Day Off? Did you say Day Off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Day Off? Did you say Day Off?

Big Papi is a very big, strong man; he's asked to go to the plate and hit, maybe 4 or 5 times a game. He needs a Day Off? Daniel Nava is now at the ripe old age of 30; a conditioned athlete with no other purpose but to stay in condition, practice his vocation, and play baseball. Note the word "play". These guys aren't paving highways in the Florida sun; they are playing baseball! Get real, mr. managers. They not only don't need a day off, they'll do a lot better job for you if you put them out there every day.

And while you're at it, dump this 5-man rotation, send the Buchholzs and Lesters out every 4 days, and believe me, they'll still be around pitching in October. Send Doubraunt back to Pawtucket where he can get lots of work and a stronger arm and legs.

These guys need strength conditioning, not Days Off!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Day Off? Did you say Day Off?

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Big Papi is a very big, strong man; he's asked to go to the plate and hit, maybe 4 or 5 times a game. He needs a Day Off? Daniel Nava is now at the ripe old age of 30; a conditioned athlete with no other purpose but to stay in condition, practice his vocation, and play baseball. Note the word "play". These guys aren't paving highways in the Florida sun; they are playing baseball! Get real, mr. managers. They not only don't need a day off, they'll do a lot better job for you if you put them out there every day.

And while you're at it, dump this 5-man rotation, send the Buchholzs and Lesters out every 4 days, and believe me, they'll still be around pitching in October. Send Doubraunt back to Pawtucket where he can get lots of work and a stronger arm and legs.

Doubront's out of options.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I'm sure all of us could use a day off from work.   LOL

As for Ortiz, I was a bit surprised too.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Seriously, do fans want him to get hurt again?

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Do you realize that the day off is more a mental than physical thing at this time of season.

later in the year it is a 50/50 day off.

they play 162 games in 180 days every Sun and Sat with time off to travel to the next game. They are at the field for at least 9 or 10 hrs a day. Live in a hotel half of the time and some do not have families with them the whole seasonThat hey do not play baseball they work at their profession. They work out every day at some part of their craft fielding, hitting, watching video of them selves and opposing teams.

the guys paving highways in Fl. Go home every night after 8 hrs of work are not booed by 30,000 fans when they make an error or strike out. They get to see their kids PLAY baseball or football.

MLB players get paid well but to try and make light of what they need to do on a daily basis to remain where they are is ludicrous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its so easy to have never done something yet, be ignorant enough to comment on that thing you know nothing about. MLB is a 162  game grind over 6  months. Tavel, injuries to deal with, and so much more than most of us here realize.

To actually whine about why papi needs a day off is laughable. Where have you been the last 9 months or so?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

He's played 19 games ....God!!! He must be exhausted!!!

I concur with the O.P. , our fellow fans are brainwashed into thinking the life of a pro athlete is a tough job.

I worked 50-57 hour weeks when I was in my early 30s. I would still do it now at 55, if I could get the overtime....and not complain. These guys are all overpaid,work 4 hour days and get plenty of fringe benefits....and they only do it for 6 monnths out of a year...and this guy only plays on offense!!!

Day off, my @ss!!! Come down here , closer to the bottom of the food chain...where extra money for the tatoo or that bling around your neck is non-existant, and let's talk about "days off."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

He's played 19 games ....God!!! He must be exhausted!!!

I concur with the O.P. , our fellow fans are brainwashed into thinking the life of a pro athlete is a tough job.

I worked 50-57 hour weeks when I was in my early 30s. I would still do it now at 55, if I could get the overtime....and not complain. These guys are all overpaid,work 4 hour days and get plenty of fringe benefits....and they only do it for 6 monnths out of a year...and this guy only plays on offense!!!

Day off, my @ss!!! Come down here , closer to the bottom of the food chain...where extra money for the tatoo or that bling around your neck is non-existant, and let's talk about "days off."

thats funny zill..its a lot more than that. Trust me, Im not fooled about anything. Ive talked to enough MLB player, coaches., managers and play by play guys to know its not just show up to play ball for 4 hrs like you suggest. YOU are the one thats fooled into believing that bag of nonsense.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought him avoiding Colon was not one who tries to be a leader makes.. 

Me thinks it's John who is the manager, not Papi.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

also, with the stretch of consecutive games coming up, it was smart to give him a day sunday so it would give him a 2 day break before playing 27 games in a row.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

also, with the stretch of consecutive games coming up, it was smart to give him a day sunday so it would give him a 2 day break before playing 27 games in a row.

