Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck!

Theo needs to get a good starter asap. Andrew miller got hammered tonight by the rays who are by no means a high caliber offensive team are good and are one of our main competition. hopefully lester will get back soon giving us 2 good starts. That still leaves 3/5 of the rotation that needs improvement. Well ok 2/5 cause we know lackey aint going nowhere. We cant keep going forward with wake and miller. Wake is unreliable and hurts the team more than he helps it. He gives up more stolen bases than any other pitcher in the league and cannot field his position. He relies on one pitch and if thats off then he is useless. miller has been average so far and when he finally had to face good competition he crumbled. Walked 5 batters in 2 innings and gave up 7 runs. (just how he would do against the yankees) Miller could maybe be a bullpen guy but he just does not have the make up to be a successful starter. So what are our options? 

1. Trade(the best option)
    2. Call up (already called up weiland, doubront could be next)
    3. stand pat (not really an option unless we dont want to make the playoffs)

In terms of trades there are, there are a few interesting options:

Matt Garza, Francisco Liriano, Hiroki Kuroda, and Ubaldo Jimenez.

Lets start with kuroda, plain and simple no thanks. He is 36 and has pitched his entire career in the NL. 

Liriano is an interesting option but i think at this point he is too much of a wildcard. You never know what you are going to get from him. 

Garza is a solid option and the most realistic. I dont think he will cost as much as people tend to think. He is a number 2 starter at best and the cubs are going knowhere and after this year he will get much more expensive. 

The last option is Ubaldo Jimenez. He would be by far the best pitcher available but would also cost the most. Why are the rockies considering trading him? A couple of reasons. The first being that they just gave out huge contracts to tulo and cargo and giving out a third to jimenez would use up a large amount of the teams payroll moving forward. The second reason is they need to build up their farm system and an injection of 3-5 high quality prospects would do just that. So what are the rockies looking to get back? Well in the sox case the deal would have to start with anthony ranaudo and go from there. Would i give up ranaudo to jimenez? Heck yes! Imagine the rotation:

beckett
    lester
    jimenez
    buchholz
    lackey

I would say that matches the phillies rotation which is the best in the NL. One other reason why the sox should go after him? The evil empire. The yankees will no doubt be in on jimenez as starting pitcher is there biggest weakness along bullpen. There has already been reports that the yanks had a scout watching ubaldo's last start(there were a report 17 scouts at the game). I am willing to bet that the sox had a scout at the game as well. Pitchers of ubaldo's age and caliber do not become available often. Even though the sox need a right fielder, i would much go after jimenez and upgrade the rotation and start josh reddick. We can worry about right field on the offseason once drew is gone and we have had a better look a josh reddick. Also by then we should have a better understanding as to where ryan kalish is at and if he will need surgery or not. What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Re: Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck!

DFA Wastefield and give Aceves or Weiland a chance. Everyone else is fine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck!:
    The last option is Ubaldo Jimenez. He would be by far the best pitcher available but would also cost the most. Why are the rockies considering trading him? A couple of reasons. The first being that they just gave out huge contracts to tulo and cargo and giving out a third to jimenez would use up a large amount of the teams payroll moving forward. The second reason is they need to build up their farm system and an injection of 3-5 high quality prospects would do just that. So what are the rockies looking to get back? Well in the sox case the deal would have to start with anthony ranaudo and go from there. Would i give up ranaudo to jimenez? Heck yes!
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Do the Red Sox have "3-5 high quality prospects" to trade for Ubaldo Jimenez?

Does the Colorado farm system need an infusion from a Red Sox farm system that some rank below the Rockies' farm system?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-talent-rankings/2011/2611472.html

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/10/2011-farm-system-rankings/

What is the trade value of Anthony Ranaudo, a nearly 22-year-old who has experienced a rough introduction to the High A Carolina League?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519168

The Red Sox have the league's best record despite questions surrounding the starting rotation*. I doubt the Red Sox would be willing to further deplete the farm system to make a substantial upgrade in the rotation.

