Day Off? Did you say Day Off?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Day Off? Did you say Day Off?

They used to give J.D. Drew "days off" and he got hurt anyway.

They pull pitchers in the 6th inning when they hit 100 pitch count , and more than ever are having Tommy John surgery.

The DL for every MLB team is like a motel with a "no vancancy" sign. Players are getting babied and coddled , paid higher than ever....and so much less is expected of them! My God, .260 is considered a "good" or "okay" batting average, 4.50 is a "decent" ERA.

A DH needs a two day break??? Are you kidding me, I wouldn't even be winded playing DH AT 55!!!...THIS GUY IS NOT YET 40!!!

Where have you gone Cal Ripkin? , where are the guys like Lou Gehrig and Stan Musial, who worked their butts off and earned the respect of fans everywhere?

Sorry, this era of corporate baseball leaves me feeling cheated. And if you don't feel this way too, I guess you must be okay with the 1% getting off easy , while the other 99% has to live near the fault line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

zillagod, I think the day(s) off are based on a medical opinion related to the achilles tendon and not about the exertion of DH'ing.  Three guys on this team have played every single game--Pedroia, Napoli, and Ellsbury--and two of them have played in the field for every game and I think every inning of every game.  So Farrell is not afraid to play guys. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Big Papi is a very big, strong man; he's asked to go to the plate and hit, maybe 4 or 5 times a game. He needs a Day Off? Daniel Nava is now at the ripe old age of 30; a conditioned athlete with no other purpose but to stay in condition, practice his vocation, and play baseball. Note the word "play". These guys aren't paving highways in the Florida sun; they are playing baseball! Get real, mr. managers. They not only don't need a day off, they'll do a lot better job for you if you put them out there every day.

And while you're at it, dump this 5-man rotation, send the Buchholzs and Lesters out every 4 days, and believe me, they'll still be around pitching in October. Send Doubraunt back to Pawtucket where he can get lots of work and a stronger arm and legs.

These guys need strength conditioning, not Days Off!

Do you realize that the day off is more a mental than physical thing at this time of season.

later in the year it is a 50/50 day off.

they play 162 games in 180 days every Sun and Sat with time off to travel to the next game. They are at the field for at least 9 or 10 hrs a day. Live in a hotel half of the time and some do not have families with them the whole seasonThat hey do not play baseball they work at their profession. They work out every day at some part of their craft fielding, hitting, watching video of them selves and opposing teams.

the guys paving highways in Fl. Go home every night after 8 hrs of work are not booed by 30,000 fans when they make an error or strike out. They get to see their kids PLAY baseball or football.

MLB players get paid well but to try and make light of what they need to do on a daily basis to remain where they are is ludicrous.

Great post Jim. I get exhausted after a 4 hour drive, just sitting down in a comfortable seat with the climate controlled and good conversation. To pretend that Papi's day is four AB's is silly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Big Papi is a very big, strong man; he's asked to go to the plate and hit, maybe 4 or 5 times a game. He needs a Day Off? Daniel Nava is now at the ripe old age of 30; a conditioned athlete with no other purpose but to stay in condition, practice his vocation, and play baseball. Note the word "play". These guys aren't paving highways in the Florida sun; they are playing baseball! Get real, mr. managers. They not only don't need a day off, they'll do a lot better job for you if you put them out there every day.

And while you're at it, dump this 5-man rotation, send the Buchholzs and Lesters out every 4 days, and believe me, they'll still be around pitching in October. Send Doubraunt back to Pawtucket where he can get lots of work and a stronger arm and legs.

Doubront's out of options.

here's a couple options i'd like to use.: put him on waivers or DFA him. i guess you could wait until june and trade him for some used resin bags.

