Darvish

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Darvish

Texas Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish threw a gem against the Yankees tonight. Well pitched 119 pitches and looked real sharp. He is 3-0 this year. Much more economical than Dice K. He K'd 10and is not a power nibbler.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Darvish

I hate to admit it, I was expecting Dice K to be like Tom Seaver when he first came here. I guess I got caught ip in the hype. I always expected a lot more and was never confident after that. Even against Cleveland in the 2007 playoffs I was expecting him to implode any minute in that game and was ready to go back to cigarette smoking watching him pitch. response to "Re: Darvish": [QUOTE]Nice OP until the fourth sentence but I was expecting it. Posted by Firefligh2008[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He was a gamble that seems to have paid off so far. Let's wait to judge after a larger sample size and the second and third time facing some teams.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbs2007. Show tbs2007's posts

It's Yu, not Hugh.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought it was about Yu Hefner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

This guy is a Clemens type power pitcher with 4 great pitches. His body is built to last, (much unlike the typical Japanese pitcher), and I said we should look at him for 2 reasons: His physique and Bobby's Japanese back ground possibly helping smooth his transition here. I think he's going to be a top 15 AL pitcher for years to come. Why didn't we look at him again? Oh yeah! Theo's buffoonery had us tied in fiscal knots.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Darvish:
    [QUOTE]Texas Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish threw a gem against the Yankees tonight. Well pitched 119 pitches and looked real sharp. He is 3-0 this year. Much more economical than Dice K. He K'd 10and is not a power nibbler.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

yup. trumped sox to get him all offseason.
    everyone said, ha! hes japanese. no thanks. japanese pitchers are no good (generally speaking)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Darvish:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Darvish : yup. trumped sox to get him all offseason. everyone said, ha! hes japanese. no thanks. japanese pitchers are no good (generally speaking)
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Not everyone.  This kid's making $9M on the CBT for the next 6 years.  We could easily afford him and should have done it.  The posting fee would have paid for itself in royalties.  It was a no-brainer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya gotta agree with slomag, i too was an advocate of the sox signing darvish in the offseason. he made sense for so many reasons and chances are had the sox signed him they would not be 6-10 right now.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Should we cancel this thread about Yu Darvish or move it to the "Hate Theo Forum?" Should our Yankee fans here echo the buffoonery of Cashman and bash him here also? Why not, this is now their forum? Looks like both the Sox and Yanks were insolvent enough to not be able to sign Darvish, how foolish of their GMs. Both Henry and Steinbrenner should both fire their GMs. Which owner do we blame more - the one with 80 percent greater revenues or the other?
    Posted by Firefligh2008[/QUOTE]

Why don't you cancel your boring, patronising Pikery?  Perhaps we should start a "Hate Pike Forum"?  Oh, wait, we already have one and are posting on it now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]This guy is a Clemens type power pitcher with 4 great pitches. His body is built to last, (much unlike the typical Japanese pitcher), and I said we should look at him for 2 reasons: His physique and Bobby's Japanese back ground possibly helping smooth his transition here. I think he's going to be a top 15 AL pitcher for years to come. Why didn't we look at him again? Oh yeah! Theo's buffoonery had us tied in fiscal knots.
    Posted by Teakus[/QUOTE]

6' 5" 215 Darvish (not Japanese, of course, mixed race, fwiw)
    6' 0" 185 Matsuzaka
    5' 11" 170 Martinez
    6' 1" 210 "Pride of the Yankees" Igawa
    6' 1" 195 Seaver
    6' 2" 210 Nomo
    6' 0" 180 Murakami
    6' 2" 200 Saito
    5' 7" 165 Collins (still hope for Babe)
    6' 0" 185 Moyer (still hope for me)
    6' 1" 185 Pinky Higgins (still hope for Softlaw)
    5' 11" 175 Lincecum
    6' 1" 205 Kuroda
    6' 4" 240 Irabu
    3' 7" 65 Gaedel
    6' 3" 190 Palmer
    6' 0" 170 Maddux, G. (a.k.a. the good one)
    6' 2" 180 Maddux, M. (a.k.a. the big one)
    6' 1" 195 (crafty little) Okajima

;-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

While get why (though I don't understand why) many among us feel the need to draw comparison between Darvish and every other pitcher born in Japan. He not unlike every athlete regardless of ethnicity owe thier success to his coaches, his god given talant bestowed upon him at birth and the work ethic he inherated from his parents.

