Daisuke likely out at least a month

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Daisuke likely out at least a month

WEEI:

Red Sox Medical Director Dr. Tom Gill issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon in regards to right-handed pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka: “Daisuke experienced tightness in his elbow during his last start. His examination is consistent with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament, and strain to his common flexor mass. An MRI was obtained which confirmed these exam findings. He will be re-examined in two weeks.”
    After the statement, Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Matsuzaka won't throw at least until his exam in two weeks, and added that it’s “probably ambitious he will throw then.” He added that the Sox are somewhat relieved to have diagnosed the injury at a time when it remains “manageable,” before getting more serious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

Re: Daisuke likely out at least a month

Sweet. Now I can watch all the Sox games, cuz I sure couldn't watch the ones he pitched! Maybe he'll take the time off to learn English. Doubt Larry and Theo will go fishing in Japanese waters again in the near future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

The RS knew just what they were doing in the off season after 2006.

They missed the playoffs in 2006 for the first time since the Trio bought the team. They were getting no offense from SS, Trot Nixon's RS career was ending with a whimper meaning they had a hole in RF and the starting pitching staff was thin.

They had Beckett coming off of a bad introductory year to the AL East, Schill in the last year of his deal and Wakefield. Matt Clement's career was in jeopardy with  both his labrum and rotor cuff needing surgical repair. Jon Lester was battling Hodgkin's disease. Jonathan papelbon was being considered being converted to a starter but he was shut down because of his shoulder in late 06. It was thin indeed.

But they had Lowell, Tek, Manny and Papi all in the back end of prime. Coco Crisp had missed much of 06 with injury and never got back on track when he returned. Youk had emerged as a fine every day player. If they could bolster the weak spots they had a shot at a ring, their division was as weak as it had been since they bought the team.

Since they did not have the pitching in the system there were three choices in the FA market for starting pitchers. Zito, Schmidt and Dice K. History has shown they picked the right guy even if the last 2 + season have been marred by injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

A blessing in disguise perhaps?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I don't see this as a blessing.  Before Dice-K got injured, he had pitched two really good games.  He has admittedly pitched poorly since his elbow first locked up on him, but that can clearly be attributed to his elbow not being right.  When he was healthy, he was clearly the best 5th starter out there.

Thank god they kept Wakefield.  But, please...don't sign Millwood!!  If Aceves or Wakefield gets hurt, you have Miller and Doubront.  Either will be better than Millwood could ever be, IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

It's too bad they kept Wakefield, and DiceK can't return soon enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I thought Wakefield was already injured - sure looks that way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Have to love RS fans who rip one of their own when he gets hurt. Lots of class! There are good times and bad times to rip a guy, this would not be the time. To bad seemed to be getting it together after rough start. Hopefully will come back healthy and pitch well. Bright side no surgery.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSNS14. Show RSNS14's posts

How people can actually be happy about this is beyond me. As a #5 starting pitcher Dice-K is among the best in the league. Now we're getting Wake. You feel confident in that guy for 6 innings? not me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

garyhow if there are 25 players on the team and I rip the same three all day long; but you never hear a bad word about twenty-two others from me.

Wakefield is no Dice-K and we have a bIg issue here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

When healthy Dice has been decent in his time with the Red Sox.  He obviously has been a disappointment because of the hype before he came but one would be foolish to be glad he is injured.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How was Wake before his back injury that led to surgery?

(Let me answer: he had just had his best 50 start stretch of his career)

Why do only some player's injuries count as an excuse, but others don't?

(Stay consistent and keep the goalposts still for change.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Matsuzaka was pitching pretty darn well before the injury.  If he gets over the elbow, he could help the team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

funny how there's no mention of the fact that he Dice took a line drive right in the chest. that had to hurt wouldn't you say?

also, I'll go on record as to not being happy at all when one of our guys goes down to injury. no REAL red sox fan would be. if you are, go root for another team. that kind of attitude makes me sick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe--1. Show --The--Babe--1's posts

In Response to Re: Daisuke likely out at least a month:
    I don't see this as a blessing.  Before Dice-K got injured, he had pitched two really good games.  He has admittedly pitched poorly since his elbow first locked up on him, but that can clearly be attributed to his elbow not being right.  When he was healthy, he was clearly the best 5th starter out there. Thank god they kept Wakefield.  But, please...don't sign Millwood!!  If Aceves or Wakefield gets hurt, you have Miller and Doubront.  Either will be better than Millwood could ever be, IMO.

Posted by parhunter1

ummm...aren't they both on the DL?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Didn't Tito use him in late relief in a cold rainy game?  Or is that how the tale goes?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Dang.  Its 2010 all over again.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I think a great deal of the animosity toward Dice-K starts with the injury in the off season after the 2008 season.  This injury seems to have carried over til the present day.  This injury, subsequent injuries,  his lack of honesty with the team regarding said injuries, his subsequent "revelations" about said injuries to the Japanese media (news to The Red Sox Organization), his lack of cooperation with The Red Sox Training Program,  his BRUTAL TO WATCH & play behind pitching style (i.e. incessant nibbling, constant full counts, subsequent walks, SLOW PITCH GAME, high pitch counts & early exits - killing the BP), seeming unwillingness to "communicate / understand" what Tek. is trying to say to him, etc. etc. etc. etc., makes Dice-K a very difficult pitcher to rally behind.........
    Nobody's rooting against the guy, but I can certainly see how many Sox fans have absolutely reached the breaking point with the guy!  

The fact is, Dice-K has been losing more games for us than he has been winning for FAR TOO LONG....... Bottom line!!!  Unfortunately, he makes us a worse team!  Therefore, many are more or less HAPPY he is out of the line-up, no matter what the reason.....  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

How was Wake before his back injury that led to surgery?

How long ago was that excuse?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

When healthy Dice has been decent in his time with the Red Sox.  He obviously has been a disappointment because of the hype before he came but one would be foolish to be glad he is injured.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I agree with you.  It is definitely not good that he is going to be out for an extended period of time.  We can only be thankful that the starting pitchers that are not on the DL are pitching great right now.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

Great post, Susan, post more often!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

The fact is, Dice-K has been losing more games for us than he has been winning for FAR TOO LONG....... Bottom line!!!  Unfortunately, he makes us a worse team!  Therefore, many are more or less HAPPY he is out of the line-up, no matter what the reason.....  
    Posted by redsoxdirtdog

I hate to confuse the discussion with facts, but Matsuzaka's career record with the Sox is 49-30, and the team's record in games he started is 64-41.  I don't know how you would intepret these figures, but I think most people would say that they suggest he has helped the team win more games than he has caused it to lose. 

Sections
Shortcuts