Dare I inject a little enthusiasm

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Dare I inject a little enthusiasm

This team has all of the elements necessary for a deep run:

Starting pitching - Some say this rotation has pitched above its collective head.  Fine.  It has.  But, Lester has returned from his perennial mediocre swoon to be as close to red on the ace meter as we have seen him in years.  Lackey is rock solid.  Peavey has looked like the Peavey of the 'naughts since coming over.  And, the seriously biggest problem this club has is where to fit in their ace returning from a long layoff.  

Relief pitching - Deep pen, all roles filled, with a lights out closer.  Boom.

Offense - Now that Middlebrooks has come back mashing, I am not sure I have ever seen a line-up as dangerous 1-9.  No, they don't have the mythic 3-4 that traditionally carries a club.  But they have power and clutch over the entire line-up, and they have ...

SPEED.  New school Red Sox.  Ells, Victorino, Pedey, Quentin "Don't call me Dave Roberts" Berry.  Serious pressure.  Matters much more at playoff time.

Defense.  

And, perhaps mpst importantly, HARD NOSED GAMERS (Softy, wherever you are, you mad bro?).  Ephemoral term?  I think not.  These are guys who are not perfect, but, to a man, can get it done, and has gotten it done, when the chips are down and the game is on the line.

This thing isn't over yet, and as S5 wisely points up, they can't realistically roll like this through the rest of September.  And, the Rays, Yankees, and O's for that matter are not going to go away.  They must be put away.  So, I am not counting chickens.  But, IF we make the playoffs, I like the Sox chances.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Dare I inject a little enthusiasm

85-57, what can you say, I always hope for the best but this team has gone way beyond expectations. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

See you all in October !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zetterberg80. Show Zetterberg80's posts

The Red Sox are the best team in baseball, in my humble opinion.

They still may not win it all -- because anything can happen on the playoffs -- but this is the best, deepest, and most balanced team in the league. They have the best run differential in all of the majors. And like Spaceman alluded to above, they are also tough as nails.

Another huge factor is they have an amazing record while doing so in a tough division. 

The Dodgers are very good, but they get to feast on the Giants, Padres and Rockies.

The Braves get the Phillies and the Marlins.

The worst team in the AL East is the Jays, but they have the best record out of any last-place team and still feature the likes of Bautista and Encarnacion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Also the Sox have had some luck too. Capitalizing on other team's mistakes.

Vs. Baltimore Brian Roberts gets thrown out by Salty trying to steal second. Next batter hits a homer into the monster seats....Sox win by 1 run...should've been a 2-run homer for Baltimore.

Last night vs. Yankees, Soriano is the winnning run in scoring position at 2nd. Gets thrown out trying to steal 3rd...why ???? Pretty stupid move.

Vs. Detoit, Tigers 3rd bas coach sends slow footed Brayan Pena home ...he runs into an easy out, Sox catcher could have sent out for coffee and sandwiches and still have tagged him out....another stupid play, in a close game.

So, Mr. Spaceman, add "more intelligent than the opposition" to your list of positives.

"Advertising is legalized lying."- H.G.Wells

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Someone else is nearly ahead of Ellsbury's 5% MVP vote.

softy thought 90% of Sox Nation were Jake worshippers.

Sox4ever

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I've been enthusiastic all season. I believe in this team.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I've been enthusiastic all season. I believe in this team.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

But, we all know you're an enthusiastic guy, anyway.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Good possibility for a Tigers/Red Sox ALCS.  Pretty evenly matched.  Should be an epic series if it happens.  

My work productivity for October will be awful and I may need to enter rehab in November for caffeine addiction.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Starting pitching - Some say this rotation has pitched above its collective head.  Fine.  It has.  But, Lester has returned from his perennial mediocre swoon to be as close to red on the ace meter as we have seen him in years.  Lackey is rock solid.  Peavey has looked like the Peavey of the 'naughts since coming over.  And, the seriously biggest problem this club has is where to fit in their ace returning from a long layoff.  

Offense - Now that Middlebrooks has come back mashing, I am not sure I have ever seen a line-up as dangerous 1-9.  No, they don't have the mythic 3-4 that traditionally carries a club.  But they have power and clutch over the entire line-up, and they have ...

SPEED.  New school Red Sox.  Ells, Victorino, Pedey, Quentin "Don't call me Dave Roberts" Berry.  Serious pressure.  Matters much more at playoff time.

Defense.  

And, perhaps mpst importantly, HARD NOSED GAMERS (Softy, wherever you are, you mad bro?).  Ephemoral term?  I think not.  These are guys who are not perfect, but, to a man, can get it done, and has gotten it done, when the chips are down and the game is on the line.

This thing isn't over yet, and as S5 wisely points up, they can't realistically roll like this through the rest of September.  And, the Rays, Yankees, and O's for that matter are not going to go away.  They must be put away.  So, I am not counting chickens.  But, IF we make the playoffs, I like the Sox chances.

Not to dampen the parade, but there is no way I would call the bullpen deep.  Right now, Uehara and Breslow are the only reliables.  Everyone else is an adventure.  I kind of like Workman and think Morales can be effective, but Tazawa right now is frightening.  Thornton, ditto.  Likewise Britton.  DeLaRosa?  Fuhgeddaboudit. 

But that is the only weakness, and right now Uehara is the best closer in MLB.  Hitting and starting pitching are terrific.  Defense, OK.  Good outfield, but a little weak at 3B and catcher.  Drew ain't brilliant at SS, but he is reliable. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Defense.  

