1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Figures. Raise your hand if you DIDNT see this coming. Guy's a bum, and as far as Im concerned is dead to me as a baseball player. He sold out for MONEY. Curt Schilling said tonight he could never have played for the Yankees after playing in Boston. I henceforth have no use for Jacoby Ellsbury, and if I was at Fenway the first game he showed up, I would boo him mercilessly. You can hit me with the "...he has every right to....", "....I wish him the best..." crap all you want. Save it. Hes a bum, and all I wish for him now is a .200 batting average.

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox matched , or even came close to the Yankee's offer, I would agree with you. But if the Sox offered 100 mil, and the Yankees ( as it appears ) offered 153 mil , how in the world do you stay in Boston ?  Only a complete fool would leave 53 million dollars on the table. We don't know yet whether this deal will work out best for the Sox or for the Yankees , but it certainly works for Ellsbury.  The reality is, these guys play the game for money. Taking a contract worth 53 million more is hardly selling out. As I said, one would have to be crazy to turn that down. 

[/QUOTE]

After a certain amount of money, your lifestyle really doesn't change much with any additional money. Your happiness in where you are and what you're doing comes more into play. Ellsbury IMO was never comfortable here from the time it was said that Lowry was his only real friend. He was happy to leave, and he has no feelings about going to the Yankees after playing for Boston. I hope he's happy with those old, and increasingly aging primadonnas.

[/QUOTE]

That's not how it works. 53 million is an enormous amount of money. It sets up your children , grandchildren and beyond for life. These guys are paid, professional athletes. It does not matter that much if you work in Boston or in New York. They are just doing a job. A very lucrative job. We have heard time and again that baseball is a business. Still, we forget that it is. It is only the fans who get emotionally involved in it. The owners, the players and the agents know the truth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

I don't wish JE anything, good or bad.  He's getting paid an obscene amount of money to play a kid's game.    

I care about the Sox winning next year, whether they do it with 9 All-Stars in the lineup or 7 AAA guys in it.  By this time we should all know players are mercenaries who switch uniforms like diapers.  It's business, not "brotherly love."  

Heck, another reason to hope the NYY one up the Sox on getting "Crawford-ed!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Figures. Raise your hand if you DIDNT see this coming. Guy's a bum, and as far as Im concerned is dead to me as a baseball player. He sold out for MONEY. Curt Schilling said tonight he could never have played for the Yankees after playing in Boston. I henceforth have no use for Jacoby Ellsbury, and if I was at Fenway the first game he showed up, I would boo him mercilessly. You can hit me with the "...he has every right to....", "....I wish him the best..." crap all you want. Save it. Hes a bum, and all I wish for him now is a .200 batting average.

[/QUOTE]

If the Sox matched , or even came close to the Yankee's offer, I would agree with you. But if the Sox offered 100 mil, and the Yankees ( as it appears ) offered 153 mil , how in the world do you stay in Boston ?  Only a complete fool would leave 53 million dollars on the table. We don't know yet whether this deal will work out best for the Sox or for the Yankees , but it certainly works for Ellsbury.  The reality is, these guys play the game for money. Taking a contract worth 53 million more is hardly selling out. As I said, one would have to be crazy to turn that down. 

[/QUOTE]

After a certain amount of money, your lifestyle really doesn't change much with any additional money. Your happiness in where you are and what you're doing comes more into play. Ellsbury IMO was never comfortable here from the time it was said that Lowry was his only real friend. He was happy to leave, and he has no feelings about going to the Yankees after playing for Boston. I hope he's happy with those old, and increasingly aging primadonnas.

[/QUOTE]

That's not how it works. 53 million is an enormous amount of money. It sets up your children , grandchildren and beyond for life. These guys are paid, professional athletes. It does not matter that much if you work in Boston or in New York. They are just doing a job. A very lucrative job. We have heard time and again that baseball is a business. Still, we forget that it is. It is only the fans who get emotionally involved in it. The owners, the players and the agents know the truth.

[/QUOTE]

Bum.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Gardner?

