Curt Schilling and the Hall of Fame...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

Curt Schilling and the Hall of Fame...

Are you kidding me?  Of course he is, and first ballot...kooks (Joe Sullivan and Scott Thurston)on 10.0 saying that he was second to Pedro on the Sox, citing won/loss record which is the stupidest statistic in pitching...second to Pedro in overall Sox history, but in the years they pitched together they were equal...and I am a major Pedro lover...11-2 in playoff games with a ERA near 2...good grief

Schilling came to Boston saying he was here to help deliver a world series title, and also stated that he guessed that he was now a Yankee hater...about the only better thing ever said in recent Sox history was Pedro saying that if we could wake Babe Ruth up he'd drill him in the butt...Schilling delivered

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Curt Schilling and the Hall of Fame...

Schilling is the man.  Hall of Famer. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Yes, but he is not a first rounder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I believe he'll make it in just not on the 1st ballot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

with some of those idiot writers doing some of the voting, he wont get in on ballot 1, Although he should. I never understood why you dont vote a guy in the 1st time. Sounds like some sort of power trip some of these writers are on...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

with some of those idiot writers doing some of the voting, he wont get in on ballot 1, Although he should. I never understood why you dont vote a guy in the 1st time. Sounds like some sort of power trip some of these writers are on...

[/QUOTE]

yeah i dont get it.. you won't vote someone in the first time but you will the next time their name comes up?

power trip indeed

i really don't know much about the HOF voting process, how many people get to vote?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

he'll get in, but not first ballot, and I think that's fair, stats do count, and his stats outside of the postseason are not as amazing as some. But second or third year he will be in. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Definitely not a HOFer if the HOF still had any credibility.  But it doesn't...everybody wants their hometown guys in..teams now have promotion processes for it.  Rice?  Absurd.  Morris?  No way, but might make it this year.  Schilling?  Come on, he did not have enough great seasons to even be close.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I suppose you can say it's all about being on a power trip

but I'm thinking some of it is about saving that honor for the true elite

First Ballot Inductees

In Chronological Order

Name Year Inducted

Ty Cobb 1936

Walter Johnson 1936

Christy Mathewson 1936

Babe Ruth 1936

Honus Wagner1936

Bob Feller

Jackie Robinson

Ted Williams

Stan Musial

Sandy Koufax

Warren Spahn

Mickey Mantle

Ernie Banks

Willie Mays

Al Kaline

Bob Gibson

Hank Aaron (bio)

Frank Robinson

Brooks Robinson

Lou Brock

Willie McCovey

Willie Stargell

Johnny Bench

Carl Yastrzemski

Joe Morgan

Jim Palmer

Rod Carew

Tom Seaver

Reggie Jackson

Steve Carlton

Mike Schmidt

George Brett

Nolan Ryan

Robin Yount

Kirby Puckett

Dave Winfield

Ozzie Smith

Eddie Murray

Dennis Eckersley

Paul Molitor

Wade Boggs

Tony Gwynn

Cal Ripken, Jr.

Rickey Henderson

During 1999 the most first ballot inductees (three) were enshrined into the National Baseball Hall of Fame since the first year they opened.

Through today there are 65 living members (including executives, managers, umpires, players & Negro Leaguers) of the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Did you know that not one single player in the National Baseball Hall of Fame has even been selected with 100% of the possible ballots?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofstat.shtml

[/QUOTE]

"saving that honor for the true elite"

Spot on Zac.

Curt will someday enter the Hall.

Just won't be this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to elvis-surfs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?  Of course he is, and first ballot...kooks (Joe Sullivan and Scott Thurston)on 10.0 saying that he was second to Pedro on the Sox, citing won/loss record which is the stupidest statistic in pitching...second to Pedro in overall Sox history, but in the years they pitched together they were equal...and I am a major Pedro lover...11-2 in playoff games with a ERA near 2...good grief

[/QUOTE]

I agree Pedro is the nbr 1 pitcher in Sox history.  Is Schilling even in the top 10?

I'd say he's clearly behind Pedro Martinez, Luis Tiant, Joe Wood, Cy Young, Roger Clemens, Babe Ruth, Mel Parnell, Carl Mays, Dutch Leonard and even an aging Lefty Grove.  And that's just off the top of my head.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Clemens cheated and is not even man enough to admit it.  I forgive people who make a mistake only if they admit it and learn from it.  Clemens has done none of that.  

