David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

At the risk of sounding blasphemous I've got to say that some of Mr. Ortiz's off-field actions are wearing a bit thin with me.

Two years ago he burst into Tito's office at an inappropriate time to complain about..what? ONE RBI??

Then there's the phone incident in Baltimore this year.

And now this mess. What is this guy thinking?? He's getting paid a lot of money to act in the best interests of the Boston Red Sox baseball club. So which of those things is in the best interest of the club?

What he SHOULD have done when Arod asked to talk to him is what any thinking person would have done. He should have said,

"Alex, are you crazy??? I can't talk to you now in the middle of this! H-ll man, I can't even be SEEN with you without creating a controversy and damaging my own reputation. You've got my number. If you want to talk, call me".

I certainly appreciate what Ortiz has done for the club and I've given him a free pass on everything up until now, but what he did 9 years ago doesn't buy him that pass forever. He seems to be a guy who is beginning to think he's bigger than the Boston Red Sox.

I'm beginning to see that while there may not be an "I" in TEAM, there certainly is one in ORTIZ.

You forgot to mention the incessant complaining about the travel schedule.  Farrell asked them not to comment on what was clearly a difficult travel time, but Ortiz couldn't help himself.  So far we have the phone thing a few weeks ago (which was a disgrace and very dangerous, IMO), the complaining about the travel and now dissing his teammate.  It seems that the wheels have come off the track.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

Ortiz should have kept his mouth shut and backed his teammate.  He has an opinion but he should keep it to himself.  He is part of a team so he should support his team not a rival.

Ortiz is having a bad year, the boston thing, the phone and now this.  The guy should lay low for a while.

Both he and arod are disputing punishments from mlb. Birds of a feather.

Huh? Check his numbers again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Ortiz should have kept his mouth shut and backed his teammate.  He has an opinion but he should keep it to himself.  He is part of a team so he should support his team not a rival.

Ortiz is having a bad year, the boston thing, the phone and now this.  The guy should lay low for a while.

I didn't mean on the field but off the field.  He should lay low, stop breaking things, swearing in front of thousands of kids and he should back his teammates.

The last thing the sox need is friction in the clubhouse so ortiz needs to cool it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I didn't mean on the field but off the field.  He should lay low, stop breaking things, swearing in front of thousands of kids and he should back his teammates.

The last thing the sox need is friction in the clubhouse so ortiz needs to cool it.

Oh. I stand corrected.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to Bigpapa1977's comment:

At the risk of sounding blasphemous I've got to say that some of Mr. Ortiz's off-field actions are wearing a bit thin with me.

Two years ago he burst into Tito's office at an inappropriate time to complain about..what? ONE RBI??

Then there's the phone incident in Baltimore this year.

And now this mess. What is this guy thinking?? He's getting paid a lot of money to act in the best interests of the Boston Red Sox baseball club. So which of those things is in the best interest of the club?

What he SHOULD have done when Arod asked to talk to him is what any thinking person would have done. He should have said,

"Alex, are you crazy??? I can't talk to you now in the middle of this! H-ll man, I can't even be SEEN with you without creating a controversy and damaging my own reputation. You've got my number. If you want to talk, call me".

I certainly appreciate what Ortiz has done for the club and I've given him a free pass on everything up until now, but what he did 9 years ago doesn't buy him that pass forever. He seems to be a guy who is beginning to think he's bigger than the Boston Red Sox.

I'm beginning to see that while there may not be an "I" in TEAM, there certainly is one in ORTIZ.

You forgot to mention the incessant complaining about the travel schedule.  Farrell asked them not to comment on what was clearly a difficult travel time, but Ortiz couldn't help himself.  So far we have the phone thing a few weeks ago (which was a disgrace and very dangerous, IMO), the complaining about the travel and now dissing his teammate.  It seems that the wheels have come off the track.

I agree with everything in these two posts, thanks for having the courage to speak the truth.  The guy has become so full of himself.  It's too bad, I used to like him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Oh. I stand corrected.

