Daniel Nava, Flash in the Pan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Daniel Nava, Flash in the Pan

I was stunned by Nava's consistency last year. Stunned by it, perplexed, happy, thrilled, and he was a feel good story of many in 2013. But he's a .525 OPS in 107 at bats this year and his 2 HR are his 3 RBI. If the clock was ticking on Grady Sizemore, then the 31-year-old Nava's just ran out of time. I hate to say it but he's a true definition of a flash in the pan because that's what his 2013 numbers were. Did he get enough plate appearances this year to warrant calling him that? I don't know. But what I've seen is a guy who was sort of what I felt he was-- a. 240 type hitter with no power with his strong suit being he can reach base via the walk. Except he's not even doing that--8 walks. Time to unconditionally release him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Daniel Nava, Flash in the Pan

I don't know, it looks to me like they're hoping for him to turn it around, and he has shown some glimpses of his 2013 self the last few games.   

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's amazing how the "brain" trust on this forum honestly believe that Daniel Nava is going to go on a tear and carry the outfield bats from here on out.  They say "give him a chance"..........Knowing he already got TWO chances this year.  Big Fat "F" in chance 1 and on pace for another "0" in his second attempt.  Be happy we got his .300 season last year that helped us win yet another World Series Championship whilst the "Mighty" yankees didn't even sniff the playoffs last year.  But happy and move on.  And don't worry about Big D.  He made a $500K for 3 years prior to hitting 32 years old, is fully vested in the MLB pension plan, is a World Champion, and will be first in line to be the new head coach at St Francis High.

[/QUOTE]

Who has claimed Nava is going to "carry the outfield"?

These posts are strangely timed given that, as Hfx alluded to, he is hitting .333/.817 in June so far (21 PA). Maybe it will last, maybe it won't, but you go with the hot hand...either he will hit enough to justify staying on the roster or he won't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

his swing looks good right now.  just missing some pitches and others hitting atom balls for outs.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's amazing how the "brain" trust on this forum honestly believe that Daniel Nava is going to go on a tear and carry the outfield bats from here on out.  They say "give him a chance"..........Knowing he already got TWO chances this year.  Big Fat "F" in chance 1 and on pace for another "0" in his second attempt.  Be happy we got his .300 season last year that helped us win yet another World Series Championship whilst the "Mighty" yankees didn't even sniff the playoffs last year.  But happy and move on.  And don't worry about Big D.  He made a $500K for 3 years prior to hitting 32 years old, is fully vested in the MLB pension plan, is a World Champion, and will be first in line to be the new head coach at St Francis High.

[/QUOTE]

These posts are strangely timed given that, as Hfx alluded to, he is hitting .333/.817 in June so far (21 PA). Maybe it will last, maybe it won't, but you go with the hot hand...either he will hit enough to justify staying on the roster or he won't.

[/QUOTE]

what is he like 6 for 18?  Where are the "SMALL SAMPLE COPS" when you need them?

[/QUOTE]

The small sample disclaimer should be obvious, but it makes little sense to release him (as the OP calls for) when it appears he is just beginning to hit better.

If anything, his ~100 plate appearances this season are the small sample compared to 536 PA last season (.831 OPS), and 505 PA in 2010+2012 (.730 OPS) when he at least looked like a useful bench player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Why release a guy with options?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

what is he like 6 for 18?  Where are the "SMALL SAMPLE COPS" when you need them?

[/QUOTE]

The small sample disclaimer should be obvious, but it makes little sense to release him (as the OP calls for) when it appears he is just beginning to hit better.

If anything, his ~100 plate appearances this season are the small sample compared to 536 PA last season (.831 OPS), and 505 PA in 2010+2012 (.730 OPS) when he at least looked like a useful bench player.

[/QUOTE]

why release him when you can option him down?

but the way he is hitting he has no business being on a major league team. well, a winning ML team.  he fits in just fine on this ball club.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but the way he is hitting he has no business being on a major league team. well, a winning ML team.  he fits in just fine on this ball club.

[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth.  A thread like this could be started about most if not all of the players on the club right now.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.  Eleanor Roosevelt

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth.  A thread like this could be started about most if not all of the players on the club right now.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.  Eleanor Roosevelt

[/QUOTE]

If Sizemore is allowed to stay with the team all season and of course which also means we'll lose 100 games, we'll go from being WSC w/ Lester and Ortiz as the faces of the team to a 100 loss team with Grady Sizemore as the poster boy.  think about that.  it's very sick.  Big Ben's got some QUICK work to do.  Get 'er done - NOW!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 67redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If Sizemore is allowed to stay with the team all season and of course which also means we'll lose 100 games, we'll go from being WSC w/ Lester and Ortiz as the faces of the team to a 100 loss team with Grady Sizemore as the poster boy.  think about that.  it's very sick.  Big Ben's got some QUICK work to do.  Get 'er done - NOW!

[/QUOTE]

To be honest with you I think the problem is bigger than just sizemore although I agree that he is a big problem.  I don't see this team improving this year.  I think we will just have to grin and bear it and hope next year is better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I hesitate to blame any one player because Cherington in fact brought back most of the guys who won it all last year.  Certainly the same rotation and most of the bullpen, and pitching was a real strength last year, especially in the postseason. 

The only good hitter who got away was Ellsbury, and most people agree the Yankees overpaid to get him in large part because he was cheaper than Cano, who the Mariners are now overpaying.  Gomes/Nava were a great platoon in LF.  Victorino good in RF.  All back.  Ditto Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia, Napoli, Ortiz, and Ross.  Salty left, but I think Pierzynski so far has been better than Salty.  Drew left too, and by now most of us are saying we wish he had stayed gone even though it's early on his return.  In any case, Drew was/is not the answer in the hitting department. 