News flash....The kid has the stuff to be a very good ML pitcher. Time will tell, if once the league gets a good look at him (typically after 10 starts or so). If his stuff will translate into long term success...Yesterday the book on him was to go soft when he was ahead in the count. Where he used his splitter as an outpitch...From what I saw he has a decent fastball (94) which he commanded down in the zone, on the outer half to both side of the plate. As with most games the guy behind the plate also plays a role both he and Kuroda benefitted from a wide strike zone espcially away to the lefties.

End of the day, if can continue to pitch as he did last night the sky's the limit and every other team not named Texas can lamment passing on him or not being aggressive and stepping up with a bid the owners of his team in Japan couldn't refuse...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

What I thought was impressive was how well he was still in command of all his pitches after 100 pitches thrown. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]While get why (though I don't understand why) many among us feel the need to draw comparison between Darvish and every other pitcher born in Japan. He not unlike every athlete regardless of ethnicity owe thier success to his coaches, his god given talant bestowed upon him at birth and the work ethic he inherated from his parents. News flash....The kid has the stuff to be a very good ML pitcher. Time will tell, if once the league gets a good look at him (typically after 10 starts or so). If his stuff will translate into long term success...Yesterday the book on him was to go soft when he was ahead in the count. Where he used his splitter as an outpitch...From what I saw he has a decent fastball (94) which he commanded down in the zone, on the outer half to both side of the plate. As with most games the guy behind the plate also plays a role both he and Kuroda benefitted from a wide strike zone espcially away to the lefties. End of the day, if can continue to pitch as he did last night the sky's the limit and every other team not named Texas can lamment passing on him or not being aggressive and stepping up with a bid the owners of his team in Japan couldn't refuse...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.  I think it's less racist than lazy though....why form an opinion on a guy when you already have an opinion on what guys that look like him, or are from the same place, are like?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Darvish:
    [QUOTE]Texas Rangers pitcher Yu Darvish threw a gem against the Yankees tonight. Well pitched 119 pitches and looked real sharp. He is 3-0 this year. Much more economical than Dice K. He K'd 10and is not a power nibbler.
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Dice-K wasn't bad for first two years in MLB either, was he?
    Especially, his 2nd year was almost as good as a cy award winner. 
    Don't get too excited about Darvish... He's a Ranger..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

His 12 - 6 curveball in the early going was nasty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]His 12 - 6 curveball in the early going was nasty.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I think Buch has the best 12-6 curveball.. personally speaking..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Darvish : I think Buch has the best 12-6 curveball.. personally speaking..
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Buch has a pretty good curve...The difference is that the Yankees couldn't hit Darvish's curve. He dominated the Yankees last nite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well, if Buch's is better, then he better start using it more because the las time I saw him pitch, there were more launches then cruise missles off a destroyer.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Not surprising that Darvish is off to an impressive start to his big league career.  A number of good Asian pitchers got off to very good starts at the beginning of their careers.  Names that come to mind off the top are Hideo Nomo, Chan Ho Park, Daisuke Matzusaka and Chien Ming Wang.  Kuroda is different in the sense that he was much more experienced and further along in his career.  Give Darvish a couple of years to see what he really is although the very early evidence suggests that he has the "potential" to be a consistent top of the rotation stater eventually. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Matsuzaka K'd 10 in his first start and had numerous games where he pitched like an ace.  In all of his starts prior to the Yankees game Darvish's box score looked exactly like a "bad Dice" game with high early pitch counts, a lot of 3 ball counts and walks.  Bit of a small sample size to claim that Darvish isn't like Dice.  His raw stuff might be better, but he still needs to demonstrate some more consistency with his command.

Sections
Shortcuts