Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent

From WEEI.com.He holds the Cuban HR record.There's also a video of him if you click on the link:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/11/07/a-free-agent-and-video-to-watch-yoenis-cespedes/

Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes — a 26-year-old power-hitting, center fielder — is on the verge of becoming a free agent. Major League Baseball appears ready to sign off on the outfielder’s free agent eligibility, but is apparently just waiting for final approval from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (which signs off on all Cuban intending to play baseball in the United States

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Re: Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent

Firstly can we get him?
    Secondly, can he play RF or LF?

That would be sweet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from robbosox. Show robbosox's posts

My prediction....He signs with the Miami Marlins....Yes, Miami Marlins will be the new name as they move into their new stadium....Huge Cuban population in Miami...The owner has promised to spend some money, so we will see.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I READ ON THE TRADE RUMORS WEBPAGE AND THEY ARE SAYING YANKEES ARE TRYING VERY HARD TO SIGN HIM THIS OFFSEASON. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If you didn't watch the video,it's worth checking out.It's not your standard video with 3 minutes of hitting,fielding and introduction.This video is a production with a Star Wars themed opening and musical soundtrack.
    Caution:The video's about 20 minutes long,but interesting to watch even if it's just the first couple of minutes.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent:
    [QUOTE]From WEEI.com.He holds the Cuban HR record.There's also a video of him if you click on the link: http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/11/07/a-free-agent-and-video-to-watch-yoenis-cespedes/ Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes — a 26-year-old power-hitting, center fielder — is on the verge of becoming a free agent. Major League Baseball appears ready to sign off on the outfielder’s free agent eligibility, but is apparently just waiting for final approval from the Office of Foreign Assets Control (which signs off on all Cuban intending to play baseball in the United States  
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

When was the last Cuban defector that was an truly impact player in the big leagues? Luis Tiant? The issue I have with Cuban baseball is that they're still stuck in the 1950's...

In the last few years only Chapman, has made an immediate impact and look's like a guy that could break through and become a dominant pitcher (if he can stay healthy)...Morales represents the best hitter of recent times who signed with the Angels and it took him almost 3 years to relearn to hit after signing...Yunesky Betancourt is another, now with the Brewers and is still a pull centric free swinger with little command of the strike zone...Not ulike our very own Jose Inglesias...So with that said, I'd be inclined to pass on the guy...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Anybody with possible ML ready talent that can be had for money only has to be considered, especially since these guys are always available only to the few team that can afford them and with the demise of the Dodgers and the Mets, that list keeps getting smaller, which should keep the price down a little....you offer what you think is fair and works within the constraints of the team budget and see where it goes.....you shouldnt discount them outright because of past Cuban player history....same logic for japan and Darvish.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Depends upon whether he is proven star talent v. MLB level competition. If so, Red Sox should be prepared to bid v. NYY up to 6 years and 17M base. Clear that Yankees will sign Kemp if he becomes a FA, if this option is not a clear better option. This is where Cherry needs to prove he has what Inepstein did not have.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent:
    [QUOTE]When was the last Cuban defector that was an truly impact player in the big leagues? not sure BT, but  for a couple of yrs Orlando ` El Duque ​ ” Hernandez  played big
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

No doubt that El Duque "played big for the Yanks" the post season in particular...His brother is another that was and is pretty good too, neither of them were "impact players"...That's the jist of my post, if you weight all of the Latin American countries in terms of their producing impact players at the big league level. Cuba is at or near the bottom. There's been a few over the years that came heralded as can't miss, perhaps Jose Contraras's name might ring a bell? In fairness to Cuba, due to the politics, they don't have the baseball academy's or the infrastructure like the Dominican for example that are funded by MLB and many of the former and current big league players also spend moneys to build fields and equip the teams. the result is that many of the players in Cuba simply never get the level of instruction they would if they lived in the Dominican...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent : B4 or after the blood test
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

Both Zac

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

2:25pm: The Yankees, Phillies, Blue Jays, Giants, Marlins, Nationals, Indians, Athletics, and Pirates have had a presence at Cespedes' workouts, reports Yahoo's Tim Brown.  Agent Adam Katz tells Brown he'll wait until his client is technically declared a free agent before discussing contract terms with teams.  The Yankees, Phillies, and Marlins will have private workouts with Cespedes within the next few weeks, with a Marlins contingent heading to the Dominican Republic this week.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I can't see the Sox going big after a hitter.  Their main priority has to be to repair the starting pitching which is crucial to next season.  A RF is lower on the list than even after the BP.  If Aceves starts that will make things easier on the starting staff but leave the BP in a hurting status with Paps apparently walking.  Hitting does not win titles...witness this past year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]I can't see the Sox going big after a hitter.  Their main priority has to be to repair the starting pitching which is crucial to next season.  A RF is lower on the list than even after the BP.  If Aceves starts that will make things easier on the starting staff but leave the BP in a hurting status with Paps apparently walking.  Hitting does not win titles...witness this past year.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

