Daniel Bard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from friveramartinez. Show friveramartinez's posts

Daniel Bard

This guy just allowed 5 BB and 2 ER during 2/3 IP. No hits , all BB! Please release this guy and let him start over somewhere else . He just need a fresh start, its frustraiting!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Daniel Bard

In response to friveramartinez's comment:

This guy just allowed 5 BB and 2 ER during 2/3 IP. No hits , all BB! Please release this guy and let him start over somewhere else . He just need a fresh start, its frustraiting!

I thought he already had few fresh starts.  Non-tender candidate.  Sorry to see him struggling continues.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I really feel bad about Bard....I blame the whole starter experiment on screwing up a real good thing.....that said, I cannot see how we can waste a spot on the 40 man Roster with him and possibly lose another prospect.....if we can desginate him and sign him to a Minor leagur contract....great, other wise we are going to have to let him and any potential he has reamining go. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I really feel bad about Bard....I blame the whole starter experiment on screwing up a real good thing.....that said, I cannot see how we can waste a spot on the 40 man Roster with him and possibly lose another prospect.....if we can desginate him and sign him to a Minor leagur contract....great, other wise we are going to have to let him and any potential he has reamining go. 

how can you blame the starter experiment when his troubles began in August 2011 while he was still pitching setup?

frankly I think it is just one of those unexplainable things like Steve Blass or Rick Ankiel and it is useless trying to figure it out or blame someone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

how can you blame the starter experiment when his troubles began in August 2011 while he was still pitching setup?

frankly I think it is just one of those unexplainable things like Steve Blass or Rick Ankiel and it is useless trying to figure it out or blame someone.

I know he had some horrible games in Sept 2011....but the whole team had horrible games in September 2011....he also had many good appearances and when he went to ST in 2012, he was still considered one of the best 8th inning guys in BB.....the Starter experiment changed his whole pitching approach.....semmingly caused a drop in Velocity and clearly was a big cause in a huge drop in Confidence.....and when it comes to pitchers, if you dont believe you can get guys out, then I guarantee you ...you will not get guys out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Exactly.  Blaming the starter thing as why he is doing lousy is about as ridiculous a thing as I have heard.  He has been on the decline well before that and WAS A STARTER IN COLLEGE!  It's not like he never did it before.  He also has some of the best pitching experts and coaches at his disposal.

Face it people...it was not the starter experiment.  It's what's between his ears and nothing more.  We have seen many players have that switch turned off then dissappear.....remember Chuch Knoblauch??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUO  why does this bother you? you need to find something to do..... Wow!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

He cost the team 1.5 mil this year, due for arbitration and can't earn less than this year.  This is a pretty simple decision.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

He cost the team 1.5 mil this year, due for arbitration and can't earn less than this year.  This is a pretty simple decision.

Yep......time to let him move on.  Pitching is s strength and I think we need to use our resources on players that are on the up and up.....not declining more and more every week.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

It's time to move on. It's hard to move on from guys with big arms but at some point you have to let go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Exactly.  Blaming the starter thing as why he is doing lousy is about as ridiculous a thing as I have heard.  He has been on the decline well before that and WAS A STARTER IN COLLEGE!  It's not like he never did it before.  He also has some of the best pitching experts and coaches at his disposal.

Face it people...it was not the starter experiment.  It's what's between his ears and nothing more.  We have seen many players have that switch turned off then dissappear.....remember Chuch Knoblauch??

That is revisionist history....Daniel Bard had 25 staright outings in June and July of 2011 where he gave up 0 Earned Runs.....had 27 K and 6 BB in 25 innings.....he then had a horrible game August 1st and took a loss...gave up a HR in one inning of work August 6th and then proceeded to go the rest of August (8 appearances) without giving up another Earned run.....he, as I said like the rest of the team tanked in September.  I hardly see this as a pitcher that was in decline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

That is revisionist history....Daniel Bard had 25 staright outings in June and July of 2011 where he gave up 0 Earned Runs.....had 27 K and 6 BB in 25 innings.....he then had a horrible game August 1st and took a loss...gave up a HR in one inning of work August 6th and then proceeded to go the rest of August (8 appearances) without giving up another Earned run.....he, as I said like the rest of the team tanked in September.  I hardly see this as a pitcher that was in decline.

So you HONESTLY think that the STARTER experiment is the SOLE reson he is a mess now??  For real?  He was a starter before he was a reliever and did pretty well when he converted that time.  He also has the best coaches in the world helping him for the last year!  Sorry......he simply lost it.  It happens.  To blame it on being converted to a starter for a few month is simply wrong and not giving him and the coaches enough credit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

With the hernandez news coming out, nothing would surprise me.  For all we know, bard might have an anxiety disorder or a drug problem.  The pieces just don't fit... he got drafted and tweeked out as a starter.  He dominated in the setup roll and lost it starting again.  He is just lost right now.

