Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!

In Response to Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!:
    [QUOTE]tired of all this crap about beloved Fenway Park..wonderful memories from yesteryear!! Great stuff shoved down our throats.. It's simply time for a NEW ball park . Designed for people with heights over 5ft tall..More seating, clean bathrooms.. Why not us ?? Is NY / Baltimore/Detroit/ The Freakin Marlins/ Twins., all better organizations than Boston? I don't want to hear it anymore. Fenway, like Varitek, is old and had its day.. Lets get a new park!!
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're right. $1B ought to do it. Fenway is a relic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The day they tear down Fenway is the day I die.  I am sorry the seats aren't as comfy as you like, and that you are offended by the troughs in the mens rooms.  Most beautiful place in the world as far as I am concerned.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]tired of all this crap about beloved Fenway Park..wonderful memories from yesteryear!! Great stuff shoved down our throats.. It's simply time for a NEW ball park . Designed for people with heights over 5ft tall..More seating, clean bathrooms.. Why not us ?? Is NY / Baltimore/Detroit/ The Freakin Marlins/ Twins., all better organizations than Boston? I don't want to hear it anymore. Fenway, like Varitek, is old and had its day.. Lets get a new park!!

That's why no one goes there anymore.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!:
    [QUOTE]The day they tear down Fenway is the day I die.  I am sorry the seats aren't as comfy as you like, and that you are offended by the troughs in the mens rooms.  Most beautiful place in the world as far as I am concerned.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree, although I've come around in that I could support a new stadium, but I'd want it in the Fenway area and I want the outside to look the same and the inside dimensions to be the same.

The problem will be city and state politics. I don't blame Henry and Company for not wanting to get involved in that mess.

Look at the crp that happened with the sale when politicians tried to stir up trouble for political reasons.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

The coliseums of Rome are still standing today. Today we tear down our coliseums 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Not likely to happen but it should. Fenway is a disgrace, yes they have made improvements but all focused on generating revenue and not improving the sight lines (right field seats still face right field) nor are they able to remove the suppport stantions which are a great viewing hinderance. Also, the bathrooms - well if you have been there you know. 

All these cries of "over my dead body" ignore just what a pathetic excuse for a major league ballpark it is. Also, until the recent world championships, most of the Red Sox history has been bad and embarssing; last team to have a player of African descent. While the rest of the league eventually embraced the idea of having dark skinned players (because they were outstanding not because of an enlightend view of civil rights) ole Tom Yawkey remained defiant and his definance resulted in over a decade of poor performance.

We're being sold a bunch of bovine excrement with all this "oh, it's a wonderful old ball park". Well old it is, wonderful - not so much. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!": [QUOTE]The day they tear down Fenway is the day I die.  I am sorry the seats aren't as comfy as you like, and that you are offended by the troughs in the mens rooms.  Most beautiful place in the world as far as I am concerned. Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE] Ive never been to Fenway, its too far away. But my brother went to a game in Fenway two years ago to see the White Sox. He sat in foul territory on the right field line. He unscrewed a nut off one of the million year old seats and gave it to me. I have an official Fenway souvenir. Lame I guess, but I've got it and you don't, so if they ever tear it down.......I'm just sayin'......And BTW, don't tear down Fenway. You've got to be kidding? I still can't believe they tore down YS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The problem about tearing down Fenway is the cost. It is over a 1 billion dollar project, that would have to all come from the Sox, TD Garden and Gilette are all privately funded. The state of Mass would have rather lost the Pats then build them a stadium, so I don't think a super expensive big dig 2 type of project is going to fly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Renovation and engineering is the way to go. A new renovaion phase each year will be fine. New bathrooms, new seats with fat people sections, and modernized exterior areas. See totally renovated 1959 Corvette.

Varitek can't be renovated, even with hgh.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stodknocker. Show stodknocker's posts

They are not going to tear it down. In 2012 when the building is officially 100 years old it be a Nationial Historic Site (the only one in baseball) which means it cannot be torn down. This is why that silly ladder in the outfield is still there, because if they change it, it not longer is "historical." This is one of the reasons Henry and Co have done nothing about a new park. Once Fenway becomes a National Landmark (read: opening day 2012) you may hear more word about a new stadium as the old one will remain as a landmark and has no possibility of being torn down

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

A new ballpark would be fine with me as long as the dimentions, green wall, etc. etc. etc. were kept.

New fan seating without obstrucion, restrooms, larger seats etc. etc. are needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The green monster needs to be a minnie monster and pushed further back, dropping it an inch for each inch it is pushed back.  It should be 2/3 of its present height. The current Monster has been a detriment to the team overall.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

We don't deserve anything but a team that plays with a devotion that matches our fandom.  If you don't like Fenway Park, don't go there.  If your rear end is too large to shimmy into its seats, go on a diet, or else watch it in HD sprawled out on your sofa like a beached whale. 

