Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust!

In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust! : I guess it's more important to draw a walk then to knock the ball out of the park???......The most productive hitters are the ones who can drive THEMSELVES in.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]That's a cliche with limtations. IMO you win more games with JD Drew in RF than you do Adam Dunn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Again, Drew was not brought here to be a table setter.  He was brought here to be an RBI guy.  To knock in runners if pitchers decided to work around Ortiz and Manny.  Those are Theo's words.  Read the article I sent. 

Therefore, based on THEO's EXPECTATIONS, Drew did NOT meet them.

Period.  End of story. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from odessagolfer. Show odessagolfer's posts

Let's look at it this way.  There is no one playing professional sports that is "worth" what they are paid.  They are paid because we will pay more and more to see them.  It's as simple as that.  So, that being said, I don't think either of payouts are too far off base.

CC will ultimately hit .290 with 18hrs and 85 rbi.   He'll have lots of doubles and triples, will score a lot of runs and will steal a bunch of bases.  Drew will continue to take a walk over a hit and will score a lot of runs.  They both play exceptional outfield and although CC may be more likely to make "Sportcenter", JD gets to most balls and still has a great arm.

I have always had one major challenge with Drew.  Without question, he is a professional hitter.  He has a great eye and knows the strike zone.  However, he has never seemed to want to go to LF with an outside pitch.  Never!  He may send some outside pitches up the middle and that's because he's trying to pull everything.

Watch his swing.  He is pulling off the ball every time he swings in hopes of pulling the pitch.  In the twilght of his career, he should do as Papi has and gone with the pitch.  Ortiz hasn't hit this many balls to  LF in the entire time he has been here.  He has finally realized that he has as much power to LF as he does to all other fields and he's not hitting as many 420' blasts to dead center.  Why?  BECAUSE HE TOO WAS TRYING TO PULL EVERYTHING!

Now he is hitting line shots into the left center gap or off the wall and over the wall.  If JD would just go with the pitch, his average would climb 30 points in a heartbeat.  I'm sure of it.

There is no such thing as "old dogs new tricks" in baseball as hitters re-invent themselves all of the time.  I just can't understand why Magedon hasn't tried to force JD to go with the pitch.  In the last year of his deal, doing that would almost guarantee that he will get a 2-3 year deal with some team next year.

Just My Thoughts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I'd take Adam Dunn's bat over Drew's bat any day of the week.  You have to assume they would both DH otherwise, that is a different discussion (comparing DH's to position players)........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2 of Drew's most important plays in the field he butchered.

Last year in Tampa with the winning run on 3rd base....fly ball down the line....foul ground.....what does he do?  He makes the catch and the runner scores....let the ball drop!

G2, 2008 ALCS......B/10th in Tampa.......Shallow fly ball...Winning run on 3rd.....instead of getting behind the ball and timing the catch to get his momentum to make a strong throw....Drew camps under the ball and makes a weak FLAT-FOOTED toss home.....Game over.......

So.......generally speaking he is a decent OF'er but he is FAR from above average.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust!:
    [QUOTE]Again, Drew was not brought here to be a table setter.  He was brought here to be an RBI guy.  To knock in runners if pitchers decided to work around Ortiz and Manny.  Those are Theo's words.  Read the article I sent.  Therefore, based on THEO's EXPECTATIONS, Drew did NOT meet them. Period.  End of story. 
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]You are taking a single sound bite before a single game was ever played and making not just the foundation of your argument but the scope of the conversation. This was said before Mike Lowell was on fire and Drew started out slow.

This is almost as silly as saying the RS saw Jonathan Papelbon as starting pitcher in 2007, so the fact that he did not give them 200 IP means he failed to meet Epstein's expectations. Period. End of story.