Sorry, it wasn't a well constructed sentence.  I can see how you would think that I thought he was having a bad year on the field! 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not really fair to equate Ortiz's disputing a fine for smashing a telephone to A-Rod's disputing a 211-game suspension for PED use and obstruction of the Biogenesis investigation.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

He's a legend in his own mind; still want him in the heart of the red sox order though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Not really fair to equate Ortiz's disputing a fine for smashing a telephone to A-Rod's disputing a 211-game suspension for PED use and obstruction of the Biogenesis investigation.

+1; it's not even close

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

While I agree completely with what  he said, it was unwise to say it publicly. Gotta keep that stuff in the locker room.

+1

I know it's dumb and not a soul believes it in this case, but the old "The ball just got away from him" explanation would at least have given him a way to avoid sounding like he was siding with A-Rod over his teammate, which is exactly how this looks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I'm comparing their attitudes.  They both want to break the rules but don't want to be punished.

Granted the 'crimes' are very different as is the punishment but their smug attitudes are the same.

What ever happened to 'take it like a man'  They both did something wrong and they should show some remorse but they are being smug and that hurts their teams. 

They care about themselves over their teams, to me they are similar in many ways.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

He's a legend in his own mind; still want him in the heart of the red sox order though.

LOL, good one!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think I would be careful defending ARod--perhaps they will publish those numbers that you have been harping about for several years. I hope some of the other Union guys don't take offense and remind you Dempster was acting on behalf of the union because  ARod called out Cervelli and Braun and God only knows who else he 's ratted on.

Looking for that next contract after next season---the Yankees may be looking for a DH by then---although ARod may be ready to step into the DH role.

Will ARod have to face random testing while he is under suspension--if or when he ever serves his suspesion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I don't have a huge problem with what he said. Sure, it might have been better had he not said anything, but he was quick to call Dempster a great guy, which tells me that while he might not agree with what Dempster did, there are no problems between them.

Contrary to the views of many on this board, it is possible to disagree with another's actions yet still be OK with them overall.

The real problem with the comment is that it gives fodder to fans and talk shows to stir things up and make it a bigger issue than it really is.

This is what Ive been saying about all this. maybe not the smartest move to tell the media, who will obviously twist it in a negative way, but doesnt mean hes stabbing his teammate in the back.b papi referred to Dempster as a great guy and teammate as well, but that part will get ignored.

For all we know he couldve already talked to Dempster and told him he disagreed with the move. Either way, I respect his opinion and honesty, but probably should have said no comment.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I think I would be careful defending ARod--perhaps they will publish those numbers that you have been harping about for several years. I hope some of the other Union guys don't take offense and remind you Dempster was acting on behalf of the union because  ARod called out Cervelli and Braun and God only knows who else he 's ratted on.

Looking for that next contract after next season---the Yankees may be looking for a DH by then---although ARod may be ready to step into the DH role.

Will ARod have to face random testing while he is under suspension--if or when he ever serves his suspesion.

Is the bold faced part of your post a quote from somewhere, if so then where?  Thanks.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm comparing their attitudes.  They both want to break the rules but don't want to be punished.

Granted the 'crimes' are very different as is the punishment but their smug attitudes are the same.

What ever happened to 'take it like a man'  They both did something wrong and they should show some remorse but they are being smug and that hurts their teams. 

They care about themselves over their teams, to me they are similar in many ways.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

He's a legend because of what he has done during his redsox career. No Ortiz no ring in 2004 and don't you ever forget it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Dempsey was wrong--bad idea--but Ortiz should not have gone public and risked trouble in the clubhouse.  That said, I do not think this is a big deaL.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

He's a legend because of what he has done during his redsox career. No Ortiz no ring in 2004 and don't you ever forget it. 

So was Schilling. That hasn't stopped anybody

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Im very happy to see Ortiz do what he did. We live in a society full of hatred and jealously. I like that Ortiz sticks up for a guy which the whole world is ganging up against. It makes me have even more respect for him. GO ORTIZ!

Sections
Shortcuts