Crawford's hitting is clearly effecting his fielding

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Crawford's hitting is clearly effecting his fielding

This poor kid has LOST his confidence!  That fly ball to left, just out of reach of his glove, would have been caught behind Manny's back.  Ughhh!  Don't get me wrong!  So long Manny.  The point is, Crawford has totally lost it for now!  His fielding is just flat terrible!

I wish Tito would just move him way down in the lineup.  He clearly does not like hitting 1st in the order.  His bad hitting is ON FULL DISPLAY....  The kid needs a break from the spotlight that comes at the top of the order.  IT REALLY is effecting his whole game!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Re: Crawford's hitting is clearly effecting his fielding

With Crawford, not a strong arm, Ellsbury is one of the weaker CF'ers, the Red Sox are putting a weak OF defense on the field. Drew is still one of the better RF'ers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

When do the Sox stop being stubborn, and move him from leadoff to 3rd? Ellsbury is the leadoff man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I agree with the weak arms, but Crawford & Els are both good 'fielders.'  They are both more than capable of filling out a very good OF.  On the whole, their legs should make up for their arms???  BUT....  I think Francona simply needs to take him out of the 1 spot in the lineup.  HE looks totally lost & defeated!  Gotta give the kid a break!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Completely agree with the STUBBORN comment!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Crawford only fits in one spot, and that's leadoff. Calling him a #3 hitter was the worse mistake the Red Sox could have made. He either goes leadoff or he needs to find a seat on the bench. Ellsbury's career leadoff numbers are not impressive. Until Crawford gets out of single A mode, they'll need to platoon the leadoff spot. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

it looked like he didnt even know it was the third out in that last inning

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

He didn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

This BaseballGM guy isn't very smart. Crawford definitely is not a leadoff hitter, Ellsbury is. I believe Jacoby hit .300 from leadoff, not .130.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

For now.....  Els, Pedroi, Yuke, A-Gon., Papi, Crawford,  J.D., Lowrie, Salty

Maybe????  After Crawford is back to feeling comfortable..... you could try him at leadoff.  BUT....  I believe he has said that he does not want to hit there.

WHY does Francona not want to listen?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

For NOW.... Crawford simply NEEDS to be burried in the lineup!  I think the Boston spotlight has definitely gottn to him!  Can't hit!  Can't field!  The poor kid is OVERWHELMED!  Yes!  He's a vet., but he's still just a kid.  Fragile!  Give him a break Tito!  Too much pressure!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

For now.... Yuke makes a better table setter for A-Gon.  Great OBP, but he's still not hitting the ball like he can.  Tito could move him back to cleanup once his bat starts to roll.

p.s.   The madmen who keep talking about trading Yuke.............  I DON'T want any of whatever they're smoking.  Are they nuts!  Yuke & Pedroia are the heart of this team.  Not to mention the FACT that they both may someday be in the HOF.  Please spare us the crazy-talk!  :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

he's going to be fine. his line drive rate is right where it was last year, unfortanately his babip is awful (.167 where his average is .330) which points to a great probability that his luck will change soon.
    i predict this coming road trip will start to see the player we are used to seeing as a ray.
    he is a leo and needs a minute to get comfortable. terry is right to stick with him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Crawford has not only hit for a low average, he has hit for no pop at all. And I've seen at least 5 plays so far this year he should have caught. He is not as advertised defensively. No way. He is not even good so far in Fenway's LF. I think I'd rather see Hinske out there after the small sample size we have seen. It has not been good. Ask yourself objectively, has he played well defensively or not? I would say at this point no way.

I'm not saying he will continue to be this bad but so far he has been clearly awful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

This BaseballGM guy isn't very smart. Crawford definitely is not a leadoff hitter, Ellsbury is. I believe Jacoby hit .300 from leadoff, not .130.