Drew's career is probably winding down, certainly in Boston it is. I would have thought this would be a good time to switch gears and adopt CC now as your favorite RS to beat Epstein over the head with.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust! : Much of the premise Moon presents is that we had Cameron. I think the RS confidence in Cameron was defined first by the Crawford signing and punctuated by Reddick not just being called up but played against Detroit in the last two games. Perhaps I should have said that the RS needed a RF by 2012 and need a RH power bat to augment what they were short of at the AAA level. In 2011 they needed to improve their OF if they were going to bring their offense down to league average or below at catcher. As for speed, I happen to agree it has a real value.   I am Isurprised or didn't notice your bringing this same passion to a defense of Ellsbury'shard to quantify value in the past. Moon certainly seemed to minimize it. While there are obvious details that vary between the two players (Drew's defense because of where he plays both position and home dimension make his defense more valuable than the occasional gap web-gem you can get with CC and CCs speed is different than Drew's astute base running. Drew is better judge of balls and strikes and therefore will keep the "line moving' more often. That wasn't the point I saw in the OP. These are two guys that in the minds of fans were signed to the big money. Neither will likely deliver 100 RBI or 30 HRs a year. Both find LH pitching to be like kryptonite. Both are likely to be seen as failing to deliver on their contracts. And what you can't measure is a hard way to prove them wrong BTW. Defending Drew while futile as this thread will porve out before it joins the other 25,982 Drew blows threads, at least it has tradition stats to be poo-poed.  If you get past the nuances they are very similar signings in the context of how fans will preceive them and honestly Crawford is probably over compensated even for a rich club like the RS.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I never make it a point to point out the obvious, which is the case with Jake's speed. His assets clearly outweigh the 'unfinished product'.

As for CC, I initially didn't like the prospect of his potential signing. But when I began to think of it in terms of CRAWBURY (Ellsford is a bit high class for a team recognized by it's dirt-dogs:) I recognized the many intangibles at play.

And to be honest, how much recognition these intangibles get on this board is of no relevance.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust! : I never make it a point to point out the obvious, which is the case with Jake's speed. His assets clearly outweigh the 'unfinished product'. As for CC, I initially didn't like the prospect of his potential signing. But when I began to think of it in terms of CRAWBURY ( Ellsford is a bit high class for a team recognized by it's dirt-dogs:) I recognized the many intangibles at play. And to be honest, how much recognition these intangibles get on this board is of no relevance.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]Beyond the context of this discussion that is a very accurate statement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

A single sound bite?  This was the entire basis for the giving JD Drew such a huge contract - to bat 5th.  He's not a 5 -hole hitter.  The expectations were not met.  Case closed.......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

LF-Carl Crawford, CF-Jacoby Ellsbury, RF-Assorted Characters--2011
    LF-Assorted Characters, CF-Mike Cameron-More Assorted Characters, JD Drew-2010

...uh, let me think, what would I rather have...hmmm....still thinking...yeah, i think I'm taking 2011 OF.....

I love the Sox. And to this day, I don't know why, but I love JD Drew. I'd rather have JD Drew as my (No. 6 starter) "No. 4 Outfielder" then not have a JD Drew at all. He is serviceable in the outfield, still plays strong defense, and still gets on base, and still gets some key, clutch hits, and still goes on 2-3 game walkabouts concerning his health. He gave an interview to ESPN Radio one morning and he was so insightful, and engaging, you'd have been wondering if he had taken some pep pills prior to the interview. I think the guy will be all-time enigma, but he did his job in 2007 and that's fine by me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

My issue with Carl is/was not his ability, but his resemblance to Jacoby Ellsbury...but paying him ridiculous dollars, like they did with Lackey. and I still think Carl sometimes will be lost out there next to the Monster, which he showed a lot of while a member of the Rays. With that said, Carl is crushing the ball right now and so is Jacoby...the new gold-dust twins.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It's the CRAWBURY tandem that's lethal. Remember, Manny's numbers closely resembled Papi's...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

There's more than factors into free agent signings than "this player is this good, so he should make x amount of money". It'd be great if you could sign players for exactly what their numbers say they're worth for exactly as long as they're capable of delivering those numbers, but that's just not how it works. If JD Drew is the top RF available in an off season where there aren't many great options for RF, he's probably going to get a big contract. If a team needs to fill a certain position, they'd probably value and pay a player more than other teams might, even just a year or two before or after.