I was nearly ripped a new you know what for suggesting we trade Doubront this past winter as part of a package to improve at SP or fill the clean-up slot in our line-up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to youkillus' comment:

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Do you realize that the day off is more a mental than physical thing at this time of season.

later in the year it is a 50/50 day off.

they play 162 games in 180 days every Sun and Sat with time off to travel to the next game. They are at the field for at least 9 or 10 hrs a day. Live in a hotel half of the time and some do not have families with them the whole seasonThat hey do not play baseball they work at their profession. They work out every day at some part of their craft fielding, hitting, watching video of them selves and opposing teams.

the guys paving highways in Fl. Go home every night after 8 hrs of work are not booed by 30,000 fans when they make an error or strike out. They get to see their kids PLAY baseball or football.

MLB players get paid well but to try and make light of what they need to do on a daily basis to remain where they are is ludicrous.

Great post Jim. I get exhausted after a 4 hour drive, just sitting down in a comfortable seat with the climate controlled and good conversation. To pretend that Papi's day is four AB's is silly.

excellent post, I agree.

Some negative comments about taking days off just shows that some people have no idea what their talking about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's silly to think it's hard to run to 1B 3-4 times a day and that's all, except for that long walk to the next flight or the hotel restaurant.

Geesh!

I'm not blaming Papi. I don't think he asked for a 2 day break.

The guy needs to play 19 out of 20 games minimum.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Yeah, the good ol' days, like when the 1978 Red Sox took a nosedive because Don Zimmer didn't utilize his bench.  He kept putting Hobson in the lineup with bone chips in his elbow, while he made a throwing error in about every game down the stretch.    

This is not about coddling as much as it is about getting the maximum performance out of a team over the long run.  As a Red Sox fan, I can understand being disappointed and frustrated about their recent performance.  However, this gripe about the players not being out there as much as possible is a kneejerk response and a desperate need to feel in control over something.  The Red Sox were doing the same thing in April and managed to win.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

He's played 19 games ....God!!! He must be exhausted!!!

I concur with the O.P. , our fellow fans are brainwashed into thinking the life of a pro athlete is a tough job.

I worked 50-57 hour weeks when I was in my early 30s. I would still do it now at 55, if I could get the overtime....and not complain. These guys are all overpaid,work 4 hour days and get plenty of fringe benefits....and they only do it for 6 monnths out of a year...and this guy only plays on offense!!!

Day off, my @ss!!! Come down here , closer to the bottom of the food chain...where extra money for the tatoo or that bling around your neck is non-existant, and let's talk about "days off."

I want my, I want my MLBtv

Now look at them hot dogs, that's the way you do it

All you need to do is take them PEDs
    That ain't workin’, that's the way you do it
    Money for nothing and it’s guaranteed!

Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it
    Hear ‘bout the contract that Boras client just signed?
    Maybe get a blister on your index finger
    Maybe pull a hammy runnin’ down the line

We got to haul these sacks of peat moss
    Custom garden deliveries
    We got to move these bags of rock salt
    We got to lift this damn concrete

The little jitterbug with the earring and the tattoo
    Yeah buddy, that hot babe is his trophy wife
    That little jitterbug’s trains at Athlete’s Performance Center
    That little jitterbug’s got a bitchin’ life

Custom garden deliveries

Look at that, look at that
    I should have leaned how to grip a knuckler
    I should have learned how to hit a curve
    Check out Heidi, she got it sticking in the camera
    Man we can have some
    And he's up there, what's that? Admiring his home run?
    Jogging down the basepaths like a two-toed sloth
    Oh, that ain't working, that's the way you do it
    Get your money for nothing and it’s guaranteed!

Custom garden deliveries

Listen here
    Now that ain't working, that's the way you do it
    All you do is take them PEDs
    That ain't working, that's the way you do it
    Money for nothing and it’s guaranteed
    Money for nothing and chicks for free

Get your money for nothing, get your chicks for free
    Money for nothing, and it’s guaranteed!
    Look at that, look at that
    Get your money for nothing, get your chicks for free (I want my, I want my, I want my MLBtv)
    Money for nothing and it’s guaranteed
    Easy, easy

That ain't working

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 3h

Scioscia said Hamilton left game because he was lightheaded. Day to day. #AngeIs

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 2h

Josh Hamilton on his illness: "The equilibrium wasn't quite where it needed to be."

Imagine the abuse he'd take if he played here....

16. This post has been removed.