damon for HOF?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: damon for HOF?

NO. The guy who was my favorite player until he went to the Yankees?  Please. I hope they let me in first for posting on this board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Why Notin! You've been influenced by Burrito.
    He's the king of moving/deleting posts.
    The forum's true master-baiter!

Next thing you know you'll be starting threads about yourself, whining on BDC threads, and involving me with Jesus and nazi's...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Damon is a great player

No, Damon is a very good offensive player and a weak defensive player who played a lot of years in MLB.

Mantle was a great player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

DAMON HOF??   THAT IS BASEBALL BLASPHAMY!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I hope he gets in and wears a RED SOX hat!  Just one more example of HOW the HOF can lose its credibility.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: damon for HOF?:
    [QUOTE]Notin , Damon has 2643 hits presently. He'll likely reach 3000 in 2013, depending on health.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

By then he will be back with Boston and you can make endless bologna threads on his importance.... am I wrong?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

damon has as much chance of getting inducted into the baseball HOF as abba has getting inducted into the R'N'R HOF.
    NEVERMIND.

however, when the likes of goose gossage and phil rizzuto get inducted, it does lower the bar significantly, so, who knows?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

[QUOTE]3000 and he is in, there is absolutely no arguement about that. Funny thing is, looking back at the 2004 team, who would thought that Damon would be the one and probably only batter to enter the HOF. I don't think Manny is in, and I don't think Ortiz will reach 500 HRs to be considered, not to mention being one of the 100 members of the drag testing failing club list that was not released. Very interesting topic at the very least.

Posted by pochen23[/QUOTE]

Here is a picture of papi in drag.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q3DVmYfGJ_I/TcFpa4ncv3I/AAAAAAAABWg/rM8f41680eQ/s400/Big+Poppi.png

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : "Court of the Crimson King", by King Crimson Incredible album...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    Of course!! How did I not know that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

[QUOTE]damon has as much chance of getting inducted into the baseball HOF as abba has getting inducted into the R'N'R HOF. NEVERMIND. however, when the likes of goose gossage and phil rizzuto get inducted, it does lower the bar significantly, so, who knows?
    Posted by --the--yazzer[/QUOTE]

Why would it be ridiculous for ABBA to be a R & R HOF inductee?  Have you actually seen some of the lame bands that are in there and some very deserving bands who are not?  Like them or not ABBA sold a boatload of albums a great deal more than many current inductees have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : Of course!! How did I not know that?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Thanks for noticing it.I guess you got the answer from Notin who was 100% correct.It's one of my favorite albums.
       Actually Lloyd,seeing your avatar with the Clash cover was my inspiration.I saw Paul Simonon smashing his Fender and thought,wow,that album cover is almost as great as the music it protects.So I figured I'd do some of my favorites as my avatar this summer.I'll be changing it soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]Damon is a great player No, Damon is a very good offensive player and a weak defensive player who played a lot of years in MLB. Mantle was a great player.
    Posted by betterredthandead[/QUOTE]
    Anyone who is in the Hall of Fame is a great player in my book, if you debate that than you debate you're smarter than a very large assortment of HOF voters, in which case your arrogence is so thick that I will not continue to debate the point.

Therefore comparing Damon to other players in the Hall would determine if he was great or not. Jim Rice was elected due to his ability as a slugger, he hit 382 home runs, and 1,451RBI's, and had a career BA of .298. Damon hit 223 HR, 1080RBI's, and batted .287 and RBI home run hitter isn't even viewed as Damon's strength. Damon is 1 double off of 500, 350 hits off 3,000, has struck out 300 times less than Rice in his career in 1,000 more plate appearances. Damon was a great player, and will have had amazing longevity if he can stay in the game for another 2-3 years, as non-steriod era players shouldn't be able to hit the ball consistently in their late thirties early forties. Just ask Derek Jeter how his 37th birthday is treating him, a player who's performing well below what Damon is doing this year at the same age.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Maybe RSN HOF.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : Anyone who is in the Hall of Fame is a great player in my book, if you debate that than you debate you're smarter than a very large assortment of HOF voters, in which case your arrogence is so thick that I will not continue to debate the point. Therefore comparing Damon to other players in the Hall would determine if he was great or not. Jim Rice was elected due to his ability as a slugger, he hit 382 home runs, and 1,451RBI's, and had a career BA of .298. Damon hit 223 HR, 1080RBI's, and batted .287 and RBI home run hitter isn't even viewed as Damon's strength. Damon is 1 double off of 500, 350 hits off 3,000, has struck out 300 times less than Rice in his career in 1,000 more plate appearances. Damon was a great player, and will have had amazing longevity if he can stay in the game for another 2-3 years, as non-steriod era players shouldn't be able to hit the ball consistently in their late thirties early forties. Just ask Derek Jeter how his 37th birthday is treating him, a player who's performing well below what Damon is doing this year at the same age.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]

