Deadline Sellers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Deadline Sellers?

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Moon - Look at your outfield. The team will stink again if that is what it is.

You only copied the first part of my post.

Scroll down and see how I suggested we sign a big OF bat at $22M/yr, give Bets a shot at CF and try Cecchini in LF.

Sox4ever

who is the "big OF Bat at @ 22 mil/yr" ?  the free agent list next year is pretty lame

Lester and Scherzer - that's the best of the best.  Ideally, Sox would secure Lester now and make a play for Mad Max in November.  Then they can turn to their farm to save money at other openings.

The best bats are HanRam (could play LF), Nelson Cruz and Michael Cuddyer.

Let's assume we keep Uehara and get a cheap serviceable ctacher, and then break the record book and sign 4 of the top 8 free agents (Cruz, JJ Hardy, Scherzer and Shields), which we could probably do and still stay under the luxury limit (or go over a little), we could see this team:

SP:Scherzer ($30M/yr FA), Shields ($23M FA), Lackey, 2 from: Buchholz, Doubront, Barnes, Ranaudo, Owens, de la Rosa, or Webster

RP: Uehara, Mujica, Tazawa, Workman, 3 from: SP not in rotation (see above), Britton, or A Wilson

C: Suzuki ($6M vet FA) & Vazquez or Butler (or Lava or Swihart)

DH: Ortiz

1B: Napoli & Carp

2B: Pedroia

3B: Bogaerts (SS?) & Middlebrooks or Cecchini

SS: JJ Hardy ($16M/yr FA) & Marrero , Herrera or Holt

LF:  N Cruz ($22M/yr) & Cecchini, Nava, or

CF: JBJ & Betts

RF: Victorino (Cruz/JBJ) Hassan or H Ramos

If we can get Betts and Cecchini to not be major defensive liabilities in the OF and add Cruz, our OF could be pretty good, even if Vic is on the DL for half of 2015.

Our line-up could be:

1) Bogaerts

2) Pedroia

3) Ortiz

4) Cruz

5) Napoli

6) Victorino or Betts/ Cecchini

7) Betts/Cecchini

8) Hardy

9) Suzuki/Vazquez

I seriously doubt we sign all these guys. Heck, we may not sign even one of them, but we have about $100M to spend and still stay under the limit, so we could on paper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

You can't explain it away by saying " It is hard to repeat " or " Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't."

Maybe not, but you can't always blame the GM, when players don't hit when it counts either.

The budget was tight this year. Next year it is now. Let's see how Ben does with an open book to work with.

Sox4ever

Show us the numbers smart man.... show us

What, the budget numbers?

Look for yourself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's an interesting article on fangraphs titled "The Rays as Sellers"...

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-rays-as-sellers/

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

If a G.M. turns a World Champion into deadline sellers in one off season, he did not do a good job. All of the spin about how he is wisely planning for the future is balderdash. The G.M. will get credit for a winning team. He has to get blame for a losing team as well.

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

When was the last time the Red Sox were deadline sellers?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I would guess 1994, the last time we won 73 games, which, right now, is more than we are on a pace to win this year. Face it: this team NEEDS to be deadline sellers. No need to mortgage our future in some idiotic effort to try to save this sorry group of bums.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The 1994 Red Sox did not make any deadline deals, although they did trade closer Jeff Russell to the Indians on July 1.  However, they received 37yo Steve Farr and Chris Nabholz, already an MLB vet himself.  So we can't really count that as a deal where the Sox were building towards the future by making deadline deals.

Granted, the pending MLBPA Strike that year might have been a factor in the lack of activity.  Why make deals if you suspect there will be no post-season anyway?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Lots of interesting comments, I'll wait till I make any comments. 50+ days a lot can happen. One thing I can say, if I see the Sox not hustling or thinking, or fighting. Then I'm with anything.

The thing that irks me the most is Sizemore in the line up every night.  If we don't have a kid with a true future who can fill that slot then what is going on in our farm system?  Ditto w/ Mejica.  At least Buck is on the DL.  Cut the dead weight. 

With Mujica, you are only looking at a bad couple months in a very good career.  You run that risk.

Sizemore is another matter.  The real issue isn't so much Sizemore.  It's that none of the other outfielders have been good enough or healthy enough to relegate him to the bench.  Sizemore is doing far better than should have been expected, given his prolonged absence.

And per the farm, the Sox have been trying all the outfielders from the 40-man roster, with the lone exception being Bryce Brentz (currently on the DL).  They also tried Mookie Betts in CF. And at some point, need to move Garin Cecchini to a corner OF spot.

But even then, those last two are more long term,  Its not likely the Sox try and use a rookie not only debuting in MLB, but also in the OF...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

There is not a single player on the roster I would consider "safe" from being traded unless they have a no trade clause. If we could trade Lester and get Sale or Kershaw, would you do it? Its a matter of what you get in return. If you can get more in return than you give up, you make the trade, assuming the Red Sox continue to lose and become sellers at the deadline. They key is to be committed 100% to it, not half way.

I almost agree with all Moon said  and other  commentaries above...at this moment I believe Bogaert is only untouchable and five  or six guys in the farm... Why? ...because we will not be contending before 2016... Even Farrell is expendable ( of whom since last year I have been  calling an awful in-game manager)... Therefore the key point is get rid of the trash asp, and move up the new crop and give them a big league seasoning thru this and next year...if can trade  talent for talent, great... Only exceptions inmo would be jbj and lester...they have a long way to go, wish you could see them with sox in 2016...( i dont expect to live that long, one of the reasons a repeat was very dear to me)...

