CtHugh - Webster is a AAAA pitcher

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: CtHugh - Webster is a AAAA pitcher

I know we keep hearing how great Webster's stuff is. When you see him, he disappoints. How many innings should he be given before we can make a judgment? I think some posters just want to be very stubborn in conceding things. With so many stats available and so many players who have struggled at first before succeeding, one can always find examples to make you stay the course. It is very easy. But often you have to believe what you are seeing. It was pretty obvious back in May and June that something was missing from this year's Sox team. But all we heard was " it' s early you idiots."  Now, the tune has changed. Is that how it is going to be with Webster ?  Too soon to tell?  Others his age are already showing what they can do. There are fresh arms coming up through the system all the time. How many chances should Webster get ? It is time for him to justify the hype. So far , I have not seen it. Not even close. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know we keep hearing how great Webster's stuff is. When you see him, he disappoints. How many innings should he be given before we can make a judgment? I think some posters just want to be very stubborn in conceding things. With so many stats available and so many players who have struggled at first before succeeding, one can always find examples to make you stay the course. It is very easy. But often you have to believe what you are seeing. It was pretty obvious back in May and June that something was missing from this year's Sox team. But all we heard was " it' s early you idiots."  Now, the tune has changed. Is that how it is going to be with Webster ?  Too soon to tell?  Others his age are already showing what they can do. There are fresh arms coming up through the system all the time. How many chances should Webster get ? It is time for him to justify the hype. So far , I have not seen it. Not even close. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Are you honestly saying 40 IP at the MLB level with no time ever getting more than 4 starts in a row is enough for anyone to know this guys future?

His GS'd:

2013:

4/21

5/8

6/22

6/28

7/4

7/9

9/29

2014:

7/27

8/2

He's had 9 starts, of which only 4 have come within 6 days of a previous ML start.

Who knows how good this kid can or will be? Not me.

He may end up as a relief pitcher or a career AAAA pitcher, but we all need more time to know what we are talking about here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

Are you honestly saying 40 IP at the MLB level with no time ever getting more than 4 starts in a row is enough for anyone to know this guys future?

His GS'd:

2013:

4/21

5/8

6/22

6/28

7/4

7/9

9/29

2014:

7/27

8/2

He's had 9 starts, of which only 4 have come within 6 days of a previous ML start.

He may end up as a relief pitcher or a career AAAA pitcher, but we all need more time to know what we are talking about here.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  I am just going by what I see. How many times do I need to see it?  He may end up being better or worse. So may anyone else. Where is all of this great stuff we keep hearing about?  At some point you have to wonder. There are pitchers his age and younger who are pitching very well. He is not. I hope that will change. But when? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

His GS'd:

2013:

4/21

5/8

6/22

6/28

7/4

7/9

9/29

2014:

7/27

8/2

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].  I am just going by what I see. How many times do I need to see it?  He may end up being better or worse. So may anyone else. Where is all of this great stuff we keep hearing about?  At some point you have to wonder. There are pitchers his age and younger who are pitching very well. He is not. I hope that will change. But when? 

[/QUOTE]
    You act like he has thrown 300 innings. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

He pitched in his home park and loaded the bases almost 2 times, with walks and you don't have a concern.

With no pressure, he'll be tough in pressure situation. This has nothing to do with talent. This is about deer in headlights. Webster looks scared. not sure of his stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

[/QUOTE]

His GS'd:

2013:

4/21

5/8

6/22

6/28

7/4

7/9

9/29

2014:

7/27

8/2

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    You act like he has thrown 300 innings. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement].    That makes no sense. If a guy has what it takes , you will see signs of it. There has been no sign of it. Not at all. The 300 innings thing is a gross exaggeration. What does it even mean? Has he shown anything to make you want to see 300 innings?  What exactly is the fascination with this guy?  I am not looking to kill him. I just want to see something to justify the hype.  I have yet to see it. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know you believe Webster is their #2 pitching prospect, but he's not. Have you not seen enough of him last year and this year to see that?

[/QUOTE]

Who do you think should be up here pitching?

[/QUOTE]

this guy is #2 and Iglesias was #12? lol  the point is that these ranking are useless as we know over 90% will never play in a ML ballpark...this is why Ben traded Lester and others for veterans who can produce - nothing and i mean nothing is more overrated the Red Sox prospects on BDC...we better find some suckers to trade these guys or invest in some <gasp> free agent signings of quality people

[/QUOTE]

Then once guys like Xander get trade and become ALL Stars, these fans will bit** and moan we gave up young talent for a quick fix. Many scouts like Xander and Betts. Doubt they are all wrong eso. some of the games best scouts from Braves, Nationals and Rays who have said Xander and Betts are going to be Stars. They are both only 21. Red Sox have no darn patience.

[/QUOTE]

Some Red Sox fans have no darn patience. The team is not run by impetuous fans.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

"Trusting your stuff." I hate the expression deer in the headlights. He's got talent but he appears to be too much of a thinker and not enough of a thrower. When a pitcher gets predictable that's not good unless he is a Maddox or Glavine and can paint. There's room for working both sides of the plate and up and down.

