Darnell McDonald

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

Darnell McDonald

What does this guy bring to the table? It's out after out, do the Sox not have someone in the minors that hits below .200 and like actually do something, like hit homers like Willy Mo Pena, or run like Ellsbury. Why is he playing in so many games?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Darnell McDonald

In Response to Darnell McDonald:
    [QUOTE]What does this guy bring to the table? It's out after out, do the Sox not have someone in the minors that hits below .200 and like actually do something, like hit homers like Willy Mo Pena, or run like Ellsbury. Why is he playing in so many games?
    Posted by tbs2007[/QUOTE]

His OPS since the end of June is .833, which is in line with his career splits against lefties.  Did you know that?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coffee52. Show Coffee52's posts

He just had a great chance in his last at bat and with the bases loaded, but missed a fastball right down the middle of the plate for strike two, and then struck out on a pitch that was out of the strike zone. I don't think he's much of a clutch hitter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Think DMac Ellsbury, Crawford and Reddick or Drew and Cliff Lee and Cole.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Softlaw still has a thread of hope for this game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

So, who do you want to play in RF against lefties?
    Reddick crashed like the Hindenberg, being just a one month flash in the pan.
    He just can't hit with men on. 5 RBI for August!
    Drew will be back soon. Nothing great, but certainly better than his replacements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Darnell McDonald:
    [QUOTE]So, who do you want to play in RF against lefties? Reddick crashed like the Hindenberg, being just a one month flash in the pan. He just can't hit with men on. 5 RBI for August! Drew will be back soon. Nothing great, but certainly better than his replacements.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Reddick's carrer AAA batting average is around 240 in over 700 at bats.  Yet so many people around here thought he was going to keep hitting 350.  Amazing.

Dmac started off horribly but has been playing okay for the last few months.  Not great but okay.  He isn't the solution but he isn't the problem either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

McDonald wasn't the problem tonight, Gonzalez was.  0 for 5, 3 k's, and 5 left on.  He hurt us more than McDonald because AGon bats third and is supposed to be the man.  Lowrie, batting right in front of AGon, had three hits and no prayer of scoring a run, not with AGon, Pedroia, and Ortiz ice cold. 

When the guy batting 9th is lousy, it's hardly a surprising.  But the guy batting 3d? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

that's right rip the AL Player of the Week, who also is the league leader in batting, and oh by the way, leads the Sox in RBI, and oh yeah, happens to be a GG fielder. That's a good point, there, max. Rip the guy who carried the team in Texas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

AGon is the Sox MVP, no question.  But there can also be absolutely no question that tonight his lousy hitting hurt the Sox.  I wouldn't have mentioned it but this thread is all about how McDonald cost the Sox tonight's game.  Not so.  It was weak hitting but AGon, Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Ortiz.  Yes, they have all four done great things, but tonight they were collectively a lot less than great, and that's why the Sox lost.  Heck, Lowrie, batting 2d, had 3 hits and couldn't score or drive in a run because he followed Ellsbury and was followed by AGon.

I'm a huge AGon fan, but even he would be the first to say he did not have a good night.  At Fenway.  Against the Yankees.  In a tight pennant race in August. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

McDonald wasn't the problem tonight, Gonzalez was

Ellsbury left 5 runners on. It was a team effort. Nice to see Crawford have a good game v Lefties. Very important on a team with 3 left feet OF. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think not having Youk in a game like this can be a difference maker.
    He has a .981 OPS vs. southpaws this year. Comparatively speaking, AGONE has an appx. .769 OPS vs. lefties...Ellsbury is at appx. .797.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Darnell McDonald:
    [QUOTE]What does this guy bring to the table? It's out after out, do the Sox not have someone in the minors that hits below .200 and like actually do something, like hit homers like Willy Mo Pena, or run like Ellsbury. Why is he playing in so many games?
    Posted by tbs2007[/QUOTE]

McD brings very little to the table.  Aviles is a much better hitter and should be getting more time in RF so we can use him in the PS.  It appears Theo only traded for Aviles to play SS next season and be our third option off the bench thr remainder of the year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[QUOTE]McDonald wasn't the problem tonight, Gonzalez was.  0 for 5, 3 k's, and 5 left on.  He hurt us more than McDonald because AGon bats third and is supposed to be the man.  Lowrie, batting right in front of AGon, had three hits and no prayer of scoring a run, not with AGon, Pedroia, and Ortiz ice cold.  When the guy batting 9th is lousy, it's hardly a surprising.  But the guy batting 3d? 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

WOW.............. Jed does NOT bat in front of Agon and the "ICE COLD ORTIZ" was 2-4 with a walk!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[QUOTE]AGon is the Sox MVP, no question.  But there can also be absolutely no question that tonight his lousy hitting hurt the Sox.  I wouldn't have mentioned it but this thread is all about how McDonald cost the Sox tonight's game.  Not so.  It was weak hitting but AGon, Ellsbury, Pedroia, and Ortiz.  Yes, they have all four done great things, but tonight they were collectively a lot less than great, and that's why the Sox lost.  Heck, Lowrie, batting 2d, had 3 hits and couldn't score or drive in a run because he followed Ellsbury and was followed by AGon. I'm a huge AGon fan, but even he would be the first to say he did not have a good night.  At Fenway.  Against the Yankees.  In a tight pennant race in August. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Do you watch the games????????????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Darnell McDonald : McD brings very little to the table.  Aviles is a much better hitter and should be getting more time in RF so we can use him in the PS.  It appears Theo only traded for Aviles to play SS next season and be our third option off the bench thr remainder of the year.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Have you watched the games that Aviles plays in the OF?  He misplays balls badly pretty much every time out there.  He doesn't get errors because he runs the wrong way when the balls hit the ground.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darnell McDonald : Have you watched the games that Aviles plays in the OF?  He misplays balls badly pretty much every time out there.  He doesn't get errors because he runs the wrong way when the balls hit the ground.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

snakeoil, I understand why DmC is playing but do you really feel he helps our team enough to play against all lefties?  Thats the bottom line, I'm not saying Aviles is an OF but he hits a heck of a lot better.  Either way we could uses a more consistent RHH in the OF.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darnell McDonald : snakeoil, I understand why DmC is playing but do you really feel he helps our team enough to play against all lefties?  Thats the bottom line, I'm not saying Aviles is an OF but he hits a heck of a lot better.  Either way we could uses a more consistent RHH in the OF.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

