DAD says, "SON, don't do it, but me thinks that BIG PAPI is on"..........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

Re: DAD says,

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It still never ceases to amaze me how many posters react to small sample size slumps as if they are some sign of sudden and/or rapid decline or as a sign of what is to come in the immediate or longterm future. 

Sox4ever

Bill goes beyond over-reacting to small sample sizes.  Bill hates Ortiz and he's clueless about baseball.

NO hate here....... Just wondering how long "BIG PAPI", Can hold out "!!!!

[/QUOTE]
    What do you mean hold out?...His Batting Average and On Base Pct have risen since the ASG. He looks as good now as he has any time this season. Please elaborate !

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

It still never ceases to amaze me how many posters react to small sample size slumps as if they are some sign of sudden and/or rapid decline or as a sign of what is to come in the immediate or longterm future. 

Sox4ever

Bill goes beyond over-reacting to small sample sizes.  Bill hates Ortiz and he's clueless about baseball.

NO hate here....... Just wondering how long "BIG PAPI", Can hold out "!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Papi is not the first MLB player to hold off age-related decline.

One year, you will end up being right, but BILL, why do you feel the need to post a Papi slide thread everytime he has even a minislump?

Sit back and enjoy the ride. It's not like he's holding back the next Carltoin Fisk or Boggy or JBJ or...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

David Ortiz is  batting .500 with one home run in his last  four at-bats.

Hey,  if Bill can use a ridiculously small  sample size, so can I.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Lol, this thread is awesome.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Since the start of the 2010 season, among every qualified MLB player Papi ranks 4th in OPS (3rd in SLG% and 6th in OBP) and 13th in HRs. 

It sure seems like he's in a heavy decine....

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Look at how many sluggers had big years at 37 or older and then within 12 months were shadows of their former selves. Then it was over all together.

Jim Thome

Ken Griffey Jr.

Harold Baines

Reggie Jackson

Most premium sluggers were doing what David is doing now at the same age... then evaporated.

On could make a similar list of players losing it quickly after 34, 35, 36, 38...

One of these years, BILL will get it right. He'll then brag abpout being "right" for several tears afterwards.

Jim Rice 33 to 34 years old.

I won't bring up the cheater Barry Bonds, so here are some 38 year old OPS:

(Since 1970 only)

.966 Edgar Martinez

.952 Cal Ripken

.949 Willie Stargell

.926 Frank Thomas

.918 Moises Alou

.904 Hank Aaron

.891 Ron Cey

.886 Larry Walker

.875 Darrell Evans

.870 Manny Ramirez

.867 R Palmeiro

.865 T Gwynn

.863 S Finley

.861 J Kent

.858 F McGriff

.850 Rico Carty

.848 P Rose

.847 J Thome

.839 G Sheffield

.838 J Morgan

That's just 21.

How about age 39? (Notice some of the same names.)

1.045 H. Aaron

1.039 Thome

.923 M Alou

.917 M Stairs

.904 Stargell

.897 W Mays

.895 Galarraga

.891 E Murray

.888 E Martinez

.875 J kent

.867 McCovey

.858 Molitor

.858 T Gwynn

.857 Thomas

.852 Gaetti

.847 Jackson

Age 40:

.919 Baines

.916 M Alou

.907 W Mays

.895 E Martinez (on all 3 lists and a DH like Papi)

.889 R Hendu

.880 Darrell Evans

.867 Winfield

.838 Thome

.832 Aaron

.832 C Jones

.823 Sheffield

.812 Yaz

Age 41

.835 B Downing

.830 C Fisk

.813 Ibanez

.802 W Mays

.800 D Lopes

Age 42:

Fisk .829

Age 43:

Yaz  .767

Age 44:

J Franco .824 (but just 223 PAs)

Age 45:

Franco  .818 in 361 PAs

Not many players kept producing after 37, but there's enough to have hope. Plus, Papi has been a DH for his whole career. Guys like Edgar Martinez, Jim Thome, Frank Thomas had their careers prolonged by the DH positon.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Since the start of the 2010 season, among every qualified MLB player Papi ranks 4th in OPS (3rd in SLG% and 6th in OBP) and 13th in HRs. 

Even more amazingly, since the start of 2012, 159 players have over 800 PAs.

Ortiz ranks 2nd in OPS at 1.002 (only Miggy is better).

5th in OBP at .409

2nd in SLG at .592

Yes, he may end up losing everything all at once, but there is no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Even more amazingly, since the start of 2012, 159 players have over 800 PAs.

Ortiz ranks 2nd in OPS at 1.002 (only Miggy is better).

5th in OBP at .409

2nd in SLG at .592

Yes, he may end up losing everything all at once, but there is no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Sox4ever

HoF bound regardless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Good call bill-69!

Only hitting .316 in August with a meager .876 OPS.  ONLY 8 RBI's in 14 games w 3 HR's

Extrapolation would net NO LESS THAN 35 HR's w 93 RBI's per 162 MINIMUM!!!!!!