The only thing that matters in this game are results and costs associated for those results..  he is about to get expensive and gives no results.  Thanks for the great years at basement prices!  Say hi to Manny Delcarmen wherever you go

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

So you HONESTLY think that the STARTER experiment is the SOLE reson he is a mess now??  For real?  He was a starter before he was a reliever and did pretty well when he converted that time.  He also has the best coaches in the world helping him for the last year!  Sorry......he simply lost it.  It happens.  To blame it on being converted to a starter for a few month is simply wrong and not giving him and the coaches enough credit.

I agree he has lost it and it is definitely mental and not physical......I just think that those Mental issues began intensified when they tried converting him to a starter and put him in the competition with Aceves....that caused him to start throwing at less than full effort, knowing that he needed to throw many more pitches.....which led to poor results, which leads to a lack of confidence, which led to poooer results, which led to his demotion....which led to even less confidence.....which of course causes the Mental issues....is it the Sole Reason....no of course not.....a stronger guy might have fought his way back from the minors....but I honestly believe if they had left him in his 8th inning role or even made him the closer(where he could have also thrown max effort).....he would not have fallen as far as he has. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Saying the team tanked is not justification.  A lot of players were bad that month, but if I had to pick one person who cost them the most it would be Bard.  He had 4 losses that month in 11 innings.  He was horrendous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from friveramartinez. Show friveramartinez's posts

I dont see any escenary with him being a Red Sox 2014

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

Saying the team tanked is not justification.  A lot of players were bad that month, but if I had to pick one person who cost them the most it would be Bard.  He had 4 losses that month in 11 innings.  He was horrendous.

A lot of can be blamed on him hitting a wall and struggling with being burnt out. I also think Dan Bard of September 2011 is very different than the one today. It will be very interesting to see his next outing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I said...He and the team tanked...he was absolutely Horrendous....but I dont think that month was any indication that he somehow was now a horrible pitcher....pitchers go through bad months.....look at Kuroda this month or Verlander.....things snowball.....especially when the team around you is crumbling and the pressure is building daily.....if anything his September performance would have been justifcation to get him back comfortable in a role he was successful in, not add to it by putting him in a ST competition for the 5th starter spot....we can all agree to disagree.....I stand by humble opinion. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

IMHO, Bard is not a mentally strong baseball player. Its the reason farrell didnt like it when they made him a starter. That, and he beaned all his players in one game last year. He knew this kids' mental makeup. He gets in his own head too much.

Being a reliever, he could just go out the next day and fire it in for 1IP. As a starter he had 4-5 days in between starts to think. Thats too long for a guy like Bard.

The starter experiment messed with him some what, but I think with his makeup it would have happened at some point regardless.

Id non tender him and see if he would be willing to sign a MiL deal.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Yeah, non-tendered. 

Daniel Bard pitched in the GCL again today. Walked 5 of the 6 hitters he faced, threw two wild pitches, allowed 3 SBs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

IMHO, Bard is not a mentally strong baseball player. Its the reason farrell didnt like it when they made him a starter. That, and he beaned all his players in one game last year. He knew this kids' mental makeup. He gets in his own head too much.

Being a reliever, he could just go out the next day and fire it in for 1IP. As a starter he had 4-5 days in between starts to think. Thats too long for a guy like Bard.

The starter experiment messed with him some what, but I think with his makeup it would have happened at some point regardless.

Id non tender him and see if he would be willing to sign a MiL deal.

Why even offer him a minor league deal? Move on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

A lot of can be blamed on him hitting a wall and struggling with being burnt out. I also think Dan Bard of September 2011 is very different than the one today. It will be very interesting to see his next outing.

It can't be worse, but it won't be good. How's that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

All sorts of players get turned into starters when they were relievers, and Bard wanted to start.

It is his fault he is horrible. No one elses.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Five walks, two wild pitches, and four stolen bases.  Sounds like he was unhittable!

If his velocity was up, he's worth holding on to.  It's no co-incidence that Daniel Bard the incredible setup man threw 98MPH and Dan Bard the starter threw 92.  Without velocity, there's no room for him.  If he gets that back, he can get his control back.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Well put! He deserves a fresh start somewhere else. I know RS get nothing in return, but sometimes the best thing to do. Steve Blass / Rick Ankiel / Steve Sax hard to believe it can happen even at this level.

Sections
Shortcuts