Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Damon part II: Ellsbury close to a deal with the Yankees

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

10h

In the end, @JackieBradleyJr will give the #RedSox 75 percent of Ellsbury's production at 2 percent of the price. Literally, 2 percent.

What are the chances that Jackie Bradley Jr. produces 12.2 WAR* over the next three seasons?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs. Jacoby Ellsbury produced 16.3 WAR over the past three seasons while Bradley's WAR sits at a negative 0.2 through 37 MLB games. Steamer projects a 2014 WAR of 2.3 in 148 games for Bradley: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=12984&position=OF

I give up...what are they?

What kind of numbers would he have to put up?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

10h

In the end, @JackieBradleyJr will give the #RedSox 75 percent of Ellsbury's production at 2 percent of the price. Literally, 2 percent.

What are the chances that Jackie Bradley Jr. produces 12.2 WAR* over the next three seasons?

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs. Jacoby Ellsbury produced 16.3 WAR over the past three seasons while Bradley's WAR sits at a negative 0.2 through 37 MLB games. Steamer projects a 2014 WAR of 2.3 in 148 games for Bradley: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=12984&position=OF

I give up...what are they?

What kind of numbers would he have to put up?

Here is a link to WAR totals for centerfielders over the past three seasons (delete the space between "p" and "os" because this forum won't permit those letters to appear consecutively):

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p os=cf&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2013&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/yankees-sign-jacoby-ellsbury-bet-on-speed-aging-well/

Heres an interesting read. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

maybe Ells won't get hurt so much there........there seems to be something in the water.. Ask Andy, Arod, and Roger....... :  )

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Figures. Raise your hand if you DIDNT see this coming. Guy's a bum, and as far as Im concerned is dead to me as a baseball player. He sold out for MONEY. Curt Schilling said tonight he could never have played for the Yankees after playing in Boston. I henceforth have no use for Jacoby Ellsbury, and if I was at Fenway the first game he showed up, I would boo him mercilessly. You can hit me with the "...he has every right to....", "....I wish him the best..." crap all you want. Save it. Hes a bum, and all I wish for him now is a .200 batting average.

If the Sox matched , or even came close to the Yankee's offer, I would agree with you. But if the Sox offered 100 mil, and the Yankees ( as it appears ) offered 153 mil , how in the world do you stay in Boston ?  Only a complete fool would leave 53 million dollars on the table. We don't know yet whether this deal will work out best for the Sox or for the Yankees , but it certainly works for Ellsbury.  The reality is, these guys play the game for money. Taking a contract worth 53 million more is hardly selling out. As I said, one would have to be crazy to turn that down. 

After a certain amount of money, your lifestyle really doesn't change much with any additional money. Your happiness in where you are and what you're doing comes more into play. Ellsbury IMO was never comfortable here from the time it was said that Lowry was his only real friend. He was happy to leave, and he has no feelings about going to the Yankees after playing for Boston. I hope he's happy with those old, and increasingly aging primadonnas.

That's not how it works. 53 million is an enormous amount of money. It sets up your children , grandchildren and beyond for life. These guys are paid, professional athletes. It does not matter that much if you work in Boston or in New York. They are just doing a job. A very lucrative job. We have heard time and again that baseball is a business. Still, we forget that it is. It is only the fans who get emotionally involved in it. The owners, the players and the agents know the truth.

Bum.

Him or me ?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

It's a bad contract, but if Ellsbury is healthy he should put up good numbers at Yankee stadium.  The thing is if he gets injured and misses a season in any of the first three years of that deal then he's taking out one of his prime production seasons that would help make that contract jusitfiable to NY.

I highly doubt Ellsbury becomes a consistant 30 HR threat over night in his 30's and Speed tends to not age well.

If you look at the last link I posted we see that there have been some players that would justify that contract, and the list is very very thin and headlined by Ricky Henderson.  Jacoby Ellsbury is not Ricky Henderson. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

It's a bad contract, but if Ellsbury is healthy he should put up good numbers at Yankee stadium.  The thing is if he gets injured and misses a season in any of the first three years of that deal then he's taking out one of his prime production seasons that would help make that contract jusitfiable to NY.

I highly doubt Ellsbury becomes a consistant 30 HR threat over night in his 30's and Speed tends to not age well.

If you look at the last link I posted we see that there have been some players that would justify that contract, and the list is very very thin and headlined by Ricky Henderson.  Jacoby Ellsbury is not Ricky Henderson. 

They could pitch Ellsbury away at Yankee Stadium, so he may end up with no more HRs, but more singles to the spacious LF and L-CF in NY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN 1h

A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

Retweeted by Pete Abraham

my comment: Boras usually plays teams against one another and doesn't usually sign his big FA until January. He pulled the trigger in a hurry, on this one. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if JE did steroids like Rickey did, he would very much be identical to Rickey.

yes, there is no physical proof other than Canseco said Rickey did them.  and thus far, everything Canseco wrote in the book or said in interviews has turned out to be true.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

A rival executive on the Ellsbury signing: "If Scott signs a big free agent this early [in the offseason), it means it's bad for the team."

my comment: Boras usually plays teams against one another and doesn't usually sign his big FA until January. He pulled the trigger in a hurry, on this one. 

because he can't believe the Yanks offered that much........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Pressure on Ellsbury to have to live up to the contract.......we'll see

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

because he can't believe the Yanks offered that much........

Yup. Hence the tweet  it's bad for the team. He pulled one over on them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe

10h

What are the chances? Not good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Pressure on Ellsbury to have to live up to the contract.......we'll see

Lets hope he does to them what Crawford did to us.

Sections
Shortcuts