Really slowing down Lil Billy

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Look at how many sluggers had big years at 37 or older and then within 12 months were shadows of their former selves. Then it was over all together.

Jim Thome

Ken Griffey Jr.

Harold Baines

Reggie Jackson

Most premium sluggers were doing what David is doing now at the same age... then evaporated.

Actually Baines had am .832 OPS at age 38. He was at .819 at age 39 . He then had an awesome 919 OPS at age 40. (His career OPS was .820) Not a good example.

Reggie had an .847 OPS at age 40 (which is a higher OPS than his career OPS)

Thome .838 at age 40 (way below his career OPS, but still more than decent.).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Does anyone else here feel like they are being watched ?... each of my non-baseball posts were removed and only could be if someone were directly paying attention to them. 

Is there really someone reading every post? 

I'd shoot myself if it were my job.

YES!   Lil' Billy, Pike, Etc., & Co. Are all working for the BDC division of the NSA.  You most certainly are being watched!

You see....  These thin skinned Nancy's report as "ABUSE" anything THEY don't like.  Those posts are automatically removed.

Hey there Nancy girl there's another Nancy deep inside.....  ;)

RSDD

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Does anyone else here feel like they are being watched ?... each of my non-baseball posts were removed and only could be if someone were directly paying attention to them. 

Is there really someone reading every post? 

I'd shoot myself if it were my job.

p

TEST???

Report "abuse" on this post.

now start the count down.   .        .               .          .

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to jackbu's comment:

Wow, what a shock, another dumb thread about Ortiz by Bill.

Ortiz was only hitting .324 coming into this game.

Really? Dumb thread?  How many homers does he have since the all star break?  How many since July 1st?  Last night close game and any hit would have been clutch but Papi chooses to go 0 for 4.

Well he is fourth in the AL in OPS.  I don't know if you know this but that is considered good.

Last 7 games 8 for 28 with two home runs.

Bill and Jackbu need a new obsession.

that's not what I asked?  I asked how many since the break and since July 1. I think 2 in july is the number for that month. 

with that last strike out he is 1 for his last 11.

[/QUOTE]
    Is ever allowed to go more than a game without a hit? He has four HR in August by the way and there is still almost two weeks left. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Does the .ops matter if your #4 hitter hits 12 homers and drives in 50 runs?

I only note it because now we have no #5 and soon we will have no #4, and honestly who is our #3 next year without Elles in the line-up?

Maybe next year will be more of a struggle than most might think.

I agree. We have a balanced line-up this year and an old guy up 4th. We lose Ellsbury, Salty (plus offense from the catcher position), Napoli, and Drew. Some seem easy to replace, but on offense it might not be.

We really need to address the RH'd middle-of-the-order bopper slot this winter. Not only will it help in 2014, but it will ease the pain when Papi retires or declines.

I'm not sure that our offense will be all that great even if we sign Ellsbury, McCann and K Morales (plus adding Boggy at SS). We'll still need little or no decline from Papi and a few other things to go right.

Sox4ever

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Jim Thome

Ken Griffey Jr.

Harold Baines

Reggie Jackson

Carl Yastrzemski had one of his best seasons of his careers, and best post-1970, in 1977 -- he was 37 and turned 38 in August --  when he had 28 HRs, 102 RBIs, .296 BA, .372 OBP, .505 SLG and .877 OPS.

When Yaz was Ortiz's age -- 36 turning 37 -- he had 21 homers and 102 RBIs .267 BA. So he got better. Then in 1978, 38 and turned 39, he still put up excellent numbers -- 17-81-.277 and in 1979 when he was 39 and turned 40 -- 21 HR, 87 RBI, .270.

So it is possible to be productive into your late 30s. And Ortiz's HR numbers haven't spiked in recent years as he got older like Bonds and others. Since his peak year, they've come back down (35 one year) and been in the 28-32 range, which is what he likely will end up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Papi had 18hr thru june and 7 since with 39 games remaining. His second half numbers are on pace to be similar to his first half. He should have 30hr with 90+rbi a BA around .320 and a .400OBP .550slg

but you 2 keep making fools of youselves. The stats are easy to look up.

come on southie why look at stats when you know you are rightFoot in Mouth

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

Papi had 18hr thru june and 7 since with 39 games remaining. His second half numbers are on pace to be similar to his first half. He should have 30hr with 90+rbi a BA around .320 and a .400OBP .550slg

but you 2 keep making fools of youselves. The stats are easy to look up.

come on southie why look at stats when you know you are rightFoot in Mouth

[/QUOTE]

+1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

The slide !!!   What say you ????????????

I have stayed away from posting, but I have to say.. This is just another stupid post by Captain Rear View Mirror.  If Bathtub Bill and his floating boat were in charge, Papp Sox might be at the bottom of the standings.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts