Daniel Bard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Re: Daniel Bard

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Five walks, two wild pitches, and four stolen bases.  Sounds like he was unhittable!

If his velocity was up, he's worth holding on to.  It's no co-incidence that Daniel Bard the incredible setup man threw 98MPH and Dan Bard the starter threw 92.  Without velocity, there's no room for him.  If he gets that back, he can get his control back.

He can get his control back? Really? He's worth holding on to if he gets his velocity up? Remember he's arb eligible and made $1.6M this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to friveramartinez's comment:

This guy just allowed 5 BB and 2 ER during 2/3 IP. No hits , all BB! Please release this guy and let him start over somewhere else . He just need a fresh start, its frustraiting!

I feel so sorry for the guy, I hope he can turn it around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

There is no question that Bard's troubles are in his head, and he may now be the all time best example of baseball teams trying to fix things that are not broken.

We will never know how much Bard was affected by the attempt to make him a starter.  Even if he was in favor of the move at the time, the team should have been smarter.

He is done in Boston and may be done everywhere as well.   What a shame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

....I can't blame Bard for wanting to start (higher profile, much more money, etc.) nor the Sox for letting him try.  He'd have been much more valuable if he'd been able to start the way he middle relieved.

Who could have predicted such a meltdown, even if they had predicted him failing as a starter?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:

He cost the team 1.5 mil this year, due for arbitration and can't earn less than this year.  This is a pretty simple decision.

Under the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement, in arbitration Daniel Bard could get a pay cut of up to 20 percent off his 2013 salary. See Article VI(B)(1) on pages 10-11:

http://mlb.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

In the unlikely event the Red Sox tender Bard a contract, Bard could be the rare case where a player takes a pay cut while under one team's control.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

It is possible that his confidence was forever rocked by the starter experiment but I have to believe that if he ever were going to be a terrific closer he would have the ability to overcome any damage to the psyche.

Exactly Burrito. If the mental capacity was there, he should be able to overcome it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

[QUOTE]He cost the team 1.5 mil this year, due for arbitration and can't earn less than this year.  This is a pretty simple decision.

Under the MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement, in arbitration Daniel Bard could get a pay cut of up to 20 percent off his 2013 salary. See Article VI(B)(1) on pages 10-11:

In the unlikely event the Red Sox tender Bard a contract, Bard could be the rare case where a player takes a pay cut while under one team's control.

[/QUOTE]

Would you pay him $1.2M?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

He cost the team 1.5 mil this year, due for arbitration and can't earn less than this year.  This is a pretty simple decision.

Would you pay him $1.2M?[/QUOTE]

No, which is why I wrote "In the unlikely event the Red Sox tender Bard a contract ..."

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]He cost the team 1.5 mil this year, due for arbitration and can't earn less than this year.  This is a pretty simple decision.

[/QUOTE]

Would you pay him $1.2M?

[/QUOTE]

If he's throwing 98 with control problems?  Yes, I'd pay the guy who was one of baseball's best setup man two years ago less than Ty Buttrey's signing bonus to keep him with the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

This guy just allowed 5 BB and 2 ER during 2/3 IP. No hits , all BB! Please release this guy and let him start over somewhere else . He just need a fresh start, its frustraiting!

[/QUOTE] I have trouble feeling sorry for anybody making 1.6 million this year and he has can't manage to pitch one complete inning. That's as much money as a lot of people make in an entire lifetime of endless 8 hour days.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Would you pay him $1.2M?

I would not pay him anything, because he is not worth anything to the team right now. He is taking up a roster spot that could be used by someone more deserving. Its too bad, but Bard is TOAST.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Another awful outing. Four BB's in one inning.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chetgnat. Show chetgnat's posts

If he can throw strikes without a batter in the box, he can be salvaged with the right sort of psychological approach. It would probably involve incorporating a healthy does of IDGAF. But if he can't even throw quality pitches in a bullpen session, he's done. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I have trouble feeling sorry for anybody making 1.6 million this year and he has can't manage to pitch one complete inning. That's as much money as a lot of people make in an entire lifetime of endless 8 hour days.

[/QUOTE]

Great Point!

It's why I feel many posters here are truly in fantasy land.  These same people talk about throwing money around, someone else's of course, like it's a monopoly game.

If it wasn't so pathetic, it would be funny. 

Sections
Shortcuts