I never had a problem with Drew's contract. It's a lot of money per season, yes, but if you want talented players via free agency, you have to pay a price to get them. I like Drew, and I admitt he didn't deliver quite as much as I would have liked to see him deliver, but how has Drew's presence effected the Sox in a negative way? Where are the examples of the team struggling or coming up short 100% because of JD Drew? Are there any direct examples of them passing on talented players because Drew makes $3 or $4 million more than he probably should? 

This is a team that's made a habit of throwing money away to fix mistakes. Considering they've paid players to play for other teams more than once, I don't mind paying someone like Drew a bit more to actually play and contribute for the Red Sox. If Drew were traded tomorrow, season tickets aren't going to drop. Merchandise won't be cheaper, bottles of coke will still be $6....Drew's a good player, who's probably contributing more in the field than with his bat right now, but they don't win the world series in 2007 without him. They don't force game 7 against Tampa Bay in 2008 without him.

As for Crawford, I'm shocked he's getting so much heat already. Does anyone remember playing against him? He's a good player, off to a slow start, likely due to him trying to fit into a new team after playing his entire career with Tampa, and due to the pressure of the contract he signed....he's used to playing in Tampa where nobody notices the team until they make the playoffs. Now he's in Boston where he's being evualuated after every at bat because his huge contract and, I suspect, history as a rival teams star player, put a huge target on his back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]There's more than factors into free agent signings than "this player is this good, so he should make x amount of money". It'd be great if you could sign players for exactly what their numbers say they're worth for exactly as long as they're capable of delivering those numbers, but that's just not how it works. If JD Drew is the top RF available in an off season where there aren't many great options for RF, he's probably going to get a big contract. If a team needs to fill a certain position, they'd probably value and pay a player more than other teams might, even just a year or two before or after. I never had a problem with Drew's contract. It's a lot of money per season, yes, but if you want talented players via free agency, you have to pay a price to get them. I like Drew, and I admitt he didn't deliver quite as much as I would have liked to see him deliver, but how has Drew's presence effected the Sox in a negative way? Where are the examples of the team struggling or coming up short 100% because of JD Drew? Are there any direct examples of them passing on talented players because Drew makes $3 or $4 million more than he probably should?  This is a team that's made a habit of throwing money away to fix mistakes. Considering they've paid players to play for other teams more than once, I don't mind paying someone like Drew a bit more to actually play and contribute for the Red Sox. If Drew were traded tomorrow, season tickets aren't going to drop. Merchandise won't be cheaper, bottles of coke will still be $6....Drew's a good player, who's probably contributing more in the field than with his bat right now, but they don't win the world series in 2007 without him. They don't force game 7 against Tampa Bay in 2008 without him. As for Crawford, I'm shocked he's getting so much heat already. Does anyone remember playing against him? He's a good player, off to a slow start, likely due to him trying to fit into a new team after playing his entire career with Tampa, and due to the pressure of the contract he signed....he's used to playing in Tampa where nobody notices the team until they make the playoffs. Now he's in Boston where he's being evualuated after every at bat because his huge contract and, I suspect, history as a rival teams star player, put a huge target on his back.
    Posted by Modano09[/QUOTE]Excellent analysis modan. And once Crawford gets comfortable as a Red Sox, which he currently appears to be doing, people will see why Theo went all out to get him. He absolutely tormented us every time we played Tampa.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

The key question about JD Drew is what was the opportunity cost of not acquiring him prior to 07.  Who was available and would have likely filled the void?  And when addressing this question, it is important to consider what the Red Sox would have had to have given up to acquire comparable talent.  If the Red Sox overpaid, it was to fill a void.  While he may not have filled the role as a number 5 hitter, Mike Lowell stepped in, and Drew's other assets in terms of getting on base and playing a solid rightfield were valuable enough in a larger context for completing the winning team that the fans demanded and this management team did their best to oblige. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