[/QUOTE] likely want to keep Gardner in LF.....i think Ellsbury can do well here...knows the rivalry, knows the market(attention wise)...the heat from media isn't far different than in Beantown...staying in the division helps..... 

[/QUOTE]

Hope he is what you expect Jete....not sold on 7/150 for him

[/QUOTE] i hear you, the years and money are a bit much, hoping he excels during the front part of his deal..the Sox fan reaction is about what i expected, not saying the  merit isn't there...health will be the key..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

This is the sign of a very desperate Yankee team. A team that is almost willing to do anything to fill those very expensive box seats around home plate that sit empty every game. IMO Cashman will not be around to see the end of this contract. Yanks are now doing what RS did a few yrs back, remember when Theo was pressured by owners to do somethingh big because TV ratings were dropping and we all know how that turned out. PITCHING WINS! and unless the Yanks can pry a David Price from Rays [which will never happen] the Yanks won't even make playoffs w/ the pitching staff as it currently sits. Don't see enough pitching on FA mkt to help Yanks get over that hump and they sure as heck don't have the prospects needed to acquire a couple of rotation arms + someone for the backend of the bullpen. While Yanks might have enough hitting to get a WC, RS will win another WS long before Yanks do!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Ellsbury leaving was inevitable.  We all knew it.  As soon as I read the contract amount and that the  Yanks paid him I thought to myself that I am glad it's not the Sox that are on the hook for that deal.   Good luck Ells, you will be replaced and the Sox will adjust.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doesn't take away from the fact that Jacoby is a d00sh, though. 

2005: Johnny Damon: "I want to stay in Boston."  --> signs with Yanks

2013: Jacoby Ellsbury: "I want to stay in Boston." --> signs with Yanks

Good riddance, sell out.

[/QUOTE] because he didn't doesn't mean he didn't want to..

[/QUOTE]

Correct.  the difference with Damon was his statement of "i will never play for the NYY".  ells was smart enough never to say that.  he did what all Bora$ clients do - went with who offered the most dollars.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

It's childish to criticise Ellbury over this.  He's from Oregon and just happened to be drafted by Boston....he'd have played for whatever team drafted him.  He's been offered 50% more money by the Yankees.  Most importantly, he was a key part of 2 championship teams and over the years delivered $109m dollars of (Fangraphs) value for only $30m in salary...and leaves us with a draft pick.

How much more can you expect?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HailToTheKing. Show HailToTheKing's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's childish to criticise Ellbury over this.  He's from Oregon and just happened to be drafted by Boston....he'd have played for whatever team drafted him.  He's been offered 50% more money by the Yankees.  Most importantly, he was a key part of 2 championship teams and over the years delivered $109m dollars of (Fangraphs) value for only $30m in salary...and leaves us with a draft pick.

[/QUOTE]

Well put.  The guy did excellent while here and was a HUGE part of two championships.  He would be INSANE to not accept that offer!!  There is NO WAY anybody else pays him anywhere near that.  I and pretty much everybody on the planet would have done the same exact thing.  The Yankees offer him a chance to win and be competitive every season and they paid him huge cash.  It's a no brainer if you're JE.

I wish we could have kept him...but not for that cash.  I think now the Sox need to find a legitimate replacement though.  JBJ has shown absolutley nothing and I highly doubt that Ben just hands the reigns over to him based on his performance this season with the big boy club.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 8h

Based on blog comments, emails and (most) Twitter posts, #RedSox fans OK with Ellsbury leaving. Didn't see him worth that much.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

10h

In the end, @JackieBradleyJr will give the #RedSox 75 percent of Ellsbury's production at 2 percent of the price. Literally, 2 percent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no way to spin this as "no big deal"

It's a big deal.  Regardlesss of the money - the sox now have a huge hole in OF and the Yankees now have a great CF.

Remember when sox tried to sign Bernie williams?  It never happens that way.  It's a one way street from Boston to NYY

[/QUOTE]

Well said, 100 percent correct. Luchinno and Ben jerked him around and the Red Sox have made a lot of money this year. This team over achieved this year.