He won't play 27 in a row. I think it would be better to give him a day off during those 27, not 2 now. Besides, he was going to get 1.5 anyways (night after day off and day game).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

He won't play 27 in a row. I think it would be better to give him a day off during those 27, not 2 now. Besides, he was going to get 1.5 anyways (night after day off and day game).

I didnt mean that HE would play 27 in a row, but the team. I imagined they would be cautious with him in the first half. We'll see how hes handled after the ASB. I said Id be happy with 120 games. If he gets a little less than that, so be it. I believe he will play many more next year though. 140 maybe.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didnt mean that HE would play 27 in a row, but the team. I imagined they would be cautious with him in the first half. We'll see how hes handled after the ASB. I said Id be happy with 120 games. If he gets a little less than that, so be it. I believe he will play many more next year though. 140 maybe.

I think 120 this and 140 next is reasonable, but I still say being a DH is not something you do that ever needs 2 days off in a row, unless something is still there- injury wise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I think 120 this and 140 next is reasonable, but I still say being a DH is not something you do that ever needs 2 days off in a row, unless something is still there- injury wise.

It is when you're coming back from a serious injury.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I am not on the inside of either the Sox clubhouse or Papi's body, so i cannot be sure, but I do think that most of you knocking his days off are missing the boat.  It is not about him not being able to handle it.  It is about being careful on a healing heel.  Given that he wasn't ready to go for ST or the season opener, and that his comeback coincided exactly with the bonuc clause in his contract, I would venture to say he was/has not been fully healed.  Obviously it is healthy enough that his performance is not effected negatively.  But, there might be inflammation/irritation/tightness/compensation related issues.  I don't think his days off have anything to do with his fitness or inability to go.  It is the club being cautious and managing a healing injury.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I am not on the inside of either the Sox clubhouse or Papi's body, so i cannot be sure, but I do think that most of you knocking his days off are missing the boat.  It is not about him not being able to handle it.  It is about being careful on a healing heel.  Given that he wasn't ready to go for ST or the season opener, and that his comeback coincided exactly with the bonuc clause in his contract, I would venture to say he was/has not been fully healed.  Obviously it is healthy enough that his performance is not effected negatively.  But, there might be inflammation/irritation/tightness/compensation related issues.  I don't think his days off have anything to do with his fitness or inability to go.  It is the club being cautious and managing a healing injury.

I don't get why this is so tough to understand.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

As it turns out, a day off didn't hurt because Dempster got killed by the Jays and Papi couldn't save us.  Farrell didn't know that before the fact of course, but he did pick a game when Toronto started a lefty, plus he got a slight benefit from also giving Napoli a little rest by being the DH.  Don't forget Ortiz was in a mini-slump, so it's kind of hard to argue he was absolutely needed.

Right now it's hard for me to see much point in griping about individual players when the whole team seems to be in a funk.  Lester and Buchholz are looking good, and so is Lackey.  Before yesterday so did Dempster.  But after the rotation things look kind of grim.  The bullpen very definitely shows signs of vulnerability by almost everyone.  The almost error-free defense is now trying to get a season's worth of errors and unearned runs by midseason.  Drew has been steady at SS and Pedroia of course excellent at 2B and Napoli OK or better at 1B.  But 3B and left field not so good.  Catcher (Salty) also not so good.  Pitchers not good.  Hitting right now is horrible. 

Were I running this team as GM, however, I would not make any big moves yet.  I think the top part of the order will get better and the bottom third already is.  As for the middle part of Ortiz, Napoli, and usually Nava, they have all three shown an ability to knock in runs.    I would assume until Dempster proves otherwise he is a viable starter, which gives us 4 decent to very good starters with only the 5th a problem.  But even there I think between Doubront and Webster there is a fix. 

The bullpen, on the other hand, looks troubled, but maybe there are guys in the farm system who can make a difference.  Plus Bailey is on the 15 day, not the 60 day DL. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

Papi should never have been re-signed, and certainly not for what he's being paid...now we know why he fought for the huge contract, knowing he was going to loose half to his soon-to-be-ex...Day off?  Try taking the season off you rotund legless PED suckin' tub o' lard...all I can say is.......

You have had some stellar posts today.  Great work.

Sections
Shortcuts