[QUOTE]The key question about JD Drew is what was the opportunity cost of not acquiring him prior to 07.  Who was available and would have likely filled the void?  And when addressing this question, it is important to consider what the Red Sox would have had to have given up to acquire comparable talent.  If the Red Sox overpaid, it was to fill a void.  While he may not have filled the role as a number 5 hitter, Mike Lowell stepped in, and Drew's other assets in terms of getting on base and playing a solid rightfield were valuable enough in a larger context for completing the winning team that the fans demanded and this management team did their best to oblige. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It's a domino effect. So you pass on Drew. Now you don't have a RF. And Drew was brought in to fill the RF role and be a 3/4/5 hitter. So you need to fill that role to (at the time you don't know Lowell's going to step up like he did.)...What are the options? Sign two players to fill each role? Trade for a player who can supply both? That means you're weakening your team either in the present or the future and someone who was either on the 2007 WS team or a part of their success since then isn't there...not to mention that with them shuffling the line up around like that they may not actually be saving money.

I don't know why it's still talked about so much. They won a WS, of which Drew was a key part of. He's had some clutch playoff hits. He plays solid defense. There's nothing he does that's holding the team back. If you ignore the money he makes, he's a fine ball player. The money puts a target on him, but it's not our money, and it's not going to drastically effect pay roll of Drew's traded tomorrow. It'd rather give Drew an added $4 million a year than throw it away on the usual annual "low risk/high reward" guys who give very little reward but get their money anyway. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust! : The media said Drew was going to bat 3rd or 4th if Manny left. Look back at what Epstein was demanding for Manny after the 2006 season. There never was much of chance the RS were going to trade Ramirez was being paid once again at market value and the RS were only on the hook for two seasons and had two team options. This in fact highlights the things that made Drew fall so short of fan expectations. The RS needed to replace Trot Nixon. Trot was called a poor man's JD Drew. They went out and spent the money to get the full priced one. They were willing to pay the price because they had a short but clear window. VTek and Schilling were ready to head into their twilights and Ortiz and Ramirez were about to begin the years of downward trajectory. The NYY were clearly in as much of a transition faze as a team with their resources is ever going to be and the Rays had not emerged. I sincerely doubt that the RS with their ability to parse stats and spray charts ever thought a guy who had only had 100 RBI once and 30 HRs once was going to do that every year in the AL East playing 81 games in Fenway Park. Only the fans and mediots did IMHO. Andrewmitch I will grant you this, Drew's 2007 was below Epstein's expectations but not by a margin that matter much to him given the alternatives he had available to him that winter. And over the first 3 years of the deal because this is when Epstein said he felt Drew fully met his expectations, he did.     
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

