Crawford

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Crawford

How cool was he today?  I'm so happy he had this best day -- against the Yankees, no less -- to possibly put all his struggles behind him. 

Let me be the first to call him "clutch" when it matters the most. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: Crawford

great to see him leading the rallies in the early going, he was a big factor today, just need him to be himself which is very good (I think the out-of-whack contract has hurt his performance, even at his best he didn't deserve that fat a contract & so he can't really live up to it, and it's hurt his performace trying to live up to it, so he shouldn't bother trying to live up to it because he can't).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Crawford:
    How cool was he today?  I'm so happy he had this best day -- against the Yankees, no less -- to possibly put all his struggles behind him.  Let me be the first to call him "clutch" when it matters the most. :)
    Posted by kimsaysthis

3 hits off lefty CY contender...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's because AGon is in the line-up: have not you heard?

harness, time to start an AGon distortion thread.

Wink

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford:
    great to see him leading the rallies in the early going, he was a big factor today, just need him to be himself which is very good (I think the out-of-whack contract has hurt his performance, even at his best he didn't deserve that fat a contract & so he can't really live up to it, and it's hurt his performace trying to live up to it, so he shouldn't bother trying to live up to it because he can't).
    Posted by soxnewmex

I completely agree. The pressure was alot for him as it would be for anyone. Once the negative comments start to fly, it must be so discouraging -- and doesn't help your performance at all.  I hope having this game against our biggest rivals gives him some added confidence, and some love from the fans, which, I believe can be very instrumental to his future success here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Crawford : 3 hits off lefty CY contender...
    Posted by harness

Couldn't have come at a better time against a better pitcher. He must be as thrilled as the rest of us. What a great day for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford : Couldn't have come at a better time against a better pitcher. He must be as thrilled as the rest of us. What a great day for him.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Let's hope Josh/Tek and co. put two games between the two teams Sunday.
    Big game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

3 straight hits off Sabathia following a hit off Logan Friday night, so 4 straight hits off lefties...very encouraging.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Crawford deserves credit for getting the key hit of the game. After that, the game pressure was off. Still, Ellsbury's crier near Pesky pole overshadows Crawford's better game peformance. Such is Boston.

Crawford's OBP is still embarrassing. Next year, career averages will counterweight for Crawford and his more popular groupie OF'er.

harness, time to start an AGon distortion thread.

Yes, time to say 100% certain AGon is in San Diego in spring of 2011.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Crawford was the man yesterday, Jakes 6 rbi's notwithstanding. 

Right now in my mind Ellsbury is a given, a proven performer who is helping to drive this offense:  2d in the AL in runs, 3d in hits, etc. 

But, if Crawford is coming around, that will be a heckuva boost for the Sox.  I found it interesting that Sabathia had no problem with Ortiz or AGon, but just could not get Crawford out.  Plus he stole a base. 

That said, I do recognize that the Sox are doomed this year and well into the future because they don't have a righty outfielder.  There is a little known MLB rule that says dingers, runs scored, and rbi's by lefty outfielders can be recalled at the end of the year, and a skilled lawyer like Softy is just the guy to do it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That said, I do recognize that the Sox are doomed this year and well into the future because they don't have a righty outfielder.  There is a little known MLB rule that says dingers, runs scored, and rbi's by lefty outfielders can be recalled at the end of the year, and a skilled lawyer like Softy is just the guy to do it. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

That's correct, and some of Ellsbury's homers are in big trouble due to the double whammy of their 'reverse pivot swing' and 'nearness to Pesky Pole'.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

2d in the AL in runs, 3d in hits, etc.

I belive RBI AGon is "driving the offense". 

dingers, runs scored, and rbi's by lefty outfielders can be recalled at the end of the year

Here is a little lefty outfielder recall:

v. Lhp

Ellsbury BA .250  OBP .319  SLG .439

Crawford BA .168 OBP .226 SLG .280

Reddick is 22 AB's, but his play is encouraging in that if he keeps up something fair v. Lhp and overall too early to tell, his better swing and fielding and arm make him an obvious value replacement for Ellsbury and allows a Rh OF talent like Kemp to be brought in to face pitching staffs like the phillies.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

If he performs well against the yankees and no one else, I think we'll take it at this point.

PS - You gotta think that CC is no longer the front-runner for CY at this point.....It's between Weaver and V-Man with CC and Beckett as next in line.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ellsbury is leading in groupie pink hat screams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ells' career average against LHP is just a tick below .300 softy..Thanks for moving the goalposts again..so convenient isnt it...and you actually have the nerve to tell others not to skew the numbers in their favor..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Moving the goal posts is pretending 2011 means "superstar/MVP". 2011 numbers v. Lhp are designed to net hyperbole from you et al.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Crawford:
    How cool was he today?  I'm so happy he had this best day -- against the Yankees, no less -- to possibly put all his struggles behind him.  Let me be the first to call him "clutch" when it matters the most. :)
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Nice OP, Kim.  Well deserved after a great day and after a season of undue criticism.  

To include the 2nd poster's point of the contract being out of whack, I'd like to elucidate a bit.

The contract faced several issues and was really a perfect storm, all of which can only be blamed on Carl in on of the parts.  A perfect storm, btw, is a situation where a minimum of three factors hit at one point, thus making that one point much worse (not added to in problematic issues but multiplied) to deal with than if a single issue.

1)  Carl was becoming a free agent and was having his best season ever.  

