Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916;it’s 95 years and counting. What do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRGL27Rings. Show FRGL27Rings's posts

Dan Shaughnessy: "...

by Dan Shaughnessy/Boston Globe
    "So now it turns out that maybe the 1918 World Series was fixed. I guess this means the Red
    Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916. The Chicago History Museum just released a portion of the 1920 court deposition of Black Sox hurler Eddie Cicotte and Cicotte said he and his White Sox teammates talked about one or more Cubs players who were offered $10,000 to throw the 1918 World Series, won by the Red Sox in six games. A purist or a wise guy could take this information and taunt Red Sox fans, claiming the BoSox haven’t won a legit World Series in 95 years. Sure, the Sox won in 2004 and 2007, but those teams were led by 3-4 hitters David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, both of whom turned up on the list of players who were using performance enhancers in 2003. Manny went on to fail drug tests in 2009 and 2011. So, if ’04 and ’07 amount to “our cheaters were better than your cheaters,’’ and 1918 was in the bag, it’s 95 years and counting."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in fi...

Personally,I really don't care what CHB thinks.He's a horrible sportswriter and I never read his crap.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in fi...

Frank does that also include the 2009 Yanks who had A-Roid and Pettite? And what about 1999 and 2000 with Roger and Pettite and others? Every WS winner and pennant winner since the late 80's has players who used steroids.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRGL27Rings. Show FRGL27Rings's posts

My good friend jaytf25, that means your Sox haven't won a legit World Series in 95 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

What do I think? I think ...(un-printable)...!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyinthebronx. Show mikeyinthebronx's posts

In Response to Re: Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916;it’s 95 years and counting. What do you think?:
    Frank does that also include the 2009 Yanks who had A-Roid and Pettite? And what about 1999 and 2000 with Roger and Pettite and others? Every WS winner and pennant winner since the late 80's has players who used steroids.
    Posted by jaytf25

Ok so the Yanks won one on the level in 1996 and 1998....probably not though 1978. 

The story is stupid....the Sox won in 2004 and 2007 while every other team (most likely) had PED users....yes Manny and Ortiz cheated but they won in an era when there were a lot of cheaters.  As a Yankee fan I hate that the Sox won those 2 World Series (especially 2004 for obvious reasons) but they won and they were legit, end of story.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

27Rings:

This thread is so much folderol, like most of the stuff you post.                                                                                           

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

truth hurts - i always said that the 2004/7 championships were awesome but they were during the steroid era so like everyone else, our players and team were tainted - the 1918 World Series? Who cares? They were all playing in slow motion back then and those players were more like amateurs today...honestly Cy Young won 3264 games & Walter Johnson threw 997 shutouts during that era-look it up!

But there will be no excuse making when we win in 2011...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Frankie..sorry, i stopped reading after Dan Shaughnessy:

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Shaughnessy is not embracing this baseball season at all. My thinking is he is burned out and needs to take the season off, recharge his hunger for the game and rethink his place in Boston sports.  He's become a constant complainer. 

When your readings the Boston Globe there's stuff that belongs on the front page, business section, mart section and so on. Those sections remind us of the great recession and turmoil that takes place in our world.  But, there is cool place we can go to escape all that. The sports section. 

The sports section is supposed to be a fun place for your mind to go. Dan, and the editors at the Globe have forgotten the essence of their work.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916;it’s 95 years and counting. What do you think?:
    In Response to Re: Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916;it’s 95 years and counting. What do you think? : Ok so the Yanks won one on the level in 1996 and 1998....probably not though 1978.  The story is stupid....the Sox won in 2004 and 2007 while every other team (most likely) had PED users....yes Manny and Ortiz cheated but they won in an era when there were a lot of cheaters.  As a Yankee fan I hate that the Sox won those 2 World Series (especially 2004 for obvious reasons) but they won and they were legit, end of story.
    Posted by mikeyinthebronx

Well said Mikey. It hasn't been proven that Manny and Ortiz were using then, but it wouldn't surprise me. You can't just write off 10-15 years of baseball. Steroids were everywhere, it's past time that we move on. I don't think anyone can take a holier than thou attitude and point fingers.

Shaughnessy is always trying to get a rise out of people, so they will read his junk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

If we want to say the Sox titles weren't "legit",then there's never been a legit title in baseball history.  Someone on every WS team was  probably using some type of illegal substance.  Greenies?  Too much pine tar?  Spitballs?  Using the "neighborhood play" on force plays at 2B?  It's all ILLEGITIMATE!!! oh no's, there's never been a team to "fairly" win a WS title ever; where's the ethics people?  THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

Same ole carrot top; trying to stir up controversy. Place him in the "ignore file" and you'll feel better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Typical Shaughnessy. He's an idiot how he keeps his job is beyond me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

My good friend jaytf25, that means your Sox haven't won  a legit World Series in 95 years.
    Posted by FRGL27Rings

