Dare I inject a little perspective?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Dare I inject a little perspective?

Just to keep a little perspective on what's going on, I'll say the same thing about the Sox that I said about the O's, Yankees and Rays when they were on their hot streaks.  This won't last.  Nobody plays .800 ball over a long stretch.  The game itself doesn't allow it to happen.  The good news is that the Sox have built up enough of a lead now that they can afford the luxury of a slight skid and still survive it.  Nobody else in the AL East can.

Now... if I'm right about this and the Sox lose a few PLEASE don't start telling me that the sky is falling.  They'll be fine.  This is baseball and "stuff" happens.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Dare I inject a little perspective?

In response to S5's comment:

Just to keep a little perspective on what's going on, I'll say the same thing about the Sox that I said about the O's, Yankees and Rays when they were on their hot streaks.  This won't last.  Nobody plays .800 ball over a long stretch.  The game itself doesn't allow it to happen.  The good news is that the Sox have built up enough of a lead now that they can afford the luxury of a slight skid and still survive it.  Nobody else in the AL East can.

Now... if I'm right about this and the Sox lose a few PLEASE don't start telling me that the sky is falling.  They'll be fine.  This is baseball and "stuff" happens.   

It's a good time of the year to put it all together.

It's pretty scary that the Dodgers are getting Kemp back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

To paraphrase Kevin Spacey in "Horrible Bosses," a baseball season is a marathon and you can't win a marathon without chafing your nipples along the way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

My main concern is that the team peaks too early...it will be good to get Buchholz back and set a playoff rotation of him with Lester, Peavy and Lackey.

It all comes down to those 4 guys in my opinion, since 20 and 9 run outbursts will be few and far between in the postseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

To paraphrase Kevin Spacey in "Horrible Bosses," a baseball season is a marathon and you can't win a marathon without chafing your nipples along the way.

How'd I miss that? I"m a big Kevin Spacey fan!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

FANTASTIC MOVIE!!!!!!  Never heard of it until I took a flier on it and rented it.......now I own the Blu-ray and watch it anytime I need a pick me up!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

How'd I miss that? I"m a big Kevin Spacey fan!

I just saw it the other night on HBO. It's hilarious.

Every time we have asparagus, I always have the urge to say "Will somebody please pass the g-damn asparagus??"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I believe these guys are going all out. I'd love to see them blow away any expected norms. However it was created, this is s good mix. The only thing that's going to bother me is -- win or lose -- how much they're going to break up this bunch of guys.

IMO I don't think the ever-changing roster helps teams, especially those who totally click together. Although I believe they're going to win, I hope they can keep that to a minimum.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I tend to agree with your perspective, but may I remind you that exceptions to hard and fast rules do on occasion occur.

In September of 2007, the Rockies had what was considered by many to be the best month of all-time for a ball club, winning 21 of 22 games in the stretch. (.955) The Rockies then went on to sweep their first seven playoff games en route to winning the 2007 National League Pennant which was the franchise's first-ever pennant.

Of course I'd be remiss if I were to omit the epilogue.  Sox burst Rockies balloon, sweep 4 games for World Series trophy.  But it does not diminish what the Rockies achieved in September.

Let's just hope that the Sox can capture some of the kharma that the Rockies had going for them in 2007.

Go SOX.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

I tend to agree with your perspective, but may I remind you that exceptions to hard and fast rules do on occasion occur.

In September of 2007, the Rockies had what was considered by many to be the best month of all-time for a ball club, winning 21 of 22 games in the stretch. (.955) The Rockies then went on to sweep their first seven playoff games en route to winning the 2007 National League Pennant which was the franchise's first-ever pennant.

Point taken. I should have qualified my statement with, "figuratively speaking". 

It's also a point that that 22 game period is a prime example of the small sample size as entering that stretch of 22 games they were 69-71.  They parlayed that 22 game stretch into a wild card berth and a successful season.

While anything IS possible, I'll be astounded if the Sox, Yankees or Rays play .800 ball over the remainder of the season. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Yes, the Sox can afford to have a little skid because of the cushion they have built up, but this is not the time of year to do that. I think you want to go into the playoffs playing your best baseball with your confidence at a high level. Better to go in on a roll than playing at half throttle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

A bit more perspective

if RS go 500 That is 10-10 and 95 and 67

The Rays have 24 games that means an 18-6 record just to tie.

The NYY have 20 games left and need 20-0 to tie RS

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yes, the Sox can afford to have a little skid because of the cushion they have built up, but this is not the time of year to do that. I think you want to go into the playoffs playing your best baseball with your confidence at a high level. Better to go in on a roll than playing at half throttle.

[/QUOTE]

Point taken, but it's unrealistic to think they're going to win 18 of their last 20.  They WILL lose a few but the sky WILL NOT be falling. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Point taken, but it's unrealistic to think they're going to win 18 of their last 20.  They WILL lose a few but the sky WILL NOT be falling. 

No, they are not going to win 18 more games. With 20 left, if they play .600 ball (thats pretty good baseball) they will win 12 and lose 8 and finish with 97 wins, a remarkable season, especially when you consider that it would be 28 more wins than last year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Does anyone know when Buccholz is coming back?  

