In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to titletownfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, Marmol is their closer, so it's not like they're giving up nothing.  It's like giving up Bailey for Haren.  There are other options on the market right now, no need to give up our closer for Haren.  I like Haren, and wouldn't have an issue with that deal, but I'll give BC the entire offseason before judging.  Hopefully we can get a similar player without giving up our closer.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't say they were giving up "nothing," and as the old saying goes, "every team has a closer, it's up to the coaching staffs to identify them."  Besides, the Cubs are in rebuild mode, a closer isn't exactly their top priority right now. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah well the same is true of the Sox and they got nothing......

[/QUOTE]

Typical ineptitude by our bumbling GM.  Why weren't we interested in  trying to get Haren?  Or starting pitching isn't worth a warm pitcher of spit right now and to depend on Lester and Buchholz to carry the Nos. 1 and 2 load is a study in futility.  Just where the he#l is our pitching reinforcements going to come from.  We could have made a move for either Santana or Haren because both of them are now better than the two pieces of trash t hat pass for our top two. 

A lot of you keep saying wait until ST before judging Cherington but I know that for many of you it is all a crock.  Even when he totally proves his worthlessness many of you will still back him either because you're blind to reality or are a true believing pollyanna.  The guy stinks and I go on record as saying it.  Our team will never get out of the gutter until we get rid of this bum and get a general manager who knows baseball, talent and what it takes to build a winner..  Sorry all you Cherington fans, this guy is not it.

[/QUOTE]

Do you even know what Anaheim was asking for in the deal?

[/QUOTE]
    judging by his posts, if Ben got Haren for a used rosin bag and a game worn Jack Brohammer jersey, ol' Fred would still say he got fleeced

[/QUOTE]

Fred has this odd habit of making up deals himself that he thinks Ben will make, and then blaming Ben for them.  That's a really strange way to criticize.  Alibiike does iit, too.

On this deal, one might have to look at Haren a little differently.

The Cubs have been trying to unload Marmol for a while, and suddenly THEY pulled out of this deal.  Perhaps they know something about Haren not known by the general message board populace...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Cubs get Dan Haren for Carlos Marmol

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Well, Marmol is their closer, so it's not like they're giving up nothing.  It's like giving up Bailey for Haren.  There are other options on the market right now, no need to give up our closer for Haren.  I like Haren, and wouldn't have an issue with that deal, but I'll give BC the entire offseason before judging.  Hopefully we can get a similar player without giving up our closer.

[/QUOTE]

Didn't say they were giving up "nothing," and as the old saying goes, "every team has a closer, it's up to the coaching staffs to identify them."  Besides, the Cubs are in rebuild mode, a closer isn't exactly their top priority right now. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Typical ineptitude by our bumbling GM.  Why weren't we interested in  trying to get Haren?  Or starting pitching isn't worth a warm pitcher of spit right now and to depend on Lester and Buchholz to carry the Nos. 1 and 2 load is a study in futility.  Just where the he#l is our pitching reinforcements going to come from.  We could have made a move for either Santana or Haren because both of them are now better than the two pieces of trash t hat pass for our top two. 

A lot of you keep saying wait until ST before judging Cherington but I know that for many of you it is all a crock.  Even when he totally proves his worthlessness many of you will still back him either because you're blind to reality or are a true believing pollyanna.  The guy stinks and I go on record as saying it.  Our team will never get out of the gutter until we get rid of this bum and get a general manager who knows baseball, talent and what it takes to build a winner..  Sorry all you Cherington fans, this guy is not it.

[/QUOTE]

Do you even know what Anaheim was asking for in the deal?

[/QUOTE]
    judging by his posts, if Ben got Haren for a used rosin bag and a game worn Jack Brohammer jersey, ol' Fred would still say he got fleeced

[/QUOTE]

Fred has this odd habit of making up deals himself that he thinks Ben will make, and then blaming Ben for them.  That's a really strange way to criticize.  Alibiike does iit, too.