You didn't answer the question Frank. If the Sox titles in 04 and 07 are not legit does that make the 99 and 00 Yankee titles legit??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Frank I don't get you lately. We know you're a Yankee fan but you always used to post baseball, Red Sox and Yankee questions. Why are you posting like a troll lately and trying push our buttons? Even when we would break your stones you were cool about it. What's up? Is this the same Frank?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

This is the dumbest story Dan has ever written.  Not much else to say.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Same ole carrot top; trying to stir up controversy. Place him in the "ignore file" and you'll feel better.
    Posted by Shadowcpt

Shaughnessy makes a good living by trying to stir things up. By the way, "Marvelous " Marvin Hagler is one of my all time favorite fighters.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

The Sox won in 04 and 07, so people are just assuming that Manny and Papi were on PED's.  But the 'list' was for 2003.  No proof that they were tainted in 4 and 7.
    Just sayin

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Shaughnessy is a tool. I usually avoid his tripe, this being no exception.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Frankie..sorry, i stopped reading after Dan Shaughnessy:
    Posted by jete02fan

Ditto, Jete.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Dan Shaughnessy: “the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916;it’s 95 years and counting. What do you think?:
    by Dan Shaughnessy /Boston Globe "So now it turns out that maybe the 1918 World Series was fixed. I guess this means the Red Sox haven’t won a World Series on the level since beating the Brooklyn Robins in five games in 1916. The Chicago History Museum just released a portion of the 1920 court deposition of Black Sox hurler Eddie Cicotte and Cicotte said he and his White Sox teammates talked about one or more Cubs players who were offered $10,000 to throw the 1918 World Series, won by the Red Sox in six games. A purist or a wise guy could take this information and taunt Red Sox fans, claiming the BoSox haven’t won a legit World Series in 95 years. Sure, the Sox won in 2004 and 2007, but those teams were led by 3-4 hitters David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, both of whom turned up on the list of players who were using performance enhancers in 2003. Manny went on to fail drug tests in 2009 and 2011. So, if ’04 and ’07 amount to “our cheaters were better than your cheaters,’’ and 1918 was in the bag, it’s 95 years and counting."
    Posted by FRGL27Rings

Let's see ... the phrase "maybe the 1918 ... was fixed" satisfies the journalistic ethos so as to write more craph about the Red Sox.  And the source?   None other than our resident knock Sox idiot.  If there is any dirt - or POSSIBLE DIRT - this maroon will make something out of it.  

And you so willingly took the bait.  You Red Sox loving soul, you. 

The tainting of Manny/Ortiz?  Hmmm ... I'd like to know why all the other PEDs players and their teams weren't winning it all.  Or maybe they were.  Even in de Bronnix.  With almost all of the NYuck heroes being PEDs users too ....   the Rocket, the newly retired team mate and fellow pitch of his, the admission of the best player in the game admitting to using in the years he built his reputation (Is it possible he used when he doesn't admit to it????   The most honorable Mr. Purple Lips ...???)  While the NYucks didn't win with A-Rod until 2009, the other offenders certainly were key to WS crowns ...

So strip them of that too ...

The crowns won't be taken away, but the dignity will be.

There is a reason it's called history.  And rarely do we get a clean, unbiased remake of it. 

Did you know that FDR had a mistress and his wife had one too?

I read that more than once, so it has to be true.

Did you know that as many as 18,000,000 Americans believe we never landed on the moon?

Must be so because one out of 20 or so are sure it was just a Stanley Kubrick production ... or something like that.

103 players were found to have been users of "some" off limits substance.  And the list of the offenders and the offenses were supposed to be anonymous.  Instead someone broke the law (isn't that cheating, too?) and started to parcel out who the offenders were.  Giving partial info that only makes bad things worse.    In the Olympics, some have been eliminated because they took cold meds with unapproved elements as part of the mix.  Off they went.  No competition. 

I am saddened that the game was lessened by the use of enhancers, but I'm not gonna throw out results for a team because it was extrapolated from a series of anonymous tests that they might have been cheating.

I am also NOT gonna throw out reults based on 90 year old hear say. 

I don't think the CIA was behind JFK's assassination.  I don't think that there were multiple gunman, but his shooter might have been working with someone...

Any more rumors or hearsay .... anyone?

I don't want facts.  They are useless.  CHB clearly doesn't need them.  Neither do some of our wonderful catfish posters here.

Tell me, was the Tom's River Little League win fixed?  I might as well start a rumor ....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crix. Show crix's posts

If only Cub players were, indeed, in on a fix, then no blame lies with the Red Sox, and their win is certainly legitamate. No one denies the Reds were the 1919 champions, even with the more extensive, proven fix of the Black Sox scandal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

yeah it was okay for the Yankees to buy players but the Red Sox were not allowed to purchase Rudi and Fingers - which had they been allowed to do likely would have won WSC in 1977 and 1978.

Sections
Shortcuts