I'll let the Board decide how smart you are, by looking at just the facts:

Jacoby 2011 #1 slot  BA .167  OBP  .259

Jacoby career #1 slot  BA  .279  OBP  .329  OPS  .706

Crawford career #1 slot BA .285  OBP  .320  OPS .736

Crawford is inferior to Pedroia as a #2 hitter, which is what he is. The only place for him is leadoff, where is a superior overall hitter to Ellsbury.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Folks Crawford is the real deal. Francona will do exactly what he did with Pedroia in his first year. As all the fans and media were voicing their opinions that Pedroia should go back to AAA or AA Francona stuck with him. He will do the same for Crawford and many of us will be back tracking on the comments made on this forum.
    TW remember he did the same for Ortiz last year an we all know what he ended up doing over the LONG HAUL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

The question is NOT #1 or #2 at this point.  HE NEEDs to be dropped way down in the order FOR NOW. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

If they have to keep Crawford in the line up MOVE HIM down the line He is hurting the line up being  in the 1 spot Sox need a person that can get the job down in the 1 spot AND CRAWFORD AINT IT Everytime he got up to bat today  HE GOT OUT and that has been the story of Crawford since the Sox signed him  Either KEEP him out of the line out or stick him near the end of the line up

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

BaseballGM lives to flame other folks posting on this board.  Only a troll (a.k.a. a loser) could log 587 posts in less than a month.

Back to reality...

Crawford is in the unfortunate position of having to prove his worth at the plate while adjusting to an unusual Left Field.  Yes, he's struggling at the plate.  This is something we have seen from many players during their first year in Boston.  He's just too good not to figure it out. 

I wouldn't go so far as saying its his struggles at the plate that affect his fielding.   I'd say he is struggling in both areas.  If he figures out one of them, it's not necessarily going to lead to a turn around in the other. 

I remember Dustin Pedroia in his rookie year really struggling until mid-May.  I know Crawford isn't a rookie, but it may take him until then to just get his bearings and calm down.  Once he does that, he'll be fine!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Small market player now in Boston.  Both he and Gonzalez are off to slow starts.  But Crawford is the obvious mess.

Hopefully they get over it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

No one is saying he won't pull out of it. He is even historically a slow starter. I'm saying he will never win another gold glove. That myth has been shattered already. He will eventually hit well but HE WAS NEVER A GREAT FIT IN BOSTON WORTH $142 MIL. Never.

We would have been better off saving that cash IMO. Fenway's LF is made to order for a big hit slugger type like Manny or Ordonez type in their prime. Crawford would have been a great fit in Yankee stadium if they didn't already have Gardner.

You know who is primping himself up right now for a career as a Yank....Ellsbury. Mark it down on your calendar. He is a future Yankee. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Crawford will pick it up.

Being paid a hefty contract and playing in Boston has put a lot of pressure on him. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

baseballGM,

My God!  Please stop with the interminable stats!  We've heard them ad nosium!

The whole point of the thread was NOT "would Crawford theoretically make a good leadoff hitter?"  He CLEARLY would.  Probably, but not definitely, better than Els.

THE POINT was........ does Tito need to drop the kid in the lineup to let him settle in????

Please!  Stop copying & pasting the SAME damn stats.  We got it!

Sorry to be a little abrupt! :) 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

In Response to Re: Crawford's hitting is clearly effecting his fielding:
    [QUOTE]No one is saying he won't pull out of it. He is even historically a slow starter. I'm saying he will never win another gold glove. That myth has been shattered already. He will eventually hit well but HE WAS NEVER A GREAT FIT IN BOSTON WORTH $142 MIL. Never. We would have been better off saving that cash IMO. Fenway's LF is made to order for a big hit slugger type like Manny or Ordonez type in their prime. Crawford would have been a great fit in Yankee stadium if they didn't already have Gardner. You know who is primping himself up right now for a career as a Yank....Ellsbury. Mark it down on your calendar. He is a future Yankee. 
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

If Ellsbury is a future Yankee, wouldnt that make picking up Carl Crawford a pretty smart move...even if he struggles in the short term??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Ellsbury as a Yankee?  With Scott Boras as his agent, anything is possible.

Scott Boras will even make Ellsbury go to the Nationals and team up with his other client Werth. 

Scott Boras seems more powerful than the president.  lol

Sections
Shortcuts