* Here is where the Red Sox starters rank in Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/teams.aspx?pos=all&lg=al&stats=sta&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

Can you tell me how good Ubaldo's been this year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck!:
    Can you tell me how good Ubaldo's been this year?
    Posted by zack5042

Ubaldo Jimenez has posted a 3.42 FIP* and 2.4 WAR** in 18 starts covering 110 innings this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3374&position=P

Compare those numbers to those posted by Red Sox starters:

http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?team=RedSox&pos=all&stats=sta&qual=0&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011

* Fielding Independent Pitching as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/pitching/fip/

** Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ok but heres the thing you have to remember, if the sox dont go after ubaldo and at the very minimum drive the price up on him for the yankees to a really hige amount, then the yanks will get him. Can the sox afford to let the yanks get ubaldo? No. Unless the sox plan on going after someone like hunter pence and at the same time pick up a pitcher like garza. Pitching wins championships. Just ask the san francisco giants. And the fact of the matter is that the sox dont have good pitching. Once lester comes back which hopefuly will be soon, the will have 2 good pitchers out of 5. Buchholz will not be back till august at some point. Lackey, wake, aceves, and miller have been a crap shoot in the rotation thus far and there is no reason to believe that any of them will improve. We all saw what happened to miller the minute he had to face a good team. He crumbled and was afraid to throw strikes. Imagine how he would fair against teams like the yankees, rangers, etc. Now we have kyle weiland starting for us and so far he aint lookin to good but he will at least get one more start to prove his worth. What needs to be done at the deadline is getting a quality starter. A number 3 starter would be ideal. Buchholz is a good pitcher but he is not reliable enough in terms of durability to secure the number 3 spot and as a result is more of a number 4. We passed on johan santana, fine. We passed on signing CC Sabathia, fine. We need a big time starter and that guy is ubaldo jimenez. And ya he got off to a slow start in the first half but keep in mind he missed quite a few games. Ubaldo is perfect for this team. He is young (27 yrs old), he throws heat, and on most teams would be an ace. If we add him at the deadline and a good reliever like mike adams we are set for the stretch run. Right field can be figured out in the offseason. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

And what exactly, are you going to trade to get a world beater like Mike Adams? Not to mention the fact there hasn't even been a whiff of a rumor about him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

all one has to do is look at the phillies, the best team in the NL. Look at their rotation. Halladay, lee, oswalt, hamels. There top 2 could all be aces for other teams. And then you have a guy like cole hamels as there number 4 who i would equate to a clay buchholz. Our halladay would be beckett, our lee would lester, our oswalt would be ________? Lackey? wakefield? miller? Our biggest need is a number 3 starter. The sox can hit, so i would not worry too much about right field. Plus reddick has done great so far. And the guys who will likely be available at the deadline probably wont be much of an upgrade. We need pitching. Plain and simple. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox reportedly had one prospect (Will Middlebrook at No. 42) on Keith Law's midseason prospect list and one (Anthony Ranaudo at No. 37) on Baseball America's midseason prospect list:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/07/midseason-top-50-prospects-list/

I doubt those two players and lesser prospects be enough to land 3-1/3 years of Ubaldo Jimenez at about $19 million total.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The only guys the pads would not trade are latos and rizzo. There bullpen guys are all available. Especially bell and adams who will be free agents i believe after this year. They are going nowhere and there is no reason to hang on to those guys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

The Red Sox reportedly had one prospect (Will Middlebrook at No. 42) on Keith Law's midseason prospect list and one (Anthony Ranaudo at No. 37)  on Baseball America's  midseason prospect list: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/07/midseason-top-50-prospects-list/ I doubt those two players and lesser prospects be enough to land 3-1/3 years of Ubaldo Jimenez at about $19 million total.
    Posted by hill55

If the sox offered up those2 the padres would be crazy not to listen. Ya the sox would have to add in a few more guys no doubt. My guess would be an outfielder and maybe middle infielder or another pitcher. So lets say navarro and weiland/doubront. So the package would be ranuado, middlebrooks, navarro, weiland/doubront. That would be a pretty tempting package. Middlebrooks has huge value and the rockies need a 3B. And isnt ubaldo arb eligable after this year?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

all one has to do is look at the phillies, the best team in the NL. Look at their rotation. Halladay, lee, oswalt, hamels. There top 2 could all be aces for other teams. And then you have a guy like cole hamels as there number 4 who i would equate to a clay buchholz. Our halladay would be beckett, our lee would lester, our oswalt would be ________? Lackey? wakefield? miller? Our biggest need is a number 3 starter. The sox can hit, so i would not worry too much about right field. Plus reddick has done great so far. And the guys who will likely be available at the deadline probably wont be much of an upgrade. We need pitching. Plain and simple. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Clay Buchholz has clear value when he is healthy, but the righthander falls far short of the value of lefthander Cole Hamels (who is less than eight months older than Buchholz).

