Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosbruins2011cup. Show bosbruins2011cup's posts

Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources!

Red Sox to send the Dogers only 12 million LA on the hook for the rest of the money. THIS IS A GREAT DAY YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources!

I LOVE LA!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5LzCOc98E

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I doubt there's anyone happier than Gonzalez. He'll return home, back to the NL and division he's comfortable with. Now he can just show up and play baseball, without all the off field issues. Crawford wanted to go to the West Coast before the Red Sox blew him away with an offer he couldn't refuse. Beckett can get a fresh start and look to rebound, in a lesser league and division, without the designated hitter. For all that's been said and written over the past few years, I didn't enjoy watching anyone pitch more than Beckett in his day and will forever be grateful for 2007. Gonzo is a credit to the game. I wish them all nothing but success, on and off the field. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources!:
    [QUOTE]I doubt there's anyone happier than Gonzalez. He'll return home, back to the comfort of the NL and division and can just show up and play baseball, without all the off field issues. Crawford wanted to go to the West Coast before the Red Sox blew him away with an offer he couldn't refuse. Beckett can get a fresh start and look to rebound, in a lesser league and division, without the designated hitter. For all that's been said an written over the past few years. I didn't enjoy watching anyone pitch more than Beckett and will forever be grateful for 2007. Gonzo is a credit to the game. I wish them all nothing but success, on and off the field. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Although I wouldn't say I am anti-Gonzalez, you know I never really liked the deal to acquire him, the other decisions it affected, the contract, or his personality (other than he offered to play RF)............

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Only $12mill?  This deal is bigger than andrewmitch's ignore list.

Certrainly adnrewmitch will come forth and admit his error in assuming Beckett and Crawford could not be dealt without paying at least half of their remaining salary.   Certainly a mea cupla about "sunk cost" is coming forward.  Did he do that already?

Surely, a guy who will sit on comments for 2 years and wait for a split second when they come true and then scream and cry for accolades and recognition will have the humility to also admit the occasional error.

Or will it be, as AM is so fond of saying, nothing but crickets on the board?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]I doubt there's anyone happier than Gonzalez. He'll return home, back to the NL and division he's comfortable with. Now can just show up and play baseball, without all the off field issues. Crawford wanted to go to the West Coast before the Red Sox blew him away with an offer he couldn't refuse. Beckett can get a fresh start and look to rebound, in a lesser league and division, without the designated hitter. For all that's been said an written over the past few years, I didn't enjoy watching anyone pitch more than Beckett in his day and will forever be grateful for 2007. Gonzo is a credit to the game. I wish them all nothing but success, on and off the field. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

And really, no one gets it worse than Gonxalez. who essentially, was ripped in the press for being religious. Is nothing above reproach to that crowd?

Sox fanswill lvoe this trade, but if 2013 doesn't produce a winner in Boston (and does n LA), the same fans praising Cherington today will be after his head.  This fanbase is too fickle and too easily swayed.  They already spent moretime fawning and fantasizing over Gonzalez in a Padres' uni that they did enjoy watching him in a Boston uniform.  And when they did get him, break out the microscope and start complaining!! We wanted a Triple Crown Winner!!

It will happen here, too.   This deal will be hated by people who love it today.  Book it...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : Although I wouldn't say I am anti-Gonzalez, you know I never really liked the deal to acquire him, the other decisions it affected, the contract, or his personality (other than he offered to play RF)............
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew I like Agon also but I always thought why change something if it's not broken. Keeping Beltre seemed like a no-brainer and having Youk stay at 1st I always felt was the right move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : And really, no one gets it worse than Gonxalez. who essentially, was ripped in the press for being religious. Is nothing above reproach to that crowd? Sox fanswill lvoe this trade, but if 2013 doesn't produce a winner in Boston (and does n LA), the same fans praising Cherington today will be after his head.  This fanbase is too fickle and too easily swayed.  They already spent moretime fawning and fantasizing over Gonzalez in a Padres' uni that they did enjoy watching him in a Boston uniform.  And when they did get him, break out the microscope and start complaining!! We wanted a Triple Crown Winner!! It will happen here, too.   This deal will be hated by people who love it today.  Book it...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

