David Ortiz is the Face of Baseball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

David Ortiz is the Face of Baseball

For Pete's Sake; sign him to the 2 years, plus a mil or two more than his agent has asked. These people talking about stats, positions played, etc. don't really understand what Ortiz has done not only for Boston baseball, but baseball itself.

I'm not sure of the order (may never be!), but he's at least on a Par with Williams, Orr, Brady and Belichek as far as Boston's sports is concerned.

HOF? A no-brainer. Case closed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: David Ortiz is the Face of Baseball

I actually agree with this. Give him the two years. He's been the single most important part of our championships. 2004 is a given, but can you ever forget that grand slam that tied the game? That was like something out of a movie made up by Hollywood. Unreal. And it happens all the time. Whenever this team needed a big hit, he is usually behind it. This guy surpasses any rules about the HOF. It's beyond that now. Forget the DH position, what other player has meant so much to a single team's success in his career? There should be a movie in the works. IMO He has to get in. 

What's the point of having a Hall of Fame if the most famous don't get in?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

For Pete's Sake; sign him to the 2 years, plus a mil or two more than his agent has asked. These people talking about stats, positions played, etc. don't really understand what Ortiz has done not only for Boston baseball, but baseball itself.

I'm not sure of the order (may never be!), but he's at least on a Par with Williams, Orr, Brady and Belichek as far as Boston's sports is concerned.

Give him the two years but he is not the face of baseball, just the sox.  Like Arod or not, fans fill all parks to see him.

He is not on Par with Williams who spent his peak years defending our country and had to go thirty more feet for his homers.

Brady proves time and time again that he wins no matter how many injuries go thru his team.  It is just a matter of next man up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

OK, its New Years day.......  Lay off the sauce !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Thank you Minnesota for letting Ortiz go.  Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

David Ortiz has become a Sox icon. And deservedly so. He has a shot at the Hall of Fame. But on a par with Ted Williams ?  Please. Please. You can't be serious. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

David Ortiz has become a Sox icon. And deservedly so. He has a shot at the Hall of Fame. But on a par with Ted Williams ?  Please. Please. You can't be serious. 

Of course he's not on par with Ted Williams with respect to all around baseball play or hitting for that matter, but on par with what he means to this city, at this time?  Absolutely!  It's impossible to compare this with what Williams did during WWII.  His service & sacrifice was incredible!  There is no way, short of another world war (God forbid), for anybody to match that!  There may never be another hitter to equal his performance on the field either.  Papi does not compare!  Sorry, he simply doesn't.  Who could though???  Having said that, Papi is our modern day Fisk.  Our modern day Jimmy Rice.  Our modern day Larry Bird for Boston.  Our modern day Bobby Orr.  Our modern day Havlicek.  He certainly means that much to this town at this time.

I agree.....  You give him the 2 years.  2 years @ 24M  You are most definitely over-paying on any reasonable expectation of production, but he's still worth it.  Just to keep him around for 2 more years of the greatest 10 year run for him & the Sox is priceless!  The second year might be tough to watch, but I still say it's worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have loved this guy for years as he has been a corner stone of the Boston Red Sox since the first year he arrived from Minnesota.

But, I do not agree with signing him yet for the 2015 season for two reasons. 

First, he agreed with the team to not have any discussions about a 2015 contract until his 2014 contract has expired.  Since today is only the very first day of 2014, his current contract will not expire for at least 9 full months.  It certainly looks like he is getting ready to play the "disrespect" card, and I hope that he doesn't head in that direction.

Second, for as much as he has done in Boston, he is actually beyond the age for when his skills could easily erode in only a half year.  Business-wise, it is just not a smart move to pay him for 2015 before he finishes 2014.  I hope that he has a great 2014 season, but he is certainly one injury away (or a sharp decline) from hitting .222, 5 home runs and drving in 21 runs in 2014.

He will be resignable for 2015 after the 2014 season ends whether he plays well or poorly in 2014.  If he plays well the Sox can give him the qualifying offer of about $15 M and no one else will match that and give up a draft pick for a 39 year old DH, and if he plays poorly he will get a better offer from the Sox than anyone else to try to make a comeback in 2015.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I have loved this guy for years as he has been a corner stone of the Boston Red Sox since the first year he arrived from Minnesota.

First, he agreed with the team to not have any discussions about a 2015 contract until his 2014 contract has expired.  Since today is only the very first day of 2014, his current contract will not expire for at least 9 full months.  It certainly looks like he is getting ready to play the "disrespect" card, and I hope that he doesn't head in that direction.

Second, for as much as he has done in Boston, he is actually beyond the age for when his skills could easily erode in only a half year.  Business-wise, it is just not a smart move to pay him for 2015 before he finishes 2014.  I hope that he has a great 2014 season, but he is certainly one injury away (or a sharp decline) from hitting .222, 5 home runs and drving in 21 runs in 2014.