Hamels has been valued at 22.8 WAR* in 168 career starts while Buchholz has been valued at 7.5 WAR in 78 career games, including 76 starts. Roughly half of Buchholz's career WAR came from the 3.7 he posted last season. Hamels' WAR has been 2.5 in 2007, 3.8 in 2008, 4.4 in 2009, 3.8 in 2010 and 4.1 so far this season.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4972&position=P
    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3543&position=P

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

And dont forget about that guy we have name Ryan Lavarnway. He is mashing in AAA and if the rockies want a young 1B we could send lars anderson there way. We actually match up quite well with the rockies. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck! : If the sox offered up those2 the padres would be crazy not to listen. Ya the sox would have to add in a few more guys no doubt. My guess would be an outfielder and maybe middle infielder or another pitcher. So lets say navarro and weiland/doubront. So the package would be ranuado, middlebrooks, navarro, weiland/doubront. That would be a pretty tempting package. Middlebrooks has huge value and the rockies need a 3B. And isnt ubaldo arb eligable after this year?
    Posted by redsoxpride34

Ubaldo Jimenez is signed through 2012 with club options for 2013 and 2014 (although if traded Jimenez may void the 2014 option, reducing the contract cost to about $11 million for 2-1/3 years).

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/colorado-rockies.html

Jimenez would not be a two-month rental but instead would be controlled for years at a below-market price. I doubt the Rockies would trade Jimenez for anything less than consensus elite prospects (and the Red Sox may have none).

Colorado thirdbase prospect Nolan Arenado ranked 43rd on Keith Law's midseason prospect list, just behind the 42nd-place ranking of Will Middlebrooks (who is 2-1/2 years older than Arenado). Middlebrooks failed to make Baseball America's midseason list, which ranked Arenado at No. 46:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/07/midseason-top-50-prospects-list/

Baseball America ranked Colorado catching prospect Wilin Rosario No. 28, negating at least some of the Rockies' interest in unranked Ryan Lavarnway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Yeah, let's make a desperation trade and get rid of whatever so-so talent we have in the farm system. Seems reasonable. 

"an injection of 3-5 high quality prospects would do just that. "

LMAO re: "high quality prospects." I think you were looking at your fantasy league roster when you posted this. 

We have a few decent prospects and it's understandable Theo wouldn't rush to package them for whatever mediocrity he could get in return.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Dear Mr.Epstein, get us a pitcher who doesn't suck! : Clay Buchholz has clear value when he is healthy, but the righthander falls far short of the value of lefthander Cole Hamels (who is less than eight months older than Buchholz). Hamels has been valued at 22.8 WAR* in 168 career starts while Buchholz has been valued at 7.5 WAR in 78 career games, including 76 starts. Roughly half of Buchholz's career WAR came from the 3.7 he posted last season. Hamels' WAR has been 2.5 in 2007, 3.8 in 2008, 4.4 in 2009, 3.8 in 2010 and 4.1 so far this season.
    Posted by hill55
    hill, I am not quite sure what the asterisk in the drivel you posted means. Is it a signal for the Barry Bonds HR record?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Chan Ho Park is pitching in Japan.  Theo can give him a call.  LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Classic Red Sox fan over reaction to one loss.  If they run off 6 wins in a row we can all jump off a bridge after the next loss.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaPrince77. Show DaPrince77's posts

Unlike the poster, I'm a big fan of Tim Wakefield, and what he gives to the Sox every year is a bargain. That being said, I am not exactly excited to see him take the ball every fifth day. Simply put,  the Red Sox "starting-rotation" has too many questions, I mean are we really supposed to keep counting on Andrew Miller (aka "the project"), John Lackey  (aka "the head-case"), and Tim Wakefield (aka "the old-man")? If so, "WE"RE" making things too difficult for ourselves.

A team like the Red Sox that is playing for "it-all" every year, definetly could use a solid veteran who can pitsh in the AL East, hello Matt Garza.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

At least 95% of trade proposals posted here by Sox fans make absolutely no sense for the other team.  We want top players for guys that we deem expendable.  Please, do you really think the Rockies are going to give up some thing to get Lars Anderson.  The guy has lost his prospect status.  He's a 1B that doesn't hit for a great avg and has little power.

It's great to throw out names like Jimenez or Garza but at least suggest something reasonable that may work for both teams.

Sections
Shortcuts