David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

Here's a quote and link to read the whole article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/david-ortiz-defends-rod-says-dempster-plunking-him-140359245.html

"I didn't like it. I don't think it was the right thing to do,'' Ortiz told USA TODAY Sports. "But we don't all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy. It's not that I didn't think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone's on their own.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/david-ortiz-defends-rod-says-dempster-plunking-him-140359245.html

"I didn't like it. I don't think it was the right thing to do,'' Ortiz told USA TODAY Sports. "But we don't all think alike, and the guy who did it, Dempster, is a great guy. It's not that I didn't think it was right because Alex and I are friends, because once you cross the white lines, everyone's on their own.

The guy is entitled to his opinion.

Not the smartest thing he's ever said, but I doubt Dempster is surprised by it.

Could be a little CYA,  before Ortiz gets in the batters box at the Stadium. Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

probably shouldn't have saida anything...though i'm sure he was asked, likely had to walk a fine line to answer it...with his friendship with Alex weighed against not appearing to knock a teammate...end of the day...it's just his opinion...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

While I agree completely with what  he said, it was unwise to say it publicly. Gotta keep that stuff in the locker room.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

While I agree completely with what  he said, it was unwise to say it publicly. Gotta keep that stuff in the locker room.

This may be the dumbest thing that's been done in this whole fracas.  Decidedly dumber than plunking ARod. 

Nothing good is going to come of his staying this.  If you can't support what your team members do you keep your mouth shut.  Now we have a "clubhouse controversy", exactly what we need with 35-40 games to go. NOT.

As Thumper's mother said, "If you can't say something nice don't say anything." 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This may be the dumbest thing that's been done in this whole fracas.  Decidedly dumber than plunking ARod. 

Nothing good is going to come of his staying this.  If you can't support what your team members do you keep your mouth shut.  Now we have a "clubhouse controversy", exactly what we need with 35-40 games to go. NOT.

Thumper's mother from Bambi? She was  wise.

Have I mentioned how I love your avatar?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Im happy he said it. good for you david!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Thumper's mother from Bambi? She was  wise.

Have I mentioned how I love your avatar?

Yup.  From Bambi. 

"All I really need to know I learned in kindergarten"

And thanks for the nice comment.  He's my all-time favorite player, VERY closely followed by Mike Lowell.  Two guys who "Played the game the right way". 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

He's my all-time favorite player, VERY closely followed by Mike Lowell.  Two guys who "Played the game the right way". 

I'm with you. Lowell was here only five years, but he's definitely one of my favorites. Like Dewey, he played it the right way. And their numbers were  only one off.

Can't remember if I told you, but one of my Christmas presents from Mrs. Dobler was an authentic Evans jersey. She was originally upset that his name wasn't on the back, but I pointed out to her that they don't have names on their home jerseys. (So, unfortunately, everyone thinks it's a Manny jersey).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

He's my all-time favorite player, VERY closely followed by Mike Lowell.  Two guys who "Played the game the right way". 

I'm with you. Lowell was here only five years, but he's definitely one of my favorites. Like Dewey, he played it the right way. And their numbers were  only one off.

Can't remember if I told you, but one of my Christmas presents from Mrs. Dobler was an authentic Evans jersey. She was originally upset that his name wasn't on the back, but I pointed out to her that they don't have names on their home jerseys. (So, unfortunately, everyone thinks it's a Manny jersey).

you're welcome...we(NYY) raised a fine young man Tongue OutWink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

So what !!! Do you think maybe Jeter loved it ? Whats your point? Some liked it ,some didn't like it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Please!

I'm trying to eat lunch here!

Tongue Out

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i agree with BBBB...CYA.

also:  domincan blood.  even though iirc arod was born in the states, the heritage is strong with getting each others backs.

agree with all....shouldve said "no comment"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

As many of you have pointed out, he is entitled to his opinion. 

That being said, his opinions over the last few days make him sound like a whiney, prima donna punk who doesn't support his teammates.  That is MY opinion.

I love this 2013 Red Sox team.  They play the game the right way, are scrappy, and seem to genuinely like one another.  And there is one voice that is still complaining and trying to stir up trouble.  I just hope that the Sox can end the season well and put this distraction aside.

I can also PROMISE you that Ortiz will start talking about a contract extension on the FIRST DAY of spring training.  If they do not move him over the winter, it will be an issue in all of 2014.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

No one ever claimed he was smart

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't have a huge problem with what he said. Sure, it might have been better had he not said anything, but he was quick to call Dempster a great guy, which tells me that while he might not agree with what Dempster did, there are no problems between them.

Contrary to the views of many on this board, it is possible to disagree with another's actions yet still be OK with them overall.

The real problem with the comment is that it gives fodder to fans and talk shows to stir things up and make it a bigger issue than it really is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Please!

I'm trying to eat lunch here!

Tongue Out

YellLaughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I don't have a huge problem with what he said. Sure, it might have been better had he not said anything, but he was quick to call Dempster a great guy, which tells me that while he might not agree with what Dempster did, there are no problems between them.

Contrary to the views of many on this board, it is possible to disagree with another's actions yet still be OK with them overall.

The real problem with the comment is that it gives fodder to fans and talk shows to stir things up and make it a bigger issue than it really is.

I agree.

Ortiz doesn't seem to get how these things can blow up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

this is why he should have said "no comment" 1million percent.  he has been around long enough to know better.  especially yanks-sox.  especially arod.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

this is why he should have said "no comment" 1million percent.  he has been around long enough to know better.  especially yanks-sox.  especially arod.

Exactly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is just one more reason it was an idiotic move by Dempster.  It was inevitable there would be fallout like this.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

At the risk of sounding blasphemous I've got to say that some of Mr. Ortiz's off-field actions are wearing a bit thin with me.

Two years ago he burst into Tito's office at an inappropriate time to complain about..what? ONE RBI??

Then there's the phone incident in Baltimore this year.

And now this mess.  What is this guy thinking??  He's getting paid a lot of money to act in the best interests of the Boston Red Sox baseball club.  So which of those things is in the best interest of the club?

What he SHOULD have done when Arod asked to talk to him is what any thinking person would have done.  He should have said,

"Alex, are you crazy???  I can't talk to you now in the middle of this!  H-ll man, I can't even be SEEN with you without creating a controversy and damaging my own reputation.  You've got my number.  If you want to talk, call me".

I certainly appreciate what Ortiz has done for the club and I've given him a free pass on everything up until now, but what he did 9 years ago doesn't buy him that pass forever.  He seems to be a guy who is beginning to think he's bigger than the Boston Red Sox.

I'm beginning to see that while there may not be an "I" in TEAM, there certainly is one in ORTIZ.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Ortiz should have kept his mouth shut and backed his teammate.  He has an opinion but he should keep it to himself.  He is part of a team so he should support his team not a rival.

Ortiz is having a bad year, the boston thing, the phone and now this.  The guy should lay low for a while.

Both he and arod are disputing punishments from mlb. Birds of a feather.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

The guy is entitled to his opinion.

Not the smartest thing he's ever said, but I doubt Dempster is surprised by it.

Could be a little CYA,  before Ortiz gets in the batters box at the Stadium. Wink

I thought of that too.

Sections
Shortcuts