He will be resignable for 2015 after the 2014 season ends whether he plays well or poorly in 2014.  If he plays well the Sox can give him the qualifying offer of about $15 M and no one else will match that and give up a draft pick for a 39 year old DH, and if he plays poorly he will get a better offer from the Sox than anyone else to try to make a comeback in 2015.

let's be real. we all know (papi and sox FO included) that Papi is going to retire a red sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

3 world series rings and three extremely clutch post seasons in order to win those rings. They need to change the definition of the word legendary to David Ortiz. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

When they said, "Play Ball", I was as big a TW fan as you could ever imagine. I saw play maybe 20 times, both before and after the war. He is second, all time, to the Babe as the greatest BB player of all time; ahead of Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornsbyy. BUT, TW would never have given that speech from CF; he would never have the love of an entire region, that does DO. When you say "compare"; compare what. Ted picked the lunch tab for my wife and me at the Hancock Inn one frigid November day, and he has my respect as a human being. BUT, he was never totally embraced by New England (or all of baseball) as has David Orriz.

It's as simple as that. David Ortiz will be a unanimous HOF, first ballot, You can take that to the bank.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

You make it sound as if it were all about money, age and what more he can do for this team and tgis town; you're missing the point all together. It should be "what can the Sox management do for David Ortiz; not the other way around.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

When they said, "Play Ball", I was as big a TW fan as you could ever imagine. I saw play maybe 20 times, both before and after the war. He is second, all time, to the Babe as the greatest BB player of all time; ahead of Ty Cobb and Rogers Hornsbyy. BUT, TW would never have given that speech from CF; he would never have the love of an entire region, that does DO. When you say "compare"; compare what. Ted picked the lunch tab for my wife and me at the Hancock Inn one frigid November day, and he has my respect as a human being. BUT, he was never totally embraced by New England (or all of baseball) as has David Orriz.

It's as simple as that. David Ortiz will be a unanimous HOF, first ballot, You can take that to the bank.

perhaps we went a tad to far ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

You make it sound as if it were all about money, age and what more he can do for this team and tgis town; you're missing the point all together. It should be "what can the Sox management do for David Ortiz; not the other way around.

Are you being serious here?

Here's a question...when it comes right down to it, w t f HAVEN'T the Sox done for him?

-He's complained maybe a dozen times it seems, and gets money every time

-He's acted childish and selfish, and people ignore it

-He was backed by his manager for MONTHS, in DIFFERENT SEASONS when he flatly was not producing, and he never even got dropped in the lineup

-One of those childish, selfish rants post-2011 season had him saying "I'll go to the Yankees rather than deal with this drama". Real team leader there, wasn't he. Oh, and he helped ADD to all that drama.

One word that NEVER comes to mind with Ortiz is 'professional'. It's what makes people love "this is our fking ceetee", and it's also what makes him lesser. Had he simply kept his mouth shut all these years, he likely would've gotten every same penny, he just wouldn't come off as such a whiny, entitled, spoiled little boy in the process.

What he's done ON THE FIELD isn't debateable. I wish that was all I had to consider.

At some point, winning championships became ALL that matters to people around here. Anything less is a failure, and achieving it absolves all for the 'likeable' ones.

It amazes me how much flak Curt Schilling got, and CONTINUES to get, and how little Ortiz gets.

I've run down the SUBSTANTIAL list of Ortiz transgressions before. And he, yet again, added to it this offseason. He ALWAYS does this. And people enable it. Time and time and time again. 

Pedroia, to me, will be more of an embodiment and face of this franchise. His commitment to the team. His work ethic. His ability to speak into a microphone and not make it about himself. He lives here. Year round. He made one innappropriate comment during 2012, and later admitted it was wrong. Has Ortiz ever admitted anything he said was wrong? Even when he broke in, swearing, in the middle of Francona's press conference? Nope. Again, people make excuses...even PEDROIA trying to make light of it and even tried to take the heat for 'Big Papi' because he, apparently, couldn't handle it. I don't remember Ortiz ever being really questioned about that, or having anything to say. Zero accountability with this guy when he does wrong, but wants ALL the attention and ALL the money he 'fees he deserves'.

The Red Sox existed for over 100 years BEFORE Ortiz. They will exist just fine AFTER him too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

bosoxmal,

how can you think that it is not all about the money with Ortiz when he is the one who is talking to the press about signing for another year before he plays out his current contract after agreeing to not have this discussion before 2014 ends.

ma6dragon9 mentions many things that I am sure that were overshadowed by this year's World Series.  Re-read his post, think back on what he wrote about Ortiz and then add in the fact that it is indeed Ortiz who is now talking about a new contract.

He has whined before and appears to be gearing up for another huge whine session about his poor little bank account.  You should not be surprised when the whining starts again.

Sections
Shortcuts