Deadline Sellers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Re: Deadline Sellers?

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How much money would the Red Sox need to send to Seattle to unload Jake Peavy and Jonny Gomes? Peavy has about $6 million remaining on his contract and Gomes about $2 million.

What players could the Red Sox expect in return from the Mariners?

[/QUOTE]

I'd pay $5M of the $8M owed. I'd expect a decent mid level prospect with promise. 

We save $3M which makes sure we come in under the luxury limit.

We make room for a young starting pitcher to get some ML starts.

We make room in the OF for Holt, Betts, JBJ and Nava to get more PAs.

The prospects we get is almost an after thought, but I do think we should get something that gives us some hope in the future.

[/QUOTE]

Believe me this team with foul this up and get nothing for him like they did with Youkillis in 2012. That was the famous Liliibridge who make JBJ look like a power hitter. We even paid a chunk of the money owed to Youkillis as well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

Same with Gomes. It's time to start playing JBJ, Betts (Give Pedey some rest at 2B a couple games too), Holt (some IF) and Nava (some 1B) as much as possible to see what we have going forward.

[/QUOTE]
    Nava isn't an answer going forward. He doesn't produce enough for a corner outfielder.

I stated in the preseason that our outfield was the worst in baseball, everybody argued that it wasn't bad with Grady, Nava, Vic, Gomes and JBJ. What do you have given the lack of production? A team in last place.

JBJ is a nice fielder, but when you don't get production from other OF positions and you don't get power from 3B, where will power come from?

Nava does very well vs RHPs. I can live with the lack of power as long as we make up for it at other positions this winter. 

I'm not saying I am counting on Nava in a big way going forward, but he's a nice piece to the puzzle maybe as a 4th OF'er and back-up 1Bman or platoon OF'er.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Enough with Nava, he is a late inning defensive replacement at best. I cannot believe Luchinno was toying with putting Nava in the lead off spot. The guy is a career minor league who had a fluke year last year. Enough, he is part of the problem as we'll. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess I'm pretty much stating the obvious here, but I think trading Peavy is a virtual necessity.  Aside from getting some return for him, we can get De La Rosa back in the rotation.

[/QUOTE]

The talk is a c level prospect, why would you do that. You are giving him away for nothing, This is the time you take a teams lungs for a player they need, like they did with us last year for Peavy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Teams are willing to take Peavy if Boston pays most of his salary. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

How much money would the Red Sox need to send to Seattle to unload Jake Peavy and Jonny Gomes? Peavy has about $6 million remaining on his contract and Gomes about $2 million.

I'd pay $5M of the $8M owed. I'd expect a decent mid level prospect with promise. We save $3M which makes sure we come in under the luxury limit.

The prospects we get is almost an after thought, but I do think we should get something that gives us some hope in the future.

Believe me this team with foul this up and get nothing for him like they did with Youkillis in 2012. That was the famous Liliibridge who make JBJ look like a power hitter. We even paid a chunk of the money owed to Youkillis as well.

I doubt the Red Sox chose Brett Lillibridge over Chris Sale ... Lllibridge may well have been the best offer for Kevn Youkilis.

The most up-to-date ranking of Seattle prospects comes from a high school student:

http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to RigatoniT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like Clemens/Hurst, Schilling/Pedro, and Lester/Beckett we might need both....

[/QUOTE]

It certainly wouldn't hurt to get two out of 3 (Lester, Scherzer & Shields), but with Lackey continuing his nice pitching, we could win with just one of the three, as long as we make some good moves to fill the other voids in our system.

[/QUOTE]

Never would management go that kind of money for all three pitchers, no way!

[/QUOTE]

I said 2 out of 3, but I doubt they spend that much on 2 either. I was just saying we have the money to get 2 and then some for offense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nava does very well vs RHPs. I can live with the lack of power as long as we make up for it at other positions this winter.

I'm not saying I am counting on Nava in a big way going forward, but he's a nice piece to the puzzle maybe as a 4th OF'er and back-up 1Bman or platoon OF'er.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

Enough with Nava, he is a late inning defensive replacement at best. I cannot believe Luchinno was toying with putting Nava in the lead off spot. The guy is a career minor league who had a fluke year last year. Enough, he is part of the problem as we'll.

Nava does not play defense well enough to be anyone but Gomes' replacement.

