Damon

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdrummer. Show soxdrummer's posts

Damon

What about Damon in right field? Platoon possibly? What would he cost? Would the fans welcome him back? He can still hit and has speed. I'd be down for it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

Re: Damon

damon doesn't want to platoon.  he is 277 hits away from 3000.  two more seasons and he can retire.  he wants a full time shot.  looks like baltimore is showing interest as a dh.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Damon:
    damon doesn't want to platoon.  he is 277 hits away from 3000.  two more seasons and he can retire.  he wants a full time shot.  looks like baltimore is showing interest as a dh.
    Posted by eddiewilson

Damon has less of an arm than any of the lollipops we have in the OF as is.  No thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Haven't we tried that already?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4413657. Show user_4413657's posts

He wouldn't be a bad option.  His arm strength for right field being the only question mark.  He hits capably enough against both right and left handed pitching so having him in the lineup won't necessarily unbalance the attack as so many seem to be concerned with.  Still quick enough for anywhere in the outfield if needed, he can DH, first base in a pinch, and pinch in a pinch.  Might not be enough AB's to put a big enough dent in his quest to 3000 hits but that's going to take at least two seasons to get to anyway and the way these guys get paid, what's a third season?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Damon":
    What about Damon in right field? Platoon possibly? What would he cost? Would the fans welcome him back? He can still hit and has speed. I'd be down for it. Posted by soxdrummer
    Putting Damon in right is the defensive equivalent of putting Ortiz at SS...and I'm not sure that Sweeney won't be better than him offensively playing home at Fenway instead of Oakland...Sweeney won't cost 10 games defensively either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Question:
    Have you looked at outfield arms? Please, for a moment, check to see how many outfieldes that play everyday--left, center or right, AL/NL,  have more than 5 outfield assists in a whole season--Moon I can see you working on this...After you get past Francoeur and Melky---how many are there?

16 HR, 73 RBI, .260, 19 stolen bases---played on the WC team in 2011---stays in great shape. Needs a few hits to get to 3,000--37 years old--2 year contract should get him here. Contract loaded with incentives.

Damon could be our guy and Boston could be where he would like to be.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Question: Have you looked at outfield arms? Please, for a moment, check to see how many outfieldes that play everyday--left, center or right, AL/NL,  have more than 5 outfield assists in a whole season--Moon I can see you working on this...After you get past Francoeur and Melky---how many are there? 16 HR, 73 RBI, .260, 19 stolen bases---played on the WC team in 2011---stays in great shape. Needs a few hits to get to 3,000--37 years old--2 year contract should get him here. Contract loaded with incentives. Damon could be our guy and Boston could be where he would like to be.
    Posted by MadMc44

MadMc, a good outfield arm is not just about assists.  In fact, as you yourself put forth, that is not really integral to the position.  Shoot, Manny Ramirez was always amongst the league leaders in OF assists, and he had a candy arm.  Of course he was playing LF at Fenway, so my 16 month old daughter could probably get 1 or 2 throw outs a year.  But, that leads us to the real issue of the value of a good OF arm.  RF in Fenway, unlike LF, is a scary region fraught with strange gaps and dastardly traps.  If a ball gets away from a guy there, or is simply hit in the right gap/down the line, things can get ugly quick.  It is absolutely essential for a Rfer in Fenway to have a good arm.  Not to throw guys out per se, but to stop baserunners from feeling the comfort to just keep on going around the bases Bugs Bunny style.  RF cannon is about run prevention, not put outs.  Johnny Damon in RF is a disaster waiting to happen.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Not a good fit and he's forever a yankee now anyways

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Damon":
    Question: Have you looked at outfield arms? Please, for a moment, check to see how many outfieldes that play everyday--left, center or right, AL/NL,  have more than 5 outfield assists in a whole season--Moon I can see you working on this...After you get past Francoeur and Melky---how many are there? 16 HR, 73 RBI, .260, 19 stolen bases---played on the WC team in 2011---stays in great shape. Needs a few hits to get to 3,000--37 years old--2 year contract should get him here. Contract loaded with incentives. Damon could be our guy and Boston could be where he would like to be. Posted by MadMc44
    It's not about the number of "outfielder assists." I'm not going to explain the game of baseball to you, but seriously, the odds of MATT Damon playing right field are exactly the same as Johnny's...stick to your forte - absurd trade proposals. Not trying to be mean, creativity is a good thing...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

