David Ortiz Seeks Three-Year Deal

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: David Ortiz Seeks Three-Year Deal

I would be surprised if he receives a 3 year deal from any MLB team.  But I suppose that anything is possible. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

No...no...you got it wrong!

He wants a three-year MEAL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sorry papi..I just dont see that happening with the Sox..unless 4-6mm per is OK..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I see Toronto taking him for 3 yrs $33 MM.  Papi intends to give Sox a chance to match any offers.  If he gets an offer from Toronto 3/33, then offer him 3/30.  He might give us some discount for giving him the 3rd yr. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: David Ortiz Seeks Three-Year Deal:
    [QUOTE]I see Toronto taking him for 3 yrs $33 MM.  Papi intends to give Sox a chance to match any offers.  If he gets an offer from Toronto 3/33, then offer him 3/30.  He might give us some discount for giving him the 3rd yr. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I just don't see Toronto giving him 3/30+.  Anthopoulos isn't about bloated payroll.  He is about maximizing payroll.  I can see them offering David 1 + team option.  Anything beyond that is too big a risk for a club that really has to maximize resources to compete with Yankees and Sox.  So far, he has been doing a good job of trimming the fat (V. Wells) and building for the future, while staying competitive.  3 years on Ortiz doesn't fit that mold.  Maybe I am wrong, but I just don't see it.  Anthopoulos is too shrewd for that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]I see Toronto taking him for 3 yrs $33 MM.  Papi intends to give Sox a chance to match any offers.  If he gets an offer from Toronto 3/33, then offer him 3/30.  He might give us some discount for giving him the 3rd yr. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]After ridding themselves of rios and wells; I don't see any way something like that would ever happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

if the RS give ortiz three years at any more the 6 million, they are stupid and haven't learned a thing about anything. 

two years at 8 million period. anything more then that is a waist of money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinjin5000. Show sinjin5000's posts

if the RS give ortiz three years at any more the 6 million, they are stupid and haven't learned a thing about anything. 

two years at 8 million period. anything more then that is a waist of money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

One year and a team option, or it's time to say good-by. Having said that I don't see any team offering 3 years unless it is the O's, and if he goes there it want alter the balance of the division.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

They are reporting that he could get between $15M-16M for 1 year in  arbitration -

So 3 at a discount - even if you front end most of it and have a 3rd year as a option with buyout

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am seeking a 3 year deal as well.  Do you think David or myself has a better shot?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't understand why you all think Big Papi is a risk.  He just earned $13MM for 2011 season and he put up .309 BA AVG, almost .400 OBP, 29 HRs, and 96 RBIs.  After outstanding season, you all want to shed his salary in half and reluctant to give him at least 2 yrs?  Ortiz is 35.  He's not into 40s or something.  He showed us he can improve after disappointing season, he showed us ha can hit against lefties again, he showed us he can be clutch again. 
    I would like to see anyone of you naming 1 player in the current market who can replace Ortiz around $10M with his stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand why you all think Big Papi is a risk.  He just earned $13MM for 2011 season and he put up .309 BA AVG, almost .400 OBP, 29 HRs, and 96 RBIs.  After outstanding season, you all want to shed his salary in half and reluctant to give him at least 2 yrs?  Ortiz is 35.  He's not into 40s or something.  He showed us he can improve after disappointing season, he showed us ha can hit against lefties again, he showed us he can be clutch again.  I would like to see anyone of you naming 1 player in the current market who can replace Ortiz around $10M with his stuff.

True, he is only 35 , but he runs like he's 65.

Sure , he can still hit a ton...but will he do it for 3 more years or is he going to decline? Most experts feel that players do not improve beyond the age of 35, they usually start declining. This might be the time to part company and remember him as a hero, not a stumbling, bumbling oldtimer like poor old Willie Mays was in his final season.

This is not a guy who was a 5-tool player in his prime. Ortiz has really been only a power hitter, sometimes hits for average...not much good at fielding, throwing or running. Beyond 35 these type players generally become a liability , especially if they don't put up the power numbers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand why you all think Big Papi is a risk.  He just earned $13MM for 2011 season and he put up .309 BA AVG, almost .400 OBP, 29 HRs, and 96 RBIs.  After outstanding season, you all want to shed his salary in half and reluctant to give him at least 2 yrs?  Ortiz is 35.  He's not into 40s or something.  He showed us he can improve after disappointing season, he showed us ha can hit against lefties again, he showed us he can be clutch again.  I would like to see anyone of you naming 1 player in the current market who can replace Ortiz around $10M with his stuff.
       His leaving could be a plus. The Sox could sign a RH bat that would better balance the line-up. I can see Ortiz production at some point falling of a cliff and would rather see the Sox lose him a year early than a year too late.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I totally agree that Papi is a monster and market rate for a guy with his attributes is easily 10 mil.  No question.  And, as far as i know, there is no one who can replace him for cheaper.  

But, he is 36.  Show me a couple of big men/DH types who were still hitting at a high level at 38, and I (here  playing the part of a GM who might have interest in signing Papi) will reconsider my resistance to a 3rd year.  I can't think of any off-hand.

Thats where the risk comes from.  Shoot, if Papi would take 1 + team option, I'd give him 12 or 13.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I agree that letting Papi walk could be plus for the Sox in many terms and I would also love to see younger player with more tools than Ortiz IF we can get one who can fill the hole in the middle of our lineup. 
    I understand he's not young, he can't run, he's nothing but a power hitter.  But we are talking about the DH spot.  A 4th or 5th in the lineup card. 
    If a player scores 84 runs, drives in 96 baserunners, gets on base 4 times out of 10, and he wants 3 yrs contract for aournd $10M, I don't think the guys is asking for too much.  (I would probably settle this with 3rd year being team's option).  If Ortiz leaves, then Sox will have more and harder work to do for 2012 season. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

What do we speculate he's looking for?  30MM over three years? 

One year @12MM + second year @ 10MM with 3rd year's salary dependent on what he does in year #2.  If he produces well in year #2 he gets more than his 30MM, and if he doesn't the Sox aren't stuck with him but he's got 22MM in the bank! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Let Ortiz walk and find someone[Beltran,Cuddeyer, or] someone like that who can still run, play the field and is not a base to base runner. And what will Ortiz be like in a year or two? Ortiz has been a very good addition for the Sox, but now is the time  to cut ties with him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Papi needs to take a look at current market prices for DH's.  Guerrero, coming off a 115 RBI season, only got a one year, $8 million deal from the O's. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]Papi needs to take a look at current market prices for DH's.  Guerrero, coming off a 115 RBI season, only got a one year, $8 million deal from the O's. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Didn't Peter Abraham think that the arbitration will definitely decide on $12-$14 mil. I don't understand their logic neither. The market should determine his value.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

+1 @ Zilla's first post.  Hilarious.  Nice photoshop, too!

25. This post has been removed.