I'm not in favor of it, notin. Lean years ahead. For those who are screaming to play the kids, will get their wish, child's play. things will get much worse, before they get better. BC went from the worst GM yesterday, to GM of the year today. Gives new meaning to the word fickle. Everyone remember next year when our record is worse, this was the "right move" 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : Andrew I like Agon also but I always thought why change something if it's not broken. Keeping Beltre seemed like a no-brainer and having Youk stay at 1st I always felt was the right move.
    Posted by stan17[/QUOTE]

no doubt about it

I can't wait for Theo's next press tour - his work was completely torn down....can Theo create even MORE SPIN now?  Should be good for a chuckle......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

We are learning more and more that Gonzalez was not a good character to have in the clubhouse on a few different levels............

We are eliminating 3 of the biggest clubhouse problems IMO......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]We are learning more and more that Gonzalez was not a good character to have in the clubhouse on a few different levels............ We are eliminating 3 of the biggest clubhouse problems IMO......

such as??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

The Red Sox will be better without these guys.  Beckett was a warrior for the Sox over the years.  But he is on the decline and he can't be taking the stuff that kept Clemens healthy all those years. Crawford and Gonzalez  never seemed comfortable here and I hope they do well in the NL.  Glad we don't face them.  But it will be just like MLB to hook the Sox up with the Doggers in intra league play now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

A fresh start was needed and we now have it.  A very good day. 
    Everyone was so into Gonzo even yrs before we got him(myself included). But can anyone say he was the perfect fit?  He wasn't.  Our team with him on it has one of the worst records in the AL.  He has also been in the middle of a club house revolt.  he's a very good ball player. 

The Sox are now free of three huge contracts.  The money this club is saving is amazing.  Simply amazing. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

8:53am: Dylan Hernandez of The Los Angeles Times reports (on Twitter) that the deal is not yet official and reports of it being complete are premature.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

The purge of the whinners, malcontents and underperformers is not yet complete, Lackey is still on the roster. Who will he complain and moan to now that his buddy Josh is gone? Hope the Sox keep him on a short leash and either trade or cut him if he stinks up the place next yr.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

It was just reported on ESPN that the deal could be completed today and that all parties have agreed to the deal...I think it's now awaiting approval from MLB...

Wow...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]It was just reported on ESPN that the deal could be completed today and that all parties have agreed to the deal...I think it's now awaiting approval from MLB... Wow...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

man..it's crazy...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Dont forget not having Dice K on the books for next year.  Here is hoping that they spend their money wisely.  Give Papi 2 years at about 15 mill per year. Offer Ellsbury 4 years @ 12 mill per year (If he takes it -- good -- if not trade him in the off season To Nationals for Michael Morse.)  To all the King Felix wishers out there-- forget it -- its not going to happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to "Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : man..it's crazy... Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE] The salary relief is great. A-gon is a loss as a ball player. The clubhouse chemistry should improve. Let Bobby V start with a new mix. Baseball would be better off with a salary cap. Could Papi and the Sox now find a happy medium on a 2 year deal, end his career in Boston.? Sign Jacoby to a three year deal. Avoid deals longer than 3 years?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : And really, no one gets it worse than Gonxalez. who essentially, was ripped in the press for being religious. Is nothing above reproach to that crowd? Sox fanswill lvoe this trade, but if 2013 doesn't produce a winner in Boston (and does n LA), the same fans praising Cherington today will be after his head.  This fanbase is too fickle and too easily swayed.  They already spent moretime fawning and fantasizing over Gonzalez in a Padres' uni that they did enjoy watching him in a Boston uniform.  And when they did get him, break out the microscope and start complaining!! We wanted a Triple Crown Winner!! It will happen here, too.   This deal will be hated by people who love it today.  Book it...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

From the ashes rises the phoenix...