I think that ship has sailed.  Hope he gets 3000 but not as a RS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

teams would be running first to third all day on damon

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Space I don't disagree with your analysis however I have seen many players use their "canon"  with poor acuracy. There are not many Dewey Evan's playing in the majors today. Cut-offs would generally be needed when there is a gap shot to the bullpen wall or a wall-scrapper in RF at Fenway no matter who plays there.

Too bad --Damon has played on playoff teams 8 of the last 10 years--
    He played on three postseason teams in Boston--'03, '04 and '05.
    I'm partial toward winners...
    Andrew we have short memories.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Haven't we tried that already?  
    Posted by summerof67
    LOL....player's reaction to the in-flight movie.. C'mon!!the Bourne Supremecy AGAIN?????Tongue out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Plus, he'd be a terrible fit as a "platoon" option. The Sox have Sweeney to start and will be eyeing Kalish later in the season as a reinforcement or option in case Sweeney falters. If the Sox signed Damon, they'd STILL have to find a right-handed RF bat, and they would essentially make Sweeney and Kalish worthless for this season.

Not the best way to use resources.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Space I don't disagree with your analysis however I have seen many players use their "canon"  with poor acuracy. There are not many Dewey Evan's playing in the majors today. Cut-offs would generally be needed when there is a gap shot to the bullpen wall or a wall-scrapper in RF at Fenway no matter who plays there. Too bad --Damon has played on playoff teams 8 of the last 10 years-- He played on three postseason teams in Boston--'03, '04 and '05. I'm partial toward winners... Andrew we have short memories.
    Posted by MadMc44

Of course there are not many Dewey's MadMc.  He was the best.  But its not either or.  Of course its not just about having a strong arm.  It is about accuracy too. It doesn't take Dewey to get it done.  Could be a Drew-type.  But, can't be of the Damon/Crisp/Crawford type (all excellent fielders in other ways) Look, I love Johnny Damon, and while I like to joke around about Judas and all, I have no issue with a winner like Johnny Damon.  But, I do know he would be a disaster in RF.  Seriously, every single to right with a guy on 1st would have that guy on third, and any single with a guy on second not hit directly to where Damon was positioned would notch a run.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

Rick ankiel is my choice for a platoon

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

In Response to Re: Damon : LOL....player's reaction to the in-flight movie.. C'mon!!the Bourne Supremecy AGAIN?????
    Posted by jete02fan

LOL, jete. My sentiments exactly!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

No way this happens.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Question: Have you looked at outfield arms? Please, for a moment, check to see how many outfieldes that play everyday--left, center or right, AL/NL,  have more than 5 outfield assists in a whole season--Moon I can see you working on this...After you get past Francoeur and Melky---how many are there? 16 HR, 73 RBI, .260, 19 stolen bases---played on the WC team in 2011---stays in great shape. Needs a few hits to get to 3,000--37 years old--2 year contract should get him here. Contract loaded with incentives. Damon could be our guy and Boston could be where he would like to be.
    Posted by MadMc44

Good throwing outfielder's assist totals are diminished by the reluctance of baserunners / base coaches to test their arms (see Evans, Dwight) and vice versa.  Guys like Ellis Valentine and Dave Parker will have huge assist totals early in their career then either they suddenly lose their throwing ability or have fewer opportunities to earn assists. 

It's a big benefit to their teams that doesn't show up in their stats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Sonics while that is true--the reputation keeps many from running therefore keeps the totals down--the numbers are still down. The chance of a fielder throwing out a runner going 1 to 3 b or second to home is more about the runners speed and whether the fielder is positioned perfectly to get the perfect hop and the proper positioning when the ball gets to him.

Johnny Damon is not going to be a threat, in any case, to throw out a runner but my stand on the issue is that there's a lot that goes into the perfect throw to nail someone at third or home. Dewey is not walking through that clubhouse door.

Sections
Shortcuts