Nava had a career year in 2013 no doubt, but "fluke" or not, he has always been better than decent vs RHPs. From 2010 to 2012, there were 158 OF'er with 350+ PAs vs RHPs. Remember, this was before his "fluke 2013 season". Guess where Nava placed in OBP vs RHPs among those 158 OF'ers?

14th!  (.369)

Yeah, I'd like a little more pop out of my LF'er, but 64th out of 158 in OPS (.768) is not bad for a players first 350 PAs vs RHPs in MLB.

This might put it in better perspective, since 2010 only 5 OF'er have more PAs and a higher OBP than Nava's .386 mark: Choo, Trout, Berkman, Bautista and Ethier.

Of the 110 OF'er with 900+ PAs vs RHPs since 2010, nava places 29th in OPS (top third) at .813 just below N Cruz, J Werth and a bunch of other guys getting paid way way way more than he is.

Nava is a keeper. He should not start vs LHPs. he should not play RF, except maybe in Yankee Stadium with their small RF. He should never be a defensive replacement, but a PH'er when a LH'er starts a game. 

Just because he is not a solid all around FT OF'er does not mean he cannot have a vital role on our team going forward.

A .386 OBP is nothing to just give up on over a 2 month slump.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess I'm pretty much stating the obvious here, but I think trading Peavy is a virtual necessity.  Aside from getting some return for him, we can get De La Rosa back in the rotation.

[/QUOTE]

The talk is a c level prospect, why would you do that. You are giving him away for nothing, This is the time you take a teams lungs for a player they need, like they did with us last year for Peavy.

[/QUOTE]

You get the best you can get, and at Peavy's cost in contract, his 2 months of team control remaining, and his downward spiral in performance, I think you might be expecting too much.

Take the best offer, even if it means we pay part of his deal. Hopefully we can get a B prospect with promise, but I'll take an upper C level prospect with any kind of hope.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd pay $5M of the $8M owed. I'd expect a decent mid level prospect with promise. We save $3M which makes sure we come in under the luxury limit.

I doubt the Red Sox chose Brett Lillibridge over Chris Sale ... Lllibridge may well have been the best offer for Kevn Youkilis.

The most up-to-date ranking of Seattle prospects comes from a high school student:

http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hill, I have no idea how good Seattle's prospects are, but if we paid $5M of the $8M owed to Peavy and Gomes, I'd expect a solid B prospect or low A prospect perhaps with an injury issue or some flaw, but who still has legitimate promise of becoming a useful MLb player.

We need a SS and/or 3Bman and OF power.

Got any ideas?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/" rel="nofollow">http://seatownmariners.com/2014/07/03/re-ranking-the-mariners-top-prospects/

Hill, I have no idea how good Seattle's prospects are, but if we paid $5M of the $8M owed to Peavy and Gomes, I'd expect a solid B prospect or low A prospect perhaps with an injury issue or some flaw, but who still has legitimate promise of becoming a useful MLb player.

We need a SS and/or 3Bman and OF power.

Got any ideas?

Two righthand-hitting power hitters taken out of college in the 2012 draft: 23-year-old outfielder Jabari Henry or 24-year-old thirdbaseman Patrick Kivlehan, who did not play college baseball until completing four seasons on the Rutgers football team:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=henry-001jab" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=henry-001jab
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=kivleh000pat" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=kivleh000pat

I doubt the Mariners would offer more for the expiring contracts of two players in disappointing seasons on the wrong side of their 33rd birthdays. The Red Sox could probably field better offers, depending on how much money the Sox send to the trading partner.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I doubt the Mariners would offer more for the expiring contracts of two players in disappointing seasons on the wrong side of their 33rd birthdays. The Red Sox could probably field better offers, depending on how much money the Sox send to the trading partner.

You guys are still in the race.

Gomes kills lefties and has that clubhouse swag that may help.

Peavy may not help, but we're not asking for much back in return.

Just give us one mid-level prospect with some promise.

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Just give us a ball sign by King Felix... I don't want much for Peavy just his slot in the rotation

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just give us a ball sign by King Felix... I don't want much for Peavy just his slot in the rotation

[/QUOTE]

Package Gomes and Peavy and we should be able to get a decent prospect while saving a million or two.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just getting rid of Gomes and Peavy would be enough; but you actually want players in return? Good luck with that.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Package Gomes and Peavy and we should be able to get a decent prospect while saving a million or two.

