Deal this farce!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: Deal this farce!

I like the Willy Mo Pena connection.  If we are going to go that way though, let's trade Ells for Bronson Arroyo Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Yeh, he's right....  Somebody else has been getting these AllStar stats under Jacoby's name???

Do you simply enjoy sounding like a fool billbyboy???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

if ellsbury is a "superstar" what would be the problem with paying him the money? it isn't my money or yours. what is wrong with paying a homegrown "superstar"?
    would you begrudge youk, pedroia, or lester asking for or getting 20 mil per (based on performance only, not age)? personally, i would love it if ells has an mvp type season followed by a torrid postseason and w.s. mvp. who cares if it is a fluke or career year or whatever. i enjoy watching him play even if he doesn't take the best route to a fly ball.
    give it a rest. god forbid someone in our system actually is great.
    everybody sees it coming. he will either perform and earn the contract from the sox or he will not and will wear someone else's laundry. the f.o. will make the appropriate move when the time comes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Deal this farce!:
    Just some of the most idiotic posts ever on this thread. Wily Mo Pena is a better option? What are you smoking? This is a top notch young player and someone wants to rade him as if he was a liability. Why? Because Scott Boras is touting his value. Boo! Hoo! So what? If the Sox can spend Manny money on the likes of Cr-oh for-d, they can afford to re-sign Ellsbury when the time comes. And what's with this sophomoric Bellsbury crap?
    Posted by tbrod

Its a nickname thats listed right next to his name on baseball-reference
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Deal this farce!:
    Scott Boras pointed out that Jacoby Ellsbury 's combination of power, speed and defense is hard to find. “Your skill set to play centerfield and steal bases obviously generates itself around speed," the agent told Alex Speier of WEEI.com . " So, to go beyond and add an offensive power to that is hard to do . It’s a rare skill set.” ----- MLBTR Ellsbury has never show "offensive power" in his entire baseball career! 3 months of career high numbers v. RHP does not overshadow the career medians or the 2011 weak numbers v. LHP. This isn't even Marquis Grissom. Package he and his 8 to 13M over the next 2.5 years to a team with a real young star RH OF'er slugger, and tell his agent a last place team near API is a great stage for a FA contract seeker.
    Posted by billbyboy

Dont hate the player..hate the game..Of free agency that is..Ellsbury isnt your fight..Its with MLB and FA...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In Response to Re: Deal this farce! : Its a nickname thats listed right next to his name on baseball-reference http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/ellsbja01.shtml
    Posted by southpaw777

Southpaw, thanks for the info.  Thought it was created as an insult by some negative types posting on this forum.  It's actually legit!  Tacoby Bellsbury.  Wonder where that started?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Crawford is on the books for 142M Red Sox OF is a virtual zero v. LHP Ellsbury to 2013?
    Posted by billbyboy

as bad as it may seem Boston is actually very good against LHP

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Deal this farce! : Southpaw, thanks for the info.  Thought it was created as an insult by some negative types posting on this forum.  It's actually legit!  Tacoby Bellsbury.  Wonder where that started?
    Posted by rickerd2
    During the 2007 WS Taco Bell had a promotion where if someone stole a base they would give free tacos to any one in America who asked for one. Ellsbury stole the first base of the series.

Hence the nickname, which did not stick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Several people here and on other threads have said that Ellsbury "does not take the best routes to the ball," or variations on that theme. Are these people merely echoing one another, or are they making an independent judgment using their own evidence? If the latter, what is that evidence?  ( I do not trust defensive metrics at this stage. Too many variables are not accounted for. )  Is the evidence based on eyeballs?  How many instances? Two? Ten? Fiifteen?  How many times did the ball drop in because of a "bad route"?  Have people who make this judgment ever seen Ellsbury make a great catch? Did he do it only because he had to compensate for a bad route or bad jump?
    In short, let's hear something concrete and specific to support what has become a regular comment in passing.  
    People must watch an awful lot of baseball to think that first-hand observations of a play mostly on TV supply enough evidence to reach a conclusion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Love Ells and his line this year. My favorite player on the Red Sox. He has been critical to our success and will continue to be the catalyst for this team at the top of the order.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Several people here and on other threads have said that Ellsbury "does not take the best routes to the ball," or variations on that theme. Are these people merely echoing one another, or are they making an independent judgment using their own evidence? If the latter, what is that evidence?  ( I do not trust defensive metrics at this stage. Too many variables are not accounted for. )  Is the evidence based on eyeballs?  How many instances? Two? Ten? Fiifteen?  How many times did the ball drop in because of a "bad route"?  Have people who make this judgment ever seen Ellsbury make a great catch? Did he do it only because he had to compensate for a bad route or bad jump? In short, let's hear something concrete and specific to support what has become a regular comment in passing.   People must watch an awful lot of baseball to think that first-hand observations of a play mostly on TV supply enough evidence to reach a conclusion.
    Posted by expitch
    Let me narrow the questions somewhat. Have you observed that Ellsbury's first few steps launch him in the wrong direction, or that he simply drifts off track, or what? Or was the culprit a late jump? In itself this would not cause a bad route but might prevent getting to the ball on time to catch it. Are there instances where observers can say for sure that this has happened? How many? To be honest, I'll say that I've seen him appear to get a late jump on balls hit in front of him -- a couple of times.  But it's also true that balls hit directly at a centerfielder are the hardest to judge.  And sometimes the problem is a failure of communication amongst the outfielder and the middle infielders.    
    Judgments like these must be based on close and certain observation, and perhaps even knowledge of outfield positioning and communication to put Ellsbury's actions in full context.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Sometimes he gets a bad jump. He's human. At the same time he has a career Plus 8 UZR/150. The record indicates that he is an above average defensive CF and this year, with a plus 15.8, he is one of the better defensive CF in baseball.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Sometimes he gets a bad jump. He's human. At the same time he has a career Plus 8 UZR/150. The record indicates that he is an above average defensive CF and this year, with a plus 15.8, he is one of the better defensive CF in baseball.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom
    Thanks, Boomer, but, as I said, defensive metrics are suspect, at least in my mind. I will, however, go with the overall judgment until persuaded otherwise by people who talk about bad routes and bad jumps, and address questions I raised above.
    I've seen the best centerfielders not get to catchable balls over their heads or in front of them because they had trouble reading the ball off the bat. ( Torii Hunter twice in one game. )  It happens mostly to centerfielders because they have a flat angle on the plate, unlike the corner outfielders, who also occasionally have trouble with balls hit right at them.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