if this trade goes through as reported it's more about changing the current dynamics in the clubhouse and will now allow Cherington to rebuild the club with coaches and players that buy into the program...Like all trades, it takes a few years to truly weight the benefits...In this case the positives of the fiscal freedoms of sheding some 260M in contracts, along with sending a clear message to the lockeroom..."That a new day has dawned" was at the heart of why this deal was made and frankly had to be made...Beckett had worn out his welcome, Crawford never would have been able to shed the weight of expectations, given the terms of his deal. Unfortunately Gonzalez, who had IMHO more than lived up to his billing, was the prize for the Dodgers. Who now have the middle of the order bat they coveted to team with Kemp and Ramirez giving them a lineup that matches up with any in the game. Gordon-Crawford-Kemp-Gonzalez-Ramirez-Eithier. Pretty stout. Add Beckett to the middle of the rotation and they're now positioned to make a very strong run...

For the Sox, the moneys saved will allow us to remake the team and undue  the flaws in the roster Cherington inherated from Epstein. The question that now remians is what the plan is moving forward. Heading into next season with Papi a free agent and Ellsbury in the last year of his deal and likely headed out of town. The Sox are left with Pedrioa and Middlebrooks under the teams control through 2015 as player to build the lineup around...

Job one, whether we like it or not is to find a couple of middle of the order bats 3-4 hole types and a leadoff hitter. A tall order and one that is going to take a few years to complete...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : From the ashes rises the phoenix... if this trade goes through as reported it's more about changing the current dynamics in the clubhouse and will now allow Cherington to rebuild the club with coaches and players that buy into the program...Like all trades, it takes a few years to truly weight the benefits...In this case the positives of the fiscal freedoms of sheding some 260M in contracts, along with sending a clear message to the lockeroom..."That a new day has dawned" was at the heart of why this deal was made and frankly had to be made...Beckett had worn out his welcome, Crawford never would have been able to shed the weight of expectations, given the terms of his deal. Unfortunately Gonzalez, who had IMHO more than lived up to his billing, was the prize for the Dodgers. Who now have the middle of the order bat they coveted to team with Kemp and Ramirez giving them a lineup that matches up with any in the game. Gordon-Crawford-Kemp-Gonzalez-Ramirez-Eithier. Pretty stout. Add Beckett to the middle of the rotation and they're now positioned to make a very strong run... For the Sox, the moneys saved will allow us to remake the team and undue  the flaws in the roster Cherington inherated from Epstein. The question that now remians is what the plan is moving forward. Heading into next season with Papi a free agent and Ellsbury in the last year of his deal and likely headed out of town. The Sox are left with Pedrioa and Middlebrooks under the teams control through 2015 as player to build the lineup around... Job one, whether we like it or not is to find a couple of middle of the order bats 3-4 hole types and a leadoff hitter. A tall order and one that is going to take a few years to complete...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Good post BT and a great move by the Sox.

I really like Gonzalez but unfortunately he had to be included to move the others imo.

I like Crawford too, but his injuries and ridiculous contract was a long term impediment to making the Sox a better contender.

I wish the Yankees could climb out from under Arods contract somehow.

Beckett is a club house cancer he had to go.

These moves will allow the Sox to now re-enter the FA market but to pick and chose in a manner to rebuild.

Lackey is the next contract that has to go.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harpua710. Show Harpua710's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : Although I wouldn't say I am anti-Gonzalez, you know I never really liked the deal to acquire him, the other decisions it affected, the contract, or his personality (other than he offered to play RF)............
    Gonzalez is a little over rated as a hitter.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal is Offical Acording to multiple sources! : I'm not in favor of it, notin. Lean years ahead. For those who are screaming to play the kids, will get their wish, child's play. things will get much worse, before they get better. BC went from the worst GM yesterday, to GM of the year today. Gives new meaning to the word fickle. Everyone remember next year when our record is worse, this was the "right move" 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

It probably WILL be worse next year. The year after the recovery should begin and in 2015, if this works out as planned, the team should begin to reap the benefits of this trade. We will only know how smart Cherington and LL were in hindsight: if the team is horrible in 2015 then they blew it; if we are relevant again, then they did their jobs. I will say this: SOMETHING had to be done to improve the SP, because without improvement in that area we were destined to go nowhere, every year.