Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Re: Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents

In Response to Re: Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents:
    [QUOTE]with all that said, danny I think this has as much to do with the opinion Gonzalez and Crawford weren't comfortable here and never would have been. the FO finally recognized it and decide to act on it.  It's an environment you either love or hate, thrive or fail. They have the guaranteed money and are going to an environment better suited for them. Will it give pause to future free agents, who are strictly after the big contract or will they think twice about playing in the big market? Hard too say, may depend how the organization handles things going forward. They need to refocus on the team, as opposed to the brand. 
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Well said J-bay. The Sox can start to finally refocus on TEAM.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

If the deal is the right move, it's the right move, period. 

If you think it's the wrong move, then start a post about that. 

Free agents already know the challenges of playing in Boston. 

You saw the picture Punto tweeted from the plane? These guys are psyched to be going to LA and all is well with them. 

It's not like the Sox sent them to Siberia. 

They have huge contracts and they are going to a great city. 

The real challenge with this deal will be what to do next. If the Red Sox really want to improve their view with free agents they can start by getting more clarity on organizational structure, improving lines of authority and communication across the baseball operations, and getting a long term management everyone can stand behind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

What people dont understand is baseball free agents care more about the money than how the team is viewed. If your offered 20 mil go play there ask crawford why he came to boston? bcs they offered him way more money than anyone in the running. What the red sox have to start doing from this day forward is not overpaying players. You like a player great pay him his future worth not his past stats. The red sox will have load of money freed up and the only talented player they lost was agonzo. Kid was a stud but you have to give up a good piece to drop two bowling balls. Crawford even in the NL will never be worth his contract, we got lucky getting rid of his contract as well as beckett. I never thought they would get someone dumb enough to take beckett and crawford in the same deal that was a homerun deal. We lost out on agonzo but he is a player we can replace by free agnecy.

agonzo= 21.8
    crawford=20.3
    beckett=17
     Almost 60mil in cap space for losing one productive player that is a homerun my friends. Rebuild smartly now and we could be back in the swing in the next couple seasons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyLefty. Show JohnnyLefty's posts

This is funny, you guys are talking about how word of mouth in baseball travels fast and everyone will hear how terrible playing in Boston is. Well word of mouth can travel just as fast and fix all that. Players will still be traded here, some players will still be here that was already currently here, and they will tell other players that the drama in Boston has been fixed. You think Ortiz won't want to come back here? WHY if he's still here when the season is over he'll probably think "Wow, I didn't get traded but Gonzalez and Crawford did? They must really like me here." The Red Sox have been nothing but loyal to him! If he doesn't realize that his agent will, because most likely his agent is a lot brighter than Ortiz and he'll have Ortiz recognize that fact. The fact of the matter is no one will offer Ortiz nearly the amount that the Sox will, and Ortiz and his agent realize that, and if Ortiz doesn't his agent will. Give it 2 years and the drama will be gone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from williamlineberry. Show williamlineberry's posts

Why all this concern about free agents? I thought that was the problem. Maybe now the FO can go about the business of developing home grown talent. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents : Why is it so hard to get that FA's will go to wherever they get the  most $....They'd play in Antartica if it they got an extra million dollars!!!!!
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you've heard of a fella named Cliff Lee, who turned down manhy more dead presidents offered elsewhere and returned to Philly.  He still got lots but not the most ... Or a guy named Roy Oswalt who said no to millions from teams from the East - where he did not want to pitch - gave up half a season and finally went with Texas ... one of two places he wanted.

My point?  Your premise is not 100% true all the time.  And I have heard - surely others have as well - that there ARE players who already did not want to come here.  Zack Greinke and Prince Fielder among them ...  

Some Red Sox fans have become ruthlessly mean and pointlessly cruel. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents : Perhaps you've heard of a fella named Cliff Lee, who turned down manhy more dead presidents offered elsewhere and returned to Philly.  He still got lots but not the most ... Or a guy named Roy Oswalt who said no to millions from teams from the East - where he did not want to pitch - gave up half a season and finally went with Texas ... one of two places he wanted. My point?  Your premise is not 100% true all the time.  And I have heard - surely others have as well - that there ARE players who already did not want to come here.  Zack Greinke and Prince Fielder among them ...   Some Red Sox fans have become ruthlessly mean and pointlessly cruel. 
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

and our own Mike Lowell, yaz, who took less money and one less year, to stay with the Red Sox

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think this trade will discourage free agents from signing with the Red Sox. Lowball offers are the only thing that would deter free agents from coming to Boston.
    Posted by davetheknave[/QUOTE]

actually, with the money freed up, big name free agents may have automatically gained the upper hand on any negotiations. they know the sox has the money. unless the fo stays disciplined on negotiations, they may end up overpaying on their next big name acquisitions.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think it sends exactly the right message to free agents. You don't sign with the Boston Red Sox expecting it to be a vacation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents

Maybe that is the intended, not the unintended, consequence. In other words, since most of the Red Sox recent big name free agent signings were complete busts, maybe this would be a blessing. Let them get back to some money ball type signings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]Utter and complete nonsense! 