Not to dampen the parade, but there is no way I would call the bullpen deep.  Right now, Uehara and Breslow are the only reliables.  Everyone else is an adventure.  I kind of like Workman and think Morales can be effective, but Tazawa right now is frightening.  Thornton, ditto.  Likewise Britton.  DeLaRosa?  Fuhgeddaboudit. 

But that is the only weakness, and right now Uehara is the best closer in MLB.  Hitting and starting pitching are terrific.  Defense, OK.  Good outfield, but a little weak at 3B and catcher.  Drew ain't brilliant at SS, but he is reliable. 

True, but a playoff pen would/could also feature Dempster, and either Buchholz or Doubront.  And, ok, I am making an optimistic guess that Tazawa is just overworked and that Farrell see this and is going to rest him and he is going to be rested and effective come post season.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I like the work ethic this team has.  No super stars but a bunch of hard working grinders.  I love the intensity of peevy and the consistent effort on the field.

I think they are feeding off each other and will continue to give it their all and you can't ask for more.  Post season should be exciting, draining and exhausting for the players and the fans!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I do not consider Doubront or Dempster to be reliables in any bullpen.  Good for long relief, period. 

Defense.  

True, but a playoff pen would/could also feature Dempster, and either Buchholz or Doubront.  And, ok, I am making an optimistic guess that Tazawa is just overworked and that Farrell see this and is going to rest him and he is going to be rested and effective come post season.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I do not see Doubront or Dempster as a reliable reliever.  If Tazawa is exhausted, why isn't Uehara, who is older, pitched in the same number of games, and pitched two more innings?  Farrell says Tazawa's problem is his splitter ain't splitting right, not enough drop.  Maybe too tight a grip.  He does not look tired to me.  Abraham wrote today just what I said--two reliables in the bullpen right now, Uehara and Breslow.  The bullpen is not deep and not a plus. 

Overall, however, there is a lot to be enthusiastic about in this team.  Tied now with the Braves for the most wins in MLB and easily the best record in the AL.  On September 6, and that ain't hay. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I do not see Doubront or Dempster as a reliable reliever.  If Tazawa is exhausted, why isn't Uehara, who is older, pitched in the same number of games, and pitched two more innings?  Farrell says Tazawa's problem is his splitter ain't splitting right, not enough drop.  Maybe too tight a grip.  He does not look tired to me.  Abraham wrote today just what I said--two reliables in the bullpen right now, Uehara and Breslow.  The bullpen is not deep and not a plus. 

Overall, however, there is a lot to be enthusiastic about in this team.  Tied now with the Braves for the most wins in MLB and easily the best record in the AL.  On September 6, and that ain't hay. 

The cutter is mysterious.  But look what a little rest did to Lester's cutter.  If you are not finishing pitches (often a sign of wear-down), the cutter seems to be the first pitch to go bad.  We shall see.  But, I do think Taz needs some rest, now.  The backend depends on his effectiveness.

As for Uehara, apples and oranges.  A wily vet like Koji knows how to keep it together over the long haul.  Young Junichi is no mound Jedi yet.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This recent run is so fantastic, I have to pinch myself.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

This recent run is so fantastic, I have to pinch myself.

Sox4ever

And this team is even experiencing the pleasure of sticking the knife into the heart of the Yankees.  If the Red Sox sweep this series, or even take 3 out of 4, it'll be like twisting the knife.  A sweep would be like a historical reversal of the 1978 Boston Massacre series.  

Let the blood bath begin!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

85-57, what can you say, I always hope for the best but this team has gone way beyond expectations. 

Make it 86 now and I couldn't agree more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Tigers got 26 hits and 16 runs tonight vs Shields and the Royals.

We've been on this roll ve the hottest teams in MLB: LAD, DET & NYY.

Sox4ever

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to WilburNU's comment:

It was a great September.

wow ! what is it like to be loathed universally and at the same time banned 86 times?

Just 86? I thought Pike was up to 89 now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:

They still may not win it all -- because anything can happen on the playoffs -- but this is the best, deepest, and most balanced team in the league. They have the best run differential in all of the majors. And like Spaceman alluded to above, they are also tough as nails.

Another huge factor is they have an amazing record while doing so in a tough division. 

The Dodgers are very good, but they get to feast on the Giants, Padres and Rockies.

The worst team in the AL East is the Jays, but they have the best record out of any last-place team and still feature the likes of Bautista and Encarnacion. 

RE: The Dodgers are very good, but they get to feast on the Giants, Padres and Rockies.

I hope we get to face LA, I hate LA teams especially the Lakers, as SF has a rivalry with LA almost as intense as Boston-NY. We beat LA 2/3 in la la land but we did not face Kershaw. But, on a positive note, the last place Giants went 11-8 vs LA.

Our final ticket to win World Series might be through California, A's first and then the Dodgers. I won't be unhappy because I'll proudly wear my Boston Strong t-shirt & "B" on my cap to some games.

One good thing about playing in Tampa is that probably more than 1/2 the fans are rooting for the Red Sox.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

In response to Zetterberg80's comment:

RE: The Dodgers are very good, but they get to feast on the Giants, Padres and Rockies.

I hope we get to face LA, I hate LA teams especially the Lakers, as SF has a rivalry with LA almost as intense as Boston-NY. We beat LA 2/3 in la la land but we did not face Kershaw. But, on a positive note, the last place Giants went 11-8 vs LA.

Our final ticket to win World Series might be through California, A's first and then the Dodgers. I won't be unhappy because I'll proudly wear my Boston Strong t-shirt & "B" on my cap to some games.

You and me both SF.  

Sections
Shortcuts