Health issue?   Hoping you're just making a sarcastic comment about your age here

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

The 1994 Red Sox did not make any deadline deals, although they did trade closer Jeff Russell to the Indians on July 1.  However, they received 37yo Steve Farr and Chris Nabholz, already an MLB vet himself.  So we can't really count that as a deal where the Sox were building towards the future by making deadline deals.

Granted, the pending MLBPA Strike that year might have been a factor in the lack of activity.  Why make deals if you suspect there will be no post-season anyway?

You make deals to get players that might help you in the future, including draft picks. I am not suggesting that deals get made to try to salvage this season at all, obviously. But if we could stockpile draft picks for future years we could either use them to draft more players or trade them at a later time in a package that could help us in, say, 2016.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I would guess 1994, the last time we won 73 games, which, right now, is more than we are on a pace to win this year. Face it: this team NEEDS to be deadline sellers. No need to mortgage our future in some idiotic effort to try to save this sorry group of bums.

July 31, 1997

Heathcliff Slocumb for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Then, there are also the somewhat recent waiver deals of August that show the Sox can be sellers:

August 25, 2012: AGon, Beckett, Crawford and Punto to LA for a bunch of prospects and Loney.

August 31, 2006: David Wells for George Kottaras.

Sox4ever

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Selling David Wells is not the same as moving Lester... the team has seldom (short of Garciaparra) moved the home grown big names.

I didn't count Nomar, because he was dealt for vets. It was not a "sell" trade.

Yes, the team seldom "sells", but remember, Ben was at the helm for one of the biggest "sells" in recent MLB history: the Dodger trade.

If we are out of it and are not looking like extending Lester, then I think we should look to trade him. I'm not saying we will or predicting we will, but my opinion is to get some great young talent while we can. Same with Uehara.

I'd also see if we can get anything decent (even if a mid-level prospect with some upside potential) for Gomes, Ross, AJ P, Peavy, Miller, Mujica, Badenhop, Capuano, Breslow, Herrera, and maybe even Carp, Nava,  Vic or Naps.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Are you posting from the future???? the 2014 deadline is about 2 months away.  The question was, when was the LAST time, implying that this year will be the next.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd prefer we extend Lester. I'd rather have Lester than Shields, so if we lose Lester, only Scherzer would be an improvement.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Like Clemens/Hurst, Schilling/Pedro, and Lester/Beckett we might need both....

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get two out of 3 (Lester, Scherzer & Shields), but with Lackey continuing his nice pitching, we could win with just one of the three, as long as we make some good moves to fill the other voids in our system.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bumped up to counter the recent similar thread.

Sox4ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I guess I'm pretty much stating the obvious here, but I think trading Peavy is a virtual necessity.  Aside from getting some return for him, we can get De La Rosa back in the rotation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I guess I'm pretty much stating the obvious here, but I think trading Peavy is a virtual necessity.  Aside from getting some return for him, we can get De La Rosa back in the rotation.

Exactly, and the sooner the better. 

Same with Gomes. It's time to start playing JBJ, Betts (Give Pedey some rest at 2B a couple games too), Holt (some IF) and Nava (some 1B) as much as possible to see what we have going forward.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

How much money would the Red Sox need to send to Seattle to unload Jake Peavy and Jonny Gomes? Peavy has about $6 million remaining on his contract and Gomes about $2 million.

What players could the Red Sox expect in return from the Mariners?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Exactly, and the sooner the better. 

Same with Gomes. It's time to start playing JBJ, Betts (Give Pedey some rest at 2B a couple games too), Holt (some IF) and Nava (some 1B) as much as possible to see what we have going forward.

Nava isn't an answer going forward. He doesn't produce enough for a corner outfielder.

I stated in the preseason that our outfield was the worst in baseball, everybody argued that it wasn't bad with Grady, Nava, Vic, Gomes and JBJ. What do you have given the lack of production? A team in last place.

JBJ is a nice fielder, but when you don't get production from other OF positions and you don't get power from 3B, where will power come from?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

How much money would the Red Sox need to send to Seattle to unload Jake Peavy and Jonny Gomes? Peavy has about $6 million remaining on his contract and Gomes about $2 million.

What players could the Red Sox expect in return from the Mariners?

I'd pay $5M of the $8M owed. I'd expect a decent mid level prospect with promise. 

We save $3M which makes sure we come in under the luxury limit.

We make room for a young starting pitcher to get some ML starts.

We make room in the OF for Holt, Betts, JBJ and Nava to get more PAs.

The prospects we get is almost an after thought, but I do think we should get something that gives us some hope in the future.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]
    Nava isn't an answer going forward. He doesn't produce enough for a corner outfielder.

I stated in the preseason that our outfield was the worst in baseball, everybody argued that it wasn't bad with Grady, Nava, Vic, Gomes and JBJ. What do you have given the lack of production? A team in last place.

JBJ is a nice fielder, but when you don't get production from other OF positions and you don't get power from 3B, where will power come from?

Nava does very well vs RHPs. I can live with the lack of power as long as we make up for it at other positions this winter. 

I'm not saying I am counting on Nava in a big way going forward, but he's a nice piece to the puzzle maybe as a 4th OF'er and back-up 1Bman or platoon OF'er.

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Like Clemens/Hurst, Schilling/Pedro, and Lester/Beckett we might need both....

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get two out of 3 (Lester, Scherzer & Shields), but with Lackey continuing his nice pitching, we could win with just one of the three, as long as we make some good moves to fill the other voids in our system.

Never would management go that kind of money for all three pitchers, no way!

Sections
Shortcuts