Crawford never got tagged

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Crawford never got tagged

After watching the replay Crawford never got tagged after crashing into the catcher.   

Tough call!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Re: Crawford never got tagged

No good reason why challenges and instant replay aren't allowed on all close plays at a base.

That said, I'm stunned Crawford actually got on base. Good for him, he should be out of the 200's OBP before season end.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

But he also never touched the plate, which the catcher was lying on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged:
    No good reason why challenges and instant replay aren't allowed on all close plays at a base. That said, I'm stunned Crawford actually got on base. Good for him, he should be out of the 200's OBP before season end.
    Posted by softylaw

You once again can't concentrate on the thread topic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

No good reason why challenges and instant replay aren't allowed on all close plays at a base

You, once again, have no reading comprehension and add nothing but drivel to the thread topic. You are an idiot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

I refuse to give up on Crawford.  What's happened to him this season is nothing short of bizarre.  One of these days he's going to go to the ballpark and be the Carl Crawford we dreaded playing against for years.  Hopefully it will happen at the end of the month when the Yanks roll in, this time with Arod batting cleanup. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

he was out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i thought he should have slid.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mu88. Show mu88's posts

To the core of this thread, the replay pretty clearly shows that Perez's mitt, with the ball inside, never tagged Crawford. Seems to me that neither was he out ('cuz he wasn't tagged) nor was he safe ('cuz he never touched home plate). What's the rule on tagging a runner out a home? (I have a recollection that the allowable home plate collisions mean that the rule might be different from at other bases.) Can anyone help?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

No good reason why challenges and instant replay aren't allowed on all close plays at a base. That said, I'm stunned Crawford actually got on base. Good for him, he should be out of the 200's OBP before season end.
    Posted by softylaw

wanna bet?

also, i know a way jd crawford can get on base almost every game;
    make him the highest paid pinch runner in the history of baseball.
    put that one on theo's resume.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I refuse to give up on Crawford.  What's happened to him this season is nothing short of bizarre.  One of these days he's going to go to the ballpark and be the Carl Crawford we dreaded playing against for years.  Hopefully it will happen at the end of the month when the Yanks roll in, this time with Arod batting cleanup. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2

What is bizarre about a player swinging half heartedly, stinking up the joint, and continuing to deploy a stance who knows why he's using it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE  One of these days he's going to go to the ballpark and be the Carl Crawford we dreaded playing against for years. 
    Posted by fenwayjack2[/QUOTE]

It needs to happen soon...real soon.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]To the core of this thread, the replay pretty clearly shows that Perez's mitt, with the ball inside, never tagged Crawford. Seems to me that neither was he out ('cuz he wasn't tagged) nor was he safe ('cuz he never touched home plate). What's the rule on tagging a runner out a home? (I have a recollection that the allowable home plate collisions mean that the rule might be different from at other bases.) Can anyone help?
    Posted by mu88[/QUOTE]

(I have a recollection that the allowable home plate collisions mean that the rule might be different from at other bases.)

not sure mu88,

could be, but I don't think so

I just think the ump called him out prematurely and no one argued

because they assumed he tagged him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged :  not sure mu88,   could be, but I don't think so I just think the ump called him out prematurely and no one argued because they assumed he tagged him
    Posted by pinstripezac32

As zac says...this was probably a premature call by the ump because if he saw that no tag was made on the runner AND the runner didn't touch the bag he would either delay his call or just call him safe!

That is how umpires are taught to call these types of situations at any bag. The onus falls on the defensive team to apply a tag, in a non-force situation, or the runner is safe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

To the core of this thread, the replay pretty clearly shows that Perez's mitt, with the ball inside, never tagged Crawford. Seems to me that neither was he out ('cuz he wasn't tagged) nor was he safe ('cuz he never touched home plate). What's the rule on tagging a runner out a home? (I have a recollection that the allowable home plate collisions mean that the rule might be different from at other bases.) Can anyone help?
    Posted by mu88

with the ball secured in his glove the ruling is that any part of his body becomes an extension of his glove in a collision at home....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It was still a good inning for Crawford--on with a single, then steals second, then third, and goes home on the short fly to CF with a terrific throw by Cabrera and a collision at the plate.  Crawford wants to win. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged : with the ball secured in his glove the ruling is that any part of his body becomes an extension of his glove in a collision at home....
    Posted by Beantowne

1st I heard of that

but your word is good enough for me  BT

well actually I tried googling it but came up empty ;-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged : with the ball secured in his glove the ruling is that any part of his body becomes an extension of his glove in a collision at home....
    Posted by Beantowne

OK Beantowne what is your source for this, since I never heard of it.