No I don't feel that Dmac helps the Red Sox enough but I wasn't trying to be fictitious about Aviles.  Left game he played left a ball hit the bottom of the wall for a double that any outfielder in high school could have caught.  Aviles just doesnt have the instincts out there.  Which isn't his fault.  He hasn't played an inning of outfield since college until a few weeks ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Last pitch was way outside when he had the bases loaded.....lack of at bats causes him to be over anxious in those situations. I could imagine the posts today if he had not swung and was called for a 3rd strike. The Sox had plenty of opportunities to come out with a win last night. Darnell is just a backup outfielder....and that's all he'll ever be. It's strange that this poster failed to mention those 3 pitiful swings Sal took before Darnell came to the plate. Oh...I forgot....this is Boston.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I keep yelling at the trade deadline go and get Hunter Pence, but everyone thought (including theo i guess) Riddick was the answer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]McDonald wasn't the problem tonight, Gonzalez was Ellsbury left 5 runners on. It was a team effort. Nice to see Crawford have a good game v Lefties. Very important on a team with 3 left feet OF. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

You forgot Salty, he left 7 on. I'm sure it was just an oversight.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Gotta love the guy quoted by Dirt Dogs, that he'd rather see Reddick play full time instead of McDonald.
    Let's consider this: In August they both have a mere 5 RBI, but Reddick has 74 at bats to 41 for McDonald.
    Since the All-Star game Reddick had hit .229 with 11 RBI in 131 at bats.
    McDonald has two fewer RBI but has hit .264 in only 53 at bats.
    Clearly McDonald has equaled Reddick's measly production with far less at bats, while hitting at 35 points higher.
    Tito knows these stats, which is why Reddick hits 9th and only plays vs. right handed pitchers.
    Some posters still mythicize Reddick based upon his July fluke hitting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darnell McDonald : You forgot Salty, he left 7 on. I'm sure it was just an oversight.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Lots of oversights in what I wrote, including Salty's 7 LOB.  So, while I regret giving Ortiz too little credit, I don't regret defending McDonald or attacking the the OP.  The Sox had 13 hits and a bunch of walks, but only scored 2 runs in large part because the "big four" (Ellsbury, AGon, Pedroia, and Ortiz) drove in no runs and I think scored no runs.  And the heart of the lineup, AGon, went 0 for 5 with 3 K's, etc.  Given those facts, I don't understand why a separate thread should be devoted to blaming last night's loss on the guy batting 9th.  Since when is the 9th hitter expected to deliver the goods when the guys with the big OPS's can't? 

And, while I think AGon's bad night was a big part of the low-scoring problem, I, like practically every Sox fan, think he has been great all season long.  He is the team MVP beyond a doubt.  He just had one of those nights in part because he was batting lefty against a very good lefty starter, Sabathia, who this time managed to hold the Sox scoring down.  Last night Sabathia owned AGon.  It happens.  AGon will no doubt shrug it off and drive on, which is great.

McDonald is what he is, a part-timer, a righty bat who can get a hit occasionally and whose defense and arm aren't half-bad.  Against a good lefty starter like Sabathia, he is probably a better bet than Reddick and in fact did get a hit last night.  I would love to see Reddick play full time, but right now he doesn't look like he is up to it, at least not at the plate and especially not against lefties like Sabathia.   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]McDonald wasn't the problem tonight, Gonzalez was Ellsbury left 5 runners on. It was a team effort. Nice to see Crawford have a good game v Lefties. Very important on a team with 3 left feet OF. 
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

You just can't help taking a shot at Ells., EVEN when you are ABSOLUTELY DEMONSTRABLY WRONG!!!!

You have NO PROBLEM braking you own self appointed Cardinal Rule!  You take to the SMALL SAMPLE just as you take to race baiting & demagoguery!

SCORING POSITION

Batting
    NAMEGPABRH2B3BHRRBITBBBSOSBCSBAOBPSLGOPS
    Drew Sutton1516116200681500.375.412.500.912
    Jacoby Ellsbury1079774338155958121191.340.409.5981.007
    Adrian Gonzalez111159585412037475253310.340.418.472.890
    Yamaico Navarro101244100250300.333.333.417.750
    Kevin Youkilis94128504010186176223020.313.429.5941.022
    Dustin Pedroia10812059379025252281780.308.422.433.855
    Mike Aviles12772000120010.286.250.286.536
    Ryan Lavarnway5732000120200.286.286.286.571
    David Ortiz9412348357075763242500.285.399.512.911
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia68803222614334283000.275.344.525.869
    Josh Reddick46502413600171961211.260.317.380.697
    Carl Crawford851154129223384461711.252.286.383.668
    Darnell McDonald3937169211131641000.243.326.432.758
    Jason Varitek45581714212192472100.241.343.414.757
    Marco Scutaro65753217500242251410.227.277.293.570
    Jed Lowrie57672614400201851500.209.253.269.522
    J.D. Drew576419121011816131800.188.313.250.563
    Mike Cameron202563100645800.120.250.160.410

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

NUTS!   It didn't fit SLG  OBP   OPS   :(