On this deal, one might have to look at Haren a little differently.

The Cubs have been trying to unload Marmol for a while, and suddenly THEY pulled out of this deal.  Perhaps they know something about Haren not known by the general message board populace...

[/QUOTE]

Haha...every once in a while, they have moments of clarity and post something rational, though.  Dying to know why Cubs pulled that deal...the Sox are supposedly out too..Jed Hoyer and Ben are close

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Maybe Ben should have gone to Chicago with Jeddy and Theo---Ben would have been right at home.

Hopefully Ben had done his homework and had a member of the Sox medical team review Haren's file and not just follow Theo and Jed, again. If the Yanks or O's or Jay's swoop in and pick Haren up for Cash and he has a great year--we will have passed on a pretty good pitcher.

Even if the Sox gave up Bard in the original proposed Haren deal--we would be  dealing  from a position we have an abundance of and not giving up a young prospect. It's probably still on the table-hopefully Ben and JF will look at the situation in the light of day---I mean they just gave a guy $30 M over two years that may blow out his achilles in ST(heaven forbid) and here you've got a proven starter and you can provide him with an incentive laden contract pitching in a walk year. Let's go Ben.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Come on fred...Your letting your disdain for this guy get in the way. Your not even willing to give him a chance and just ready to blast him every chance possible. If come ST hes not made any solid trades, FA acquisitions, then I will be the first to question his qualifications.

If the LAA werent willing to throw some $$ into the deal, then 15.5M plus a prospect or MLB rady guy like Marmol didnt get the deal done, then that is clearly too much for only 1 year of Haren. Or maybe Theo didnt like what he saw on the medical reports...Who knows... We dont know the details. Maybe BC thinks he will be a better value in FA. I think he would sign a 2-3 year deal at a lower cost than 15.5M per and without having to give up valuable players... If not, theres other deals to be made.

As far as getting a GM that knows baseball. BC played the game, started in scouting and development 14 years ago for the Sox and worked his way through the whole organization. So basically he knows the business of baseball from top to bottom as well as being a player once himself. Id say he knows the game.

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

After finding no trades that they liked, the Halos declined Haren's option. He is now a free agent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It's a really interesting pasttime in here.

Posters will ask why we didn't trade for a guy that might not even be on the block.  They'll blame Theo for not picking up some scrap heap that blossomed 5 years later on the player's 5th team.

The other day, people were seriously opinining about some Korean pitcher that they know nothing about.

Now Fred is in an interesting situation.  He criticized Ben for not trading for a guy no one else wanted.  Do you think he'll eat any crow on this one?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a really interesting pasttime in here.

Posters will ask why we didn't trade for a guy that might not even be on the block.  They'll blame Theo for not picking up some scrap heap that blossomed 5 years later on the player's 5th team.

The other day, people were seriously opinining about some Korean pitcher that they know nothing about.

Now Fred is in an interesting situation.  He criticized Ben for not trading for a guy no one else wanted.  Do you think he'll eat any crow on this one?

[/QUOTE]

No.  I think he will simply create another fictional scenario as a diversion to support his thesis, It will be something like blaming Ben for signing Loney to a multiyear contract, or maybe he can re-visit not acquiring Gio Gonzalez, despite the fact that the Sox could not come close to offering what the Nationals gave up to get him....

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

yeah it was a nice move for the cubs

I got to admit I'm a tad surprised how fast/early it happened

the real fun starts tomorrow when teams can sign FA

[/QUOTE]

You forgot the caviat of "If Haren can regain his form".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Here's a scenario--call me Fred, Notin--I'm not Fred--but you can call me Fred if this fits:

I see a house on the coast of Maine--I really like but I heard when I called someone else just submitted an offer. I said to the Realtor--I really, really like the house but I'm going to be away: sometimes things don't work out and in this market I'd like to make an offer just in case the deal falls through.