Although not easy to find here is what I could find on this type of play...it pretty says what I explained earlier:

Missed tag and missed base

This answer is from the N.A.P.B.L Umpire Manual :

"On a play at the plate, should the runner miss home plate and the fielder miss the tag on the runner, the umpire shall make no signal on the play. The runner must be tagged if he attempts to return to the plate; if he continues on his way to the bench, the defense may make an appeal."

Although it does not specifically say what the umpire does if the defense does not appeal or tag the runner after he goes to the dugout it is assumed he would be called safe since no official out call was made and the defense did not appeal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

Can you show this rule I never heard this in my life..

Posted by Beantowne

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged : OK Beantowne what is your source for this, since I never heard of it. Although not easy to find here is what I could find on this type of play...it pretty says what I explained earlier: Missed tag and missed base This answer is from the N.A.P.B.L Umpire Manual : "On a play at the plate, should the runner miss home plate and the fielder miss the tag on the runner, the umpire shall make no signal on the play. The runner must be tagged if he attempts to return to the plate; if he continues on his way to the bench, the defense may make an appeal." Although it does not specifically say what the umpire does if the defense does not appeal or tag the runner after he goes to the dugout it is assumed he would be called safe since no official out call was made and the defense did not appeal.
    Posted by Soxdog67

You can't assume he was safe simply because he never touched the base/plate. I believe once a player starts to leave the field, give himself up sought to speak, he is out, EG. dropped third strike and the batter makes no attempt to go to first and returns to dugout. This is just another example of lack of fundementals on the part of a Red Sox player. Players should never leave, or start to leave the field of play until a clear out call has been made. They teach this in Little league it's not that hard !!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged :  You can't assume he was safe simply because he never touched the base/plate. I believe once a player starts to leave the field, give himself up sought to speak, he is out, EG. dropped third strike and the batter makes no attempt to go to first and returns to dugout. This is just another example of lack of fundementals on the part of a Red Sox player. Players should never leave, or start to leave the field of play until a clear out call has been made. They teach this in Little league it's not that hard !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

Al, a wild pitch on a 3rd strike is a totally different scenario, the batter has struck out and is allowed 1st base if he decides to run out the wild pitch.

Obviously you did not watch the play itself because your 'lack of fundamentals" comment makes you look foolish, since on the play in question here, Crawford tries to separate the catcher from the ball with a head first block-type slide, and was immediately called out by the umpire.

First off, Crawford would have no idea that he was not tagged because of the premature call by the umpire. Secondly, if the umpire had withheld his call if he felt the catcher did not tag the runner than Crawford would have realized that and went to tag the bag, as the catcher would have tried to tag the runner.

A no call by the umpire is a clear indication to all players involved that the play is still live...however, if the runner happens to return to the dugout, assuming he touched the bag, and the play is not appealed by the defense, the runner would be deemed SAFE and the run would count...the onus is on the defense to make the play, either with a tag or on appeal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged : OK Beantowne what is your source for this, since I never heard of it. Although not easy to find here is what I could find on this type of play...it pretty says what I explained earlier: Missed tag and missed base This answer is from the N.A.P.B.L Umpire Manual : "On a play at the plate, should the runner miss home plate and the fielder miss the tag on the runner, the umpire shall make no signal on the play. The runner must be tagged if he attempts to return to the plate; if he continues on his way to the bench, the defense may make an appeal." Although it does not specifically say what the umpire does if the defense does not appeal or tag the runner after he goes to the dugout it is assumed he would be called safe since no official out call was made and the defense did not appeal.
    Posted by Soxdog67

Disagree; he would be out 'cause he left the baseline.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged : Disagree; he would be out 'cause he left the baseline.
    Posted by nhsteven

What??  Once a runner crosses home plate he's left the baseline! So any player who missed the plate and goes back to tag it would be out, solely for the reason you specify.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

he was out
    Posted by redsoxlaxer12
    He was out only because the umpire called him out.Just like butler hit a HR to beat the Spankees just because the umpire called it a HR. In carl's case the catcher caught the bal and turned away from Crawford as he was slamming into him and he never tagged him with the glove and ball or even just the ball. It didn't matter in the grand scheme of things but it is another disturbing bad call against the Sox that have happened in the last two weeks...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford never got tagged : What??  Once a runner crosses home plate he's left the baseline! So any player who missed the plate and goes back to tag it would be out, solely for the reason you specify.
    Posted by Soxdog67

However, he never crossed the plate, so he was out of the baseline first. If he touched the plate, I believe he's safe.

Sections
Shortcuts