That's the key.  Hardly anybody on this board is more hypercritical than andrewmitch (and that's saying a lot).  I would like to see these grousers tell us what the Red Sox's alternatives were that offseason for rightfield and who was going to fill the void there.  Imagine the flack Red Sox management would have received for doing nothing and waiting for talent to develop on the farm, or what the fallout would have been from acquiring one of the other busts that were available that offseason.  For the record, Trot Nixon hit .251, OPS .677, with 3 home runs in 99 games for the Indians in 2007.  He played 11 games for the Mets in 2008 before retiring.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust!:
    [QUOTE]There's been a lot of questioning of Crawford because of his shaky start with the Sox, let's analyze a few things, and people are surprisingly ready to jump ship on a fantastic player. Let's look at him for a minute, while we’re at it, let’s clear J.D. Drew of his bad name! You cannot argue against having Crawford on your team when it comes to the player . He’s a great on both offense and defense, can hit for power, gaps, and has speed. The only thing you can argue against is whether or not he’s worth 20 million. Where not player is truly worth that much money, you can justify signings based on other signings. Perspective worth if you will. To judge Crawford’s 20 millions you need to start by looking at why he was signed . It's easy to look at 20 million dollars and assume that you should be expecting a 30 home run guy, but that's not what the Sox signed him to be. For 14 million dollars a year the Red Sox signed, J.D. Drew. This signing was made for his high OPS, and his defensive skills he had shown throughout his career, not for the 100RBI's he batted in the year before like many say. Modern day baseball GM’s try to stay away from RBI as a tool to figure out who to sign, because it can vary year to year, especially dependent on who is around you.   J.D. is not a bust, it’s easy to look at his RBI totals and proclaim that he was, but he has not been a bust. He’s given us an OPS of above .790 in every year of his contract, and in ’08 and ’09 he gave us OPS’s above .900, (to put that in perspective, Jason Werth has only cracked above an .900 OPS once in his career). In this is final year, he isn’t putting up great numbers, true, but this is expected of any long contract. J.D. has given us exactly what Theo signed him for, OPS and defense. This is why Drew gave us a good WAR if around 5, 2 out of the 4 years he played for the Red Sox.   Now, if we can say that Drew wasn’t a bust for 14 million, we can predict if expected contributions from Crawford makes him likely to not be worth 20 million for seven years. Expected contributions not being 20 home runs and 100 RBI’s. To start, let’s justify the seven years. The easiest way to do this is really just to look at age, we signed J.D. for five years when he was 30, ending his contract when he’s 35. Crawford was signed for 7 years, at 29. This means if they have comparable declines, we can expect 1 more bad year from Crawford, but also 1 more good year. Crawford however, has not had the injury problems Drew had throughout his career, which may relieve him of as sharp of a decline. Then we need to look at the 20 million, if Drew is worth 14 million, then Crawford should be worth 6 million more than him. This is pretty hard to judge up, but both Crawford and Drew were signed for OPS and defense. All the monetary amounts at the end of the comparisons are certainly up for debate, this is just how if I was a GM I’d break down the justification of the extra money. In every field metric I’ve looked up, Crawford has been a much, much better defender than Drew throughout his career. It’s pretty decisive, who’s the better defender. We’ll say that earns him 2 million on Drew. Crawford has a lower OPS by about 100 points than Drew throughout his Career Pre-Sox, we’ll say that, lowers him 2 million, putting him back to J.D.’s contract number. Crawford’s WAR going into the Sox was about 36.5, Drew’s is about Pre-Sox 34.5. This is the same amount of major league seasons. We can say this gets Crawford an extra mill or so. Crawford brings speed to the table, averaging 50 stolen bases in each healthy season (2008 he missed a large portion of the season due to injury). This should push his value up as well. I’d say this gives Crawford an extra 2 million. This puts Crawford at most overpaid 3 million dollars in comparison to J.D. Drew. However this year Crawford was the best available outfielder on the market, having 12 more WAR over Werth, in 1 more season and he was younger. Werth’s ridiculous contract, paved the way for the market for outfielders. In Crawford and Drew we got great players, looking beside the RBI and Home Run totals makes this clear.  
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

No comparison.  Drew could not carry Crawford's jockstrap.  Carl is coming around now and he will make the opponent pay dearly.  By the end of the season fans will be singing Theo's praises for signing him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Crawford will not be a bust, just like J.D. Drew was not a bust! : That's the key.  Hardly anybody on this board is more hypercritical than andrewmitch (and that's saying a lot).  I would like to see these grousers tell us what the Red Sox's alternatives were that offseason for rightfield and who was going to fill the void there.  Imagine the flack Red Sox management would have received for doing nothing and waiting for talent to develop on the farm, or what the fallout would have been from acquiring one of the other busts that were available that offseason.  For the record, Trot Nixon hit .251, OPS .677, with 3 home runs in 99 games for the Indians in 2007.  He played 11 games for the Mets in 2008 before retiring.   
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

When Drew struggled to start the season, an alternative I thought of would be to keep Nixon for one more year, platoon him with a rookie or pick up a bench player and shoot for Ichiro the following off season. Of course that depended on him reaching free agency and being interested in Boston, which was a moot point once he re-signed with Seattle during the season...I can't remember who was available during the 2006 or 2007 off seasons, but I can't see their being a better option than Drew to take you from 2007 to 2011.