Therein lies the rub though.  You are using counting stats to define Damon.  RBI and R aren't even great stats to begin with for defining individuals, since they are heavily based on the team they play for.  And Damon has been a good leadoff hitter in good lineups for most of his career, so that inflates the rest of the counting stats.  What has Johnny Damon done that is at all elite for his era?  Rice, people have argued, was an elite slugger.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I'm using strikeouts per plate appearance, hits, and doubles, which cannot be inflated by players around you. Better yet, Damon's RBI total comes as a leadoff man, where he's going to come up at the beginning of the game with no one on, and after the bottom of the order.

Damon isn't considered elite because he played directly after the steriods era, where players like Manny cheated the players around them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

actually williams,

abba is in the r'n'r HOF. if you're gonna defend mediocrity, at least have some knowledge of the mediocrity you're defending.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]I'm using strikeouts per plate appearance, hits, and doubles, which cannot be inflated by players around you. Better yet, Damon's RBI total comes as a leadoff man, where he's going to come up at the beginning of the game with no one on, and after the bottom of the order. Damon isn't considered elite because he played directly after the steriods era, where players like Manny cheated the players around them.

And how do we know that Damon didn't cheat?  Or how do we know that the increased offensive numbers were solely due to cheating.  It could've been smaller stadiums, different balls, expansion, etc..  I'm not sure it was just steroids, considering that pitchers used steroids as well.  Also keep in mind that there are a whole bunch of players who I'm sure are still cheating; the drug testers are always one step behind the users.... so i wouldn't say it's all steroids.

It brings up an interesting point though; the standards absolutely have to be increased for the HOF.  If you want to put a decent player like Damon in, you've gotta put in like 30-40 hitters from this era.  He's with (maybe even a bit below)  a guy like Bobby Abreu, who's a very good but not great player...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Your point bringing up Abreu is valid if Damon retires today. If Johnny walks away from the game today, I don't think he gets in, his numbers are good, but not the catagory of Hall of Fame great, without the 3,000 hits. If he gets the 3,000 hits and isn't put into the Hall of Fame, I feel he's been phased out by an era that values Home Runs over all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? :    Thanks for noticing it.I guess you got the answer from Notin who was 100% correct.It's one of my favorite albums.    Actually Lloyd,seeing your avatar with the Clash cover was my inspiration.I saw Paul Simonon smashing his Fender and thought,wow,that album cover is almost as great as the music it protects.So I figured I'd do some of my favorites as my avatar this summer.I'll be changing it soon.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    Awesome! Yeah, I love the "London Calling" cover. What's really cool about it is if you look closely, the picture is actually somewhat out of focus. But that makes it look even cooler.
    King Crimson ... VERY underrated band.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[QUOTE]Your point bringing up Abreu is valid if Damon retires today. If Johnny walks away from the game today, I don't think he gets in, his numbers are good, but not the catagory of Hall of Fame great, without the 3,000 hits. If he gets the 3,000 hits and isn't put into the Hall of Fame, I feel he's been phased out by an era that values Home Runs over all.

