Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!

who said they had to tear it down?  they blew their chance when they could have built a new ballpark on the waterfront.  the current fenway could be kept as a museum and they could give tours etc....or even have "special games" there on occasion.  but the sox should have built a new ballpark on the waterfront when they had the chance.  it could have been built with the same exact specifications, but with more (and better) seating, no annoying poles in the way, seats that face homeplate, wider aisles so everyone doesn't have to move when someone wants to get up etc....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Fine make the Obstructed Seats $5 all games.. who in the heck cares....  I don't sit there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!!:
    Fine make the Obstructed Seats $5 all games.. who in the heck cares....  I don't sit there.
    Posted by BurritoT

Used to love those obstructed view when i was a kid.  I could actually afford them on my own.  Saved up my allowance for em.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Last ime I went to Fenway was 2006, I saw a night game and went in stood in line the next day (5 hours pre-game time) to a day game.... I did it because I love Fenway and the team. I walked from Beacon Hill from my cousins apartment... warm late summer morning.

What I do not want when they tear it down is to see a replica... the Monster is a joke in many ways, though I respect it as it is now in the original Fens.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Last ime I went to Fenway was 2006, I saw a night game and went in stood in line the next day (5 hours pre-game time) to a day game.... I did it because I love Fenway and the team. What I do not want when they tear it down is to see a replica... the Monster is a joke in many ways, though I respect it as it is now in the original Fens.
    Posted by BurritoT

There are certainly other elements of the park that could be considered jokes as well.  But, thats the part about Fenway, and the freedom in baseball park design overall, that I love.  The ideosyncracies.  I used to build my own toy stadiums out of cardboard when I was a boy, just to come up with fun twists and dimensional ireegularities.  I really think that is part of what makes baseball so great.  certainly why new "old" parks like AT&T and Camden are being built with throwback irregular aspects.  I could seriously do without anymore cookie cutter shiny football stadiums.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

A friend of mine's son, both die hard Yankee fans, attends college in Boston. He went to Fenway this past spring. He sent him a text from the game "Fenway is the Bomb". I asked if that was a good thing He said the Best. Cool

Fenway is about more than the game, it's the history, atmosphere and experience, which is why 38,000+ pay, 81 games a year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

John Henry has done a nice job of revenue enhancing all around the ballpark with advertisements in every available space.    It might take a full inning to read them all.
    No surprise if bleacher seats are installed on top of the Prudential Building with high powered binoculars rented to the fans for $50.00 per seat - per game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

John Henry has done a nice job of revenue enhancing all around the ballpark with advertisements in every available space.    It might take a full inning to read them all. No surprise if bleacher seats are installed on top of the Prudential Building with high powered binoculars rented to the fans for $50.00 per seat - per game.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

Haha. Nice.  That would actually be kinda cool.

I guess perspective is everything.  Back in 2010, I went to the first game I had been to at Fenway since the 90s.  And, expecting the rickety confines of that era's Fenway, I felt like I had just walked into a brand spankin new gem of a luxury stadium.  I love what Henry has done with the place.  Still the same ol' Fenway, but now its XTREME-FENWAY!  Good stuff.  Really want to catch a game from the monster seats sometime.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!! : Haha. Nice.  That would actually be kinda cool. I guess perspective is everything.  Back in 2010, I went to the first game I had been to at Fenway since the 90s.  And, expecting the rickety confines of that era's Fenway, I felt like I had just walked into a brand spankin new gem of a luxury stadium.  I love what Henry has done with the place.  Still the same ol' Fenway, but now its XTREME-FENWAY!  Good stuff.  Really want to catch a game from the monster seats sometime.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

I've gone every year of the renovations space.  Slowly but surely,  ownership has done what they promised in 2002. They saved the best for last. The HD screens- the old feel with the new technology. Great job

How about an updated holiday picture of spacegirl??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

There is no sense of tradition anymore.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!! : I've gone every year of the renovations space.  Slowly but surely,  ownership has done what they promised in 2002. They saved the best for last. The HD screens- the old feel with the new technology. Great job How about an updated holiday picture of spacegirl??
    Posted by J-BAY

J- Gotta get a coupla Spacegirl pics off the cam and I'll hit ya with one.  She is a cutey pie.  Precocious as all get out, but smart as a whip.  I guess that goes together.

