Cubs ready to chase Boston's Ellsbury

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Cubs ready to chase Boston's Ellsbury

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The Yanks played two last night---keep in mind the Yanks are in  1 st place in the East last I read. A ton of injuries  but Pitching, Def and timely hitting have brought them to the top.

Their OF Gm.1----Ichiro---LF, Gard--CF,  Boesch--RF ( Ich one of the best all around players still).

OF Gm. 2--Wells--LF, Gard--CF, Ben Francisco---RF. (Wells written off still hits/fields).

Common thread: Good defenders--Girardi played the L/R platoon except for the one guy, Gard that can cover the ground in CF.

Ells has the potential to be one of the best OF'ders in the game--you don't win games on Potential you win with Results. 

Put Ells on the market or bench him for 3-4 games--I would bet he would come back with some fire in his belly. I'm not 100% sure but I think Ells has started every game in CF. Vic is a pretty good CF and has an amazingly strong and accurate arm

JBJ-was on the DL, last I looked. Brentz had 24 RBI's at last check, Iggy continues his free fall at .217. Hazelbaker is not a bad player--if you haven't seen Brentz or Hazel --watch them--they have some talent.

Yes, "potential" talent.

Jacoby looked great in the minors too, and he had a couple fine seasons in the bigs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I think everyone in AAA has some talent. That is how they have gotten that far.  I would rate Bradley well above Brentz and Hazelbaker when it comes to potential to be an outstanding major leaguer.  Nava and Victorino are already starting every day.  At this time , removing Ellsbury and replacing him with Carp or Gomes does not improve the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I think everyone in AAA has some talent. That is how they have gotten that far.  I would rate Bradley well above Brentz and Hazelbaker when it comes to potential to be an outstanding major leaguer.  Nava and Victorino are already starting every day.  At this time , removing Ellsbury and replacing him with Carp or Gomes does not improve the team.

JBJ probably has more of the OBP that the sox are looking for, but both have different games. Brentz and JBJ both have strong arms. JBJ will get OB more, but BB will jack way more HR. Just different players. they are both good at their games though. Haze is nothoing more than a 4th OF'er in MLB IMO. There is no room for any of them at this time though.

Ells will get it going again like he was in April batting almost .300...If anything, I might drop him in the order if he doesnt come out of it soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We definitely have some talent at AAA but I don't think any of it is very good.  JBJ is our best shot at a starting outfielder.  I think he will be a star, but after that I think we are thin on outfield depth in our minor league system.  

Brentz has WAY to much swing and miss in him, and he doesn't walk enough or have the hit tool for a guy that strikes out a lot.  He will be exposed at the MLB level.  He will be that guy that hits 30 home runs but bats .200.  He has a good arm but besides that everything about his defense is average.

He's is pretty much Josh Reddick with less defense.

HazelBaker is pretty much Ellsbury in the outfield, he has all the speed in the world but he canno't get a jump on a ball to save his life.  I think he is a bench player with some pop who can pinch run at the MLB level.  

To bad Ellsbury wasn't more consistent, because I wouldn't mind giving him a payday if he could give us a 2011 every year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now it's hard to see the Cubs chasing Ellsbury, but it's early in this his contract year. 

If Bradley continues to develop, it's hard to see the Sox competing to keep Ellsbury.  In any case, I think hanging onto Ellsbury this year was not a bad move--he is definitely giving it is best effort, and the Sox are the beneficiaries if he does well.  Meanwhile. Bradley is getting ready. 

On another thread jimfromflorida points out that this last offseason and ever since the giant Dodgers "trade" last July, the Sox FO has for the most part acquired players who keep the Sox competitive but did not require giving up and really good players from the farm system. That certainly applies to hanging onto to Iglesias (Drew has a one year contract), Bradley, and Bogaerts. 

I have always been an Ellsbury fan, but I'm not crazy.  Bradley looks terrific in the outfield even with that error.  And I think he will be a decent hitter--a solid replacement at a very good price. 

Someone else, softlaw I think, argued the Sox need two outfielders, but I think the current three--Nava, Ellsbury, and Victorino--backed up by Bradley, are about right.  Not much power, granted. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

In response to mthomas43's comment:

07:09 AM ET 05.13 | Though talk of a sell-off had cropped up in Chicago, again, and yet the Cubs may be poised to spend this offseason. [Next] winter might be the time for Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer to add more impact players in free agency as they enter Year Three of their regime. Several major league sources, including an American League front-office executive told me [Sunday] that they fully expect the Cubs to be involved with some of the top free agents at the conclusion of this season, with Boston Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury possibly at the top of their wish list. In addition, the 2015 free agent class is not loaded with star quality players, leading to industry speculation that Epstein and Hoyer could look to add a couple of impact players.

CSN Chicago

I said this a long time ago and will repeat it.  As long as Theo is in charge of the Cubs they won't become a contender.  The Cubbies are much different than the 2003 club he inherited as Francona will also learn with the Indians. 

I said this a long time ago and will repeat it.When was the last time the Cubs were contenders? Who was the GM ? When was the Cubs last World Seriers ? Who was the GM ? Now, What is this as long as Theo is GM thing? The Cubs have a lot more problems then throwing a GM into that mess and stinking up the league for ever and more.Maybe the only solution is a higher power and i don't know if that would help. Stop the Theo thing, It goes much deeper then him.

Sections
Shortcuts