See, I think it's stilly to put all these "milestone" guys in.  The milestones have to be moved to adjust to the era the players played in.  This era really doesn't care too much about hits, since we've realized that a hit is basically equal to a walk. Similarly, just because someone gets 500 HR doesn't mean we should let them in the HOF.  Would McGriff be a viable candidate if he had 10-15 more HR....?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : See, I think it's stilly to put all these "milestone" guys in.  The milestones have to be moved to adjust to the era the players played in.  This era really doesn't care too much about hits, since we've realized that a hit is basically equal to a walk. Similarly, just because someone gets 500 HR doesn't mean we should let them in the HOF.  Would McGriff be a viable candidate if he had 10-15 more HR....?
    Posted by billsrul[/QUOTE]
    3,000 hits isn't just a milestone, it's an incredible feat. Less than 30 players all time, have accomplished it, which does make it around equivilent to 500 home runs, which I believe is also a stat that holds HOF weight. If HOF voters don't vote in McGriff because he was 7 home runs off the Milestone, bring it up with them, not me.

Also, a hit isn't equal to a walk, a hit can score a man on second base, a hit can move a player from first to third, a hit can score multiple runs, and lots of the hits will before extra bases. 1819 of Johnny Damon's hits are singles, the rest are all extra base hits, comprised of 499 doubles, 102 triples and 223 home runs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: damon for HOF? : By then he will be back with Boston and you can make endless bologna threads on his importance.... am I wrong?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Why, you're never wrooooooong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CharlestonDude. Show CharlestonDude's posts

GPABRH2B3BHRRBI
    player 12357958417242994477622361155
    player 223409207159426434991022231080
    player 3285611008163231425831262511406
    player 4270710349158331546651373171596
    player 5268310835178233196051142341307
     BBSOSBCSAVGOBPSLGOPS
    player 19711603330870.3120.3830.4490.832
    player 295111723921010.2870.3540.4360.790
    player 396613502711050.2850.3420.4300.772
    player 41096907201970.3050.3690.4870.856
    player 5109412445041310.3060.3690.4480.817
    Not saying Damon is a HOFer, but if he were to play two more season and reach 3000 he would have a decent arguement.  Can you match up the following players with their career stats:  Paul Molitor, George Brett, Robin Yount, Johhny Damon, and Derek Jeter. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

[QUOTE]  GP AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI player 1 2357 9584 1724 2994 477 62 236 1155 player 2 2340 9207 1594 2643 499 102 223 1080 player 3 2856 11008 1632 3142 583 126 251 1406 player 4 2707 10349 1583 3154 665 137 317 1596 player 5 2683 10835 1782 3319 605 114 234 1307   BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS player 1 971 1603 330 87 0.312 0.383 0.449 0.832 player 2 951 1172 392 101 0.287 0.354 0.436 0.790 player 3 966 1350 271 105 0.285 0.342 0.430 0.772 player 4 1096 907 201 97 0.305 0.369 0.487 0.856 player 5 1094 1244 504 131 0.306 0.369 0.448 0.817 Not saying Damon is a HOFer, but if he were to play two more season and reach 3000 he would have a decent arguement.  Can you match up the following players with their career stats:  Paul Molitor, George Brett, Robin Yount, Johhny Damon, and Derek Jeter
    Posted by CharlestonDude[/QUOTE]
    DEREK JETER

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]   Not saying Damon is a HOFer, but if he were to play two more season and reach 3000 he would have a decent arguement.  Can you match up the following players with their career stats:  Paul Moliter, George Brett, Robin Yount, Johhny Damon, and Derek Jeter. 
    Posted by CharlestonDude[/QUOTE]The big difference was all those other guys spent the majority of their careers in the IF and there numbers are far more impressive as SS-3Bs than Damon's are as an OF. Whether it should or shouldn't traditionally the writers have given weight to position played and relative positional value. Jeter's numbers are staggering for a SS, Yount's huge for SS converted to 3B strong and Brett is in the smallest of HOF position classes 3B. Molitor is unique because he played just about everywhere on the diamond but C while putting up his numbers,

That said Johnny might get a lot of sway with writers. 3K hits is a magic number and won't be confused with PEDs right or wrong, whether Damon did or did not use them. And they like him too.

Sections
Shortcuts