Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Choo LF

Victorino RF

Pedrioa 2B

Ortiz DH

XB.  SS

Nava 1B

Middlebrooks3B

AJ  C

Jackie Bradley CF

gomes as 4 th of  

would that fit the payroll 

[/QUOTE]

If they sign Choo for 100M+ they will have a very expensive OF'er with questionable defense and cant hit LHP. Granted his numbers vs RHP is good enough to carry him, but his career 615OPS vs LHP is scary. At least Jake had more balanced splits, plays much better D, and is better on the bases. Still not worth the $$ for either of them though.

Now, If Choo came at around 4/60, Im all in.

[/QUOTE]

IMO Choo is not coming to Boston. Too expensive, and we have too many holes to fill.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to redsoxsally's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox need to sign Rajai Davis and

[/QUOTE]
    No they don't. They could find a 5th ofer in a non-roster guy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dakker. Show Dakker's posts

This is a sad day - a sadder day is April 22, 2014 when NYY visit Fenway and we have to watch Ellsbury in CF in pinstripes (probably not with away uniforms), but I am sick tonight knowing that this has gone down. Bradley is no Ellsbury and Victorino does not have the range in Fenway's CF. We have a big problem.  They lost one of the greatest players in the game today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've gotta say, I was warned about this. 

I was with my son at a Sox game late in the year and found myself sitting near a guy who works for NESN.  He and I were talking about FA's - who'd go and who wouldn't - and the topic came around to Ellsbury.  When I said I thought Ellsbury might take a hometown discount the NESN guy said that wouldn't happen.  He said that Ells is strictly after the money and that he'd go wherever the money is and not even look back. 

Looks like he was right.

[/QUOTE]

Everybody here has said that over and over and over and over and...

And yet there were still fans talking about "hometown discounts" and Ells really wanting to be in Boston and when we laughed and pointed, those people kept on talking.

How many Damon/Williams/Tiexera/Ellsbury deals have to happen before you understand the facts? Sox= basically wont pay top dollar, except for the odd exception. Yank$= always will.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like JBJ - but I don't think the sox can stand pat with their OF

[/QUOTE]

Gomes/nava platoon in left 

JBJ in center

Victorino in RF.

Outfield is set.

They do lack depth in the outfield, but I think they can go without Beltran/Choo/granderson

[/QUOTE]

Thats a third place OF, sorry.  And thats if JBJ doesnt play himself back to Pawtuckett again.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Dakker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is a sad day - a sadder day is April 22, 2014 when NYY visit Fenway and we have to watch Ellsbury in CF in pinstripes (probably not with away uniforms), but I am sick tonight knowing that this has gone down. Bradley is no Ellsbury and Victorino does not have the range in Fenway's CF. We have a big problem.  They lost one of the greatest players in the game today.

[/QUOTE] i'm sure the Sox are not going to ask JBJ to be Ellsbury, unless IVC has a 100% return to health CF for him is a non issue...ok, i'm a Yankee fan, but you're really reaching on that last part...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron offers his take on the deal:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/yankees-sign-jacoby-ellsbury-bet-on-speed-aging-well/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] i'm sure the Sox are not going to ask JBJ to be Ellsbury, unless IVC has a 100% return to health CF for him is a non issue...ok, i'm a Yankee fan, but you're really reaching on that last part...

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete.

Shouldnt the NYY be working on starting pitching and a closer? Whats the word in NY about that?

Ells should help you guys out, but at 22M per, I have no issue with him skipping town.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete.

Shouldnt the NYY be working on starting pitching and a closer? Whats the word in NY about that?

Ells should help you guys out, but at 22M per, I have no issue with him skipping town.

[/QUOTE]hey SP, well i've always wanted them to address the pitching first pretty much every offseason the past 5-6 years...granted this offseason the FA mound market isn't anything to write home about, i thought they would still do something(soon i hope) as for Ells, yeah the money is a bit crazy, but the years bother me a tad more..i'm hoping he can stay reasonably healthy and be a good player...maybe this is a springboard to something pitching-wise..that and settling with Cano(one way or the other) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Way too much. Yankees don't seem to learn their lesson. Fans should also realize when it comes to rivalries, players don't care, the greenback rules, perhaps with the exception of Pedroia and Varitek. Even MO and Pettite considered an offer from RS, although the rivalry was a factor in them eventually turning it down. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I was with my son at a Sox game late in the year and found myself sitting near a guy who works for NESN.  He and I were talking about FA's - who'd go and who wouldn't - and the topic came around to Ellsbury.  When I said I thought Ellsbury might take a hometown discount the NESN guy said that wouldn't happen.  He said that Ells is strictly after the money and that he'd go wherever the money is and not even look back. 

Looks like he was right.

[/QUOTE]

Every expert and non expert said that.  Everybody on these boards said it.

[/QUOTE]

But unlike you and me, this guy knew Ellsbury a bit personally.  :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Looks like he was right.

