David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox

This paragraph is from ESPNBoston.com.I've provided the link so you can read the whole article :

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7128858/boston-red-sox-david-ortiz-to-come-back

Ortiz, eligible for free agency after the World Series, hit .309 with 29 homers and 96 RBIs. He said given the turmoil, it's too early to start talking contract with the Red Sox.

"Of course, I would like to come back," he said. "They have a lot of things going on right now. So once they go through all the stuff, GM and managing things, I think they're going to start talking to the players. So, we'll see. We've got time."

Ortiz said too much was being made of an ESPN interview earlier this month during which he said he would consider playing for the rival New York Yankees.

"I never said that I would sign with the Yankees. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," he said. "They asked me if I would play for the Yankees. I said I would think about it. But I didn't confirm to nobody that I would play for the Yankees. I'm still a Red Sox, aren't I?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox

Papi and Adrian, don't talk to the media. Ted Williams and Jim Rice got burned by doing so. The media will distort and take out of context everything that you say. Tell the rest of the team to also zip their mouths when the media approaches. Let the fans watch and listen to the games and read the box scores. That is what they did years ago and it was adequate.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Ortiz 2010 and 2011 is a clear case for a one year FA contract offer of 11 to 13M.

Varitek and Wakefield 2010 and 2011 deserve a swift boot to the curb.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The media of course asked if Ortiz would play for the Yankees. He was honest, essentially saying maybe he might... it was not a threat or a negotiating ploy. Naturally it was spun that way.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I can't stand all this crap coming from the media. Ortiz will be back next season and he will produce. I think this whole situation has gotten way out of hand.

The only thing that should be said about Ortiz at the moment is him winning the Roberto Clemente Award. that's two in a row for Boston! See we got some quality guys here in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Not sure he will be back and not sure if 25 homers and 80 ribbies is considered producing on the level he has been accustomed.  We shall see... but the media totally tried to generate a false meaning to his comments.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

He's worth 2 picks. I'd take them while we still can.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox:
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Boom, I'm never surprised by your rhetoric. Never. Ever.

Some folks rise and applaude.

Some folks rise, applaude and wonder what's next.

Some (like you) sit and think uneccessary thoughts while spinning those thoughts into a web that appears inviting but is irrelevant and selfish.

May I suggest you either rise and just applaude or just sit there lost in unshared thoughts?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Papi and Adrian, don't talk to the media. Ted Williams and Jim Rice got burned by doing so. The media will distort and take out of context everything that you say. Tell the rest of the team to also zip their mouths when the media approaches. Let the fans watch and listen to the games and read the box scores. That is what they did years ago and it was adequate.
    Posted by UticaClub
    somtimes i don't get why they even bother, 9 times out of 10 they just fill in the blanks anway..mostly with the things "they" wanted you to say but didn't....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by Boomerangsdotcom

Two picks would be nice but I want Papi in the middle of our lineup next season because I think our team will have something to prove.  Offer Papi one or two guaranteed years with a team option and "buy out" at the tail end.  After everything that has been said and done I bet Papi has another great season in 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

To be fair he hit 29 and 96 but he is not a driving force as Sept. showed.  He is limited and needs to be signed at a discount at which he may be unhappy.  He has a great legacy but to be sure he does not bring that 2004 or even 2007 spirit any longer.  The best thing the Red Sox could do is move on.  The stench of 2011 is on all of these guys.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

The Sox need to get back to building up the farm system. It's time to let Papi and and Paps walk. They'll both cost a premium to resign and we could really use the picks. Get the picks and use the cash on another closer. Rotate the DH spot until Middlebrooks comes up and then stick Youk in it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Ortiz 2010 and 2011 is a clear case for a one year FA contract offer of 11 to 13M. Varitek and Wakefield 2010 and 2011 deserve a swift boot to the curb.
    Posted by hankwilliams

13M sounds like he is getting paid for past accomplishments. He has already been paid well for those years. 13M is outrageous. The Sox have a chance to end this 'overpaying price' for their current DH who can't field, can't run, complains at the plate and in clubhouse, does't run down to first ever on ground balls, and honestly I think whose heroic days in Boston have ended. 

How many games changing or winning hits did he produce this season? Where was his leadership in Sept.

They have a chance to fill that slot with a player who can spell others at their positions. A player who can and will run. A player who can field. It would be a good time to get more use out of the DH slot would it not? 