There is great character in Fenway, despite being short on comfort - like a treasured antique.  Retro ballparks are nothing more than faux antiques attempting to imitate the original with manufactured character.  We still have the original.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

No way, Fenway paaak is the only home the Red Sox should ever have!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The green monster needs to be a minnie monster and pushed further back, dropping it an inch for each inch it is pushed back.  It should be 2/3 of its present height. The current Monster has been a detriment to the team overall.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]You're right Burrito. That close wall in LF gets our right handed hitters to try to pull the ball too much, and intimidates a lot of LH pitchers. I think the monster is a real boon for LH hitters who can hit the ball the other way. Pedro always hated it though, and you kind of have to trust Petey's judgement as a pitcher.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Who are you people? Fenway is one of the most beautiful places in the world! I don't care if the bathrooms are dirty or if you have to move in your seat a little bit to get a better view! It may seem like a dump to those of you who have season tickets, but to the rest of us, who get to go to Boston to see a game once in a blue moon, it's a shrine to the history of the team...where you can see the place where so many great memories have taken place: Fisk pleading the ball fair, Papi's comebacks in 04, perfect games. Memories that you didn't have to be at...or even be alive, to hold dear, and to be able to go and make new ones of your own to go with them. The best thing about baseball is the history behind it. Call me sappy, call me nostalgic, but Fenway and wrigley are the two best parks I've ever been to, and it doesn't matter to me that the seat isn't cushy enough. The big part of baseball has always been that family bond..father to son, etc. I want to watch my Red Sox teams play in the same place as my dad did, and my grandfather did. It would be an absolute travesty if the Sox ever played a home season away from Fenway, but maybe that's just me......Rant over

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

im in the middle. i love fenway and would love to see it around for a long time, but i wouldnt be completely opposed to a shiny new stadium

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

An Outsider's perspective

When it was first mentioned that they were going to tear down Yankee Stadium and build a new one across the street, I felt like they were ripping away part of my childhood. I mean, this is the place that was called the Cathedral of baseball. What could they possibly do with a new stadium that would at all justify this demolition of everything that was sacred to me in baseball. This was the place my father took me to when I was 4 years old and saw Mickey, Maris, Whitey, Stottelmyre, etc. It was where I fell in love with the NY/Bos rivalry and saw Yaz and Tony C. I just didn't think it could be replaced. But they did and I survived with all my memories in tact. And in 2009, I had new memories in a new stadium. It wasn't so bad.

We are in the 2nd decade of a new century, and if a new park in Boston is needed (not saying it is), then hold onto your memories and then allow new ones to be made in the new park.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Syd. Show Syd's posts

[QUOTE]The day they tear down Fenway is the day I die.  I am sorry the seats aren't as comfy as you like, and that you are offended by the troughs in the mens rooms.  Most beautiful place in the world as far as I am concerned.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Spaceman. I have many great memories in those obstructed view seats such as watching Billy Martin and Reggie Jackson going at it in the dugout. Taking my mom to watch a doubleheader in the bleachers and sneaking out of Boston English High in the early part of the season to watch an afternoon game. They don't need to replace Fenway, just keep doing the upgrades as necessary. The Sox do not need to keep up with the Jones' by building a new park. Fenway For Ever!!

Go Sox!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It's an age old thing.    As a rule, New Englanders do not like change.     They'll tolerate crowded aisles and missing an inning or more by the time they navigate out of tiny poor sightlines of many seats and finally get to a crowded restroom.     John Henry gets a hefty tax break for fresh green paint each year and adding 25 seats here and 50 seats there to enhance his revenue.
    Paying upwards of $50.00 to park somewhere near the old relic ?    Not a problem.

Don't expect something different anytime soon.      There will be a 150th anniversary coming up in 2052.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with few posters above.   Keep the park in the same spot, but tear down the stadium and rebuild the new stadium with better seating.  But the design of the building should be a bit same, and have more seats (45,000 to 50,000).  

Fenway Park is on the right spot with the Charles River behind the Green Wall, and Prudential tower building way back behind the right field.  Keep the famous right field corner, and the dimensions too.  Like the bleacher behind the bullpens.

The problem is that where Boston will play their home games while restructing the whole Fenway Park?   Need to find a football stadium that can convert to a baseball stadium like the Dolphins's stadium, but all football stadium around the New England areas are all built for football game only.

That is why John Henry do not feel like finding a property somewhere in Boston to build a new stadium cuz Henry along the fans would feel too different if they play there!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I must admit that I left New England some 30 years ago and my memories of Fenway are from my youth.  Magical as a kid, but I don't hear about as many magic moments as I use to.  I am somewhat on the fence (monster) on this one but I do think that a new Fenway can be constructed in pretty much the same configuration but with better views and more seats.  Seams to me that would be easy with newer construction abilities.  Loved the place before all of the Henry regime's changes, still like the looks now I just think we can do better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]An Outsider's perspective When it was first mentioned that they were going to tear down Yankee Stadium and build a new one across the street, I felt like they were ripping away part of my childhood. I mean, this is the place that was called the Cathedral of baseball. What could they possibly do with a new stadium that would at all justify this demolition of everything that was sacred to me in baseball. This was the place my father took me to when I was 4 years old and saw Mickey, Maris, Whitey, Stottelmyre, etc. It was where I fell in love with the NY/Bos rivalry and saw Yaz and Tony C. I just didn't think it could be replaced. But they did and I survived with all my memories in tact. And in 2009, I had new memories in a new stadium. It wasn't so bad. We are in the 2nd decade of a new century, and if a new park in Boston is needed (not saying it is), then hold onto your memories and then allow new ones to be made in the new park.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE] amen to that Jess, though i still miss the old YS, mine and my son's first live playoff game...although technically he was still inside Mommy at the time...Tongue out...i can certainly understand those Sox fans who remain attached to Fenway.....nice park, was always on my 5 park wish list..got it done in 2000

Sections
Shortcuts