Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

It sounded like Larry was more interested in spending money on Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez rather than trading for a pitcher on WEEI today.  Here is the article on sports illustrated.

http://tracking.si.com/2013/07/25/red-sox-miguel-alfredo-gonzalez-cuban-pitcher/

What does everyone think of the Sox spending $60 million on this guy?  I know it saves prospects... but $60 mil for a relief pitcher is pretty steep... might as well have signed Papelbon for that money.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

He's not a reliever, he has thrown two no hitters in international competition, some scout rated him out as a #3 starter or a long reliever, this does not mean that he is a either of those guys. I think he's probably a strong #2 starter, but when you don't get to see him very often you can't properly evaluate what he is, one thing is for sure he ain't getting 60 mil from the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Maybe by signing him they can use whatever prospects they were planning to use toward someone for the pen Cishek, Downs, Lidstrom, Soriano, Clippard, Storen.

I'm thinking if you are signing this guy as "Major League Ready"--give him1 start in Portland and 1 start with the PawSox-- August 5--he's ready--move him into the rotation.

OR if he's "Major League Ready" does he really need auditions in the Sox system--Let's see if this guy is as good as advertised of if he needs more time in the minors. If he's as good as advertised  start him Monday against Tampa and David Price--let's really see what he's got---the Rays wouldn't have much of a book for Joe Maddon to use to prepare.

That's probably not fair to the guy but if he's willing to accept that kind of money totally untested in the market---hopefully he has the stuff that Cespedes, Chapman and Puig came with---the desire to show the world he's ready for this stage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I agree.  If Larry goes out and signs this kid, we will have plenty of resources to make more splash before the deadline.  If FO is preparing to go all the way this season, which seems within our reach, signing Miguel gives more flexiblilty.  Just one small problem though.  Miguel has to be what he is advertised as.  If he can be solid #3 for the Red Sox, we will have room to negotiate Webster, Ranaudo, or even Barnes.  I think Rubby and Owens are near untouchables unless we get all star caliber player back.  I say sign this guy.    

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have no issue trying to sign him he hasn't pitched

in 2 years. I can't see him being MLB ready this year 

at least not as a starter

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I agree with the posts here...I'm a little unsure of dropping so much money on an unproven talent, but that's why the organization has scouts. If this guy looks legit, why not? Adding an impact pitcher for the stretch run without giving up any prospects would be huge.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from VA Sox Fan. Show VA Sox Fan's posts

He doesn't cost any prospects. I don't see why bringing him in would be a bad idea. They've given bigger money to worse players.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

IF he was signed, I dont see him ready until the and of August, if at all this year. he hasnt pitched a lot the last 2 years. Hes going to need to build up some and that could mean hes not ready until next year. Theres no guarentees with him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

take a chance

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

IF he was signed, I dont see him ready until the and of August, if at all this year. he hasnt pitched a lot the last 2 years. Hes going to need to build up some and that could mean hes not ready until next year. Theres no guarentees with him.

I'm thinking  BP this season and a starter next season

unless he really has been workin out all along

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think this would be a good move - it's risky in the sense that he's an unproven pitcher, but we've seen how his contemporaries have exceeded expectations, and there's risk with everything in baseball.  Given Buchholz's status, standing pat is a risk.  Trading a Middlebrooks or Cecchini for Jake Peavy is definitely a risk - if you lose a guy that turns into a cost-controlled all-star, that's worth more than $60M right there.

All things being equal, if the Sox scouts like him, this might be the least risky move possible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm thinking  BP this season and a starter next season

unless he really has been workin out all along

[/QUOTE]

Im sure he has been working out zac, but not game situations. He tried to defect and was caught the 1st time so he wasnt allowed to play last year. I would guess that the pen is probably the only viable option they could have with him this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Sox do not appear to be watching Peavy any more - another sign IMO they are going to sign Gonzalez.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/jake-peavy-rumors-friday.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't think signing Miguel Gonzalez means Sox giving up on TOR guy.  They could sign Miguel and trade for a #2-3 giuy as well if thinking the WS.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think if the Sox trade for another starter and SIgn Gonzalez then they will likely trade a starter now for MLB proven talent.  Perhaps Lester or Lackey become trade bait for an upgrade.  I don't think this happens, but nothing will surprise me come august 1st.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I don't think signing Miguel Gonzalez means Sox giving up on TOR guy.  They could sign Miguel and trade for a #2-3 giuy as well if thinking the WS.  

I seriously doubt it.  It seems pretty clear at this point that the Sox Front Office feels that the price for the available pitchers (Peavy, Norris, Santana) isn't worth it.  They probably feel that Buchholz will be enough of a bolster for the stretch run, especially if they sign this kid Gonzalez or pick up another reliever.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

In response to seannybboi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I seriously doubt it.  It seems pretty clear at this point that the Sox Front Office feels that the price for the available pitchers (Peavy, Norris, Santana) isn't worth it.  They probably feel that Buchholz will be enough of a bolster for the stretch run, especially if they sign this kid Gonzalez or pick up another reliever.  

[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Update from MLBTRadeRumors.com

• Clubs that are in on Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez seem to think that the Red Sox are the favorite because they like the idea of spending money on a big-league-ready guy more than overpaying in prospects for a strong pitcher on the trade market.  One exec says that he should be in the big leagues by September and be a rotation regular next year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

The consensus is to sign the guy...now I wonder if we sign him... how does this get around the international signing pool regulations?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

The consensus is to sign the guy...now I wonder if we sign him... how does this get around the international signing pool regulations?

I believe he's not subject to those regulations because he is older than 23 and has had 3 years professional experience.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I believe he's not subject to those regulations because he is older than 23 and has had 3 years professional experience.

you are correct.  This is why his price tag has been going up, but if you ask me the hefty price tag (within reason) is going to be worth it. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gracias!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is right. He is considered a normal FA. The buzz on the street that Cuba wants to develop a posting system with Mexico and the US. The embargo would get in the way right now but in 5 years Raul Castro will retire and the embargo is eligible to be lifted.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

At what price a victory? That is the question the Sox have to be asking themselves. My personal opinion is they would love to ink Miguel and maybe steal an Eddison Volquez type starter, I don't think they are out of the Peavy sweepstakes but they aren't surrendering any of their top 10 prospects to do so. So if CWS want Checcini, Bogaerts, Swihart, Ranaudo,RDLR,Webster, Barnes,Owens,JBJ, or Britton they will come up empty handed. Those are just a few of the guys the Sox are hoarding I can name another 10 or so I think would be borderline untouchables. Now if CWS include Rios and Crain in the trade they might get a top prospect,but only one.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

First rumors of a deal in the making ...

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/source_boston_red_sox_expected_to_sign_miguel_alfredo_gonzalez/14145377