This thread iabout Ellsbury is insane, the guy plays good baseball.  If anything is a farce it's the RF of the Sox.
    Posted by 1861

You have to know the history.  Once upon a time, there was a knowledgable poster named Softlaw.  For some reason, he took a dislike to Ellsbury.  Then he started claiming everyone was comparing him to Ted, even though it was only some 90 y.o. guy that did so.  He was borderline obsessed last year.

But then Ellsbury started to dominate all of BB, arguably #2/3 in MVP consideration at this point.  The better Ells got, the worse Softlaw got.  Now he's reduced to blathering about Wily Mo Pena.

You might find it hard to beleive, based on what you see here, but somewhere underneath all that craziness is a knowledgeable BB fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

You and Softy have lost it.  Can you just enjoy the season?  Even if the Sox don't like Ellsbury, the Sox will get picks.  He is better than the result of any stupid, in-season trade they could make.  This is a moronic thread.
    Posted by jimdavis

What do you mean "you and softy"? He IS softy. Don't you know that? It's just the latest disguise. He was betterredthandead until he got banned, now he's billbyboy. Same mantra "trade Ellsbury", "cut Wastefield" ad absurdum.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Deal this farce! : What do you mean "you and softy"? He IS softy. Don't you know that? It's just the latest disguise. He was betterredthandead until he got banned, now he's billbyboy. Same mantra "trade Ellsbury", "cut Wastefield" ad absurdum.
    Posted by TheExaminer

If that is true, Softy has reached a new low...he would be posting and directly answering his own post with an argument.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In Response to Re: Deal this farce! : You have to know the history.  Once upon a time, there was a knowledgable poster named Softlaw.  For some reason, he took a dislike to Ellsbury.  Then he started claiming everyone was comparing him to Ted, even though it was only some 90 y.o. guy that did so.  He was borderline obsessed last year. But then Ellsbury started to dominate all of BB, arguably #2/3 in MVP consideration at this point.  The better Ells got, the worse Softlaw got.  Now he's reduced to blathering about Wily Mo Pena. You might find it hard to beleive, based on what you see here, but somewhere underneath all that craziness is a knowledgeable BB fan.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Nicely put.  Softy can actually be a very knowledgeable poster who contributes more than most to a conversation.  Only he seems to be on some type of crusade to rid NE of all people named Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury could rid the world of Cancer tomorrow and Softy would still hate him.  He seems so consumed with hate....for a baseball player....in a game...very sad when you think about it. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

I think Softy's ex-girlfriend (or ex-boyfriend) had a crush on Ellsbury, and drove Softy to become a message board (or bored)  participant.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Agreed, Kemp is some kind of player. But, if the Dodgers aren't interested in Ellsbury, your obsession with realizing this deal, is, well, un-realistic. And I would think their situation largely ties their hands regarding player movement, even ones that may be beneficial; such as salary dumping. Right now, the RS's 2 RH go-to guys are Youkilis & Pedroia; and that's nothing to sneeze at. Your doghouse is well documented and understood; everyone here gets it; now let it go.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

But then Ellsbury started to dominate all of BB, arguably #2/3 in MVP consideration at this point.  Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

2011 WAR A.L. Rank

1. Bautista            
    2. AGon
    3. Ellsbury
    4. Granderson
    5. Pedroia

"IF I can't understand it or this stat doesn't confirm my biased take, I denounce it"  Pick-up Driving Carpetbagger

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Pretty damning.

Sections
Shortcuts