At school, a student gets expelled for cheating.  But I guess in baseball, you have the chance to get into the Hall of Fame.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

[QUOTE]

I suppose you can say it's all about being on a power trip

but I'm thinking some of it is about saving that honor for the true elite

First Ballot Inductees

In Chronological Order

Name Year Inducted

Ty Cobb 1936

Walter Johnson 1936

Christy Mathewson 1936

Babe Ruth 1936

Honus Wagner1936

Bob Feller

Jackie Robinson

Ted Williams

Stan Musial

Sandy Koufax

Warren Spahn

Mickey Mantle

Ernie Banks

Willie Mays

Al Kaline

Bob Gibson

Hank Aaron (bio)

Frank Robinson

Brooks Robinson

Lou Brock

Willie McCovey

Willie Stargell

Johnny Bench

Carl Yastrzemski

Joe Morgan

Jim Palmer

Rod Carew

Tom Seaver

Reggie Jackson

Steve Carlton

Mike Schmidt

George Brett

Nolan Ryan

Robin Yount

Kirby Puckett

Dave Winfield

Ozzie Smith

Eddie Murray

Dennis Eckersley

Paul Molitor

Wade Boggs

Tony Gwynn

Cal Ripken, Jr.

Rickey Henderson

During 1999 the most first ballot inductees (three) were enshrined into the National Baseball Hall of Fame since the first year they opened.

Through today there are 65 living members (including executives, managers, umpires, players & Negro Leaguers) of the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Did you know that not one single player in the National Baseball Hall of Fame has even been selected with 100% of the possible ballots?

[/QUOTE]

Guess I agree with Zac...not a first time ballot guy...the kooks from 10.0 though both stated that Schilling was not even a Hall of Famer...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

he is in

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Great big game pitcher. Even before coming to Boston.  Very instrumental in ending the " curse."  First ballot Hall of Famer. Should be highly respected by all Sox fans.  I think we know why some don't like him.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great big game pitcher. Even before coming to Boston.  Very instumental in ending the " curse."  First ballot Hall of Famer. Should be highly respected by all Sox fans.  I think we know why some don't like him.  

[/QUOTE]

Sad but true, gale. Rice had to wait until he was last year eligible, because the press didn't like him. Personalities should be left out of it and based solely on professional performance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great big game pitcher.  TRUE. Even before coming to Boston. TRUE. Very instumental in ending the " curse." TRUE. First ballot Hall of Famer.  RIDICULOUS*.  Should be highly respected by all Sox fans.  TRUE AND HE IS. I think we know why some don't like him.  BECAUSE HE'S A LOUDMOUTH JERK?  I DON'T THINK THAT AFFECTS PEOPLE'S VIEW OF HIS BASEBALL TALENT.

* What makes you think he's a HOFer at all, no less first ballot? 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Definitely not a HOFer if the HOF still had any credibility.  But it doesn't...everybody wants their hometown guys in..teams now have promotion processes for it.  Rice?  Absurd.  Morris?  No way, but might make it this year.  Schilling?  Come on, he did not have enough great seasons to even be close.

[/QUOTE]

How many great seasons do you need?  He had 4 top-4 CY finishes.

Plus, people are basing his admissions on the post-season.  If it were only regular season stats, I would agree with you-a star, but not a HOF.

But with 11-2 and a 2.23 ERA, and 3 WS rings, he is arguably the best post-season pitcher in history.  That has to count for something.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Not this year as there are too many first year guys. The only way he does is if the writers boycott Sosa, Bonds and Clemens. Even then there a bunch more that he has too deal with. Biggie, Bagwell, etc..

Look Ted was not a unanimous choice because one writer disliked him so nothing is guaranteed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to elvis-surfs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree Pedro is the nbr 1 pitcher in Sox history.  Is Schilling even in the top 10?

I'd say he's clearly behind Pedro Martinez, Luis Tiant, Joe Wood, Cy Young, Roger Clemens, Babe Ruth, Mel Parnell, Carl Mays, Dutch Leonard and even an aging Lefty Grove.  And that's just off the top of my head.

[/QUOTE]

I think guys like Schill and Pedro et al, who pitched so great during the steroid era, should be considered because they were at a big disadvantage because of this...And still had great success...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How many great seasons do you need?  He had 4 top-4 CY finishes.

Plus, people are basing his admissions on the post-season.  If it were only regular season stats, I would agree with you-a star, but not a HOF.

But with 11-2 and a 2.23 ERA, and 3 WS rings, he is arguably the best post-season pitcher in history.  That has to count for something.

[/QUOTE]

I think it does count for something, and with that in mind I'll amend my view of his candidicy to "close, but not quite".  He's borderline, as with Morris, Blyleven, Sutton and others in or out.  I think they, and Rice, and others should all be out...but the HOF is so watered down with these types of guys I don't really care much anyway.

But first ballot?  That's completely ridiculous.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think this is ridiculous.  Mainly because there are some voters who refuse to vote for anyone in their first year of eligibility. 

Also surprised Joe D. didn't get in on first ballot.  For that matter, no one did from 1936 to 1962.

Sections
Shortcuts