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious--they offered him the same money as Pedroia--you are telling me you would have paid him $153 M --seriously--and they jerked him around --come back down to earth and read what the rest of Red Sox Nation is saying---you are on an island that is floating out to sea.

[/QUOTE]

He is a better player than Pedroia, smell the coffee and was worth a lot more. Now we have a hole in Centerfield, no leadoff hitter. This is not good and it weakened us tremendously but we did get AJ. Great move Ben. 

[/QUOTE]

really? are you going to whine that we didnt spen 22M per for 7years on a speed guy?

[/QUOTE]

Of course.

AL34 and Shumpeters Ghost haven't been able to whine about the Sox for months.

This is their big chance and they're not going to miss it.

If the Sox had signed Ellsbury to this deal, they'd be saying Cherrington got screwed by Boras.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

There is no way to spin this as "no big deal"

It's a big deal.  Regardlesss of the money - the sox now have a huge hole in OF and the Yankees now have a great CF.

Remember when sox tried to sign Bernie williams?  It never happens that way.  It's a one way street from Boston to NYY

[/QUOTE]

Well said, 100 percent correct. Luchinno and Ben jerked him around and the Red Sox have made a lot of money this year. This team over achieved this year.

[/QUOTE]

Are you serious--they offered him the same money as Pedroia--you are telling me you would have paid him $153 M --seriously--and they jerked him around --come back down to earth and read what the rest of Red Sox Nation is saying---you are on an island that is floating out to sea.

[/QUOTE]

He is a better player than Pedroia, smell the coffee and was worth a lot more. Now we have a hole in Centerfield, no leadoff hitter. This is not good and it weakened us tremendously but we did get AJ. Great move Ben. 

[/QUOTE]

really? are you going to whine that we didnt spen 22M per for 7years on a speed guy?

[/QUOTE]

Of course.

AL34 and Shumpeters Ghost haven't been able to whine about the Sox for months.

This is their big chance and they're not going to miss it.

If the Sox had signed Ellsbury to this deal, they'd be saying Cherrington got screwed by Boras.

[/QUOTE]

Very true. havent seen them in a while. Probably because we were winning.

Doesnt say much for their supposed fandom.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry for what? Grossly overpaying a speed guy AND giving him a NTC so you are stuck with a 37yo guy with a 280 BA 350OBP 9HR and 20SB? Yeah, thats a bummer for us huh....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to HailToTheKing's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well put.  The guy did excellent while here and was a HUGE part of two championships.  He would be INSANE to not accept that offer!!  There is NO WAY anybody else pays him anywhere near that.  I and pretty much everybody on the planet would have done the same exact thing.  The Yankees offer him a chance to win and be competitive every season and they paid him huge cash.  It's a no brainer if you're JE.

I wish we could have kept him...but not for that cash.  I think now the Sox need to find a legitimate replacement though.  JBJ has shown absolutley nothing and I highly doubt that Ben just hands the reigns over to him based on his performance this season with the big boy club.

[/QUOTE]

You and Sonics are right.

I would've loved to see Ellbury in CF next year and beyond, but not at 22 mil per.

I'm glad the Yankees are waiting to fix their rotation.

If they don't add some good pitching, they can resign Cano and slug their way to the playoffs.

But, that'll be all they get, a playoff spot.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I'm not blaming Jacoby or the Yanks, time to move on and make good Decisions Ben. Going to miss Ells a lot, one of my all-time favorites. Won 2 WS, enjoyed his stay, and got to watch him in Double AA, knew he was going to be special.
    But, been watching Baseball for over 50 years, used to it.
    Still think long term contracts, is wrong way to build teams, Draft, Scouting, Player Evaluation and Development is the way to go. Old School.
    Look at the Cards, that team to me is more scary than the Yanks. Most are through the Farm for the long term. They are close to having the next dynasty in baseball.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I like JBJ - but I don't think the sox can stand pat with their OF

[/QUOTE]

Gomes/nava platoon in left 

JBJ in center

Victorino in RF.

Outfield is set.

They do lack depth in the outfield, but I think they can go without Beltran/Choo/granderson

[/QUOTE]

Thats a third place OF, sorry.  And thats if JBJ doesnt play himself back to Pawtuckett again.

