Crawford will never be worth the money

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Crawford will never be worth the money

Excuse the Crawford fixation but he continues to look horribly bad at the plate.  To the point where you have to wonder why the press has been so silent on this matter.  He has been so bad I cannot remember a player in Boston getting treated so kindly.  He seems nice and you do root for the guy but if you watch him you cannot get away from the fact that he has been awful and is making 142 million dollars.  Shocking.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford will never be worth the money:
    [QUOTE]Question: How come when the FO overpays for a high profile FA many blame the market ("the Werth contract made me do it"). But when the FO let's one of its own walk (Johny Damon let's say), it's becaue of a keen assessment of "value" that they absolutely will not go above. Seems that for their own players, value is absolute while for non Red Sox free agents value is relative (to the market).
    Posted by futbal[/QUOTE]

futbal, this has been my beef with management through the entire Epstein regime. The FO simply assess outside talent like it's the end-all, got to have Flavor of the Month--think Drew, think Dice-K, think Lackey, think Crawford, think Beltre (who at least earned his money through and through)--but in his case only a 1-year deal. It's just ridiculous the way the team jobs its own pending free agents by using their fuzzy math to determine this guy is asking for too much, and that guy is overstepping what he wants in years. Yet, they gave 5 years to Lackey, 7 years to CC. It's just insane. Why give money out to guys WHO HAVE NOT PROVEN THEY CAN HANDLE BOSTON...didn't Renteria give Theo a perfect example of a player who signed a big contract at the time, and realized before a season was over that he could not handle playing in the Fish Bowl of Fenway. You know when the Dodgers brought in Jackie Robinson, it was a grill interview process by Branch Rickey, and it was methodical what they wanted to make sure they were doing before simply signing Robinson. With the way everything has changed in the media, the way things are, you'd think maybe they could have done some interviews with CC and Lackey to talk about the pressures of playing for the Sox. Renteria simply couldn't handle Boston, and Tony LaRussa even warned the Sox that they were making a mistake. CC has other issues, but I don't think the Sox FO ever took into account that maybe you need to do more research on Flavors of the Month, sometimes it just doesn't fit. Some guys thrive not being in a big city, some guys relish it--Schilling, Manny, Beltre. CC is not a guy who was ready for this market, and not a guy who was close to being worth 142 million over 7 years. Not close by a long shot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Floridamorgan. Show Floridamorgan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will never be worth the money : What exactly is the "hottest tier in baseball" ?
    Posted by -)TheBabe(-[/QUOTE]

The hottes tier in baseball now is the #1, 2, & 3 teams in the American League East - the Sox, the Yankees, and the Rays.  It promises to be a white-knickler all the way through September.  None of the three is going to fade & the talents of the players & field management involved make it likely that they'll dominate the League play 'till one is in the Series.

You like another race?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

I guess it's irrelevant, what amount of money they signed him for. The fact that they signed anybody other than Gonzo for 7 years is unbelievable. On that subject , what team ever signed two players for mega buck 7 year deals in the same season before. Point being wouldn't you want to see if the first one worked out , at least for a season.

They sign Crawford for Gonzo money, a guy with no arm, very little plate discipline, he never had a great OBP. I thought OBP was a big factor for Theo. Crawford's OBP numbers were fair at best.

He had a hat trick today against a right handed pitcher , from the team he played for last year. So he knew what Niemann"s stuff was like. He looked terrible. Great signing Theo.

I was never a JD Drew fan, but Drew was a bargain compared to this stiff. He played the most difficult position in the outfield, he had a great arm, got a great jump on the ball , caught everything he got his hands on. He wasn't a great hitter , but useful, had a few hot streaks , carried the team twice , that I can remember. Crawford makes errors, has no arm, and his hitting. Take out his little 9 for 11 last week and he's hitting .230 and that's a weak .230.

Question is, what do they do? he's untradeable. They just have to wait and hope I guess. He is a lot worse than his .246 average would suggest.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

He's a #9 Hitter and plays an average at best left field, LEFT field and left field in Fenway mind you, and his base running is virtually non-existent.  Bottom line is he is pretty darn close to a ZERO TOOL PLAYER.  He's playing like a 4 or 5th OF'er, making minimum wage, on a basement dweller.  But hey, the good news is that you get to hear me complain for another 6 years now that Nancy Boy is sent back home to his seventy-million dollar estate........