To make a long paragraph shorter--the original deal fell through and into our waiting arms. 

If I'm Ben and I am convinced Haren is healthy enough to pitch for the Sox--I put a freaking back up bid in place with the Angels knowing Theo was trying to keep the Sox from getting Haren and placing doubt in Ben's head there was a medical issue with Haren.

Ben either begin to be your own man and do your deals with abandon, like Billy B. or get out of the kitchen. I'm tired of wishy-washy-I'm waiting for the real GM to stand up and take some chances--Baseball is only a game--not the end of the world.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's a scenario--call me Fred, Notin--I'm not Fred--but you can call me Fred if this fits:

I see a house on the coast of Maine--I really like but I heard when I called someone else just submitted an offer. I said to the Realtor--I really, really like the house but I'm going to be away: sometimes things don't work out and in this market I'd like to make an offer just in case the deal falls through.

To make a long paragraph shorter--the original deal fell through and into our waiting arms. 

If I'm Ben and I am convinced Haren is healthy enough to pitch for the Sox--I put a freaking back up bid in place with the Angels knowing Theo was trying to keep the Sox from getting Haren and placing doubt in Ben's head there was a medical issue with Haren.

Ben either begin to be your own man and do your deals with abandon, like Billy B. or get out of the kitchen. I'm tired of wishy-washy-I'm waiting for the real GM to stand up and take some chances--Baseball is only a game--not the end of the world.

[/QUOTE]

The Theo/Ben thing only works if other teams were interested.  I like the Haren idea, and was probably the first to suggest it.  But anytime 30 GMs pass on the same guy, I am willing to defer to the likelihood of their higher expertise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Well, not sure how much $$$ or years Haren is looking for.  IF he would like to sign with Boston for a contract like this 2yrs/20mm along with a third year option, I would take it.  This is better than trying to make a trade.  Cuz if boston want to make a trade for pitching, this pitcher have to be a top of the rotation starter, and I am sure these team want Doubront to be included or maybe one or two pitching prospects.  That is not what Boston want to do (like add one and subtract a pitcher or two pitchers)!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

The Cubs have aquired Dan Haren for Carlos Marmol.  The Sox were in on Haren, but this may be a case where they'd rather not trade him to a team who they may be competing for a playoff spot against. 

Terrific move by Cubs.  They don't give up much and if Haren is pitching well at the deadline next year, he could bring them some more prospects to rebuild with, 

[/QUOTE]

Haren is of the market that leaves Greinke Saunders Jackson or the gamble on Marcum for a rotating pitcher. The more i read starters go elsewhere besides Boston the more i hope that Lackey's arm will be ready next season.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The Cubs have aquired Dan Haren for Carlos Marmol.  The Sox were in on Haren, but this may be a case where they'd rather not trade him to a team who they may be competing for a playoff spot against. 

Terrific move by Cubs.  They don't give up much and if Haren is pitching well at the deadline next year, he could bring them some more prospects to rebuild with, 

[/QUOTE]

Haren is of the market that leaves Greinke Saunders Jackson or the gamble on Marcum for a rotating pitcher. The more i read starters go elsewhere besides Boston the more i hope that Lackey's arm will be ready next season.

[/QUOTE]

Haren is a free agent. The trade to the Cubs did not happen.

[/QUOTE]

I feel much better now I like to see Haren get a shot in the Red Sox rotation but still hoping Lackey will be the pitcher he once was after the TJ surgery usually this injury is a 50/50 shot.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Give up our closer? What closer? Has Bailey established himself as the Sox closer? 3 BS in 9 opportunities? A 7.04 ERA?

You have got to be kidding!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to softlaw's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That deal fell through, as the incomptent InEpstein almost got taken, again.

[/QUOTE]

Unless Haren can't stand up straight, Theo would've cleaned their clock.  Have you seen Marmol's stats lately?  Or his contract?

22. This post has been removed.