Daniel Bard Fluff Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Daniel Bard Fluff Talk

All of that talk about Bard during the early part of spring training is looking to be fluff. His first two outings haven't been good and he hasn't gotten his fastball over 94. He's still working on mechanics.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Daniel Bard Fluff Talk

It's still early in Spring Training.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

It's still early in Spring Training.  

It is. And I don't believe he has allowed a run as yet. While I remain skeptical about his prospects for success, his results so far are not bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

All of that talk about Bard during the early part of spring training is looking to be fluff. His first two outings haven't been good and he hasn't gotten his fastball over 94. He's still working on mechanics.  

Rarely have I seen a pitcher throw more than 94 mph at this point. I saw Doc Halladay last year and he just was working up to his full arm strength. Pap got beaten up yesterday and Manuel is not panicing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Some constant complainers like ADG  expect perfection. That way when they dont get it they have something to whine about.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

it was all valentine's fault

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

A. i don't think I read any "fluff talk" about Bard, only people expressing hope that he could return to form.

B. "fluff talk" is criticizing/lauding performances in February.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

it was all valentine's fault

When you're right you're right...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[Insert the obvious 'ST is mostly marked by media fluff' comment here.]

Meh.  I'd love to see Bard return to form (obv) but I don't think the fate of the team depends upon it.  Given the quality and depth of other BP options, I think he could make them marginally better but that's about all.  If he regains his old form I will rejoice; if he gets assigned to Pawtucket to keep working on his mechanics I won't cry myself to sleep.  Hell, if they told him over the winter to stretch out and be prepared to continue working as a starter in Pawtucket I would have been surprised but not upset ... low chance of success but high upside and all that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Too bad. I really doubt the move to starter caused his problems. He probably would have collapsed as the closer in 2012. Hopeful he can turn it around

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Too bad. I really doubt the move to starter caused his problems. He probably would have collapsed as the closer in 2012. Hopeful he can turn it around

hard to say. He DID change his mechanics to accomodate his transition to a starter (like actually winding up as opposed to always using the slide-step like he did as a BP guy).

the mechanical flaws caused a lack of production (stinking up the joint) which caused a lack of confidence. I hope he returns to his former greatness ASAP but if he has to start the season in AAA (likely, as he still seems to be a bit off and has an option left) then our BP will still be top notch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Has any athlete ever given anything but fluff talk?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to 111SoxFan111's comment:

[Insert the obvious 'ST is mostly marked by media fluff' comment here.]

Meh.  I'd love to see Bard return to form (obv) but I don't think the fate of the team depends upon it.  Given the quality and depth of other BP options, I think he could make them marginally better but that's about all.  If he regains his old form I will rejoice; if he gets assigned to Pawtucket to keep working on his mechanics I won't cry myself to sleep.  Hell, if they told him over the winter to stretch out and be prepared to continue working as a starter in Pawtucket I would have been surprised but not upset ... low chance of success but high upside and all that.

Ben has actually done a very good job of making Bard's return to effectiveness immaterial to the success of this team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Bard's success was built almost entirely on his velocity. Unless he can get back up into the high 90's , he is not going to be very effective.  It is not as if he has a variety of pitches.  He needs the dominating fastball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

hard to say. He DID change his mechanics to accomodate his transition to a starter (like actually winding up as opposed to always using the slide-step like he did as a BP guy).

the mechanical flaws caused a lack of production (stinking up the joint) which caused a lack of confidence. I hope he returns to his former greatness ASAP but if he has to start the season in AAA (likely, as he still seems to be a bit off and has an option left) then our BP will still be top notch.

People forget that Bard's ineffectiveness began in September of 2011.  Last year was just an extension of that.  His failures mirror the failures of the Sox as a team, though I absolutely am NOT suggesting he is responsible for the 2011 collapse and 2012 embarrasment.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

People forget that Bard's ineffectiveness began in September of 2011.  Last year was just an extension of that.  His failures mirror the failures of the Sox as a team, though I absolutely am NOT suggesting he is responsible for the 2011 collapse and 2012 embarrasment.

I don't think he actually lost his velocity in Sept. He lost that when they tried to make him a SP.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

True on Sept. 2011. Bard failed that month as did everyone. Again I think it is something that would have happened in 2012 regardless of his position on the team. Physical or mental it is all the same pitch by pitch.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to BuritoT's comment:

Fill his roster space with Webster or De La Rosa

In the pen? I think they already have too many bodies in there B.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BuritoT's comment:

Fill his roster space with Webster or De La Rosa

No thanks.  I would like to groom some homegrown starters.  I thought that was the plan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Will be part of the "BLOCKBUSTER",  coming sooooon !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Will be part of the "BLOCKBUSTER",  coming sooooon !!!

yeah bill, teams are lining up to trade for Bard. A reliever turned starter who failed miserably and has yet to recover.... Genius. no wonder you are the 2012 poster of the year......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i think Bard's expiration date has come....he was hittable at 97mph...the simple fact is that he's been losing velocity and thus the poor pitching stats....that's not going to change imo

Sections
Shortcuts