travern,
    By going after a hitter, doesn't preclude them for also pursuing pitching. I'm pretty sure that Cherington has the ability to do both....the 2012 team needs have been well documented and while I too agrre that they need to shoer up the rotation and add an arm to the pen. If they don't resign Papi than finding another bat to replce his in the 5 hole will probably be as important as adding pitching...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent : travern, By going after a hitter, doesn't preclude them for also pursuing pitching. I'm pretty sure that Cherington has the ability to do both....the 2012 team needs have been well documented and while I too agrre that they need to shoer up the rotation and add an arm to the pen. If they don't resign Papi than finding another bat to replce his in the 5 hole will probably be as important as adding pitching...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% but I just can't see this kid taking any short term contract if teams like the Yankees and Phillies are interested in him...you can bet the contract will be long and expensive.  I can't see the Sox taking on another long expensive contract - especially on an unproven MLB talent. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent : I agree with you 100% but I just can't see this kid taking any short term contract if teams like the Yankees and Phillies are interested in him...you can bet the contract will be long and expensive.  I can't see the Sox taking on another long expensive contract - especially on an unproven MLB talent. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

My guess is that they'll go kick the tires and then if the kid shows promise they may offer him a deal...neither of them have a pressing need for another Ofer for the 2012 season...I doubt that at 26 with no proffesional experience to speak of were talking more than 4M or 5M per think Jose Inglesias who the Sox signed for 2M per...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

From MLBTraderumors.com:

Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes defected mid-summer and is expected to be cleared for free agency within a matter of weeks, reports Yahoo's Jeff Passan.  The 26-year-old is "arguably the best all-around player to come out of Cuba in a generation," according to Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, who describes Cespedes as "a legitimate centerfielder with plus power and speed."  Both Passan and Goldstein expect the 26-year-old to receive a deal in the range of the $30.25MM Aroldis Chapman received in January of 2010.  MLBTR first told you about Cespedes' escape from the Cuban National Team in July.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4166609. Show user_4166609's posts

SIGN THIS MAN. HIM AND YU WILL MAKE US GREAT AGAIN! YOUNG, YEAR CONTROLLED, LIMITLESS POTENTIAL FA'S FTW!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

update from MLBTraderumors.com: 

7:15pm:
     The Red Sox are "sending everyone" to the Dominican to evaluate Cespedes, according to MLB.com's Peter Gammons.  The Rangers are also interested, along with the many teams named below, according to Gammons, who confirms that small-market teams like the A's, Pirates and Indians will be involved.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]I can't see the Sox going big after a hitter.  Their main priority has to be to repair the starting pitching which is crucial to next season.  A RF is lower on the list than even after the BP.  If Aceves starts that will make things easier on the starting staff but leave the BP in a hurting status with Paps apparently walking.  Hitting does not win titles...witness this past year.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE] Then how about really stirring the waters and sign this kid and trade Ellsbury too Seattle for King Felix and if this guy is the real deal you get the best of both worlds, both a starting pitcher and a fairly young CF who hits with power and has equal speed as Ellsbury... Bring up our other Cubans: Padron,Ibarra, Iglesias,and Linares and all we need is a few more good pitchers and back to the promised land we go!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]update from MLBTraderumors.com:  7:15pm:  The Red Sox are "sending everyone " to the Dominican to evaluate Cespedes, according to MLB.com's Peter Gammons .  The Rangers are also interested, along with the many teams named below, according to Gammons, who confirms that small-market teams like the A's, Pirates and Indians will be involved.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

It certainly can't hurt to take a look...I have my doubts that the kids is a good as he's being sold to be...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cuban defector Yoenis Cespedes to become free agent : It certainly can't hurt to take a look...I have my doubts that the kids is a good as he's being sold to be...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE] If he's as good as Linares he would be worth a substanial investment,Linares could very well be the starting RF this year for the Sox! I don't know if they ever played together in Cuba but it wouldn't surprise me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

[QUOTE]Depends upon whether he is proven star talent v. MLB level competition. If so, Red Sox should be prepared to bid v. NYY up to 6 years and 17M base. Clear that Yankees will sign Kemp if he becomes a FA, if this option is not a clear better option. This is where Cherry needs to prove he has what Inepstein did not have.  
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Am I hearing you propose spending over $100 mil for this guy Softy? Or are you saying offer him a 6 year deal for $17 mil? It would seem that the deal probably comes in somewhere between that.

We got this Cuban CF for $750,000:

His numbers in he same league were not all that much worse. Same age at the time of signing.

Evaluators are looking at giving him up to $60 mil over 5 years. I'm not sure I would go that high and I definitely would not go higher. It's probably at least $40 mil to sign him though IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts