David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: David Ortiz calls Arod plunking wrong

In response to jackbu's comment:

Well, it seems Lackey was in agreement with Dempster.  Time will tell.  If Ortiz and the team blow over the dodgers then all is fine. 

Lackey just said A-Rod shouldn't be  playing. Unless I missed it,  which is always possible, he never said anything about plunking him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

When players don't back each other up, problems start.  It is better to just say no comment. 

Oh, I completely agree that he shouldn't have said it. But I also believe he said what every other player in the clubhouse except Dempster was thinking.

I don't know what the dugout was thinking at the moment but it was pretty evident what the fans were thinking.  IIRC it was about 35,000 of them standing, cheering, and applauding.

In retrospect I agree that it was a stupid thing to do, but at the same time I'm glad he did it. I'm glad that someone had the ka's to make a statement.  Arod is a disgrace to himself and a disgrace to baseball and that was the message that was clearly sent to him by a person who respects the game.  I just hope it doesn't cost us a position in the playoffs. 

Players have been intentionally hit for years to make a statement.  This was no different.  If Dempster wanted to do real harm he'd have thrown higher - but he didn't.  It was a clean, intentional hit - if there is such a thing.

This whole thing has been completely been overblown because it's ARod and because it's the Yankees - exactly what ARod and the Yankees want.  Attention.     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I don't know what the dugout was thinking at the moment but it was pretty evident what the fans were thinking.  IIRC it was about 35,000 of them standing, cheering, and applauding.

In retrospect I agree that it was a stupid thing to do, but at the same time I'm glad he did it. I'm glad that someone had the ka's to make a statement.  Arod is a disgrace to himself and a disgrace to baseball and that was the message that was clearly sent to him by a person who respects the game.  I just hope it doesn't cost us a position in the playoffs. 

Players have been intentionally hit for years to make a statement.  This was no different.  If Dempster wanted to do real harm he'd have thrown higher - but he didn't.  It was a clean, intentional hit - if there is such a thing.

This whole thing has been completely been overblown because it's ARod and because it's the Yankees - exactly what ARod and the Yankees want.  Attention.     

I'm guessing the hitters were saying, "Oh, great, wonder if I'm going to be the retaliation." I understand what you're saying, S5, and A-Rod is most definitely a jerk (I tried another word,  but censors wouldn't allow). But he had done nothing specifically to us. First  time I  recall a guy getting hit who didn't do something specifically to the opponent.

I know it's a part of baseball, but I've always found it to be gutless, especially in the American League. Seems to me the best way to say 'F--- you' to A-Fraud would be  blowing three pitches right by him and making him look  like an idiot. Of course, Dempster couldn't do that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

David Lennon - Newsday, Mets Writer

Manager Joe Maddon on AROD in Dempster aftermath: "Don’t take out your own personal belief system against one person. Go play the game. Do your job.”

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

David Lennon - Newsday, Mets Writer

Manager Joe Maddon on AROD in Dempster aftermath: "Don’t take out your own personal belief system against one person. Go play the game. Do your job.”

More wisdom from The Goofy Genius

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm guessing the hitters were saying, "Oh, great, wonder if I'm going to be the retaliation." I understand what you're saying, S5, and A-Rod is most definitely a jerk (I tried another word,  but censors wouldn't allow). But he had done nothing specifically to us. First  time I  recall a guy getting hit who didn't do something specifically to the opponent.

I know it's a part of baseball, but I've always found it to be gutless, especially in the American League. Seems to me the best way to say 'F--- you' to A-Fraud would be  blowing three pitches right by him and making him look  like an idiot. Of course, Dempster couldn't do that.

I have this feeling that you and I are not going to agree on this.  Smile

To say that he's done nothing specifically against the Sox may or may not be true.  That HR he hit, for example, was hit with a steroid enhanced body, as was everything else he did for the past ?? years.

These guys who have "used" have made a mockery of the game and of the players they play against, and Dempster sent ARod a clear message that for at least one player (Dempster) this is now not "business as usual". 

To editorialize a bit (please forgive me), I fear that we've become too much a nation of "If it doesn't bother ME it's ok".  What's happened to right and wrong?  What's happened to standing by one another?  When we see something happening that we believe is patently WRONG don't we have an obligation to at least say something??  Or make a statement of some kind?  The last time I was in NYC I saw posters in the subways saying, "If you see something, say something".  My immediate thought was to ask WHY a person has to be encouraged to do that. 

:::climbing down off the soapbox now::

Ryan Dempster saw something that he (and nearly everyone) believed was patently wrong and he made a statement.  He made that statement in the way that's been accepted in baseball since baseball was invented, and I applaud him for it.  Now he has to pay a penatly for it and that's fine with me, and I think probably it is with him too. 

And BTW, I couldn't BELIEVE he didn't get ejected on the spot! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Ryan Dempster saw something that he (and nearly everyone) believed was patently wrong and he made a statement. He made that statement in the way that's been accepted in baseball since baseball was invented, and I applaud him for it. Now he has to pay a penatly for it and that's fine with me, and I think probably it is with him too.

made a statement

my question is

what statement did he make when he was a union rep

He made that statement in the way that's been accepted in baseball since baseball was invented

do you have any other examples of a player getting thrown at for off the field actions

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I have this feeling that you and I are not going to agree on this.  Smile

To say that he's done nothing specifically against the Sox may or may not be true.  That HR he hit, for example, was hit with a steroid enhanced body, as was everything else he did for the past ?? years.