Boston has a three-game lead over the Tigers for the best record in the AL.  It would be nice to get home-field throughout the playoffs.  Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Boston has a three-game lead over the Tigers for the best record in the AL.  It would be nice to get home-field throughout the playoffs.  Laughing

Should be Sept 10 vs the Rays, I think. He pitched yesterday, the 5th, so a normal 4 days of rest would mean the 10th

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Keep looking at that Seattle Tampa series, then the 3 games head to head with Tampa, and this thing could swing very fast. King Felix not Pitching this weekend.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

It's not just a hot streak that we're seeing - the Sox are a better team than they were a month ago.  Jake Peavy is probably our best starter.  Will Middlebrooks and Jon Lester look like the guys we were all afraid to hope they would be at the start of the season.  And on the flip-side, the initial shot of newness and adrenaline you got from guys like Wil Myers and Chris Archer is fading as opponents get a longer look.  

I think at this point, it's OK to start thinking that we may very well be the best team in baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At the mid point of this season, if some said Middlebrooks, Peavy, Gomes and Victorino would be leading the way, what would have been the response?

At the start of the year, had someone said JBJ and Middlebrooks would be sent to the minors, and Buch would be on the shelf for most of the year, who would have thought we'd be where we are today? (Not to mention losing 2 closers and a long slump by Napoli)

Sox4ever

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxdawg08. Show soxdawg08's posts

The key to the Sox success has been their consistency:

*With the exception of May (15-15), they've been over .500 each mo.

*Have not lost more than 3 in a row all season. 

*They've won more series (29) than any team in the AL.

This team, and I mean T-E-A-M, is a far cry from the 2011 "nightmare" version. As such, I don't forsee a skid of any consequence to their taking the division.

Life is what happens while were busy making other plans.

John lennon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

I get all caught up in the emotion of the wining and lossing streaks. The truth is I enjoy the Sox much better when I remind myself to take it one game at a time.  We've still got twenty games to play and a lot can happen. 20 games ago we weren't playing well.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Perspective from my point of view.

The Sox are 85-57, 20 Games remaining

6 vs NYY, 6 vs O's, 3 vs TB, 3 vs Tor, and 2 Vs Col

The Rays are 77-62, 23 Games remaining

3 vs Bos, 3 vs Sea, 3 vs Min, 4 vs Tex, 4 vs the O's , 3 vs NYY, 3 vs Tor

The O's are 74-65, 23 game remaining

3 vs CHW, 4 vs NYY, 6 vs Tor, 6 vs Bos, 4 vs TB 

The Yankees are 75-65, 22 game remaining.

6 vs Bos, 4 vs Balt, 3 vs TB 3 vs Tor, 3 vs SF and 3 vs Hou.

Considering 2 of these teams need to catch us for us to not make the playoffs and they play each other 7 or 8 times, it is nearly impossible for 2 of those teams to go on a run where they win better than 16 games. 16 wins would give the Rays, 93, Baltimore 90 and the Yankees 91, which means we need to win 92 games or 7-13 to assure ourselves of a playoff spot....obviousy we want to avoid the WC game and win the division, but this team has put itslef in a low pressure situation

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

You want perspective?  I'll give you perspective.  The Sox just took 2 of 3 from a good Tigers team, including Lester outpitching Scherzer, and then took a thrilla from manilla at Yankees Stadium from a hot Yankees team.   In September.  I'm sorry, but April wins pale in comparison to September wins.  The Sox are showing a lot of heart right now and a good mixture of pitching and hitting.  The bullpen is on the scary side, granted, but that's their job--adding spice and uncertainty to even a 5 run lead.  My goodness, was I mad. 

The perspective is last night's amazing win makes tonight's game even more watchable, regardless of outcome.  I do not expect the Yankees to roll over.

The perspective is I started an in game thread last night because I got really mad at Peavy (for walking Jeter) and Napoli (for looking at two hanging curves, really fat pitches) and no doubt overreacted.  But September in Yankee stadium can do that when something is at stake. 

There are no statistics or game trends.  Just here and now, every day until the regular season is over. 

Given 2010, 2011, and 2012, right now is a great time to be a Red Sox fan.  Folding is still possible, but so is winning it all.  That's the perspective. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to soxdawg08's comment:

The key to the Sox success has been their consistency:

*With the exception of May (15-15), they've been over .500 each mo.

*Have not lost more than 3 in a row all season. 

*They've won more series (29) than any team in the AL.

This team, and I mean T-E-A-M, is a far cry from the 2011 "nightmare" version. As such, I don't forsee a skid of any consequence to their taking the division.

Life is what happens while were busy making other plans.

John lennon

Well stated.  It's nice to see a bunch of hard working ball players on the field.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

[QUOTE]

Should be Sept 10 vs the Rays, I think. He pitched yesterday, the 5th, so a normal 4 days of rest would mean the 10th

[/QUOTE]

Thank you pumpsie-green   Laughing

If Buccholz comes back and gives us good quality starts then it will help the team a lot.  

Sections
Shortcuts