1-Ellsbury L, CF
    2-Pedey R, 2B
    3-Gonzalez L, 1B
    4-Youk R, 3B
    5-Ortiz L, DH
    6-Lowrie S, SS
    7-Reddick L, RF
    8-Salty S, C
    9-Crawford L, LF

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The fact that Crawford has not been ridiculed more is what is surprising.  He would have been benched, traded or sent down if the contract had not been signed.  He is untouchable in the worst sense unless he finds a way to play like last year.  Watching him now, last year seems like eons ago.   There is so little outrage about this guy it seems CC is so ineffectual he is invisible.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

[QUOTE]The fact that Crawford has not been ridiculed more is what is surprising.  He would have been benched, traded or sent down if the contract had not been signed.  He is untouchable in the worst sense unless he finds a way to play like last year.  Watching him now, last year seems like eons ago.   There is so little outrage about this guy it seems CC is so ineffectual he is invisible.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

In this day of social networking perhaps you can get onto Facebook, etc. and organize a mass demonstration for Friday noon hour on the Boston Commons. It would be a good barometer of how fed up RSN is with CC. "I've had it with CC and I'm not going to take it anymore" should be heard from every open window from Revere to Peabody. If RSN won't go to the demonstration then get them to come here and sign the petition. Something really needs to be done about this.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Phil,
    Just commenting on something that is running counter to decades of past Boston sports press behavior.  Crawford is horrible and it is one of the most noteworthy poor performances in modern sports free agent signings.  It is nothing more than that and it is noteworthy enough to discuss on boston sports blog. Find another thread where the discussion suits you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

I watched a game for the first time in awhile and seeing Crawford hit was beyond pathetic.  He is way past lost at the plate.  Grant it, Niemann is a good pitcher, but he swung at every pitch that was thrown up there.  The last pitch in his 3rd K was a foot outside and a foot high.  He couldn't have hit it with a 4 foot long bat.

Despite all his faults JD Drew NEVER looked this lost at the plate (except maybe this year, but given he basically packed it in and coasted this year, that's to be expected).

I knew the day he signed ($140 million for a .280/15 HR hitter), this was going to be one of the 5 biggest free agent busts of ALL TIME.  I stand by that prediction.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Crawford is hitting .251.
    Jayson Werth is hitting .226.
    Vernon Wells is hitting .203.
    Adam Dunn is hitting .162.

Yes, I know, Wells wasn't a free agent, but it was a salary dump so pretty much the same thing.

We've got company, anyway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford is hitting .251. Jayson Werth is hitting .226. Vernon Wells is hitting .203. Adam Dunn is hitting .162. Yes, I know, Wells wasn't a free agent, but it was a salary dump so pretty much the same thing. We've got company, anyway.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

What's Lance Berkman hitting?

(Hint: look at the leader board for OPS. He's the guy at .988 in bold print.)

Other options were to play DMac/Reddick/Kalish and spend the money on othr positions or extend current player's deals.

Yes, hindisght is 20/20, but that is the way all GMs are judged.  Fair? Maybe not, but it is the nature of the business.

For some of us, this is not an argument in hindsight. There were several of us who said the deal was bad on day one. I mentioned that it would "cripple our future options". Already, we are hearing about how this deal will effect Jacoby's deal and possibility that he walks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will never be worth the money : What's Lance Berkman hitting? (Hint: look at the leader board for OPS. He's the guy at .988 in bold print.) Other options were to play DMac/Reddick/Kalish and spend the money on othr positions or extend current player's deals. Yes, hindisght is 20/20, but that is the way all GMs are judged.  Fair? Maybe not, but it is the nature of the business. For some of us, this is not an argument in hindsight. There were several of us who said the deal was bad on day one. I mentioned that it would "cripple our future options". Already, we are hearing about how this deal will effect Jacoby's deal and possibility that he walks.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Berkman's another one of those NL guys.  His OPS for the Yankees last year was .707.  Well OK, I have no idea if that first sentence is true, but nobody can disprove it either.

moon, you were absolutely opposed to the Crawford signing from Day One, I know that.  

Personally I think fivekatz's assessment that Crawford was partially a 'box office' signing rings very true.

At the end of the day the deal is done and we've got 6+ years to deal with.

I think CC needs to start studying some Curtis Granderson video. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will never be worth the money : Berkman's another one of those NL guys.  His OPS for the Yankees last year was .707.  Well OK, I have no idea if that first sentence is true, but nobody can disprove it either. moon, you were absolutely opposed to the Crawford signing from Day One, I know that.   Personally I think fivekatz's assessment that Crawford was partially a 'box office' signing rings very true. At the end of the day the deal is done and we've got 6+ years to deal with. I think CC needs to start studying some Curtis Granderson video. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  I remember all that was going on around that signing and it was a foregone conclusion that CC was going to the Yankees. 

I (along with most of the board) was ecstatic when he signed with the Sox, for two reasons.  1) This guy's a quality OF with good offensive #'s who's going to help this team immediately (Hey, you can't be right ALL the time!  LOL), and 2) The Yankees didn't get him.