More time at AAA. Time for another pitcher to audition; we'll find the right ones there are plenty.

I have to say Barrett, behind the plate, did not allow for any consistency--other than he was consistently bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

I know you believe Webster is their #2 pitching prospect, but he's not. Have you not seen enough of him last year and this year to see that?

[/QUOTE]

Allen Webster has all of 38 IP for his career.  Is that really a sample size that convinves you?

Lester had a stretch of 36IP in his rookie year where he had an ERA of 7.75 and the league had an OPSA of .971.   I guess you called him an AAAA pitcher then, too..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Two points

1. Learn what prospect rankings actually rank.

2. IMO Webster could have a terrific career as a relief pitcher,

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who do you think should be up here pitching?

[/QUOTE]

this guy is #2 and Iglesias was #12? lol  the point is that these ranking are useless as we know over 90% will never play in a ML ballpark...this is why Ben traded Lester and others for veterans who can produce - nothing and i mean nothing is more overrated the Red Sox prospects on BDC...we better find some suckers to trade these guys or invest in some <gasp> free agent signings of quality people

[/QUOTE]

What's useless is using one game to make a point.

Name one good pitcher and I can find one lousy game they had, early in their careers.

But, some dopes here continue to believe one game defines a player.

Thank god stupidity isn't contagious.

[/QUOTE]

i might be out of place here...but webster has alot more bad games than good...i think he's had maybe 2 good games and the rest is just bad...i may be wrong but?

[/QUOTE]

38.1 IP.

That's the only number you need to know...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would anyone pass judgment on him today.... he has all of August and into September to show what he can do.... there is zero reason to start pounding on our newer pitchers... most of them will likely take more beatings at the hand of MLB hitters for the next two months.... as they learn and garner.

[/QUOTE]

its Ok to say he stinks because he did ...however he will have the rest of the season to prove his stuff but I think in 2015 he and Middlebrooks wont be around

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two points

[/QUOTE]

notin--I don't disagree with you about what Webster could or could not do in future years--he should work on his control and trust in himself in the minors--we have a lot of prospects that are also pretty highly regarded to see how they perfom on a big stage.

I would ask how many innings has he pitched at the minor league level? I'm sure with the Dodgers and Sox its's a pretty substantial number.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I am just going by what I see. How many times do I need to see it? He may end up being better or worse. So may anyone else. Where is all of this great stuff we keep hearing about? At some point you have to wonder. There are pitchers his age and younger who are pitching very well. He is not. I hope that will change. But when?

I wonder about every pitcher with just a 40 IP sample size, even if they start out doing very well. 

There's nothing wrong with wondering or worrying about how poorly he has looked in most of his starts, but acting like a pitcher's first 40 IP is a good predictor of what he will become is a seriously flawed methodology.

Of course there's a significant possibility he never progresses farther, but I hesitate to go against what several scouts see in him, until a much larger sample size is in the books. I have mentioned several times that his best role may be in relief, but that can be tried at a later date.

All these recent trades has allowed us an opportunity to give guys like Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo and Workman 8 or 9 starts in a row. While that may still not be a long enough sample size to determine their future, it should help us get a better understanding about their readiness to start 2015 in our rotation, the bull pen or AAA.

Sox4ever

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Hard to say what the sample size is because some pitchers take longer.  Do I need to remind the naysayers that Andrew Miller, who reportedly was very sought after by other teams in July, came to the Sox as the wreck of the hesperus with almost no control?  He seemed to be what Daniel Bard became (both were teammates at UNC).  

I could not agree more that the control issues in his last two starts were significant if not monumental.  But I also thought he had a pretty good variety of pitches.  I gotta go with moonslav on this one.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

notin--I don't disagree with you about what Webster could or could not do in future years--he should work on his control and trust in himself in the minors--we have a lot of prospects that are also pretty highly regarded to see how they perfom on a big stage.

I would ask how many innings has he pitched at the minor league level? I'm sure with the Dodgers and Sox its's a pretty substantial number.

He did "work on his control in the minors" and was pretty successful though not to the point of getting over that problem.

1) His AAA BB/9 rate of 3.4 is not good, but it is better than any other level on the farm.

2) His BB/9 has improved markedly since 2012: 4.2 > 3.7 > 3.2.

3) He's 24. He has over 720 IP on the farm. With all the openings in our rotation right now, it makes sense to me to give him 8 or 9 straight starts and see what happens. Workman, Ranaudo and de la Rosa are not being held back by Webster, so who should start instead? Wright? Barnes? Escobar? Owens?

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

I am just going by what I see. How many times do I need to see it? He may end up being better or worse. So may anyone else. Where is all of this great stuff we keep hearing about? At some point you have to wonder. There are pitchers his age and younger who are pitching very well. He is not. I hope that will change. But when?

I wonder about every pitcher with just a 40 IP sample size, even if they start out doing very well. 

There's nothing wrong with wondering or worrying about how poorly he has looked in most of his starts, but acting like a pitcher's first 40 IP is a good predictor of what he will become is a seriously flawed methodology.