[/QUOTE]

The money this year is irrelevant. Only the prospects who might help us in the future matter.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just getting rid of Gomes and Peavy would be enough; but you actually want players in return? Good luck with that.

We should be under the luxury limit this year, so there is no need to dump salary, except to pad Henry's already fat wallet.

If we pay most of the salaries of Gomes plus Peavy, we should get a decent mid-level prospect with promise. If the prospect never makes it, no big loss, but we should get something for them. Gomes still hits lefties very very well. Peavy, as bad as he has looked, is better than some contender's 5th starter.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

We should be under the luxury limit this year, so there is no need to dump salary, except to pad Henry's already fat wallet.

If we pay most of the salaries of Gomes plus Peavy, we should get a decent mid-level prospect with promise. If the prospect never makes it, no big loss, but we should get something for them. Gomes still hits lefties very very well. Peavy, as bad as he has looked, is better than some contender's 5th starter.

Sox4ever

My attitude is never get your hopes up concerning a prospect. If you do, you'll be disappointed most of the time. I think the last few years of SOX promotions amplifies my point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Peter Gammons 5m
    w/Garcia in surgery, Gonzalez optioned, Wacha out, I hear what Gordon Edes hears:Cardinals want Jake Peavy

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Peter Gammons 5m
    w/Garcia in surgery, Gonzalez optioned, Wacha out, I hear what Gordon Edes hears:Cardinals want Jake Peavy

[/QUOTE]

Take my Peavy, please.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

My attitude is never get your hopes up concerning a prospect. If you do, you'll be disappointed most of the time. I think the last few years of SOX promotions amplifies my point.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but when you have many highly ranked prospects, I do not think it unreasonable to expect a couple to do well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

You guys are still in the race.

Gomes kills lefties and has that clubhouse swag that may help.

Peavy may not help, but we're not asking for much back in return.

Just give us one mid-level prospect with some promise.

Sox4ever

That's why I mentioned Patrick Kivlehan and Jabari Henry, whom I consider mid-level prospects.

The ScoutingBook currently ranks Kivlehan No. 443 among prospects, placing the thirdbaseman in the company of Boston prospects Sean Coyle (No. 439) and Deven Marrero (No. 453):

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3155" rel="nofollow">http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3155" rel="nofollow">http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3155

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2967" rel="nofollow">http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2967" rel="nofollow">http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2967

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3048" rel="nofollow">http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3048" rel="nofollow">http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p3048

SoxProspects currently ranks Marrero No. 7 and Coyle No. 13 in the Boston farm system:

http://www.soxprospects.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.soxprospects.com/

Last November FanGraphs ranked Kivlehan No. 14 in the Seattle farm system:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-seattle-mariners/" rel="nofollow">http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-seattle-mariners/" rel="nofollow">http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-seattle-mariners/

Neither The ScoutingBook nor FanGraphs ranked Jabari Henry, the 23-year-old Seattle outfield prospect who this season has posted a .309/.415/.590/1.005 line in 295 plate appearances in the extremely hitter-friendly environment at High Desert of the California League. What has been encouraging about Henry is the power hitter's ability to maintain an impressive ratio of walks to strikeouts:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=henry-001jab" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=henry-001jab" rel="nofollow">http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=henry-001jab

My proposed Seattle trade for Jake Peavy and Jonny Gomes received an overwhelmingly negative response on a Mariner message board. Seattle fans apparently have set their sights higher with perhaps insufficient thought to the costs of more attractive acquisitions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My proposal of Seattle trade for Jake Peavy and Jonny Gomes received an overwhelmingly negative response on a Mariner message board. Seattle fans apparently have set their sights higher with perhaps insufficient thought to the costs of more attractive acquisitions.

Understandable, but the Seattle fans should look at Gomes' numbers vs LHPs over the years. If you guys only play him vs lefties, he's nice addition to any team with a weakness in this area.

Peavy may or may not help. Certainly there are sexier SP'ers on the block, but Peavy will not cost much in prospects.

I'd take any of the guys you listed. They are not top prospects, but they have legitimate promise.

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Now we are hearing Napoli rumors...

Sox4ever