No doubt in my mind that it was at least partially a PR move.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-)TheBabe(-(. Show )-)TheBabe(-('s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will never be worth the money : Absolutely.  I remember all that was going on around that signing and it was a foregone conclusion that CC was going to the Yankees.  I (along with most of the board) was ecstatic when he signed with the Sox, for two reasons.  1) This guy's a quality OF with good offensive #'s who's going to help this team immediately (Hey, you can't be right ALL the time!  LOL), and 2) The Yankees didn't get him. No doubt in my mind that it was at least partially a PR move.

Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

The Yanks weren't going to sign jd crawful

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I was praying the Angels would sign CC, didn't happen

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Copied & Pasted from a Post I made awhile back but still appropropiate:

Crawford, A Manchurian Candidate...Yup, sure, the expression is  "tongue & cheek” implying that Tampa Bay brainwashed him so that he sabotages us from winning our division & , perhaps, not even being a wild card as the Rays hoped to be the major challenge to the Yankees. But you know,  I almost dread it when he comes to bat but for $145 mil($20mil per year) I should have the same excitement as I do when Ellsbury, Pedroia, Gonzalez come to bat.  Maybe he’ll come out of it and this is just a bad year. But I would rather have saved the money and had our old friend, Johnny Damon.   Yup, he’s some 9-10 years older and maybe only has 1-2 years remaining and when he left the Yankees & went to the Tigers, we tried to get him but he didn’t want to return to us and said it wasn’t a question of money.  When some says, “It’s not a question of money", ask the question again !  But having had Damon last year, this & one more perhaps I’d have been happy & we’d have had “mucho dinero”  to have perhaps gone after Cliff Lee and others so that we wouldn’t be in so much in anguish now about our pitching staff. Could have picked up some more offense too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]When some says, “It’s not a question of money", ask the question again !  But having had Damon last year, this & one more perhaps I’d have been happy & we’d have had “mucho dinero”  to have perhaps gone after Cliff Lee and others so that we wouldn’t be in so much in anguish now about our pitching staff. Could have picked up some more offense too.
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sure, we could have gone after Cliff Lee.  That would have been quite the exercise in futility.  Not even the Yanks could come up with enough money to keep him from going where he really wanted. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

The Crawford signing GUARANTEES Ellsbury signs elsewhere

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

The archives must have some threads on the time period when Crawford was signed. It would be a good read and I'll bet that many of the present day bashers were ecstatic on that day. Of course, fans have the right to be fair weather, fickle, two-faced, hypocritical, and users of 20-20 hindsight. Chronic whining and venting is spoken here. Take your place in the long line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from )-)TheBabe(-(. Show )-)TheBabe(-('s posts

[QUOTE]The archives must have some threads on the time period when Crawford was signed. It would be a good read and I'll bet that many of the present day bashers were ecstatic on that day. Of course, fans have the right to be fair weather, fickle, two-faced, hypocritical, and users of 20-20 hindsight. Chronic whining and venting is spoken here. Take your place in the long line.

Posted by PawsoxPhil[/QUOTE]

Another solid baseball post from the pikester....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

The front office seemed ecstatic the day Crawford signed. And today? How about Crawford, you think he's happy how things are going? c'mon, get real, even without the money involved, nobody is happy about his performance.  His OBP is .287; Jack Clark's was .350 in his last (awful) season with the Sox; Renteria .335 in his only season; JD Drew averged .378 in his prior 4 seasons and this year .317. Hopefully Crawford turns it around but so far he has been an epic bust.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYSoxFan9. Show NYSoxFan9's posts

Anybody see the ball he should have had but was too afraid of the wall?
    Anybody see the way he runs out grounders?
    Anybody see the way he walked after Damon's double?
    This guy is plaing for a check

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will never be worth the money : Absolutely.  I remember all that was going on around that signing and it was a foregone conclusion that CC was going to the Yankees.  I (along with most of the board) was ecstatic when he signed with the Sox, for two reasons.  1) This guy's a quality OF with good offensive #'s who's going to help this team immediately (Hey, you can't be right ALL the time!  LOL), and 2) The Yankees didn't get him. No doubt in my mind that it was at least partially a PR move.
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

I'll give you credit for admitting you were for the signing

and part of it probably was for PR

but it had nothing to do with the yanks

they weren't not players in the cc negotiations

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

All I know is even when he was hitting a bit, there was a recent game at Fenway, Sox down by a run, 2 outs, Reddick up...v Rivera...the easiest guy in baseball to steal on in my opinion...Crawford stood on 1st, never leaving as Reddick struck out looking. If Reddick hit a single, Crawford wasn't going to score because the one thing I thought he was supposed to bring to the Sox--the speed, steal factor--he chose to ignore. This guy is toast. I don't care if he got thrown out stealing, for him not to run in that situation was simply pathetic. I'm pretty sure they did not have a red light for Craw in that situation either. 

Sections
Shortcuts