In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LOL!!!  Is anybody actually mad at this deal?  This cripples the Yankees for years.  $150M+ for a player who relies on speed and will be in his 30's throughout the whole contract?  When will they ever learn?

[/QUOTE]

Forget the money. 

The yankees now have an excellent CF for the next 3 seasons - they will worry about years 4 - 7 later.

Meanwhile the Sox have no CF and Beltran is signing with the Royals. 

Victorino in CF is not a good option; especially if injuries are a concern

[/QUOTE]

I would think a big deal is in the works via trade.  Ben isn't dumb.  The farm is loaded with talent and he wasn't going to spend 150M+ on a center fielder in his 30s whose dominant attribute is speed.  I can see why people are worried but I would advise that people be patient.  In Ben I Trust!

[/QUOTE]

loaded with talent? like maybe one or two guys but tell me how the Sox are loaded with talent in their farm system

[/QUOTE]

Gee, I thought Bogaerts, JBJ, Ranaudo, Webster, Owens, Swihart, Vazquez, Cecchini, Betts, Barnes, Brentz, etc etc were notable prospects?  No?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As far as I know, John Henry has as much, or more , money as does Steinbrenner.  But I think it is wonderful that we have so many posters trying to save him money . I am sure he deeply appreciates it.

[/QUOTE]

Gale, would you have wanted the Sox to sign him to that contract? Crawford was a lesson learned, the hard way, no? 

[/QUOTE]

It is not just about this deal. So many posters on here are always trying to economize. Always trying to play small market G.M.  This is not a small market. It costs money to sign the top players. The Sox have the money. There will always be flops like Crawford , but that should not deter them.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think it's about economizing, as much as BIG contracts that will put the organization in a strangle hold and keeps them from moving forward. 

[/QUOTE]

Sure, but why is that we have to worry about those things , and the Yankees don't ?  That is why the Yankees are never down for long and have 27 championships despite a mediocre farm system.  They are never hesitant to spend. They are not concerned about a draft choice.  Long range plans are for the small markets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Yanks could really screw with Sox by signing Napoli tomorrow

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

Say it ain't so, Jacoby Cry

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm half joking....but that is a lineup to dream on.

Nava

Pedroia

Cano

Ortiz

Bogaerts

Victorino

Middlebrooks

Jbj

AJP.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I have to believe that the Sox have a plan to trade for a CF or get Beltran

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

F it.....let's sign Cano, put him at third and move Middlebrooks to first.

[/QUOTE]

The last thing a Front Office wants to do is panic...If this was 10 years ago, I would have felt the same, but a funny thing happened along the way...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The sox will play JBJ in center field.  They aren't signing, Beltran and I'd say there's a small chance they go after Choo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

F it.....let's sign Cano, put him at third and move Middlebrooks to first.

[/QUOTE]

The last thing a Front Office wants to do is panic...If this was 10 years ago, I would have felt the same, but a funny thing happened along the way...

[/QUOTE]

I don't want them too either, Cano will cost too much

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

[QUOTE]

Yanks could really screw with Sox by signing Napoli tomorrow

[/QUOTE]

they probably will sign Drew, not Napoli.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I like JBJ - but I don't think the sox can stand pat with their OF

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As far as I know, John Henry has as much, or more , money as does Steinbrenner.  But I think it is wonderful that we have so many posters trying to save him money . I am sure he deeply appreciates it.

Gale, would you have wanted the Sox to sign him to that contract? Crawford was a lesson learned, the hard way, no? 

It is not just about this deal. So many posters on here are always trying to economize. Always trying to play small market G.M.  This is not a small market. It costs money to sign the top players. The Sox have the money. There will always be flops like Crawford , but that should not deter them.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think it's about economizing, as much as BIG contracts that will put the organization in a strangle hold and keeps them from moving forward. 

[/QUOTE]

Sure, but why is that we have to worry about those things , and the Yankees don't ?  That is why the Yankees are never down for long and have 27 championships despite a mediocre farm system.  They are never hesitant to spend. They are not concerned about a draft choice.  Long range plans are for the small markets.

[/QUOTE]

Epstein tried to be like the NYY and it failed, gale. He admitted he lost his way. Get back to basics, draft,develop and fill in the gaps. That's the way to go. Let the Yankees, be like the Yankees.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

26 of those Championships happened during the last century and 20 of them were won over 50 years ago. The Sox have won 3 times as many Championships over the last decade under this management group as the Yankees have.  These are not your Father's Red Sox.  Have a little faith once in a while and enjoy the ride.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I like JBJ - but I don't think the sox can stand pat with their OF

[/QUOTE]

Gomes/nava platoon in left 

JBJ in center

Victorino in RF.

Outfield is set.

They do lack depth in the outfield, but I think they can go without Beltran/Choo/granderson

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I just don't think you can go with Gomes/Nava + JBJ + Victorino in the OF. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

We are not going to sign Cano. That is a pipe dream. Don't even joke like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

We are not going to sign Cano. That is a pipe dream. Don't even joke like that.

[/QUOTE]

I'll put whatever I want in my pipe and smoke it, and I'm a jester.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Bradley is going to be a good ballplayer. Don't know if it will happen in 2014. I fully expect the Sox to sign Beltran or Choo. Probably Choo.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

Nava

Pedroia

Cano

Ortiz

Bogaerts

Victorino

Middlebrooks

Jbj

AJP.

[/QUOTE]

Dream on ? Middlebrooks and JBJ are almost automatic outs and AJ has power but his OBP stinks

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Don't we already have a pretty good second baseman?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Prediction: Six or seven years from now, Jackie Bradley Jr will sign with the Yankees.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nava

Pedroia

Cano

Ortiz

Bogaerts

Victorino

Middlebrooks

Jbj

AJP.

[/QUOTE]

Dream on ? Middlebrooks and JBJ are almost automatic outs and AJ has power but his OBP stinks

[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks has raw power, JBJ will have a respectable OBP and AJmis already here.  The sum of that lineup as a whole will be one of the better offenses in all of baseball.  You're not going to have .350 OBP guy in every slot.....but hey if we really want to "dream on" let's just plug Miggy, Trout and Mauer in there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't we already have a pretty good second baseman?

[/QUOTE]

Cano has the arm for third.

Disclaimer before this gets out of hand: I don't endorse signing Cano nor do I think it's very realistic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Choo LF

Victorino RF

Pedrioa 2B

Ortiz DH

XB.  SS

Nava 1B

Middlebrooks3B

AJ  C

Jackie Bradley CF

gomes as 4 th of  

would that fit the payroll 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

[QUOTE]

Prediction: Six or seven years from now, Jackie Bradley Jr will sign with the Yankees.

[/QUOTE]

Lol

Sections
Shortcuts