[/QUOTE]

Everybody here has said that over and over and over and over and...

And yet there were still fans talking about "hometown discounts" and Ells really wanting to be in Boston and when we laughed and pointed, those people kept on talking.

How many Damon/Williams/Tiexera/Ellsbury deals have to happen before you understand the facts? Sox= basically wont pay top dollar, except for the odd exception. Yank$= always will.

[/QUOTE]
    Congratulations.  That makes you first in the "I told you so" line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Figures. Raise your hand if you DIDNT see this coming. Guy's a bum, and as far as Im concerned is dead to me as a baseball player. He sold out for MONEY. Curt Schilling said tonight he could never have played for the Yankees after playing in Boston. I henceforth have no use for Jacoby Ellsbury, and if I was at Fenway the first game he showed up, I would boo him mercilessly. You can hit me with the "...he has every right to....", "....I wish him the best..." crap all you want. Save it. Hes a bum, and all I wish for him now is a .200 batting average.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Figures. Raise your hand if you DIDNT see this coming. Guy's a bum, and as far as Im concerned is dead to me as a baseball player. He sold out for MONEY. Curt Schilling said tonight he could never have played for the Yankees after playing in Boston. I henceforth have no use for Jacoby Ellsbury, and if I was at Fenway the first game he showed up, I would boo him mercilessly. You can hit me with the "...he has every right to....", "....I wish him the best..." crap all you want. Save it. Hes a bum, and all I wish for him now is a .200 batting average.

[/QUOTE]

However, Schilling wanted to go to the NYY beforehand. On another note, if RS gave him that contract, can you just imagine what Softy would have said ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

However, Schilling wanted to go to the NYY beforehand. On another note, if RS gave him that contract, can you just imagine what Softy would have said ?

[/QUOTE]

Beforehand yes, even he said that. But the point is, AFTER playing in Boston there was no way. Therein lies the difference. Schilling, like him or not, had integrity that went beyond money alone. Otherwise, I agree that 7/153 is too much for him. I wouldnt want the Sox to pay him that much. But we need to get to work replacing the offense we just lost, and Im not sure guys like Beltran are the answer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox matched , or even came close to the Yankee's offer, I would agree with you. But if the Sox offered 100 mil, and the Yankees ( as it appears ) offered 153 mil , how in the world do you stay in Boston ?  Only a complete fool would leave 53 million dollars on the table. We don't know yet whether this deal will work out best for the Sox or for the Yankees , but it certainly works for Ellsbury.  The reality is, these guys play the game for money. Taking a contract worth 53 million more is hardly selling out. As I said, one would have to be crazy to turn that down. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to tbs2007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope that traitor is happy, the money won't be all that satisfying when the season is over in a few months year after year!

At least the Redsox got his best years.

[/QUOTE]

"Traitor?"  Seriously?   I'm a die hard, life long Sox fan!  Live, breathe, sleep, dream, eat, etc. all things Red Sox.......  but.....  If somebody offered me 153 MILLION to root for the Yankees for 6 years, I might just hold my nose, put on a brave face, & go out & fake it hard for 6 LONG years to steal that paycheck.  Would I seriously consider taking 120MILLION to stay a Sox fan instead.  I would likely take that deal!!!!!!  Haven't heard.....   Have the Sox even come close to that?  As far as I know, the Sox never went above the minimum qualifying offer?  I'm sure they went higher than that, but not by much as far as we know. 

Ya can't blame Ells!  If another employer thought I was worth double what I'm making right now, I'd walk.....  Sorry!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Oh!   & p.s.   Yes.  The money would be that "satisfying!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox matched , or even came close to the Yankee's offer, I would agree with you. But if the Sox offered 100 mil, and the Yankees ( as it appears ) offered 153 mil , how in the world do you stay in Boston ?  Only a complete fool would leave 53 million dollars on the table. We don't know yet whether this deal will work out best for the Sox or for the Yankees , but it certainly works for Ellsbury.  The reality is, these guys play the game for money. Taking a contract worth 53 million more is hardly selling out. As I said, one would have to be crazy to turn that down. 

[/QUOTE]

After a certain amount of money, your lifestyle really doesn't change much with any additional money. Your happiness in where you are and what you're doing comes more into play. Ellsbury IMO was never comfortable here from the time it was said that Lowry was his only real friend. He was happy to leave, and he has no feelings about going to the Yankees after playing for Boston. I hope he's happy with those old, and increasingly aging primadonnas.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

yanks have a lot of holes to fill but as far as starters go

I  think the yanks and other GM's as well as the big FA arms

are all waiting for the tanaka biding to get done

also still waiting on kuroda and then if they fail there they go with a garza or a jimenez

yanks also need to wait for arod and cano news B4 they can address the BP and other holes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Follow Jon HeymanVerified account@JonHeymanCBS

ellsbury is to receive a no-trade clause in the $153M deal. #yankees