Daniel "our future closer" Bard and Joba Chamberlain

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Re: Daniel "our future closer" Bard and Joba Chamberlain

In Response to Re: Daniel "our future closer" Bard and Joba Chamberlain:
    [QUOTE]Perhaps Bard's not the problem...it's our expectations that need to be re-evaluated...bopth he a Joba are and were supposed to the guysto replace the best closer in history and the best in Red Sox history...maybe we should just appreciate what we have instead of tearing down the kid...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

You could be right. But wither way i dont trust him holding the score in the 8th. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

To be overrated, you have to be regarded as far better than you really are. What was Bard regarded as going into this season? An excellent setup man and FUTURE (as in "he has the tools to evolve into the role") closer?

So he's had an inconsistent two months and suddenly he's light years behind that
    ?

This happens with every RS player who has a couple of good games or bad games.  Papi had to go, Beckett had to go, Ells had to go because he's fragile, despite playing every game.  Paps had to be extended, then he had to go, now he has to be extended.

For funnsies, since the first game, his ERA is 2.25, OPSa is .572, .173 BAA, 22/6 K/W.  His only problem is that, because he is the best setup guy in BB, he's been overused.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

from the daniel bard forum.  tell us if you think he stinks and tell us why:

http://www.talk-sports.net/mlb/sucks.aspx/Daniel_Bard

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Re: Daniel "our future closer" Bard and Joba Chamberlain:
    [QUOTE]To be overrated, you have to be regarded as far better than you really are. What was Bard regarded as going into this season? An excellent setup man and FUTURE (as in "he has the tools to evolve into the role") closer? So he's had an inconsistent two months and suddenly he's light years behind that ? This happens with every RS player who has a couple of good games or bad games.  Papi had to go, Beckett had to go, Ells had to go because he's fragile, despite playing every game.  Paps had to be extended, then he had to go, now he has to be extended. For funnsies, since the first game, his ERA is 2.25, OPSa is .572, .173 BAA, 22/6 K/W.  His only problem is that, because he is the best setup guy in BB, he's been overused.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Here we go with selective stats again. Basically youre saying if you ignore one of his worst games this year hes beeen the best set up guy in baseball. Should we only use the stas he has in game where he gave up no run and no hits? If we do that he's perfect. And get real about him being the best set up guys in baseball, hes has an ERA of 3.65 and 4 losses in 24 gaes hes pitched in. So he has lost 17% of all games hes pitched in this year. Please dont make me find a better set up guy. It wont be hard. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think it's more than "overused".
    Was he overused at the beginning of the season when he blew those games?

It may be more a matter of
    1) refining his stuff. Especially his command of secondary pitches.
    2) He's no longer an unknown commodity. Hitters make adjustments to certain patterns. This could affect pitch sequence.
    3) Home/away could affect how he pitches.

For example, Bard:

At Home: 1-0  1.32 ERA  OPP BA  .114  OPP OPS .900 .103 BABIP
    Away:      0-4  6.55 ERA  OPP BA .302  OPP OPS .425 .387 BABIP

With Salty: 5.91 ERA      8 SO  6 BB 
    With Tek1.93 ERA  16 SO  1 BB

Hopefully, some of this will eventually even out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

No one is perfect. I think Bard is a fantastic pitcher, who just may not have the mindset and focus that you need to be a closer. I think closers, to some extent love the rush and the challenge of coming into a sudden death-type situation -- an "all on you" scenario. I agree, we need Paps, but I never wanted to get rid of him in the first place.

Btw, loved his "Doubt me" shirt in spring training.