Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Cuban defector Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

Just watched video of him from the Mexican league. Did not look like he had enough "stuff" to be a major league starting pitcher to me. He was 89-94. However, I think only 3 pitches above 92. Got very few ground balls. Lots of balls were smacked to the warning track. Did not remind me of a single effective big league starter.

On the other hand, he had very good control and solid command. And I remember him showing toughness and poise against the Americans a few years ago. His breaking pitches were OK and I think his stuff will play up better as a reliever. I could see a "solid" late inning reliever. I would give him 4-15. That would be it. The idea of 40+ million is crazy IMO.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

Just watched video of him from the Mexican league. Did not look like he had enough "stuff" to be a major league starting pitcher to me. He was 89-94. However, I think only 3 pitches above 92. Got very few ground balls. Lots of balls were smacked to the warning track. Did not remind me of a single effective big league starter.

On the other hand, he had very good control and solid command. And I remember him showing toughness and poise against the Americans a few years ago. His breaking pitches were OK and I think his stuff will play up better as a reliever. I could see a "solid" late inning reliever. I would give him 4-15. That would be it. The idea of 40+ million is crazy IMO.

if you don't mind, i'll trust the judgment of professional scouts as opposed to joe schmoe watching a few minutes of video from a single game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

if you don't mind, i'll trust the judgment of professional scouts as opposed to joe schmoe watching a few minutes of video from a single game.

[/QUOTE]

Thats your right. And btw, according to reports, a lot of scouts agree witth me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats your right. And btw, according to reports, a lot of scouts agree witth me.

[/QUOTE]

most scouting reports i've read say that he could be anywhere from a #3 to an ace of the staff depending on the staff. Others say that he might be a long reliefman this season but will be a rotation regular by the start of 2014.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Scouting on him is Mixed....I've heard as far as an ace to a bullpen guy.  Haven't heard anyone call him an ace recently but there is a strong sentiment that he can be a #3.  That very well may be true but that doesn't me he will do that this year....Honestly if he ends up contributing in the bullpen this year I'd be happy.

He may very well be effective in the Bullpen and then add value in subsequent years as a starter.  If he does become a #3 then he pretty much reaches the same ceiling as guys like Owens, Barnes, Webster and Raunado.  Realistitcally some of those guys may end up in the pen and I'm hopefull one can turn into a #2 or even an ace.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

We can all stop the speculation on Miguel Gonzalez he just signed with the Phillies he got his 50 mil. per MLBTR.com.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - S -  Player

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez has agreed to a six-year deal with the Phillies worth more than $50 million.

The Dodgers were believed to be the favorites to land Gonzalez, until a report earlier in the week that they were no longer pursuing him. It's a nice addition for the Phillies who land a potential top of the rotation starter. The 26-year-old right-hander is believed to be nearly major league ready, so he shouldn't require much minor league seasoning. Related:  Phillies

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - S -  Player

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez has agreed to a six-year deal with the Phillies worth more than $50 million.

The Dodgers were believed to be the favorites to land Gonzalez, until a report earlier in the week that they were no longer pursuing him. It's a nice addition for the Phillies who land a potential top of the rotation starter. The 26-year-old right-hander is believed to be nearly major league ready, so he shouldn't require much minor league seasoning. Related:  Phillies

i guess this means the Phillies think they are contenders.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - S -  Player

[/QUOTE]

i thought they was looking at dealing lee? or taking offers?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez - S -  Player

[/QUOTE]

i thought they was looking at dealing lee? or taking offers?

[/QUOTE]

not anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Could be game on again at a lower price for Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/07/phillies-hit-a-snag-in-50-million-deal-with-cuban-defector-miguel-alfredo-gonzalez/

Sections
Shortcuts