[/QUOTE]

That's 2/3 of a WORLD SERIES outfield.  When you have your #2 prospect ready to take over and your free agent signing 22 million dollar contracts that have has a high chance of being regretable you take that money and plug up a hole you have ZERO depth in....like first base.  That is smart management.

JBJ was rushed to the majors, he started his major league career after not even having half a seasons worth of at bats above SINGLE A.  Even triple A was arguably a big jump for him this year and he did pretty good.  His defense is already ready and you can expect him to continue to make adjustments at the plate and get better on.

The Sox will be fine, I remember everyone freaking out last year with the moves we made...but I think Ben C knows exactly what he is doing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not mad at Jacoby, you can't blame a guy for wanting to get paid.  Anyone would do the same thing in his position.  If the Sox were a LOT more competitive and were apart by a few million I would feel much more betrayed....that was more the case with Damon and less with Ellsbury. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I like JBJ - but I don't think the sox can stand pat with their OF

[/QUOTE]

Gomes/nava platoon in left 

JBJ in center

Victorino in RF.

Outfield is set.

They do lack depth in the outfield, but I think they can go without Beltran/Choo/granderson

[/QUOTE]

Thats a third place OF, sorry.  And thats if JBJ doesnt play himself back to Pawtuckett again.

[/QUOTE]

That's 2/3 of a WORLD SERIES outfield.  When you have your #2 prospect ready to take over and your free agent signing 22 million dollar contracts that have has a high chance of being regretable you take that money and plug up a hole you have ZERO depth in....like first base.  That is smart management.

JBJ was rushed to the majors, he started his major league career after not even having half a seasons worth of at bats above SINGLE A.  Even triple A was arguably a big jump for him this year and he did pretty good.  His defense is already ready and you can expect him to continue to make adjustments at the plate and get better on.

The Sox will be fine, I remember everyone freaking out last year with the moves we made...but I think Ben C knows exactly what he is doing. 

[/QUOTE]

not building a team of high priced stars, but the right team. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Doesn't take away from the fact that Jacoby is a d00sh, though. 

2005: Johnny Damon: "I want to stay in Boston."  --> signs with Yanks

2013: Jacoby Ellsbury: "I want to stay in Boston." --> signs with Yanks

Good riddance, sell out.

[/QUOTE] because he didn't doesn't mean he didn't want to..

[/QUOTE]

Correct.  the difference with Damon was his statement of "i will never play for the NYY".  ells was smart enough never to say that.  he did what all Bora$ clients do - went with who offered the most dollars.....

[/QUOTE] morning Slash..on that..i agree

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly why the Red Sox were smart in not trying to match it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Nothing too shocking here...raise your hand if you didn't think Ellsbury wouldn't end up with the highest bidder, or would give Boston some kind of hometown discount.

Can't really blame him for taking the extra $53 million...but we as fans don't have to like it, either. If he gets booed, a la Damon, I won't feel bad for him. He made that choice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

so Yankees fans - was it Hal or was it Cashman?

are you happy with the deal?

i am absolutely THRILLED for you.

QUESTION - $153MM > $12MM.  DOES JAKE GET TO WEAR #2?????????!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  jeter gonna play baby again like he did in 2004 not moving to 3b.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't we already have a pretty good second baseman?

[/QUOTE]

Cano has the arm for third.

Disclaimer before this gets out of hand: I don't endorse signing Cano nor do I think it's very realistic.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. Hell, if we were going to  spend ridiculous money, I'd much rather have spent it on Ellsbury.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

10h

In the end, @JackieBradleyJr will give the #RedSox 75 percent of Ellsbury's production at 2 percent of the price. Literally, 2 percent.

What are the chances that Jackie Bradley Jr. produces 12.2 WAR* over the next three seasons?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs. Jacoby Ellsbury produced 16.3 WAR over the past three seasons while Bradley's WAR sits at a negative 0.2 through 37 MLB games. Steamer projects a 2014 WAR of 2.3 in 148 games for Bradley: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=12984&position=OF