Also in defense of Cherington, one has to look at the Yankees.  They are spending about $70M more than the Sox so they can have players like Ellsbury, Teixeira, Suzuki, etc in their lineup, but their offense is just as weak as ours.  The Athletics meanwhile are actually charging their own players to be allowed to play MLB, which means their salary package this year is a -$10M (this really helps when it comes to figuring the profit), and the Athletics are leading the AL in runs scored.   So, if Cherington is an idiot, he has a lot of company. 

Finally, which MLB GM's can claim their team very recently won it all?  Answer:  very darn few.  End of Cherington defense because I too think he probably made some mistakes.  But I do understand why he kept the guys he did and didn't keep the ones who went elsewhere. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I made this thread specific to Nava because I'm talking about Nava, not Sizemore, not some of the other struggling Sox--some who warrant their own presence on the Sox roster. HOWEVER, Nava is an outfielder and I feel the outfield has to have guys who can produce. He isn't/hasn't and I think last year was not a normal year for him. It will be his best year in MLB when it's all said and done. There are players that have done this, where they have a great season and then not much else in their careers. It happens. I wish Nava the best and it would be great if he suddenly went on a Holt-like tear, but I think he's getting overmatched. Scouting reports are eating him alive apparently. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I made this thread specific to Nava because I'm talking about Nava, not Sizemore, not some of the other struggling Sox--some who warrant their own presence on the Sox roster. HOWEVER, Nava is an outfielder and I feel the outfield has to have guys who can produce. He isn't/hasn't and I think last year was not a normal year for him. It will be his best year in MLB when it's all said and done. There are players that have done this, where they have a great season and then not much else in their careers. It happens. I wish Nava the best and it would be great if he suddenly went on a Holt-like tear, but I think he's getting overmatched. Scouting reports are eating him alive apparently. 

[/QUOTE]

Last year was an AllStar performance out of him, it was unrealistic to thing it would happen twice in a row. He has some hit this month but more importantly he has option so why just cut him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

So he can return in another season or another time during the next few seasons? We've all seen what you are going to see out of the feel-good story of Daniel Nava. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'd just like to point out the fact that Nava's .742 OPS two years ago in 2012 was better than the OPS of any of our outfielders this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hesitate to blame any one player because Cherington in fact brought back most of the guys who won it all last year.  Certainly the same rotation and most of the bullpen, and pitching was a real strength last year, especially in the postseason. 

The only good hitter who got away was Ellsbury, and most people agree the Yankees overpaid to get him in large part because he was cheaper than Cano, who the Mariners are now overpaying.  Gomes/Nava were a great platoon in LF.  Victorino good in RF.  All back.  Ditto Middlebrooks, Bogaerts, Pedroia, Napoli, Ortiz, and Ross.  Salty left, but I think Pierzynski so far has been better than Salty.  Drew left too, and by now most of us are saying we wish he had stayed gone even though it's early on his return.  In any case, Drew was/is not the answer in the hitting department. 

Also in defense of Cherington, one has to look at the Yankees.  They are spending about $70M more than the Sox so they can have players like Ellsbury, Teixeira, Suzuki, etc in their lineup, but their offense is just as weak as ours.  The Athletics meanwhile are actually charging their own players to be allowed to play MLB, which means their salary package this year is a -$10M (this really helps when it comes to figuring the profit), and the Athletics are leading the AL in runs scored.   So, if Cherington is an idiot, he has a lot of company. 

Finally, which MLB GM's can claim their team very recently won it all?  Answer:  very darn few.  End of Cherington defense because I too think he probably made some mistakes.  But I do understand why he kept the guys he did and didn't keep the ones who went elsewhere. 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wouldn't compare us to the yankees. That's not fair to compare Ben to Cashman.  Cashman is one of the worst GM's and Ben is excellent so far.

But Ben did count on Clay and Vic who proved to more than just a little injury prone.  He needed to be proactive and have replacements for them this winter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why release a guy with options?

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  The season is 162 long and injuries occur.  You send him down and hope he picks it up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Aww, AM is specifically calling me out.

Hey, I did some math and came to the conclusion that Nava would go 27 for his next 81.  Seemed kind of bold and incredibly specific, but I went with it.  I never said he would carry the outfield, and even specifically said he would not.  I stated he would have at most 36 total bases in this “outburst.” It’s going to take more than a .444 SLG to carry this outfield.

And since that time, he is 5 for 13 (.385).  22 for 68 (.320) to go…

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava was not a "flash". He had a decent 2012 as well.

Reason 1: You don't cut a guy who has had very good success vs RHPs (.817 career OPS) because of one 107 PA sample size that involved a couple breaks in MLB action. 

Reason 2: You don't cut a guy who still has options left and plays a position of great need on this club.

Reason 3: He's streaky, and right now, he seems to be entering a hot streak.

Sox4ever

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The key to a good life is not to over-estimate a guy coming off a career year, and not to under-estimate the same guy when he is in an 82 AB slump.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Every time Nava gets the short end of the stick and people start to doubt him and/or forget about him he comes roaring back and puts himself into the conversation.

....I'd say Nava is due to go one a hot streak.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

June 72219100010610.409.480.455.935

This is the kid we all saw last year.  Of course he's not going to hit .409, but I think it's reasonable to expect .300+, with very good production.  As for playing LF, he did just fine al l of last year.

Welcome back Daniel. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

3-for-4...bout time....he reads the Forum!....:-)