These guys who have "used" have made a mockery of the game and of the players they play against, and Dempster sent ARod a clear message that for at least one player (Dempster) this is now not "business as usual". 

To editorialize a bit (please forgive me), I fear that we've become too much a nation of "If it doesn't bother ME it's ok".  What's happened to right and wrong?  What's happened to standing by one another?  When we see something happening that we believe is patently WRONG don't we have an obligation to at least say something??  Or make a statement of some kind?  The last time I was in NYC I saw posters in the subways saying, "If you see something, say something".  My immediate thought was to ask WHY a person has to be encouraged to do that. 

:::climbing down off the soapbox now::

Ryan Dempster saw something that he (and nearly everyone) believed was patently wrong and he made a statement.  He made that statement in the way that's been accepted in baseball since baseball was invented, and I applaud him for it.  Now he has to pay a penatly for it and that's fine with me, and I think probably it is with him too. 

And BTW, I couldn't BELIEVE he didn't get ejected on the spot! 

Very well said S5.

When I first say the sequence of pitches I thought dempster only aimed at arod twice, some say three times some say four.  I looked at it again on youtube and I still think dempster aimed at arod twice.

This is how I think it went.  Dempster tried to hit arod and missed.  Pitched him inside twice but not aiming at him.  With 3 balls dempster thought, what the heck, I might as well hit him because he's going to walk anyway LOL!  Relax all, just having some fun.

I think we may all be missing how funny this is.  If dempster was indeed aiming at arod with all four pitches then that makes dempster the worst pitcher in baseball!  If he can't hit a target as big as arod how the heck is he going to hit the catcher's mitt.UndecidedWink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Ryan Dempster saw something that he (and nearly everyone) believed was patently wrong and he made a statement. He made that statement in the way that's been accepted in baseball since baseball was invented, and I applaud him for it. Now he has to pay a penatly for it and that's fine with me, and I think probably it is with him too.

made a statement

my question is

He made that statement in the way that's been accepted in baseball since baseball was invented

do you have any other examples of a player getting thrown at for off the field actions

Taking peds affects how a man plays on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

made a statement

my question is

do you have any other examples of a player getting thrown at 4 taking peds

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

made a statement

my question is

Well, some get thrown at for a home run during a game so one could argue that arod cheated to get his home runs over the years so being thrown at was pay back for all those illegal home runs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Well, some get thrown at for a home run during a game so one could argue that arod cheated to get his home runs over the years so being thrown at was pay back for all those illegal home runs.

LOL my friend

I'm thinking only you could argue that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

made a statement

my question is

A-Rod is a crumb bum, egocentric, narcissistic jerk.  I'm sorry for you that he happens to be a Yankee.  And,  taking PEDS does affect playing on the field.  Get a grip.  You don't think players in the NFL don't try injuring each other?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

LOL my friend

Based on this line of reasoning, it sounds like Ortiz may deserve a PED-ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

A-Rod is a crumb bum, egocentric, narcissistic jerk.  I'm sorry for you that he happens to be a Yankee.  And,  taking PEDS does affect playing on the field.  Get a grip.  You don't think players in the NFL don't try injuring each other?

[/QUOTE]

I'll take that as a no ampoule

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Ortiz clarifies his statement about Dempster plunking Arod.Here's a paragraph and a link to read the whole article:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/08/24/david-ortiz-on-ryan-dempster-comments-we-already-turned-the-page/

“It’s something where we already turned the page,” Ortiz said. “We talked about it during the game. I would say five minutes after that happened, we talked about it. We cleared the air.

“I don’t think I said anything wrong. Dempster understands. My teammates understands. My manager understands. That was the flip of losing the game and that’s the only reason I didn’t agree with it. I told him and he knows. We talked during the game, the minute he came off the mound we talked. And he agreed with me, but he did it because he felt like he had to do it. But it’s over.”

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Check out the date Zac:

Buster Olney         @Buster_ESPN

Heard an incredible story this month of a pitcher who announced to his teammates in the dugout that he drilled a guy because he's a PED user

8:56 AM - 22 Jul 2013

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Check out the date Zac:

Buster Olney         @Buster_ESPN

Heard an incredible story this month of a pitcher who announced to his teammates in the dugout that he drilled a guy because he's a PED user

8:56 AM - 22 Jul 2013

interesting mr mojo

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Calling what he did an "off-field action" is disingenuious at best.  While I'm willing to concede that he probably never injected himself while on the field, what he did was within the scope of the game of baseball.  Do we now have to agree that anything that's done "off the field" is ignored within the realm of baseball, especially if it pertains TO baseball?

While to the best of my knowledge he never dropped trou and administered his "medication" on the field but that doesn't make it any less a baseball related offense. Do we want to assume that if he didn't do it in CF then it's ok?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

LOL my friend

I don't think so zac. I'm sure a lot of pitchers feel the same way.  I know if I were a clean pitcher I would be pretty ticked off that arod messed with my numbers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I'll take that as a no ampoule

[/QUOTE]

Zac~

There's a first time for everything and this is it.  For you to keep asking for examples is fruitless.  The guy is scum, he was hit like hundreds before and hundreds after.  I'm sorry for you that he is yankee scum but it is what it is.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

LOL my friend

Based on this line of reasoning, it sounds like Ortiz may deserve a PED-ball.

Come on now, you and everyone else here saw how I was all over ortiz for the dug out thing and his swearing.  I didn't try to make his behavior less wrong by comparing him to others as some of you are doing.

Arod is lower than a snakes belly, he got hit, move on.

Sections
Shortcuts