Curt Schilling and the Hall of Fame...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Re: Curt Schilling and the Hall of Fame...

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did you know that not one single player in the National Baseball Hall of Fame has even been selected with 100% of the possible ballots?

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofstat.shtml

[/QUOTE]

I think this is ridiculous.  Mainly because there are some voters who refuse to vote for anyone in their first year of eligibility. 

Also surprised Joe D. didn't get in on first ballot.  For that matter, no one did from 1936 to 1962.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to elvis-surfs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?  Of course he is, and first ballot...kooks (Joe Sullivan and Scott Thurston)on 10.0 saying that he was second to Pedro on the Sox, citing won/loss record which is the stupidest statistic in pitching...second to Pedro in overall Sox history, but in the years they pitched together they were equal...and I am a major Pedro lover...11-2 in playoff games with a ERA near 2...good grief

[/QUOTE]

I agree Pedro is the nbr 1 pitcher in Sox history.  Is Schilling even in the top 10?

I'd say he's clearly behind Pedro Martinez, Luis Tiant, Joe Wood, Cy Young, Roger Clemens, Babe Ruth, Mel Parnell, Carl Mays, Dutch Leonard and even an aging Lefty Grove.  And that's just off the top of my head.

[/QUOTE]

ouch, tough crowd, but that's why I read here as much as I do...yeah, that was not worded right...I sorta meant that compared to each other in sox history - not compared to all pitchers during sox history, and in 2004, they were equally important...

As far as other pitchers, I still actually have a soft spot in my heart for Bill Lee...not sure of his stats, but many a fond memory of him pitching when I was a wee lad...and of course Louis...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

no way.  doesnt have the numbers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i'm on the fence about Schill..it might take a couple of spins...i know one thing though, if he does get in, those seats on the dais and in the audience better be comfortable :) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

no way.  doesnt have the numbers.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Finally, a rational thought about the topic. Truth is Schilling's numbers aren't even remotely close to being worthy of consideration. If he gets in at all over the period of his eligibility it's a joke--or a bag job. 

Look, folks---there's no question about Curt's heroics in post-season play, but there's already an exhibit honoring those events in the HOF---and that's all there should be. Take away Curt's post season kudos and his numbers are very, very pedestrian. And when you factor the universal dislike for Curt by both teammates and writers alike---the man neither warrants, nor will get, even near the required votes---at any point in time. And that's just plain reality. The pollyannas need to grab a smelling salt and some fresh air. They're way out to lunch on this thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Schilling's numbers are Hall-worthy.  Compare them to Don Drysdale's, they're all better than Drysdale's, and nobody argues about Drysdale being in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I can live with Schilling in the Hall of Fame, but it's an injustice that Tiant isn't in.

Tiant 229-172, 3.30 ERA, 4 20-win seasons, 13 seasons of 10-plus wins.

Schilling 216-146, 3.46 ERA, 3 20-win seasons, 10 seasons of 10-plus wins.

Schilling had more postseason chances than Tiant, but Tiant was 3-0 in five postseason starts.