After a stellar career in Tampa, he was arguably the finest positioin FA available.  THIS IS THE ONE PLACE THE CONTRACT IS HIS FAULT.  Imagine  that, he played well enough, worked hard enough to be a perennial all star.  Stupid guy.  Why would he ever do that?

Not to mention, he was a Sox killer ....  

Nobody, and I mean nobody, said he was the 2nd coming of Ted Williams, but he was the best guy out there.  Only sarcastic "fans" later called him the 2nd coming. 

2)  The Washington Nats had just signed Jason Werth to a 7 year/ $127 million deal which skewered the FA market in an upward spiral from the get go.

3)  The Red Sox had just come off an injury plagued season, and outfield help was needed.  There was both known competition and the always lurking presence of the NYYs.  It is well known that LAA was in the hunt and in a marginal annual difference of about $2 million a season.  The larger issue was Boston added 2 more season than LAA.

4)  Having lost a star 1bman to New York in painfully close memory, the Red Sox FO said there is no way we will lose Carl to a suc ker move like before.  Top Sox brass went on record to say the BIG SPLASH was coming.  THE FO SAID THERE WAS NO WAY ON EARTH CARL WAS GONNA GET TO BE HOME IN THE BRONX.

5)  Accepting the contract in Boston is also Carl's fault.  I add this secondarily, because no one forced his hand.  But I add it because there is the inherent expense (or pressure) of the rabid Red Sox fan base that is wonderful in its support but uber-critical in its micro-move complaint area.

I would say we are that way because of the years of hardship before, but I also thought those years gave us an almost natural support for the underdog ... but success in some fan's eyes has ripped away that once pleasant part of being a Sox fan.

In short, Kim - and I'm not preaching to you, believe me - the contract IS a huge issue.

But of all the people in baseball, we ought to be happy with it! 

His difficult start ought to ellicit support and encouragement for this season and the 6 to come.

I can't see why people drive him into the ground since he's gonna a be a Sox for so long.  BUILD HIM UP!!!  HELP HIM FEEL GLAD HE'S HERE and the returns will be gratifying.

Thanks again, Kim, for this thread.  Kudos!

GO CARL!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Moving the goal posts is pretending 2011 means "superstar/MVP". 2011 numbers v. Lhp are designed to net hyperbole from you et al.
    Posted by softylaw

I am sure this will fall on deaf ears Softy.  But, if you just let it go, you could really enjoy a mighty fine season of play from Ellsbury.  I am sorry you are so hell-bent on blowing the guy up, because you are unable to appreciate some good baseball.  I hope that you can get beyond the need to disprove all of his feats.  It will greatly add to you enjoyment of Red Sox baseball if you can.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

No question that Carl Crawford is the most over paid player in BB but he is fun to watch and I am especially pleased that he is no longer our opponent. He is our player now and I will always root for him. Aside from his offensive stats that don't compare with his past achievements his intangibles, baserunning, speed, defense, will likely prove valuable come playoff time. I also believe CC would be more valuable batting further down in the order then say the 6th hole. In a tight game I'd rather see CC on base with Ells and Petey scheduled to bat.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I am sorry you are so hell-bent on blowing the guy up, because you are unable to appreciate some good baseball. I hope that you can get beyond the need to disprove all of his feats

I'm sorry you are so hell-bent on pumping the guy up. Crawford was the star of the game, and AGon is the reason for better pitches to hit in front of lineup.

I enjoy every season. I hope you can't get beyond the need to call one "not even team top 3 player or top AL 2011 CF'er" a "superstar/greatness/MVP". Recognize AGon and Ortiz, even if is natural for you to dote over Ellsbury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford : I completely agree. The pressure was alot for him as it would be for anyone. Once the negative comments start to fly, it must be so discouraging -- and doesn't help your performance at all.  I hope having this game against our biggest rivals gives him some added confidence, and some love from the fans, which, I believe can be very instrumental to his future success here.
    Posted by kimsaysthis

Kim you are right on target.  The same folks who unmercifully bash contribute to the pressure and decreased production.  They don't think they do, but I believe it has an effect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

2d in the AL in runs, 3d in hits, etc. I belive RBI AGon is "driving the offense".  dingers, runs scored, and rbi's by lefty outfielders can be recalled at the end of the year Here is a little lefty outfielder recall: v. Lhp Ellsbury BA .250  OBP .319  SLG .439 Crawford BA .168 OBP .226 SLG .280 Reddick is 22 AB's, but his play is encouraging in that if he keeps up something fair v. Lhp and overall too early to tell, his better swing and fielding and arm make him an obvious value replacement for Ellsbury and allows a Rh OF talent like Kemp to be brought in to face pitching staffs like the phillies.
    Posted by softylaw

ellsbury=MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP+MVP

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Crawford had a good game but I am afraid that if you can't even acknowledge how great a game that Ellsbury had last night that you are simply too foolish (or whatever it is you?) to even bother reading anymore.  Congratulations - you are the first memeber I have ever placed on ingore based on pure stupdity.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford : I am sure this will fall on deaf ears Softy.  But, if you just let it go, you could really enjoy a mighty fine season of play from Ellsbury.  I am sorry you are so hell-bent on blowing the guy up, because you are unable to appreciate some good baseball.  I hope that you can get beyond the need to disprove all of his feats.  It will greatly add to you enjoyment of Red Sox baseball if you can.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Well said, Spaceman.

Sections
Shortcuts