Dave Magadan leaves Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Dave Magadan leaves Red Sox

The Texas Rangers hired Magadan as their hitting coach Friday. He had a club option remaining on his contract but was given permission to speak with other clubs. DM had been the Sox hitting coach since 2006

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Dave Magadan leaves Red Sox

Part of the problem with trying to run a scam for 3 weeks interviewing managers, so that we can go back after the guy that we already made up our mind on.  Had we simply signed any of the qualified candidates we already interviewed, then that guy would be in a position to give Magadan a job or not.  Guys like Magadan don't make enough that they can take a chance on being fired.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

you are so negative Joe.... hater!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

They were fine after Easler left and then Jackson. They'll be just fine w/out Magadan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you are so negative Joe.... hater!

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but I'm with Geo (wait, need to re-boot).  This looks identical to last year's process.  First, let's make up our mind.  Second, interview guys we have no intention of signing.  Third, wait all off-season to sign the guy we decided on month's ago.  Fourth, have Larry introduce as the right guy at the right time, just like the last disaster.  Fifth, say it was BC's decision next year if it blows up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I cannot say I think otherwise... as I said yesterday the present FO is causing me to question just how much I care what happens. They are leaving a bad taste.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I will withhold judgments until they make an actual decision, but I would like it if they put me in a position to judge something ASAP...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I thought Magadan did a pretty good job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wonder if the Sox decision to let Magadan talk to other clubs is an indication that any new manager hired will be allowed to hire his own coaches...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I think that Magadan wanted to get paid, the Sox didn't walk to pay him so they said go see what is out here. If he didn't find any a better offer he and the Sox would have been happy with the contract option.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

I think what it means is that the Sox have already decided on Farrell (unfortunately) and he is bringing his guy from Toronto. We can be just like the Jays now...oh wait..we are

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

meh...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I wonder if the Sox decision to let Magadan talk to other clubs is an indication that any new manager hired will be allowed to hire his own coaches...

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hi Notin, 

Despite all the negativity going around I'm with you on this one but another plausible explanation is that Madagan might have been seeking a raise or wanted a shot at the Manager's position and the Sox simply were not willing to go any higher and received an offer he couldn't refuse from the Rangers. One cannot also ignore the fact that the Red Sox FO is in disarray and Madagan might have gotten tired of the three ring circus seeking a more stable climate to work in. There are endless possibilities and we could speculate for ever but the point is he's gone. I wish him the best just hoping the next manager, hopefully not Farrel brings in a hitting coach as capable as Madagan.

Hetch     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to judy2006's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think what it means is that the Sox have already decided on Farrell (unfortunately) and he is bringing his guy from Toronto. We can be just like the Jays now...oh wait..we are

[/QUOTE]

Not sure who the hitting coach was in Toronto and I'm not all that knowledgeable about Toronto's lineup but if the team batting average of .245 is any indication then I hope not, but I'm also not in favor of Farrel. 

Hetch

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hi Notin, 

Despite all the negativity going around I'm with you on this one but another plausible explanation is that Madagan might have been seeking a raise or wanted a shot at the Manager's position and the Sox simply were not willing to go any higher and received an offer he couldn't refuse from the Rangers. One cannot also ignore the fact that the Red Sox FO is in disarray and Madagan might have gotten tired of the three ring circus seeking a more stable climate to work in. There are endless possibilities and we could speculate for ever but the point is he's gone. I wish him the best just hoping the next manager, hopefully not Farrel brings in a hitting coach as capable as Madagan.

Hetch     

[/QUOTE]

But this was a lateral move, and the Soxcould have denied Magadan zany chance to even talk to the Rangers before any offer was made.

They let him talk, and only about a hitting coach position, not a manager or higher.  This might actually mean the new guy gets to bring in his own people.  Might.

Hopefully at some point this adminstration learns from a mistake...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

But this was a lateral move, and the Soxcould have denied Magadan zany chance to even talk to the Rangers before any offer was made.

I realize it was a lateral move but in the same tone the Sox are seeking to talk to another club's manager the Sox very well couldn't deny another club the right to talk to Madagan without coming off as two faced to Madagan. Once more Texas might be offering a substantial raise as part of the deal. Plus if Madagan might have been unhappy here I'm sure the Sox would not want another unhappy coach which may only blow up in the new Manager's face.   

This might actually mean the new guy gets to bring in his own people. 

Most likely that's what it does mean. 

Whether this actually happens remains to be seen. Hate to be blunt but if Farrels brought in I'll probably be watching to Brewers next year here in Milwaukee waiting until Henry either sells the team or hires a completely new FO.  Cherington might do a reasonable job by himself but with Lucchino's medling it will probably be more of the same.  

Hetch

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you.  Whoever the Red Sox hire needs to be able to hire their own coaches.  That was just one of the many problems that Valentine had.  He was never allowed to hire his own personnel and therefore this made it even more difficult for him. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I cannot recall a time (until now) in my life where I actually started to not care about the team and held spite towards the FO and a number of players.... nota good feeling.

I think trading AGon to get rid of Beckett and Crawford was a good idea, hated to see him go. NowIt now seems he may have been part of the problem.

Bringing in Farrell seems like trying to re-capture the spirit of an old friendship that ended long ago... more of the same. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

I realize it was a lateral move but in the same tone the Sox are seeking to talk to another club's manager the Sox very well couldn't deny another club the right to talk to Madagan without coming off as two faced to Madagan. Once more Texas might be offering a substantial raise as part of the deal. Plus if Madagan might have been unhappy here I'm sure the Sox would not want another unhappy coach which may only blow up in the new Manager's face.   

Whether this actually happens remains to be seen. Hate to be blunt but if Farrels brought in I'll probably be watching to Brewers next year here in Milwaukee waiting until Henry either sells the team or hires a completely new FO.  Cherington might do a reasonable job by himself but with Lucchino's medling it will probably be more of the same.  

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe I'll see you at Summerfest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

Sorry you wont be with us in 2013, but Farrell was hired tonight...I hope you were just speaking out of anger. He wasnt my 1st choice but now that its done I will support this team like I always do. though maybe not financially until I see different changes...