She is learning her alphabet.  'B' is her favorite letter.  Now, she has taken to pointing at the B on my various ballcaps, and then clapping her hands and cheering ... THATS MY GIRL!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Damn It! We deserve a New Ballpark!!!! : J- Gotta get a coupla Spacegirl pics off the cam and I'll hit ya with one.  She is a cutey pie.  Precocious as all get out, but smart as a whip.  I guess that goes together. She is learning her alphabet.  'B' is her favorite letter.  Now, she has taken to pointing at the B on my various ballcaps, and then clapping her hands and cheering ... THATS MY GIRL!
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Amazing how smart they are isn't it??  she's not old enough to get the whole Christmas/Santa thing yet, but she'll know it's something fun nonetheless. Good to hear you're bringing her up right, in the belly of the beast. Tongue out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

An Outsider's perspective When it was first mentioned that they were going to tear down Yankee Stadium and build a new one across the street, I felt like they were ripping away part of my childhood. I mean, this is the place that was called the Cathedral of baseball. What could they possibly do with a new stadium that would at all justify this demolition of everything that was sacred to me in baseball. This was the place my father took me to when I was 4 years old and saw Mickey, Maris, Whitey, Stottelmyre, etc. It was where I fell in love with the NY/Bos rivalry and saw Yaz and Tony C. I just didn't think it could be replaced. But they did and I survived with all my memories in tact. And in 2009, I had new memories in a new stadium. It wasn't so bad. We are in the 2nd decade of a new century, and if a new park in Boston is needed (not saying it is), then hold onto your memories and then allow new ones to be made in the new park.
    Posted by jesseyeric

JE...
    I was there last summer and it struck me that it should have been in Rome!  It just seems too sterile to me.  Sterile and overblown.  

I'll confess that I liked the proximity of the concession stands and bathrooms to the seats, and the seats ARE much more comfy than those in Fenway but it seemed to me that it was just too .... perfect.  Baseball isn't a perfect game.  It involves dirt and sweat and the new YS seems to repel both of those things.
      JMO
    At the same time I have to admit that the ushers and folks in the concession stands were much more courteous than I'd thought they'd be.

It serves a purpose, but I'd hate to see anything like it replace Fenway.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

And here's another reason not to tear down Fenway:

Fenway, Wrigley, and maybe a couple of others are monuments to baseball and thus should be allowed to stay and be played in.  The bad angles and small seats harken to a time before players got mulit-million dollar contracts and had agents, and that's worth saving.

Let 'em build those new parks in other cities if you want.  I was at Camden Yards last year and it's beautiful there. It has everything anyone would want... except history.  Ownership tried to put some history in the surrounding area with their version of Monument Park, but walking on new bricks and looking at new statues just isn't the same as history.  I'd rather look at the field and know that this is the same park where Bobby Dorr, Ted Williams and Yaz played.

There's a place for both the new and the old in MLB today, and I'm proud to say that I revere the old and want it intact. 

