Daniel Bard Fluff Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Daniel Bard Fluff Talk

Bard also seems like the kind of the guy who convinces himself of things that aren't true.  He says his velocity will come when he gets his mechanics down - maybe he's right, but I agree that his fastball needs to start at 96 to be effective. 

On a more optimistic note, though, De la Rosa hit 100, when he was barely hitting 90 after his surgery.  He could easily be what Bard has been for us the last few years (prior to 2012) or more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Bard also seems like the kind of the guy who convinces himself of things that aren't true.  He says his velocity will come when he gets his mechanics down - maybe he's right, but I agree that his fastball needs to start at 96 to be effective. 

On a more optimistic note, though, De la Rosa hit 100, when he was barely hitting 90 after his surgery.  He could easily be what Bard has been for us the last few years (prior to 2012) or more.

I am hoping DLR is being projected as a SP, not a RP. Those guys (RP) are a dime a dozen and are the biggest crapshoot in baseball. He should be brought along slowly and very gradually have his innings increased so he can become a TOR SP for us along with Webster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i think Bard's expiration date has come....he was hittable at 97mph...the simple fact is that he's been losing velocity and thus the poor pitching stats....that's not going to change imo

No, you are right Geo.  But, sometimes a little loss in velocity is a blessing in disguise.  Big league hitters feast on high 90s fastballs with no good movement (Daniel).  But, some pitchers learn how to pitch once they realize they aren't pushing anyone's wig back with the cheese.  I think Bard has the potential to actually pitch if he can orient himself.  I think the verdict is still out.  I am of the camp that gives him a mulligan for last year.  I do not give him a mulligan for his failures in latter 2011.  But, I think they were, as you point out, due to the fact that he was hittable at 97 and relying on the heat as his sole go-to pitch.  He needs to turn into an actual pitcher.  We shall see.  he has enough repertoire (not as a starter, but definitely as a short man), and enough stuff to be good.  The question of course, is whether he can put it together between the ears.

Sections
Shortcuts