damon for HOF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

damon for HOF?

read the article in the globe.  then checked out the stats.  At the rate he is playing, he could play 2 more seasons, get his 3,000 hits, to a then likely 1800runs, 575 doubles, 115 triples, 275 hr, 1125 rbi, 425 sb....all from a guy who hits 280, 350, 440, 790 for huis career.  He led off for many years.  You'd have to consider him for sure.  Is he pass the immediate answer test...no.  He did not dominate t he OF spot for years like many HOF'ers, but he was consistently very good for alot of years.  Numbers don't lie.  He would have to be considered...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Re: damon for HOF?

No. End of story.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

if he gets 3,000 hits, he's an automatic. Start of story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Wrong. Pamiero has 3000 hits, and has no business in the HOF. Biggio will probably get in because he has 4 gold gloves and 5 silver sluggers. Damon was weak on the defensive side and has no business in the HOF because his offensive numbers aren't good enough, overall, to make up for it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Palmeiro won't get in because of his congressional lie and being caught on roids. Damon has stood clear of that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Damon won't get in because other than 3000 hits he'd be the first guy in who didn't stand out in any other category.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

He would need 2 pretty good more years after this 1 to get to 3,000 but if he gets there, the precedent says that he is a HOFamer.  The way he swinging right now, it doesn't seem far fetched that he can have 2 more 130 hit seasons after this year.  Every member of the 3,000 hit club is in except for Rose and Palmiero.  Biggio, figures to be a first ballot when eligible.

Generally I'm not in favor of guys who were above average for a really long time getting in, that is not what I think the Hall of Fame is about and that is what Damon has been.  Only a 2 time All-star, no numbers that blow you away but solid across the board and very consistent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

He's currently on the bubble.  Two rings with 2 teams helps, he has always been a good teammate and he has been a well above average leadoff hitter.  Pitches seen per at bat, while not a stat that gets people elected to the hall, is one on his resume' that is very impressive.  He positively wears pitchers out.  The offensive numbers are impressive but if he misses 3000 hits it will make it harder for him to get in. 

I agree his defense is below average, particularly his weak*ss  throwing arm.  As a person I absolutley detest him especially after finding out about some of the stuff he did to his first wife while she was in labor, he was screwing another woman!  He actually admits it too!  So the guy is a shameless philandering a**hole!  However there are far bigger *sshole's in the hall so he'd fit right in!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

If he gets to that magical 3,000-hit plateau -- hardly a given, since he's 357 short and will turn 38 in the offseason -- he'll get in. Barring a scandal, there's no doubt.

Only three players in MLB history have reached 3,000 hits but not made the Hall of Fame. One is currently banned from baseball, one was caught using steroids and lying under oath about it, and the third is not yet eligible because of the five-year wait.

But, as I say, it's a big if that he'll reach 3,000.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Yeah, I agree with william - he is on the bubble. Hard to argue with those stats.  He was an impact player - could still be. He can light up a scoreboard, that's for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Damon is a great player, if he gets the 3,000 knocks, there's no reason why he shouldn't be in the Hall. He's had success in the biggest stages, he's had steals, power, defense, and the ability to consistently hit over many years. Any denying that he should be in the Hall at the end of his career if he makes the 3k mark would be entirely based off steriod era thinking. You don't need 500 big ones to be a great player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

I'm sure he thinks he is.

I saw a new era hat with a dollar sign on it once....can he wear that in if he makes it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

HE IS GOING IN WEARING PINSTRIPES

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: damon for HOF?:
    [QUOTE]HE IS GOING IN WEARING PINSTRIPES
    Posted by 26RINGSANDCOUTING[/QUOTE]

Pssssttttt ..... I think you misspelled your name.Isn't it supposed to be "26ringsandcouNting"?You might have forgotten the N in counting.Don't worry though,I won't tell anyone you made that mistake.It'll be our secret.The other posters would make fun you for it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Hopefully not close, though he'll probably get some votes.  Since he only has 2 All-Star appearances, he absolutely need to get to 3000 hits to make the HOF.  Even so, I still don't see how he gets in.  He's never led the league in any really meaningful statistic (triples once maybe?), he never had an incredible OBP, good power hitter for a leadoff man but not really great power, average to poor defender.

Man, I really hope Damon doesn't get in the Hall.  Is this even an argument?  He's not at all elite in any way ever, he's just hung around as a leadoff hitter in an offense-heavy era (and in exceptional lineups) so he got a lot of ABs.  the 3000 hits isn't even that meaningful given that he's only a .287 career hitter

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : Pssssttttt ..... I think you misspelled your name.Isn't it supposed to be "26ringsandcouNting"?You might have forgotten the N in counting.Don't worry though,I won't tell anyone you made that mistake.It'll be our secret.The other posters would make fun you for it. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Not to mention that they have 27 rings. But I won't mention that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : Not to mention that they have 27 rings. But I won't mention that.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Yeah,I chose not to mention that.It makes me feel queasy if I say it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

right, johnnie demon can go into a team hof (not MLB's)..either the a's or devil dawgs or wankees or into the traitors red sox hall of shame

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : Yeah,I chose not to mention that.It makes me feel queasy if I say it.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Yup. Been meaning to ask you ... I know your avatar is an album cover, and I can see it in my head, but I can't place it for some reason. Who is it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

and the issue that we all know damon never did steroids while all his peers did?....it's just he got old and broke down after the new tests from a "more vigilant selig era came forth", with injuries coming back...demon goes DH to collect his hits.   That and with the teams in the 00's that should have been contracted...AAA playgrounds of KC, PITT, FLA, WASH, CINN, OAK, SEA, CLEVE, MILW...all increased the hits.  So 3000 hits doesn't mean that much anymore, especially when the roids kept one in the game longer. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

and JD may have been a sinner, and getting a haircut & becoming a spankee doesn't make one a hof'er.  He'll have to reform and do a lot of preaching to Bud to get into the HOF.  Maybe  the same will happen with pete rose

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Notin, Damon has 2643 hits presently.
    He'll likely reach 3000 in 2013, depending on health.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : Yup. Been meaning to ask you ... I know your avatar is an album cover, and I can see it in my head, but I can't place it for some reason. Who is it?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

"Court of the Crimson King", by King Crimson

Incredible album...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Notin , Damon has 2643 hits presently. He'll likely reach 3000 in 2013, depending on health.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this post.  Waht is it replying to?

It's almost as if there was a post here from me where I accidentally grabbed the wrong number off Johnny Damon's baseball-reference page than then figured out how impossible him reaching 3,000 was from that wrong starting point.

It looks like that, but without my previous post, I guess we will never know...

;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Didn't know Crimson went this far back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ0svxA1usk&feature=related