(I was also at The Trop last year and that place is a dump.  But that's another story.  :-))  )

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

They are not going to tear it down. In 2012 when the building is officially 100 years old it be a Nationial Historic Site (the only one in baseball) which means it cannot be torn down. This is why that silly ladder in the outfield is still there, because if they change it, it not longer is "historical." This is one of the reasons Henry and Co have done nothing about a new park. Once Fenway becomes a National Landmark (read: opening day 2012) you may hear more word about a new stadium as the old one will remain as a landmark and has no possibility of being torn down
    Posted by stodknocker

You are probably right.  Although, I am not sure where they would build a new ballpark.  If they build a new fenway I hope that it is still in Boston.  I wouldn't want to travel a long distance to go to watch the Red Sox.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I'll take Fenway with all it's warts over the new Yankee stadium any day.  A small part of my soul will die the day I see $5000 barcalounger seats behind home plate for a Sox home game.  **** that.  That silly **** is for the ******* Yankee *******s.  Oh, and while I am at it $&^#&% 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Didn't the Harrington Trust try to sell this idea before Henry & Co. bought the team?   If I recall, there were sports reporters at the time who were constantly complaining about how Fenway didn't serve Sushi or have valet parking - or other such weak sewage that sports reporters who think they are entitled to Hollywood treatment spew out.  If I also recall, there were a lot of Sox fans who were totally against it at the time.  

As for me, may the Sox play at Fenway for the next 100 years.  I've been there on many occation and its funny...I always hear about the cramped seats or tiny restrooms or obstructed views....but what I remember is watching a ball game.  And not just any ball game...I'm watching the Sox play live.   I'm with friends and family and even strangers who, for the next three hours, are the best buddies I've ever had.  I remember standing as one with the crowd and cheering a home run (or what looks like a home run or what would have been a home run had that son of a jerk not made that super awesome catch).   I remember the fun I had and the enjoyment I got. 

My first game at Fenway was an obstructed view.  The only reason I remember that is because it's printed on the ticket stub I saved. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

I'll take Fenway with all it's warts over the new Yankee stadium any day.  A small part of my soul will die the day I see $5000 barcalounger seats behind home plate for a Sox home game.  **** that.  That silly **** is for the ******* Yankee *******s.  Oh, and while I am at it $&^#&% 
    Posted by 111SoxFan111
    translation....you like Fenway...got it...Tongue outWink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If the "ELECTRIC" feeling, & tear jerking nostalgia doesn't overwhelmingly cause you to completely overlook the "pleasantries" of other modern ballparks, you probably aren't much of a LONG TERM Sox fan!!!!  When I talk to my friends here in Oregon about re-visiting Fenway each and every summer, the home of my youth, I get choked up just talking about that magical feeling I get.  NO amount of "pleasantries" could ever replace that feeling!  I'm sure the day will eventually come, but I hope it's not too soon!

Every summer, I go home to Mass. for a couple of weeks.  I'm not looking for roller coasters & theme parks on the Cape!!!!!!  Nor am I looking to take in a Red Sox Game at a shiny new ballpark next to Gillette Stadium!!!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

So you stopped trolling the Bruins forum and came here.
    Don't waste your time guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Yes, Fenway has to go. Just think about it! All I read is about money. Imagine how much revenue they could generate each year putting 15-20 thousand more butts in those seats at $35+ a pop 82 times a year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I have always wanted to play whiffle ball in Fenway, some September/October afternoon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I have always wanted to play whiffle ball in Fenway, some September/October afternoon.
    Posted by BurritoT
    When I was a kid impersonating Yaz in my back yard I was always trying to pop one off the wall. I really do believe though, that Fenway has hurt our pitching staff over the years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I remember trying to emulate Evans or Yaz batting in neighborhood games or alone in the yard (while at the same time tossing the ball up in the air to try and hit it.)

The Wall is historic and someday it must be history.  Mini Monster is my preference.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Talking about tearing down Fenway is certainly risky business. That being said, I've gone on record here agreeing with those who think a beautiful new park with 15,000-20,000 more seats would be a great thing for the Red Sox and for Baseball. The green monsta could be refurbished a tad and added to the new home. Will it happen anytime soon? Naw.....sad to say probably not. But it SHOULD happen, as much as I know we all love Fenway. I'd model it after Camdon Yards in Baltimore, the finest park I've ever seen. 

Sections
Shortcuts