I respect all Ortiz has done in Boston. But it just might be time to part ways or offer him the average DH salary. Sorry. Its just business.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

To be fair he hit 29 and 96 but he is not a driving force as Sept. showed.  He is limited and needs to be signed at a discount at which he may be unhappy.  He has a great legacy but to be sure he does not bring that 2004 or even 2007 spirit any longer.  The best thing the Red Sox could do is move on.  The stench of 2011 is on all of these guys.
    Posted by concord27

Spot on concord.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

10 mil is fair....id like him back too - he was pretty impressive as a dh but i would go more than 2ys/20m
    hes not getting younger or faster

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

translated means that he and his agent tested the market and there are no takers for 15 million at two years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I think he may be back with the team for one or two years contract.  But to be honest with you, it is better off to have someone who can bat DH can also play defense such as Youkilis, Salty/Larvanway (whoever catch that nite), A-Gonz (defense rest), etc.

Look at Thome batting DH for the Twins, and sometime the manager of the Twins would like to put in Mononeu or Mauer once a while at DH spot for a defense rest. But Thome created a problem for the manager.  

Same goes to Papi!!  I love Papi, but since he cant play defense anymore, time to tell him to move on.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Did 'too much drama' cease?

That quote was not taken out of context.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Sox should resign him ASAP. I'd give him $10 mil x 2yrs with some incentives thrown in. He deserves it for many reasons, and he'd be a help in rebuilding this great franchise and helping to keep the attitudes positive in the clubhouse. I'd also make him a captain while we're at it... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

Sox should resign him ASAP. I'd give him $10 mil x 2yrs with some incentives thrown in. He deserves it for many reasons, and he'd be a help in rebuilding this great franchise and helping to keep the attitudes positive in the clubhouse. I'd also make him a captain while we're at it... 
    Posted by Teakus

I'm just asking this Teakus.

Ortiz finally had a turnaround season. For years I've been saying trade Ortiz while he has value because as Ortiz said himself before the 2009 season that the Manny/Ortiz Big Papi wasn't walking through that door again.

If we're ever going to get rid of Ortiz and rebuild what Theo Epstein destroyed, why can't it be now? If Ortiz has another Little Papi season, we're stuck with a big contract and insufficient production from the DH spot.

Now has to be time? If not, why?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox : I'm just asking this Teakus. Ortiz finally had a turnaround season. For years I've been saying trade Ortiz while he has value because as Ortiz said himself before the 2009 season that the Manny/Ortiz Big Papi wasn't walking through that door again. If we're ever going to get rid of Ortiz and rebuild what Theo Epstein destroyed, why can't it be now? If Ortiz has another Little Papi season, we're stuck with a big contract and insufficient production from the DH spot. Now has to be time? If not, why?
    Posted by OurMan

Ortiz in his Littlest Papi year still had very acceptable production from the DH spot, even for the money he was being paid (12 mil was market-reasonable for 30/100 no?).  Not sure where you make the leap to big contract going forward.  they will have to pay him, of course.  But, it is not clear what the market for an aging DH like Ortiz will be in the coming days.  I suspect they can sign him for a handsome but short duration contract.  If they can't, sure, let him walk.  But if your interest is just cleaning house, I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OurMan. Show OurMan's posts

In Response to Re: David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox : Ortiz in his Littlest Papi year still had very acceptable production from the DH spot, even for the money he was being paid (12 mil was market-reasonable for 30/100 no?).  Not sure where you make the leap to big contract going forward.  they will have to pay him, of course.  But, it is not clear what the market for an aging DH like Ortiz will be in the coming days.  I suspect they can sign him for a handsome but short duration contract.  If they can't, sure, let him walk.  But if your interest is just cleaning house, I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

When it comes to Ortiz, anything more than the MLB minimum is a risk not worth taking.  While he still has the facade of being a power hitter, ship Ortiz to Minnesota for one of their best pitchers or package him in a deal that gets Felix Hernandez from Seattle.

It's time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: David Ortiz-I would like to come back to the Red Sox : When it comes to Ortiz, anything more than the MLB minimum is a risk not worth taking.  While he still has the facade of being a power hitter, ship Ortiz to Minnesota for one of their best pitchers or package him in a deal that gets Felix Hernandez from Seattle. It's time.
    Posted by OurMan

Why?  I don't see the risk.  His performance has actually trended upward for the past 2 years.  I am interested in what you see that sets off cautions flags.  Of course, if you want to talk contract duration, should the Ortiz camp be bucking for multi years and that be realistic in the market, ok, i'll roll with you on the risk factor.  But, league minimum?  Really?  If you have an axe to grind with the big man, cool.  But, such prejudices can severely compromise one's ability to play arm-chair-virtual-GM.  

And, sure, ship him for a Minny arm or, even better, King Felix.  But, given that he is a free agent, that kinda throws a wrench in the whole "ship him to --- fo ---" thing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

David obviously read the tea leaves, and saw limited options. Teams are not paying the big bucks for DH, rather most teams are useing rotating players, with pitchers taking up as many as 13 roster spots, teams need flexability for their bench players, and useing a sole spot exclusivly is a thing of the past.

Sections
Shortcuts