Of course there's a significant possibility he never progresses farther, but I hesitate to go against what several scouts see in him, until a much larger sample size is in the books. I have mentioned several times that his best role may be in relief, but that can be tried at a later date.

All these recent trades has allowed us an opportunity to give guys like Webster, de la Rosa, Ranaudo and Workman 8 or 9 starts in a row. While that may still not be a long enough sample size to determine their future, it should help us get a better understanding about their readiness to start 2015 in our rotation, the bull pen or AAA.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

I actually thik that, while unofficial, the 2015 rotation is pretty close to set.

I expect Buchholz, De La Rosa, Ranaudo and Kelly in there.  My biggest gripe with Ranaudo has always been his health.  Hopefully he has put that behind him.

I see Webster, Workman and possibly Hembree in the bullpen.  Barnes, Owens, Escobar and Rodriguez (or as I call them  - "The Leftwardos") all in AAA, along with Johnson for one awesome PawSox rotation.

They still need a frontline pitcher - possibly Scherzer, Shields, Hamels, or Latos.  Acquiring either of the latter two guys could take some names off any or all of the lists above...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Two points

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes but he's had almost two seasons at Pawtucket and has performed well there.  Hes not going to learn to pitch in the majors and make the proper adjustments at the mlb level unless he does it here.

this is the perfect season to do just that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hard to say what the sample size is because some pitchers take longer.  Do I need to remind the naysayers that Andrew Miller, who reportedly was very sought after by other teams in July, came to the Sox as the wreck of the hesperus with almost no control?  He seemed to be what Daniel Bard became (both were teammates at UNC).  

I could not agree more that the control issues in his last two starts were significant if not monumental.  But I also thought he had a pretty good variety of pitches.  I gotta go with moonslav on this one.  

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am very concerned about Webster's control issues. I realize this problem goes beyond the 38.1 IP sample size in MLB. I'm not convinced he can ever get over this problem, but I have seen enough pitchers overcome early control issues to not give up on anyone after 38 IP.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I actually thik that, while unofficial, the 2015 rotation is pretty close to set. 

I expect Buchholz, De La Rosa, Ranaudo and Kelly in there. My biggest gripe with Ranaudo has always been his health. Hopefully he has put that behind him. 

I see Webster, Workman and possibly Hembree in the bullpen. Barnes, Owens, Escobar and Rodriguez (or as I call them - "The Leftwardos") all in AAA, along with Johnson for one awesome PawSox rotation. 

They still need a frontline pitcher - possibly Scherzer, Shields, Hamels, or Latos. Acquiring either of the latter two guys could take some names off any or all of the lists above...

Good points, and I might add that the sample size people are judging Webster by is about as large as de la Rosa's 2014 sample size. I have liked what I have seen so far with Rubby, but there is still time for him to work himself out of the 2015 rotation picture over his next 8-9 starts. I do not think he will, and I agree that Sox management probably already has him penciled in as our 4 or 5 starter next year, but I'm just saying there is room for flex over the next 2 months.

I do think we need to add at least one SP'er like the ones you mentioned. Personally, I'd prefer 2, but one is vital to our chances for success.

Sox4ever 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

AAAA seems about right to me. certainly backend starter appears to be the ceiling. i would give him the rest of the year regardless. that's the whole point here. unless they have someone else they think is more ready and likely to succeed, there's no reason to do anything else. but i've never been overly impressed with him. he has that Middlebrooks-esque, small-market personality that wants to crawl under a rock and hide when things get tough. needed to get in more fights as a kid to toughen them up. Bucholz has a similar makeup but obviously has significantly better stuff (they may have to institute a "Bucholz rule", ie. a pitch clock though. holding the ball forever is not a skill).

as a staff, they have lost all of the bulldogs and are left with lap dogs who need cuddling. finding a staff leader will certainly be priority one in the offseason.

i will say i liked that kid who came on in relief yesterday. the one who made the two nice plays on the mound, one of which Jerry incorrectly described as "ball finding the glove". he brought some good energy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am very concerned about Webster's control issues. I realize this problem goes beyond the 38.1 IP sample size in MLB. I'm not convinced he can ever get over this problem, but I have seen enough pitchers overcome early control issues to not give up on anyone after 38 IP.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I really have very little faith in a lot of these guys, including Wrokman and DLR.  But it would be prfoundly silly to give up on rated prospects after 30-40 innings.  Not even worth discussing.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I think DeLarosa has promise and will be okay. Webster on the other hand is a mediocre pitcher who has now been in Triple AAA for over two years. Time to move on and bundle him in a trade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Seriously, those number rankings are useless at the MLB level.  Useless.  

This league is riddled with pitchers who lit it up at a AAA level and failed in the bigs, as well as vice versa.  Webster has just had two completely opposite starts. 

Sox need a lot to compete next year, and it starts with an honest appraisal of their pitching.  They now need starters and middle relievers.  Webster is going to be in AAA for at least one more season.  Don't care who it is, or what team they're on, a pitcher cannot walk 5 batters in an inning.  Done and done. 

They moved Salty in part because he threw two balls into the outfield last playoffs; what is to be done with their alleged "quality" pitchers?  

Who is evaluating their pitching?