No it is not and here is why your examples are wrong.

Did the decision to not resign Clemens, Pedro, Damon or Lowe prevent Lugo, Dice, Drew, Adrain or CC from signing?
    Clemens and Lowe were not resigned because of their fall off of performance in the last two years here. We also know Roger after that was a resurrection on PEDS.
    Pedro played both ends of the candle and pitted the RS against the Mets. Every time one made an offer he went back to the other. The RS said enough is enough. We all know how well he did after Boston.
    Damon had a contract offer from the NYY that did not allow the RS to counter so he went there.
    So the signings after were not tainted by the 4 guys you mention.

Not hold up their end of the bargain?  Did the checks bounce?
    It was the players performance on the field and attitude off the field that failed to hold up the bargain.
    Agon has lived up to his contract. Lugo, Drew and Dice were not what was expected. CC IMHO they gave up on too soon. Yes a bad year last year but the short time this year showed what he can do.

The goal is to win.  Grossly overpaying for pampered underachievers is not the way to do it.  The Sox are not going to become the Padres or the Royals.  This is about restoring a balanced approach to building a winner. 
    The next year and maybe longer we will be hoping that the KIDS perform. There is nothing in FA ville that will replace what Agon and CC bring to the table. What we are getting will not fill it either. We HOPE that the pitchers we get and the kids can perform. If they do not it will be longer than one year.  Oh yeah we have little to trade as well since the ones we will be depending upon are the ones we would trade.

Posted by Encinitas[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents : I came back after all the years when the RS would play great up to the All Star break and then fade into oblivion.   I came back after the RS gave up a 14 Game Lead only to have  Mike Torrez give up a 3 Run Home Run to weak hitting Bucky Dent in the 1978 One Game Playoff between the Sox and the Yankees. I came back after flying high by attending Game 5 of the 1986 World Series and watch the Sox go up 3 Games to 2 over the Mets.  Then disaster happens in game 6 and game 7.  But, I still came back. Lastly, I came back this year after the RS had the biggest collapse in Baseball History in 2011.   There was a time during this year that I had thought perhaps Epstein had made a deal with the Devil for those Two World Series Championships.   BTW, I'm not going to apologyze for wanting to actually like the players on any team that I'm a fan of. We don't know that Beckett will ever get back to being a #1 Starter.  In any event, if things had remained the same, I believe the team would have remained mediocre anyway because of being handcuffed by the massive contracts of these players.  Look, Agon is probably getting a bad rap.  Crawford is a decent guy who was given an outrageous amount of money.  I can't blame him or any of these guys for taking the money that was offered.   But if it takes getting rid of these two guys in order to get rid of Beckett than so be it.   Bobby V is probably an a--------hle.  But he inherited an absolute horror show. Under today's conditions, I don't know if anybody could have done better.   So the bottom line is yes I'll be back.   Will you?
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971[/QUOTE]

I never left.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Deal Might Be Right Move, But Sends Wrong Message To Future Free Agents :
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Jim, outstanding rebuttal. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think the Sox can survive without Ellsbury and Ortiz in the lineup--especially for 2013 The Red Sox "survived" without Ellsbury, for years. Ortiz is the Red Sox, though Ellsbury is more popular. At the end of the day, Ortiz is aging out. The Red Sox got rid of the cancer, Beckett, but they did so by paying million to get nothing. Ownership is simply washing it's hands of years of InEpsetin and Cherry. Ortiz should retire and not do the Frank Thomas and Wastefield thing. He should go out on top of his own game, he's had a great season, before the Red Sox leave a half a decade of expensive wilderness years for the rebuilding years.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]Just as I thought.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

No message needed; it is what it is. And that is a need for pitching that has been evident since last September.

No, it will not deter anyone from signing as a free agent; on the contrary.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes I can just see it now: Endless line of FA's refusing to sign here for top dollar and taking that all wonderful "hometown discount" or that more relaxed low salary in Cleveland.

You are all right, no FA would ever come here now.

I just heard Boras told all his guys "hey I'd love to get you top dollar but not in Boston. Lets go for that smaller deal in San Diego."

We got into this mess because dumb players who wanted top dollar and dumb FO personal made deals without either side asking "is this a good fit." Oh and don't forget the indifference of every players agent to wether it is the best fit.

Free Agents mindset is NOT GOING TO CHANGE. They want the $$$$$

Sections
Shortcuts