Also, people forget the 2006 season. The Sox dropped out of the race early and were destroyed by the Yankees in an important 5 game series. They turned down trade offers during the season, not wanting to give up their prospects, many of which saw playing time during the year and were rocked...fans were unhappy, and from articles I recall reading, some veteran players weren't thrilled with the idea of not contending for a couple of years while the youth was ready...so they wanted to get back into contention the next season. Much like missing the playoffs last year sent them in a mission to improve this off season, they did the same in 2006. They needed Drew, so they paid the price for him. Same with Lugo. They dropped $100 million to bring in Dice-K. I'd rather have given Drew $14 million than trade prospect John Lester for Andruw Jones, which was offered at the trade deadline...you can't have it both ways, complaining when they don't make a move or spend money and then complaining years later when they do.

I don't know why it's still an issue. Drew performed well for them, they made the playoffs 3 of the 4 years he was here, and he's hardly dragging the team down. They paid what they had to pay for him at the time, and he filled a need they had. That's free agency, that's economics. If Drew were one of 10 equally good RFers in 2006, he wouldn't have gotten what he did. It's supply and demand...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Crawford is going to be awesome for this team. I would certainly rather have him on our team, then playing against us, anyday -- not only for his bat, but his speed in the outfield. How many balls are going to fall in with Crawford and Ellsbury in the outfield? 

And I'll add Drew to that, since he's an extremely good fielder. I've heard he doesn't make alot of dramatic catches, because he always knows how to place himself under the ball. As for his bat, I think some people tend to focus on what he's doing in every single at bat. One thing that's for sure about Drew -- he's clutch. And if he wasn't always being beaten up by the fans for not getting every single hit, they would appreciate him more for the clutch hits he gets.  Very hard to hit in high-stakes situations, and not every batter can do it. He can, and has proven that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If Drew was not a bust than I challenge you - would you take 9 JD Drews at that salary to fill out your starting 9?

If you say yes than you would certainly have finished in last place most of the last 4 seasons.  This year you would already be about 18 games back.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

[QUOTE]If Drew was not a bust than I challenge you - would you take 9 JD Drews at that salary to fill out your starting 9? If you say yes than you would certainly have finished in last place most of the last 4 seasons.  This year you would already be about 18 games back.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

I never thought of it that way.  In fact, nobody in their right mind would think of it that way. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

If Drew was not a bust than I challenge you - would you take 9 JD Drews at that salary to fill out your starting 9? If you say yes than you would certainly have finished in last place most of the last 4 seasons. This year you would already be about 18 games back.  -- Burrito

-----------------------------------------------

Again, with the salary. Players don't have anything to do with salary -- unless they decide to take less. Salaries are negotiated by the agents who get a cut.

I like Drew, and I think fans' reactions to him have more to do with his demeanor. He's a quiet guy. You're not going to get alot of animation from him, or alot of explanation. A person's demeanor whether quiet or animated, doesn't have anything to do with who they are as a person. It's just the way the express themselves.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]2 of Drew's most important plays in the field he butchered. Last year in Tampa with the winning run on 3rd base....fly ball down the line....foul ground.....what does he do?  He makes the catch and the runner scores....let the ball drop! G2, 2008 ALCS......B/10th in Tampa.......Shallow fly ball...Winning run on 3rd.....instead of getting behind the ball and timing the catch to get his momentum to make a strong throw....Drew camps under the ball and makes a weak FLAT-FOOTED toss home.....Game over....... So.......generally speaking he is a decent OF'er but he is FAR from above average.......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

your siting 2 plays in a 5 year contract? come on AM...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]If Drew was not a bust than I challenge you - would you take 9 JD Drews at that salary to fill out your starting 9? If you say yes than you would certainly have finished in last place most of the last 4 seasons.  This year you would already be about 18 games back.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]
    That's really dumb lol.

I wouldn't take 9 David Ortiz's because I'd have no one capable of fielding. However I would take one David Ortiz.